Page 7 of 96 FirstFirst ... 456789101757 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus with an R0 of 3 or beyond

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,908 Times in 1,858 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Trump is trying to appease the shareholders. The panic is bad for big businesses and for the stock markets.

The danger comes from both sides of the equation. Trump is in denial about it because he's a narcissist who serves the oligarchs, and the panic is bad for the oligarchs. On the other hand, the panic has been blown out of proportions by the talking heads on Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.

I've just read an article from our state-sponsored news media that addressed all the scaremongering. Photos are showing up of mass graves, et al, but it turns out those photos are stills from the 2011 movie Contagion. Photos of people storming the supermarkets in China to look for food are also being spread, but those photos were actually from a Black-Friday-like event in China from a few years ago.

As the matter of fact, both the number of new infections and the number of deaths in Wuhan are dropping. There are of course still worrisome infections in several other countries, and a risk that they would spread. But it is simmering down, even though the economists and the Wall Street brokers are still in full-on knee-jerk paranoia mode ─ believe it or not, even with the stock markets going negative, there are still people making a profit off of all of it. And that is the game that's being played.

And no, regardless of what's being said in the alternative media, it is not a bio-weapon, and it's most definitely not related to 5G. It would certainly behoove a lot of people to spend a little more time (and attention) in school.
    I would not trust the numbers coming out of China, however, it is possible that infections have dropped somewhat, due to extreme quarantine measures.

It remains to be seen what happens once the Quarantine is partially or wholly lifted, the disease may very well stage a vicious comeback as people return to work and to public spaces. Remember, right now, in the most heavily affected areas, people are in total lockdown and cannot leave their homes, public spaces are constantly disinfected and there is zero economic activity, apart from getting the basics to people and burning coronavirus-infected corpses.

I know you don't believe in the bioweapons theory. That's fine by me, it is irrelevant now anyway, because the virus is here and whether those deadly HIV spike proteins got there through random mutation or genetic engineering is beside the point. What is not in doubt though is the unusual infectiousness of this virus and its resilience on exposed surfaces. I really think it is unprecedented and only the black death comes close to the likely global impact.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th February 2020), Dreamtimer (28th February 2020), Elen (29th February 2020), Emil El Zapato (29th February 2020), Wind (28th February 2020)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,204 Times in 1,932 Posts
    I have raised some good questions on the Chris Thomas thread. I don't bash anyone either. There are forces here at work way beyond some "front man."

The "test" is being executed. International companies are suspending travel. K-12 are incubators and are first lines of defense. Factories/suppliers in China are offline to a degree. The markets are signaling deflation.

It is the flu. I don't want to get the flu. That's just me. Nonetheless, the test of preparedness, willingness and systems is going ahead with or without the trumpet, Mary Poppins, the Boogeyman, etc.

If anyone has good data or questions to share I suggest doing so. Global problems require global solutions and the Hegelian Dialectic is in full swing. Unprecedented cooperation is happening as the world has never witnessed. They got us on this one. Ride it out. Be safe. Cooperate. It's just a preview of what's to come.

Please be safe everyone. I have many affairs to attend to and one of them is family. Drill or not, people will make a run for food IMO. Solution? Go to the store and buy a few things including some good beer. Cooperate. Share information in a professional manner.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Orbs For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th February 2020), Chris (28th February 2020), Elen (29th February 2020), Emil El Zapato (29th February 2020)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Orbs View Post
    I have raised some good questions on the Chris Thomas thread. I don't bash anyone either. There are forces here at work way beyond some "front man."

The "test" is being executed. International companies are suspending travel. K-12 are incubators and are first lines of defense. Factories/suppliers in China are offline to a degree. The markets are signaling deflation.

It is the flu. I don't want to get the flu. That's just me. Nonetheless, the test of preparedness, willingness and systems is going ahead with or without the trumpet, Mary Poppins, the Boogeyman, etc.

If anyone has good data or questions to share I suggest doing so. Global problems require global solutions and the Hegelian Dialectic is in full swing. Unprecedented cooperation is happening as the world has never witnessed. They got us on this one. Ride it out. Be safe. Cooperate. It's just a preview of what's to come.

