Thanks
    Thanked 37,150 Times in 7,345 Posts

Question

For those inclined ...

NEW FENDER ACOUSTASONIC - It's awesome!
    (but would I buy it?) // EPIC GUITAR LOOP

Mar 16, 2021

17:14 minutes

Presenting an alternative to the alternative community.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th March 2021), Aragorn (18th March 2021), Dreamtimer (18th March 2021), Elen (18th March 2021), modwiz (18th March 2021), Wind (18th March 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by giovonni View Post
    For those inclined ...

Mar 16, 2021

17:14 minutes

Saw a few videos on this new guitar. I like it a lot. Price tag puts it outside of consideration for me.

Would love to play one and see how the neck feels. The variety of sounds it has would work for my styles of playing.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th March 2021), Aragorn (18th March 2021), Dreamtimer (18th March 2021), Elen (18th March 2021), Gio (18th March 2021), Wind (18th March 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    For those inclined ...

Saw a few videos on this new guitar. I like it a lot. Price tag puts it outside of consideration for me.

Would love to play one and see how the neck feels. The variety of sounds it has would work for my styles of playing.

Fender also does make a Telecaster and Stratocaster version of the Acoustasonic, and if I recall correctly, then those are somewhat more affordable, but I don't know whether there's a huge difference in price. The Strat and Tele versions come equipped with a single-coil electromagnetic pickup instead of the Tim Shaw humbucker on the Jazzmaster version, but the acoustic guitar sounds offered by the modeling software in the electronics are comparable.

The video below touches upon the neck feel of the Acoustasonic Jazzmaster. I don't remember exactly ─ it was a few days ago that I've watched this ─ but I believe it's similar in feel to a modern-day Stratocaster, i.e. a medium-sized "C" profile. It either way has the traditional 25.5" scale length of its electromagnetic counterparts, and it comes strung with the typical .011-gauge bronze-over-steel strings.

Also note ─ as mentioned in the video ─ that Taylor offers something very similar to the Acoustasonic, albeit that I have no idea of the retail price of that one either.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th March 2021), Dreamtimer (18th March 2021), Elen (18th March 2021), Gio (18th March 2021), modwiz (18th March 2021), Wind (18th March 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Fender also does make a Telecaster and Stratocaster version of the Acoustasonic, and if I recall correctly, then those are somewhat more affordable, but I don't know whether there's a huge difference in price.[...]

Also note ─ as mentioned in the video ─ that Taylor offers something very similar to the Acoustasonic, albeit that I have no idea of the retail price of that one either.
    Okay, I've looked up on the pricing, and none of this stuff is cheap. The Fenders are the least expensive ones, with the exception of the Cocobolo version of the Acoustasonic Stratocaster. The Taylors are less expensive than the Cocobolo, but more expensive than the regular Fender Acoustasonics. They also have a different body shape, more akin to an oversized Gibson Les Paul. I imagine they'd also have a different feel.

Fender Acoustasonic Telecaster
    Fender Acoustasonic Stratocaster
    Fender Acoustasonic Stratocaster Cocobolo
    Fender Acoustasonic Jazzmaster
    USD $2'379
    USD $2'379
    USD $4'164
    USD $2'498
    Taylor T5 Custom
    Taylor T5z Custom
    USD $3'199
    USD $3'199

Perhaps you can wait and see whether Fender releases the Acoustasonic range under the significantly more affordable Squier brand, but to be honest, I'm not sure they will.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (22nd March 2021), Elen (19th March 2021), Gio (18th March 2021), modwiz (18th March 2021), Wind (18th March 2021)

Thanks

Returning Topic

And speaking of great guitar sounds ...

The Byrds 10 Essential Locations Part 1: Recording Studios,
    Homes. LA & Laurel Canyon.

