Page 69 of 200 FirstFirst ... 19596667686970717279119169 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 2998

Thread: Trump: Illusion, Mist and Bought?

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,144 Times in 1,444 Posts
    The balloon in the image of Trump, which was granted by Sadiq Khan the Mayor of London, I feel was ignorant and childish and just about summed up the intelligence of those not representing me.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kathy For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th July 2018), Aragorn (16th July 2018), Dreamtimer (16th July 2018), Elen (16th July 2018), Emil El Zapato (17th July 2018), Melidae (17th July 2018), Wind (16th July 2018)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Kathy View Post
    The balloon in the image of Trump, which was granted by Sadiq Khan the Mayor of London, I feel was ignorant and childish and just about summed up the intelligence of those not representing me.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th July 2018), Aragorn (16th July 2018), Dreamtimer (16th July 2018), Emil El Zapato (17th July 2018), Kathy (16th July 2018), Wind (16th July 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR2AiXDyf3I

"Published on Jul 14, 2018 by Earthling Carl 2

Sadiq Khan and James O'Brien are massive hypocrites.

I will be uploading new Earthling Carl videos to this channel until September when I can upload again to the main channel."

Sadiq Khan has taken offence to a balloon deriding him. lol.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kathy For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (17th July 2018), Aragorn (16th July 2018), Dreamtimer (16th July 2018), Elen (16th July 2018), Emil El Zapato (17th July 2018), Melidae (17th July 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    The lessons of history unlearned lead to its repeat:

Something happened today at my church that gives me hope. First, the background.

I'm a retired Army officer, my wife is a retired teacher, we live in a rural Virginia county that consistently votes 60-40 Republican. The prejudice against Democrats and people of color here reminds me of my SW Mississippi home where I grew up, 1944 - 1962.

Our United Methodist Church is small -- 150 members, most of them elderly, weekly attendance 50-55, a small group of us do everything at the church from cutting the grass to putting on fish fries and community outreach days.

There are two foreign-born couples in our church, British and Dutch. All four of them are my age -- mid-70's; all born in their native countries in the closing days of WW II. All are US citizens now, though they go back home at least once a year. The Brits are members of our local Democratic Party while the Dutch couple are Republicans.

On the second Sunday of each month we have a pot-luck lunch after church service -- church furnishes barbecue and fried chicken, we all bring sides and desserts.

One of our regular members is an outspoken Republican, to the point of getting on a lot of nerves. We were seated at a round table today at the potluck -- wife and I, the Brits, the Dutch couple, the outspoken Republican and silent wife, and the former pastor of the church.

We had barely sat down before the outspoken Republican asked the Brits and Dutch why Trump had been treated so badly over the past few days. Silence. Then, the Brits and the Dutch unloaded on him with heavy artillery. Here is a summary of what they said -

Both British and Dutch couples said:

“We were born in the last days of WW II. We grew up watching our towns, cities, roads, bridges, industries being rebuilt from the destruction brought on us by one man -- Adolf Hitler.”

“More than the physical recovery was the mental, emotional and political recovery. We asked ourselves for years and years -- and some of us still ask ourselves -- how was it possible for a man and a system that evil to come to power?”

Then the Dutch lady stood up.

"My father was a wealthy businessman who knew Otto Frank, Anne Frank's father. We Europeans study our history and we know how Hitler came to power. We are determined that it will not happen again. I'm a Republican but I did not vote for Trump and I will not vote for Trump because when I look at Trump and when I listen to Trump I see and hear Hitler. You want to know why Europeans don't like Trump? Because we were destroyed by Nazis and Trump is a Nazi. You Americans do not see what Trump is doing because you never lived through it. We lived through Hitler. Never, never again."

And she sat down.
    By that time, many of us were almost in tears. The Republican's wife tugged at his sleeve, whispered in his ear, and they left.

As the conversation went on, people seated nearby became quiet and listened. After the Republican couple left . . . well, let's just say it was an emotional few minutes that ended in prayers for our nation. The pastor pronounced a benediction -- Amos 5:24:

But let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream!

Old Redneck

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (17th July 2018), Aragorn (16th July 2018), Elen (16th July 2018), Emil El Zapato (17th July 2018)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,908 Times in 1,858 Posts
    I really don’t think that Trump is a Nazi. I remember how the exact same accusations were thrown at W and it turned out to be completely unfair and unwarranted. In terms of his personality perhaps there are some parallels with Mussolini, but I think he is much more Berlusconi than the former. He has not done anything, as far as I’m concerned that would warrant comparisons to Hitler.

