Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Net Neutrality

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts

Net Neutrality

The FCC just voted it down. Doesn't seem good to me. Any opinions, knowledge, facts anyone can share?

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th February 2020), Aragorn (15th December 2017), Dumpster Diver (14th December 2017), Elen (15th December 2017), Kathy (15th December 2017), modwiz (14th December 2017), Ntonyo (15th December 2017), tarka the duck (15th December 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 2,620 Posts
    Another arrow into the chest of the GOP for 2018. Anything that helps the big guys, hurts the little guys.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th February 2020), Aragorn (15th December 2017), Dreamtimer (14th December 2017), Elen (15th December 2017), Kathy (15th December 2017), Ntonyo (15th December 2017), tarka the duck (15th December 2017)

Thanks
    Wasn't the alternative community against or at least suspicious of net neutrality? Or was that just because it came from Obama?

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th February 2020), Aragorn (15th December 2017), Dumpster Diver (14th December 2017), Elen (15th December 2017), GCS1103 (15th December 2017), Kathy (15th December 2017), Ntonyo (15th December 2017), tarka the duck (15th December 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 2,620 Posts

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th February 2020), Aragorn (15th December 2017), Dreamtimer (15th December 2017), Elen (15th December 2017), Kathy (15th December 2017), Ntonyo (15th December 2017), sandy (15th December 2017), tarka the duck (15th December 2017)

Thanks
    States Attorneys from 19 states are suing the FCC. And the tax bill is in trouble.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th February 2020), Aragorn (15th December 2017), Dumpster Diver (15th December 2017), Elen (15th December 2017), Kathy (15th December 2017), Ntonyo (15th December 2017), tarka the duck (15th December 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,927 Times in 20,238 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    The FCC just voted it down. Doesn't seem good to me. Any opinions, knowledge, facts anyone can share?
    I've been watching this lunacy unfold from the sidelines for weeks now through the reports on Slashdot, because Slashdot is pretty much a (very US-centric and very mainstream) geek platform, and this is obviously something they care about very deeply. According to a poll held around the time of the last US presidential elections, the political orientation of Slashdot's main audience and member base would also primarily be US Democrat.

There seems to be some confusion here on the thread about what exactly constitutes this Net Neutrality, so basically it is this: Net Neutrality means that ISPs are not allowed to throttle or cap certain types of traffic in favor of certain other types of traffic, or put yet otherwise, it ensures that whatever service you are using your internet access for will always have an equal amount of bandwidth (and thus speed) available. Net Neutrality was voted in place a while ago — still under the Obama administration — because there had previously not been any regulation yet in that regard, and so the big internet providers and telecom carriers in the USA had indeed already been throttling and capping certain types of traffic as they saw fit.

But so anyway, now that the Black Guy in the White House has been replaced by an Orange Hair Guy who favors unregulated corporatism, these corporations have begun lobbying for a repeal of the Net Neutrality agreement, and apparently they have now won. The FCC's current chairman was himself also opposed to Net Neutrality from the beginning, and he was one of the people lobbying for its repeal. And so from now on, internet service providers may throttle down the bandwidth of certain types of traffic again — for instance peer-to-peer traffic, such as BitTorrent and other file-sharing technologies.

Even though this issue is primarily an Acronymian one, it does of course play into the cards of corporatism in general, because it liberates these corporations from having to be fair and gives them more opportunities to take advantage of their paying customers. Even though I don't see this blowing over to Europe just yet — even if only because Europe's gigantic bureaucracy is more protective of the customer — it may eventually do so nevertheless.

After all, most of those corporations are multinationals, and unregulated corporatism will ultimately always lead to monopolies. Many European internet providers and telecom operators are already partnered with or subsidiaries of Acronymian companies. The main difference between the USA and the EU in that regard is the nature of the corporations who are in control. In the USA, it's the military-industrial complex, the fossil fuel industry, the pharmaceutical industry, the mainstream media, the internet giants and the financial sector, and all of them are more or less of equal weight in the US's economic policy. In the EU, it is almost exclusively the financial sector which controls economic decisions.

