Page 147 of 205 FirstFirst ... 4797137144145146147148149150157197 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,205 of 3070

Thread: The One Truth's Lounge Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by BeastOfBologna View Post
    good performance ... is that the same blonde that is usually on the left side ... she sounds different if it is? ...
    Well, it's the same three women, but in the last couple of performances where all three of them were featured, Kat has always taken the lead and thus been at the center ─ she has an immense vocal range. And in this video here, Pina and Lesley have swapped places compared to the video where they did "Fantasy" from Earth, Wind & Fire. Lesley is now on the left and Pina is now on the right.

However, in the "Sara" video, Kat was on the left, indeed.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (10th November 2021), Emil El Zapato (5th November 2021), Wind (5th November 2021)

Thanks
    A cookie for who can name the lead guitarist on this track without looking it up. The man's playing style and phrasing should be more than enough of a clue.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (10th November 2021), Emil El Zapato (6th November 2021), modwiz (7th November 2021), Wind (6th November 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    A cookie for who can name the lead guitarist on this track without looking it up. The man's playing style and phrasing should be more than enough of a clue.

Interesting, Steely Dan has always been one of my favorite 'easy listening' musical groups but in terms of exceptional musicianship not really but I guess the guitarist is unique in style and innovative quality. I don't know musicians by name much so I had to cheat but it is interesting.

I have one for you => Who is Colonel Andre Almond? No direct cheating ... This might be a tough one

Here's another hint ... a big one. Colonel Wilfried de Bouwer.
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 6th November 2021 at 17:40.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th November 2021), Dreamtimer (10th November 2021), Wind (6th November 2021)

Thanks
    Steely Dan has always been one of my favorite 'easy listening' musical groups but in terms of exceptional musicianship not really [...]
    Steely Dan, "easy-listening" and mediocre musicianship? It's jazz, for crying out loud!

Well, okay, since nobody hazarded a guess, the guitarist on this particular album ─ and they've had many guitarists over the years ─ was Larry Carlton.

I have one for you => Who is Colonel Andre Almond? No direct cheating ... This might be a tough one

Here's another hint ... a big one. Colonel Wilfried de Bouwer.
    I don't know André Almond, but I do know who Wilfried De Brouwer is ─ by the way, it's "De Brouwer", with an "r", and he's not a colonel anymore now, because he got promoted later and he's retired now. He was the Belgian Air Force officer in charge of the investigation of the black triangle UFO flap of the late 1980s and early 1990s. He later on also joined Steven Greer's Disclosure Project.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (10th November 2021), Emil El Zapato (6th November 2021), Wind (6th November 2021)

Thanks
    Steely Dan, "easy-listening" and mediocre musicianship? It's jazz, for crying out loud!

Well, okay, since nobody hazarded a guess, the guitarist on this particular album ─ and they've had many guitarists over the years ─ was Larry Carlton.

I don't know André Almond, but I do know who Wilfried De Brouwer is ─ by the way, it's "De Brouwer", with an "r", and he's not a colonel anymore now, because he got promoted later and he's retired now. He was the Belgian Air Force officer in charge of the investigation of the black triangle UFO flap of the late 1980s and early 1990s. He later on also joined Steven Greer's Disclosure Project.
    yeah, I saw Larry Carlton, he impressed many with his style ... Jazz is certainly innovative, but Steely Dan is way too 'steady' to be notable to me beyond 'really nice to listen to'. I bought 'Gaucho' as a cassette tape. (I'm trying to avoid the word 'mainstream'

Colonel Almond was the guy that was spit on by Colonel, later major general and head of something something or other in the Belgian intelligence services, Brouwer. Almond and his wife reported a UFO encounter and were ignored by officialdom ...

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th November 2021), Dreamtimer (10th November 2021), Wind (6th November 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    A couple of years ago I bought my first and only Steely Dan album, on vinyl. It's Aja.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwyTrWJ7Djw

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th November 2021), Dreamtimer (10th November 2021), Emil El Zapato (6th November 2021)

Thanks
    Travis Scott of Houston, Texas

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a8PgqWrc_4

My daughter declined an offer to work this event as emergency medical personnel, she declined because it didn't feel 'right' She said it was just 'off'

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    A couple of years ago I bought my first and only Steely Dan album, on vinyl. It's Aja.

That one also has Larry Carlton on guitar ─ unmistakably, even ─ as well as Michael McDonald on backing vocals and keyboards. He too is a very recognizable artist, because of his voice, his musical writing style and his meticulous keyboard work.