If anything, my main criticism of him is his unquestioning loyalty to Netanyahu and the Israel lobby. I have the same problem with my own dear leader, Viktor Orban, who has been best buds with Netanyahu for two decades and is Israel’s best friend in Europe. Not that I have anything against Israel as a country, but the current government’s warmongering and bloodcurdling threats against Palestinians living in the Occupied Territories is way beyond the pale.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (17th July 2018), Aragorn (16th July 2018), Dreamtimer (16th July 2018), Elen (16th July 2018), Emil El Zapato (17th July 2018), Kathy (16th July 2018), Melidae (17th July 2018), Wind (16th July 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,177 Times in 11,952 Posts
    It's better than he deserves, Kathy...seriously...the intellectual impetus and image is on a par with the intellectual source.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR2AiXDyf3I

"Published on Jul 14, 2018 by Earthling Carl 2

Sadiq Khan and James O'Brien are massive hypocrites.

I will be uploading new Earthling Carl videos to this channel until September when I can upload again to the main channel."

Sadiq Khan has taken offence to a balloon deriding him. lol.
    The Pig is patently the superior human.

Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    The lessons of history unlearned lead to its repeat:

Something happened today at my church that gives me hope. First, the background.

I'm a retired Army officer, my wife is a retired teacher, we live in a rural Virginia county that consistently votes 60-40 Republican. The prejudice against Democrats and people of color here reminds me of my SW Mississippi home where I grew up, 1944 - 1962.

Our United Methodist Church is small -- 150 members, most of them elderly, weekly attendance 50-55, a small group of us do everything at the church from cutting the grass to putting on fish fries and community outreach days.

There are two foreign-born couples in our church, British and Dutch. All four of them are my age -- mid-70's; all born in their native countries in the closing days of WW II. All are US citizens now, though they go back home at least once a year. The Brits are members of our local Democratic Party while the Dutch couple are Republicans.

On the second Sunday of each month we have a pot-luck lunch after church service -- church furnishes barbecue and fried chicken, we all bring sides and desserts.

One of our regular members is an outspoken Republican, to the point of getting on a lot of nerves. We were seated at a round table today at the potluck -- wife and I, the Brits, the Dutch couple, the outspoken Republican and silent wife, and the former pastor of the church.

We had barely sat down before the outspoken Republican asked the Brits and Dutch why Trump had been treated so badly over the past few days. Silence. Then, the Brits and the Dutch unloaded on him with heavy artillery. Here is a summary of what they said -

Both British and Dutch couples said:

By that time, many of us were almost in tears. The Republican's wife tugged at his sleeve, whispered in his ear, and they left.

As the conversation went on, people seated nearby became quiet and listened. After the Republican couple left . . . well, let's just say it was an emotional few minutes that ended in prayers for our nation. The pastor pronounced a benediction -- Amos 5:24:

Old Redneck
    I heard retired General Haden speak today. He said the Armed Forces are asking themselves what they represent in light of the Commander-in-Chief. He seemed genuinely saddened.

Quote Originally posted by Chris View Post
    I really don’t think that Trump is a Nazi. I remember how the exact same accusations were thrown at W and it turned out to be completely unfair and unwarranted. In terms of his personality perhaps there are some parallels with Mussolini, but I think he is much more Berlusconi than the former. He has not done anything, as far as I’m concerned that would warrant comparisons to Hitler.

If anything, my main criticism of him is his unquestioning loyalty to Netanyahu and the Israel lobby. I have the same problem with my own dear leader, Viktor Orban, who has been best buds with Netanyahu for two decades and is Israel’s best friend in Europe. Not that I have anything against Israel as a country, but the current government’s warmongering and bloodcurdling threats against Palestinians living in the Occupied Territories is way beyond the pale.
    Did anyone conclude whether or not they were dealing with a psychopath. Trump wins that battle hands down.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (17th July 2018), Aragorn (17th July 2018), Dreamtimer (17th July 2018), Kathy (17th July 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,481 Times in 7,284 Posts
    I will commend Trump for one thing. It seems that he actually wants peace with Russia unlike the rest of the west... It's almost if the war hawks of the west truly would another cold war with the big bear. Wasn't there enough scares of nuclear war before? That doesn't make Russia a good country nor Putin a good guy. He's a dictator, but he isn't dumb nor insane. Trump is a clown, but he isn't dumb or insane either. I think it was a good idea for our president to invite Putin and Trump here. Give credit where credit is due, working for peace is always a good thing even if highly faulty people are making those decisions.

Btw, this is coming from someone who is in the neighbour state of Russia, we have a massive border between us and them. This was the only country around the baltic region that didn't fall under the rulership of Stalin and the soviet union, we had to pay a big price for that.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (17th July 2018), Aragorn (17th July 2018), Dreamtimer (17th July 2018), Elen (17th July 2018), Emil El Zapato (17th July 2018), Kathy (17th July 2018), Melidae (17th July 2018), modwiz (17th July 2018)

Thanks
    the danger is that if Putin is left to his own devices he just might come calling. Here in the U.S they're talking treason...it is one thing to want peace, it is quite another to throw an entire country under the bus for personal reasons.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (17th July 2018), Aragorn (17th July 2018), Dreamtimer (17th July 2018), Elen (17th July 2018), Kathy (17th July 2018), Wind (17th July 2018)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    I will commend Trump for one thing. It seems that he actually wants peace with Russia unlike the rest of the west... It's almost if the war hawks of the west truly would another cold war with the big bear. Wasn't there enough scares of nuclear war before? That doesn't make Russia a good country nor Putin a good guy. He's a dictator, but he isn't dumb nor insane. Trump is a clown, but he isn't dumb or insane either. I think it was a good idea for our president to invite Putin and Trump here. Give credit where credit is due, working for peace is always a good thing even if highly faulty people are making those decisions.