Either way, it just goes to show that evil never sleeps.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th February 2020), Dreamtimer (15th December 2017), Dumpster Diver (15th December 2017), Elen (15th December 2017), Kathy (15th December 2017), Ntonyo (15th December 2017), tarka the duck (15th December 2017)

Retired Member Wales
    Thanks
    I always use good old inversion principle. And You know what? It works perfectly. It works like that, whatever statement authorities happen to come up with - You just invert it. For example "We wanna peace to come in a mid-East region" therefore it is not hard to figure out what is really about to happen - more war and death toll. "Net neutrality" will become fundamental part of free speech restricting legislation.

Why is it happening now?

Because for many People it is becoming more and more obvious that something is utter wrong. "Power ones" know about that very well, they also aware about finish line which is just 10 meters away from them behind this line is their long awaited aim - total control! These 10 meters are the most dangerous one because every step they make towards fruition errupts questions within general Public in geometric progression. Now the only way to stop old world order from crumbling before new one yet not ready is to restrict even possibility to talk about things connected to the downside of the global agenda. Internet now has a potential to change the entire world. How can You manage huge masses of People? By creating fear! So these new legislation will be used to counter alternative media efforts to awake People. Like here in Russia You can easily be inprisoned just for only post in the Facebook which can be considered as act of terrorism!

The whole thing about this Net Neutrality is like a signal to Us all - that Net won't be free never ever. So it is crucial time to speak out en masse about current problems especially highlighting the agenda behind all current events.
    Last edited by Ntonyo, 15th December 2017 at 07:12.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ntonyo For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th February 2020), Aragorn (15th December 2017), Dumpster Diver (15th December 2017), Elen (15th December 2017), Kathy (15th December 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Ntonyo View Post
    I always use good old inversion principle. And You know what? It works perfectly. It works like that, whatever statement authorities happen to come up with - You just invert it. For example "We wanna peace to come in a mid-East region" therefore it is not hard to figure out what is really about to happen - more war and death toll. "Net neutrality" will become fundamental part of free speech restricting legislation.

Why is it happening now?

Because for many People it is becoming more and more obvious that something is utter wrong. "Power ones" know about that very well, they also aware about finish line which is just 10 meters away from them behind this line is their long awaited aim - total control! These 10 meters are the most dangerous one because every step they make towards fruition errupts questions within general Public in geometric progression. Now the only way to stop old world order from crumbling before new one yet not ready is to restrict even possibility to talk about things connected to the downside of the global agenda. Internet now has a potential to change the entire world. How can You manage huge masses of People? By creating fear! So these new legislation will be used to counter alternative media efforts to awake People. Like here in Russia You can easily be inprisoned just for only post in the Facebook which can be considered as act of terrorism!

The whole thing about this Net Neutrality is like a signal to Us all - that Net won't be free never ever. So it is crucial time to speak out en masse about current problems especially highlighting the agenda behind all current events.
    Um, it is not clear to me, Ntonyo, whether you fully understand the situation — maybe I'm not reading you correctly.

I hear what you are saying, and I would absolutely agree that the game is about control. But what has happened now is that Net Neutrality has been revoked, and Net Neutrality in and of itself was actually a Good Thing™, but now we are back to a situation where the corporations dictate what is possible and what not.

1. Before Obama, there was no Net Neutrality. Corporations were in control of which traffic got more bandwidth and which traffic got less.
    2. Under Obama, Net Neutrality was instated. All traffic — surfing, file-sharing, email, audio/video streaming, et al — would get equal bandwidth.
    3. Now under Trump, Net Neutrality has been abolished again, so we're back to the corporations calling the shots. This is an undesirable situation.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th February 2020), Dreamtimer (15th December 2017), Dumpster Diver (15th December 2017), Elen (15th December 2017), Kathy (15th December 2017), Ntonyo (15th December 2017), tarka the duck (15th December 2017)

Retired Member Wales
    Thanks
    Words now worth less than dirt under Our feet.
    https://www.congress.gov/115/bills/h...15hr4585ih.pdf

The whole thing is not about bandwidth or any other tech. stuff - it is all about control and ultimately about what People can or can not say. I'll explain, the only one keyword that gives Us a clue what is gonna be controlled harder is, Yes - the Internet. The ultimate aim is the censorship, so whatever words said by autorithies or written in actual legislation - it does not matter. You got it right from beginning, whatever word comes from mouth of any authority figure You can immediately attach bad meaning to it. Like if they ever said about tax, for example tax is gonna be eased remember Trump promises - be 100% sure that tax will be raised (see current Trump tax legislation). If they talk about the Internet whatever a theme, wait for more censorship, especially when everything is being pushed into direction while not only major but also minor alternative media which does not serve the secret agenda will be cut off from general public by any means! That's what I meant - using keyword power crazy just highlighting the direction in which they are going to work. Also notice that mainstream media suddently create an enormous coverage of this act that could be silently signed (passed by) without of so much public attention also ignoring facts Corey Feldman trying to represent.