Hiking4Life

Part 1 (of 2). 10 Essential locations in Byrds History: World Pacific Studios, Columbia Square, The Troubadour, Ciro's, Band Member Homes in Laurel Canyon & LA locations, Hollywood Haunts and Recording Studio insights into the essence of this legendary band. David Crosby, Roger McGuinn, Chris Hillman, Gene Clark & Michael Clarke.
    Mar 18, 2021

9:51 minutes

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmOpndlMyEA

(IE example)

The Byrds - It Won't Be Wrong

2:02 minutes

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (19th March 2021), Dreamtimer (18th March 2021), Elen (19th March 2021), modwiz (19th March 2021), Wind (19th March 2021)

Thanks

Question

Coping w/ a Learning Disability | Where Teaching Falls Short

Rick Beato
    2.21M subscribers

In this video I discuss how I have coped with my learning disability. I have always had tremendous difficulty with reading comprehension. This video is the story on how my Mom, Sports and Music were instrumental in helping me overcome it and go from being a D- student to becoming a college professor.

Mar 18, 2021

11:10 minutes

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2WlMUIeFiM

The moral of the story is ...

How much does Rick Beato make on YouTube

Jan 29, 2021

1:33 minutes

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st March 2021), Dreamtimer (22nd March 2021), Elen (22nd March 2021), modwiz (22nd March 2021), Wind (21st March 2021)

Thanks

Thumbs Up

This one's especially for Modwiz, it being his thread and home borough of the Bronx.

Description:
    Tomas “Tom” Delgado is a former lawyer who became a comedian in New York City and tour guide - He does some not too shabby video tours of New York City neighborhoods.

Tour of NYC's "Real Little Italy" in the Bronx

"Tomas takes you on a tour of Arthur Avenue and Little Italy in the Bronx, which many people call the "Real Little Italy" of New York City. Tom also visits Teitel Brothers, Mario's Restaurant, the Bronx Beer Hall, and Cerini Coffee & Gifts. Special thanks to Giovanna, Anthony and Paul Ramirez, Gil Teitel, and Regina Delfino. Shot by Lucie Pohl."

33:11 minutes

Last edited by Gio, 24th March 2021 at 12:40.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th March 2021), Dreamtimer (24th March 2021), Elen (25th March 2021), modwiz (24th March 2021)

Thanks
    ♪ Its beating down your door ♪

Can't Stop Progress

The Immediate Family

3:47 minutes

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th March 2021), Dreamtimer (27th March 2021), Elen (28th March 2021), modwiz (26th March 2021)

Thanks
    Big Poppa & Rad

♪ Come on down ♪

Sweet Virginia

Tedeschi Trucks Band - with The Wood Brothers

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th March 2021), Elen (30th March 2021), Lord Sidious (30th March 2021), Wind (30th March 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,445 Times in 1,680 Posts
    Big Poppa & Rad

♪ Come on down ♪

I know that wizardnugget from somewhere...................
    Ní siocháin go saoirse

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sidious For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (17th April 2021), Aragorn (30th March 2021), Dreamtimer (30th March 2021), Elen (30th March 2021), Gio (31st March 2021), modwiz (31st March 2021), Wind (30th March 2021)

Thanks

Returning Topic

And speaking of great guitar sounds ...

The Byrds 10 Essential Locations Part 1: Recording Studios,
    Homes. LA & Laurel Canyon.

Hiking4Life

Part 1 (of 2). 10 Essential locations in Byrds History: World Pacific Studios, Columbia Square, The Troubadour, Ciro's, Band Member Homes in Laurel Canyon & LA locations, Hollywood Haunts and Recording Studio insights into the essence of this legendary band. David Crosby, Roger McGuinn, Chris Hillman, Gene Clark & Michael Clarke.
    Mar 18, 2021

9:51 minutes

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmOpndlMyEA

(IE example)

The Byrds - It Won't Be Wrong

2:02 minutes

As promised ...

The Byrds Part #2: 10 Essential Locations: Laurel Canyon,
    David Crosby, McGuinn, Clark, Hillman

Hiking4Life

Part 2 (of 2). 10 Essential Byrds locations: Band Member Homes in Laurel Canyon & Beverly Glen. Beatles/Byrds Party House in Beverly Hills. David Crosby, Roger McGuinn, Chris Hillman, Gene Clark & Michael Clarke.