Btw, this is coming from someone who is in the neighbour state of Russia, we have a massive border between us and them. This was the only country around the baltic region that didn't fall under the rulership of Stalin and the soviet union, we had to pay a big price for that.
    I'm with you Brother!!

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (17th July 2018), Aragorn (17th July 2018), Dreamtimer (17th July 2018), Emil El Zapato (18th July 2018), Kathy (17th July 2018), Melidae (17th July 2018), modwiz (17th July 2018), Wind (17th July 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Peace with Russia would be great. I don't believe that is Trump's motive. I believe his motives are personal. As in money, money and money.

I'm not sure how long peace lasts in a system of oligarchs and corporations that have all the rights of a person and more money than many countries. I don't know what quality of peace that brings.

Usually the money guys want more wars and prisons because they make easy profit.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (22nd July 2018), Aragorn (17th July 2018), Elen (19th July 2018), Emil El Zapato (18th July 2018), Wind (17th July 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    When Trump gave the okay to bomb Syria, no doubt at Netinyahu's "suggestion", he instructed that no area under Putin's jurisdiction should be touched, and those orders were carried out. Whilst I do not agree that Syria should have been touched at all, in light of the pressure from corporations' lust for war profits, I feel that Trump made a soft approach, although I wish he had not reacted at all.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kathy For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (22nd July 2018), Dreamtimer (17th July 2018), Elen (19th July 2018), Emil El Zapato (18th July 2018), Wind (17th July 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 81,103 Times in 20,306 Posts
    Peace with Russia would be great. I don't believe that is Trump's motive. I believe his motives are personal. As in money, money and money.
    I think you're very close to the mark with that one.

I'm not sure how long peace lasts in a system of oligarchs and corporations that have all the rights of a person and more money than many countries. I don't know what quality of peace that brings.

Usually the money guys want more wars and prisons because they make easy profit.
    Well, one of the reasons why he wants to promote peace with Russia — which is not the same thing as actually wanting to establish a global peace, mind you — could be that it was the Russian oligarchs who've helped him into the White House.

Creating an additional Space Corps branch to the US military doesn't exactly strike me as a peaceful thing. Likewise for building an apartheid-style wall at the border with Mexico. Besides, something like that has been done before already, by the Israelis, and it didn't work out well there either.

I could be wrong, but from where I'm sitting, Trump's international policy appears to be mainly the same as that of all his predecessors since Lyndon Baines Johnson, namely that the US government does indeed want to work toward world peace, but only on the condition that the US's corporate fascism gets to rule the entire world.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (22nd July 2018), Dreamtimer (17th July 2018), Elen (19th July 2018), Emil El Zapato (18th July 2018), Wind (17th July 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,481 Times in 7,284 Posts
    You may very well be right, after all he is a narcissistic person and a bigot. However, I do believe that he actually loves the country in his own way, he's not in it just for the money, but also for the prestige. He wants to be remembered and revered. It's just that his policies really suck and he isn't such a great person either, nor a good a politician for that matter. The latter reason is probably why he got elected. Then again, I don't have much respect for most of the politicians at all. Some are the exception though, but the whole damn game is rigged and utterly corrupted. First money needs to be taken out of politics before there will be any big changes in US.

Hell just might freeze over before that happens.
    Last edited by Wind, 17th July 2018 at 22:04.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (22nd July 2018), Aragorn (18th July 2018), Dreamtimer (17th July 2018), Elen (19th July 2018), Emil El Zapato (18th July 2018), Kathy (17th July 2018), modwiz (17th July 2018)

Thanks
    Wind, I know you're hanging on for all you're worth regarding Trump...you are balanced but Trump is not...whatever he has in his heart it is not a positive thing. His soul is highly corrupted. And as has been discussed here about personal power and choice, he made his choice and it was a very bad one.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (22nd July 2018), Aragorn (18th July 2018), Dreamtimer (18th July 2018), Elen (19th July 2018), Wind (18th July 2018)

Thanks
    We can't let this damn U.S. politics thread get away ...

Thought for the day:

For a voting bloc that disbelieves in social realities and whom has a natural law moral sense that reads, 'That applies to you, but not me!', there is only one leader possible and indeed he is perfection itself.

I grant a single guess as to whom that is?

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (22nd July 2018), Aragorn (21st July 2018), Dreamtimer (21st July 2018), Elen (22nd July 2018), Kathy (10th August 2018)