The whole idea is to convience People that the Internet should be regulated and they are making that by exploiting their beloved step by step method. Now they are talking about an issue, let's be honest, that is not a major one, after that by creating more hype arround the Internet they are gonna push ideas about total control of the Internet which is gonna lead Us to a point when there will be no free speech at all...

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ntonyo For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th February 2020), Aragorn (15th December 2017), Dumpster Diver (15th December 2017), Elen (15th December 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Ntonyo View Post
    Words now worth less than dirt under Our feet.
    https://www.congress.gov/115/bills/h...15hr4585ih.pdf

The whole thing is not about bandwidth or any other tech. stuff - it is all about control and ultimately about what People can or can not say. I'll explain, the only one keyword that gives Us a clue what is gonna be controlled harder is, Yes - the Internet. The ultimate aim is the censorship, so whatever words said by autorithies or written in actual legislation - it does not matter. You got it right from beginning, whatever word comes from mouth of any authority figure You can immediately attach bad meaning to it. Like if they ever said about tax, for example tax is gonna be eased remember Trump promises - be 100% sure that tax will be raised (see current Trump tax legislation). If they talk about the Internet whatever a theme, wait for more censorship, especially when everything is being pushed into direction while not only major but also minor alternative media which does not serve the secret agenda will be cut off from general public by any means! That's what I meant - using keyword power crazy just highlighting the direction in which they are going to work. Also notice that mainstream media suddently create an enormous coverage of this act that could be silently signed (passed by) without of so much public attention also ignoring facts Corey Feldman trying to represent.

The whole idea is to convience People that the Internet should be regulated and they are making that by exploiting their beloved step by step method. Now they are talking about an issue, let's be honest, that is not a major one, after that by creating more hype arround the Internet they are gonna push ideas about total control of the Internet which is gonna lead Us to a point when there will be no free speech at all...
    Okay, I understand where you're coming from now.

However, I'm not so sure whether what you describe will be possible at all, at least in the USA. You're talking about internet censorship, as is already in place in Turkey, China and a number of other nations. And there have certainly been voices calling for internet censorship here in Europe — and especially so in the UK — and in the USA. This is true.

But up to this point, those initiatives have always been shot down by the majority. On account of the USA, one of the main reasons is that freedom of speech is a right expressed in the very US Constitution, and it is one thing to vote a bill into legislation, but it is quite another thing to change the Constitution. Doing so is not that easy.

Europe is not as free as the USA in that regard, because the EU Constitution is still relatively new, and so they would probably already have foreseen the consequences of making it too free when they put it in place. But still, Europe also knows that the introduction of internet censorship in the western world would not go down easily with the population, and that it would lead to an endless legal battle. And now, with the UK having left the EU and the risk of other countries following in their footsteps, the EU cannot afford to push such a politically drastic rule onto its population, and especially not now with the popularity of social networking and the flourishing mobile devices market.

I'm not saying that they wouldn't or couldn't be trying that at some (much) later point in time, but if they were to try that now, then it would be political suicide for the EU as a supranational institution. In fact, I believe that the opposite will remain true for quite a while still, given how the EU is still not allowing Turkey to join — even though it desperately wants to — on the grounds of its persistent violation of human rights and its censorship of the press.

Ultimately, time will tell, of course. Fact is that in spite of all that I've written here-above, the EU keeps on curtailing more civil liberties, one at the time. And Nazi-Belgium is of course always one of the first nations within the EU to cut down on the already dwindling freedoms of its citizens. We never even had all of the same freedoms that other European nations had to begin with. Belgium is politically about as retarded as it gets. A few examples follow below...