Mar 26, 2021

9:25 minutes

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlYIe4Ap53o

Performing raw for the girls ...

The Byrds: Live 10/19/1965.
    Turn! Turn! Turn!, Bells Of Rhymney, & Mr. Tambourine Man.

10:57 minutes

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (17th April 2021), Aragorn (31st March 2021), Dreamtimer (31st March 2021), Elen (1st April 2021), modwiz (31st March 2021)

Thanks

Question

# Trending ...

Why Don't Record Labels Believe In Young Artists?

Rick Beato

In this episode I discuss and question why record labels don't have more faith in artists writing their own material and the current rising trend of older artists selling their publishing rights for millions.

Apr 3, 2021

15:23 minutes

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (17th April 2021), Aragorn (6th April 2021), Dreamtimer (7th April 2021), Elen (7th April 2021), modwiz (6th April 2021)

Thanks

Thumbs Up

A song's story - as legend has it ...

Descriptive:

A drive down Pacific Coast Highway listening to a favorite song of mine .

"Ventura Highway" ...

Is a 1972 song by the band America from their album Homecoming, written by Dewey Bunnell.

Background:

Dewey Bunnell, the song's vocalist and writer, has said that the lyric "alligator lizards in the air" in the song is a reference to the shapes of clouds in the sky he saw in 1963 while his family was driving down the coast from Vandenberg Air Force Base near Lompoc, California, where they had a flat tire. While his father changed the tire, his brother and he stood by the side of the road and watched the clouds and saw a road sign for "Ventura".

In the booklet for the boxed set, Highway, he states that the song "reminds me of the time I lived in Omaha as a kid and how we'd walk through cornfields and chew on pieces of grass. There were cold winters, and I had images of going to California. So I think in the song I'm talking to myself, frankly: 'How long you gonna stay here, Joe?' I really believe that 'Ventura Highway' has the most lasting power of all my songs. It's not just the words — the song and the track have a certain fresh, vibrant, optimistic quality that I can still respond to". The song has a "Go West, young man" motif in the structure of a conversation between an old man named Joe and a young and hopeful kid. Joe was modeled after a "grumpy" old man he had met while his dad was stationed in Biloxi, Mississippi at Keesler Air Force Base. He also stated "I remember vividly having this mental picture of the stretch of the coastline traveling with my family when I was younger. Ventura Highway itself, there is no such beast, what I was really trying to depict was the Pacific Coast Highway, Highway 1, which goes up to the town of Ventura."

"That's Gerry and Dan doing a harmony on two guitars on the intro. I remember us sitting in a hotel room, and I was playing the chords, and Gerry got that guitar line, and he and Dan worked out that harmony part. That's really the hook of the song".

The song contains the phrase "purple rain", later the title of a 1984 song, album, and film (and the tour that supported both the album and film), from the artist Prince. Whether any connection actually exists, both Mikel Toombs of The San Diego Union and Bob Kostanczuk of the Post-Tribune have written that Prince got the title directly from "Ventura Highway". Asked to explain the phrase "purple rain" in "Ventura Highway," Gerry Beckley responded: "You got me."

The song won many fans, including the pro wrestler-turned-politician, Jesse Ventura. Bunnell recalled, "We went and played at Governor Jesse Ventura's inaugural out in Minneapolis. He asked us to — his wife is a horse lady, and she'd always loved 'A Horse with No Name', and he had adopted this name Ventura. So when he put together his cast of characters for his big inaugural celebration, he wanted us to come and play two songs, which we did".

Driving the Ventura Highway

3:29 minutes

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (17th April 2021), Aragorn (7th April 2021), Dreamtimer (8th April 2021), Elen (8th April 2021), modwiz (7th April 2021), Wind (7th April 2021)

Thanks
    Via Harvard Gazette

Music everywhere ...

Comprehensive study explains that it is
    universal and that some songs sound ‘right’
    in different social contexts, all over the world

"Henry Wadsworth Longfellow wrote, “Music is the universal language of mankind.” Scientists at Harvard have just published the most comprehensive scientific study to date on music as a cultural product, which supports the American poet’s pronouncement and examines what features of song tend to be shared across societies.