After leaving Steely Dan, Michael McDonald joined the Doobie Brothers together with former Steely Dan guitarist Jeff "Skunk" Baxter, where he scored such hits as "What A Fool Believes". And like Larry Carlton and Baxter, he has also done lots of session work ─ among others, with Toto and Christopher Cross ─ as well as built up a respectable solo career of his own.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (10th November 2021), Emil El Zapato (6th November 2021), modwiz (7th November 2021), Wind (7th November 2021)

Thanks
    Wheel turnin' 'round and 'round

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQnW-MxAU6U

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th November 2021), Dreamtimer (10th November 2021), Emil El Zapato (7th November 2021)

Thanks
    Wheel turnin' 'round and 'round
    That one's a classic.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (10th November 2021), Emil El Zapato (7th November 2021), Wind (7th November 2021)

Thanks
    Their best one, imo.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th November 2021), Dreamtimer (10th November 2021), Emil El Zapato (8th November 2021)

Thanks

That one also has Larry Carlton on guitar ─ unmistakably, even ─ as well as Michael McDonald on backing vocals and keyboards. He too is a very recognizable artist, because of his voice, his musical writing style and his meticulous keyboard work.
    I have to correct myself here. The guitarist on the "Aja" album was not Larry Carlton but Jay Graydon. Their styles are however very similar, and Larry Carlton was definitely the guitarist on the "The Royal Scam" album, from which "Kid Charlemagne" was an outtake.

One could therefore be forgiven for thinking it was Larry Carlton on "Aja", specifically because of the likeness between the chord progression and keyboard sound of "Peg" and those in Larry's own "Room 335". As it is, Larry Carlton did not play on "Peg", and the song itself was written by Donald Fagen and Michael McDonald, with whom Larry would collaborate later as well.

Steely Dan was primarily a studio band, and apart from Donald Fagen and Walter Becker, just about every other band member on each of their albums and in their live performances was a session musician. Larry Carlton and Michael McDonald were no exceptions to that rule, and both of them have worked with countless other musicians and bands over the years, as well as that they've enjoyed a solo career. I've already mentioned Michael McDonald's stint with the Doobie Brothers and his session work with Toto and Christopher Cross ─ who himself has also done session work, and every member of Toto also did session work for others.

Larry Carlton has repeatedly toured with Lee Ritenour, who has also been in Steely Dan at some point. Larry was also one of the founding members of The Crusaders, who ─ with the help of singer Randy Crawford ─ would score a modest pop chart success with the song "Street Life" somewhere around 1980, as well as that Larry was also a member of the jazz-fusion band Fourplay, where he took over on lead guitar from his buddy Lee Ritenour.

The world of session musicians is actually quite small. Yes, there are many session cats, but only the really good ones manage to survive, and they all know one another. Because these are all people who are passionate about music, and so apart from their session work for other artists, they also write material of their own and then look for quality musicians with whom they can record said material and/or play it before a live audience. And if you've been hanging out at the studio with the best of the best, then generally, you yourself will also be considered among the best of the best, and then you commonly have loads of fantastic musicians lining up to work with you on your own material. In some cases, this leads to so-called superbands ─ generally short-lived, but good enough to draw in lots of people.

The Dukes Of September is such a superband, with Donald Fagen, Michael McDonald and Boz Scaggs, who himself was the initial "musical employer" of Jeff Porcaro, Steve Porcaro, David Hungate and (later) Steve Lukather, all of Toto. The drummer for the Dukes is Shannon Forrest, who has been Toto's drummer on their most recent tours after Simon Phillips left the band. Another such superband was Chickenfoot, with singer Sammy Hagar (ex-Van Halen and ex-Montrose), guitarist Joe Satriani, bass player Michael Anthony (Van Halen) and drummer Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers).

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (10th November 2021), Emil El Zapato (9th November 2021), Wind (9th November 2021)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Travis Scott of Houston, Texas

My daughter declined an offer to work this event as emergency medical personnel, she declined because it didn't feel 'right' She said it was just 'off'
    Dr Grande already has a video out about it. As do others. I saw some clips of attendees who spoke of bad energy and things not feeling right. I saw a security guard interviewed who was hired but not required to show any credentials.

I also saw a small amount of footage from other concerts where Travis eggs the crowd on regarding violence.

He may be letting things get out of control while he's too much in his own head with his 'power' over the crowd. Crowds get out of control and then it's just the mob mentality. There were more than 50K people jammed together. And a very young crowd too.

I see from the video that folks were already getting run over by others before the show. That's a scary mentality from the get-go.

So sad.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th November 2021), Emil El Zapato (10th November 2021), Wind (11th November 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Dr Grande already has a video out about it. As do others. I saw some clips of attendees who spoke of bad energy and things not feeling right. I saw a security guard interviewed who was hired but not required to show any credentials.

I also saw a small amount of footage from other concerts where Travis eggs the crowd on regarding violence.

He may be letting things get out of control while he's too much in his own head with his 'power' over the crowd. Crowds get out of control and then it's just the mob mentality. There were more than 50K people jammed together. And a very young crowd too.

I see from the video that folks were already getting run over by others before the show. That's a scary mentality from the get-go.

So sad.
    yeah, completely bad news. A security guard/cop apparently was surreptitiously inoculated with a drug (maybe). The emergency personnel did administer NARCAN and evidently saved his life.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th November 2021), Dreamtimer (10th November 2021), Wind (11th November 2021)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I met a woman, many years ago, who lost her brother because someone stuck a needle in him at a party and dosed him with heroin.

Dosing folks has been around for a while. "Slipping someone a mickey" is an old phrase.

And it's as effed up as ever.

I always wonder, who would do such a thing?

Even inebriated, I wouldn't do such a thing to someone.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th November 2021), Emil El Zapato (10th November 2021), Wind (11th November 2021)