• Belgium had compulsory military service for males up until 1995, and a few right-wing politicians have been trying to reinstate that for years already. One did have a choice whether to join the army (including the sub-choices of either regular army, paracommando, personnel stationed in Germany or medical contingent), the air force (as non-flying personnel) or the navy (as sailing or non-sailing personnel). My dad, his brothers, my brother, my male cousins and I myself have all served in the military, and one of my mom's older cousins had even fought in World War II. One of my friends died in an accident in the military during the annual "autumn maneuvers", when NATO forces were having war game exercises for in case the Soviet Union was going to invade Europe. Many lost their lives during these exercises, but this was considered an acceptable loss.

• Up until this very day, Belgium still has compulsory voting — i.e. you are obligated to report to the polling station and vote, in every election — as well as that the polling stations themselves are always manned by people selected from a certain age category among the local population. The manning of a polling station — commonly these are elementary school buildings — is also compulsory. Unless one had an urgent medical reason — verified by a doctor — or one was out of the country on the day of the election, the fines for refusing to go and vote are huge, and those for refusing to show up when you have been summoned to man the polling station are even worse.

• Belgium has the highest tax pressure in Europe, and is one of the most expensive countries in the world to live in. And at the same time, lots of people in Belgium — myself included — have to make do with an income far below the official European poverty barrier. The State Secretary in charge of fighting poverty has even recently declared that she's not even going to try doing anything about that "because there isn't enough money". Pardon me? Not enough money? With the amount of taxes we pay?

• Belgium is a country the size of a handkerchief, but it has seven different governments — one federal, three regional and three language community governments — plus the individual province councils (for ten provinces), plus the individual town/city governments. And then I'm not even talking of the European level yet. And 50% of the salary of politicians in the executive branch is exempt from taxes. What was that again about there not being enough money?

• According to the Belgian Constitution, only the king/queen, their spouse and their children are entitled to an income paid from taxpayer money. Yet every member of the royal family is receiving such an income, by decision of the government. At present time, this includes the current monarch's parents, as well as his brother (and his family) and sister (and her family). The official reason is "so as to prevent them from becoming economically active". Strangely enough, that very same government feels that disabled people should become economically active again, at the possible penalty of losing their disabilities income — which, as I've already said higher up, sits far below the official European poverty barrier.

• The official age for retirement used to be 65, with pre-retirement arrangements as of the age of 51 on. The pre-retirement has in the meantime been withdrawn, and the official age for retirement is now 67 — unless they've already raised it again in the meantime, but I haven't been following up on that. And for that matter, a retirement income sits even farther below that European poverty barrier than a disabilities income, which is why the government has been promoting individual and voluntary retirement savings accounts, somewhat similar to a life insurance.

Anyway, I could go on about this for hours on end, and I'm digressing, because this is taking things way off-topic. That was not my intent, and I apologize for this digression. The above was merely intended to highlight some of the retarded aspects of Belgium's political regime.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th February 2020), Dreamtimer (15th December 2017), Dumpster Diver (15th December 2017), Elen (15th December 2017), Ntonyo (15th December 2017), tarka the duck (15th December 2017), Wind (15th February 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,045 Times in 11,889 Posts
    Hi Aragorn,

Do you notice a change in my internet 'footprint'?

Nap
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th February 2020), Aragorn (15th February 2020), Elen (16th February 2020), Wind (15th February 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    Hi Aragorn,

Do you notice a change in my internet 'footprint'?

Nap
    What exactly do you mean by "your internet footprint"?

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th February 2020), Elen (16th February 2020), Wind (15th February 2020)

Thanks
    how am i suppose to know what i mean ... I make up sh*t all the time... my I.P. address?

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th February 2020), Aragorn (15th February 2020), Elen (16th February 2020), Wind (16th February 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    how am i suppose to know what i mean ... I make up sh*t all the time... my I.P. address?
    Well, given that you're inquiring about that, I've just checked, and you've had 28 distinct IP addresses since you signed up here. Does that make you happy?

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th February 2020), Elen (16th February 2020), Wind (16th February 2020)

Thanks
    hmm, well, it is suppose to be 'Dynamic' but i was wondering if the 'source' seemed different...like something major...VPN's are supposed to be 'protective' somehow?

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th February 2020), Aragorn (15th February 2020), Elen (16th February 2020), Wind (16th February 2020)