The study was conceived by Samuel Mehr, a fellow of the Harvard Data Science Initiative and research associate in psychology, Manvir Singh, a graduate student in the Department of Human Evolutionary Biology, and Luke Glowacki, formerly a Harvard graduate student and now a professor of anthropology at Pennsylvania State University.

They set out to address big questions: Is music a cultural universal? If that’s a given, which musical qualities overlap across disparate societies? If it isn’t, why does it seem so ubiquitous? But they needed a data set of unprecedented breadth and depth. Over a five-year period, the team hunted down hundreds of recordings in libraries and private collections of scientists half a world away.

“We are so used to being able to find any piece of music that we like on the internet,” said Mehr, who is now a principal investigator at Harvard’s Music Lab. “But there are thousands and thousands of recordings buried in archives. At one point, we were looking for traditional Celtic music and we found a call number in the [Harvard] library system and librarian told us we needed to wait on the other side of the library because there was more room over there. Twenty minutes later this poor librarian comes out with a cart of about 20 cases of reel-to-reel recordings of Celtic music.”

Mehr added those reel tapes to the team’s growing discography, combining it with a corpus of ethnography containing nearly 5,000 descriptions of songs from 60 human societies. Mehr, Singh, and Glowacki call this database The Natural History of Song.

Their questions were so compelling that the project rapidly grew into a major international collaboration with musicians, data scientists, psychologists, linguists, and political scientists. Published in Science this week, it represents the team’s most ambitious study yet about music."

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXhyRbidcmo

Music appears in every society observed.

“As a graduate student, I was working on studies of infant music perception, and I started to see all these studies that made claims about music being universal,” Mehr said. “How is it that every paper on music starts out with this big claim, but there’s never a citation backing that up … Now we can back that up.”

They looked at every society for which there was ethnographic information in a large online database, 315 in all, and found mention of music in all of them. For the discography, they collected 118 songs from a total of 86 cultures, covering 30 geographic regions. And they added the ethnographic material they’d collected.

“I started to see all these studies that made claims about music being universal. How is it that every paper on music starts out with this big claim but there’s never a citation backing that up … Now we can back that up.”

The team and their researchers coded the ethnography and discography that makes up the Natural History of Song into dozens of variables. They logged details about singers and audience members, the time of day and duration of singing, the presence of instruments, and more for thousands of passages about songs in the ethnographic corpus. The discography was analyzed four different ways: machine summaries, listener ratings, expert annotations, expert transcriptions.

They found that, across societies, music is associated with behaviors such as infant care, healing, dance, and love (among many others, like mourning, warfare, processions, and ritual). Examining lullabies, healing songs, dance songs, and love songs in particular, they discovered that songs that share behavioral functions tend to have similar musical features.

“Lullabies and dance songs are ubiquitous, and they are also highly stereotyped,” Singh said. “For me, dance songs and lullabies tend to define the space of what music can be. They do very different things with features that are almost the opposite of each other.”

Source/references

(i.e. example)

I Can't Tell You Why

REO Brothers - / The Eagles

"I Can't Tell You Why" is a song by the American rock band Eagles, which appeared on their 1979 album The Long Run. It was written by band members Timothy B. Schmit, Glenn Frey, and Don Henley. Recorded in March 1978, it was the first song finished for the album and the first Eagles song to feature Schmit on lead vocals."
    Premiered Today

6:06 minutes

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (17th April 2021), Aragorn (10th April 2021), Dreamtimer (14th April 2021), Elen (11th April 2021), modwiz (12th May 2021), Wind (10th April 2021)

Thanks
    [...]

(i.e. example)

I Can't Tell You Why

REO Brothers - / The Eagles

Premiered Today

6:06 minutes

That was an outstanding rendition of one of my favorite Eagles tunes.

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (17th April 2021), Dreamtimer (14th April 2021), Elen (11th April 2021), Gio (11th April 2021), modwiz (10th April 2021), Wind (10th April 2021)