Please be safe everyone. I have many affairs to attend to and one of them is family. Drill or not, people will make a run for food IMO. Solution? Go to the store and buy a few things including some good beer. Cooperate. Share information in a professional manner.
    It isn't the flu, Orbs. That claim (Don't worry, it's just the flu!) has been comprehensively debunked. They have actually done the genetic sequencing on it and this is 80 percent identical to SARS, hence the official name of the virus is Sars-CoV-2. The differences are rather interesting genetically and there is a lively debate going on about how they came about. The spike proteins alone make it far more likely to attach itself to ACE-2 inhibitors, hence the crazy high R0 value (now 14 in South Korea).

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th February 2020), Elen (29th February 2020), Emil El Zapato (29th February 2020), Orbs (28th February 2020)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the data Chris. WE all have the opportunity to share things so we can ALL make better decisions.

We are all missing data. IT seems there are gaps just about everywhere. Aragorn is discovering photos from movies being used? I'm glad you shared that. I posted propaganda pictures/videos were being used but I didn't know the source.

My observation is the trumpet doesn't seem to be playing with a full deck of cards. I'm referring to he acts like he doesn't have all the information someone like Bush Beans had. It's almost like the trumpet is being left in the dark.

Having said that, I am convinced it is a drill. I'm not sure it started that way but they are not going to let a good crisis go to waste.

I was just at the store Chris and the dude running the register was saying "It's not the flu!" So there is theory out there it as you stated and others as well. They don't discuss recovery rates.

I found a good website by John Hopkins. Here is the link: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

I think many of you will find it useful. It DOES cover recoveries. I offer a contribution, nothing more. I am going to loose money on this whole thing and I feel we will see "tests" of our willingness. So far, people are not panicked around me and in fact I see Facebook posts of fearless Americans going on Cruises in a few weeks.

Choice.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Orbs For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th February 2020), Chris (28th February 2020), Elen (29th February 2020), Emil El Zapato (29th February 2020)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Jeez, they couldn't pay me enough to get me on a cruise right now. I wouldn't do it for a million dollars.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th February 2020), Elen (29th February 2020), Emil El Zapato (29th February 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Chris View Post
    Jeez, they couldn't pay me enough to get me on a cruise right now. I wouldn't do it for a million dollars.
    I wouldn't exactly advise that either.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Chris (28th February 2020), Elen (29th February 2020), Emil El Zapato (29th February 2020)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    You guys, it was just yesterday I saw it. Someone posted about going on vacation who else was and many people posted. One person posted they booked a cruise and bought insurance. I don't know what that means other than if you cancel you get all the money back you paid?

It's a reflection of the psychology. You don't see apathy like that at bottoms. No, Facebook posts in a locality don't run the markets but it is insight into psychology. A piece of the puzzle.

Nobody I know of is afraid. One or two of us are convinced we will be inconvenienced but I don't see anyone wearing a mask yet. I talked to a school teacher and there still is no plan that has been announced to the teachers. Grade school teachers.

No discussion. That is not the kind of behavior we see at bottoms. Apathy it what you see at a top.

I expect the markets to bottom before any good news comes out. In fact, the VERY UGLIEST NEWS may cause the bottom and selling becomes indiscriminate. We are not there yet. All rally's are being sold.

Restricted travel, boycotts, closings are so far pretty much voluntary. Sure, you can't fly to China etc. but getting in a cigar tube full of coughing people is not something I need to do or care to do. See? We are all self quarantining ourselves to some degree.

Business will slow. Maybe 30 days from now GLOBAL WARMING, opps, I mean climate change, will warm us up again. DAMN! Where is global warming when you need it!!!

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Orbs For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (29th February 2020), Chris (28th February 2020), Elen (29th February 2020), Emil El Zapato (29th February 2020)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Masks are useless anyway. Only N95 masks provide protection and then only for 4 hours. You would also need goggles, gloves, and disposable clothes that you throw away each time you go out and come back home. For most people, that is simply not feasible. For such an infectious agent, you need BSL-3 protection, which simply isn't going to happen.

The evacuation flight from the Diamond Princess cruise ship, which landed in California, had infected people isolated in the back of the plane, separated by a plastic sheet and duct tape. It was woefully inadequate and 13 people got infected on the way back.

Personally, I plan to rely on my bioweapons-grade immune system to eliminate those little buggers. There is simply no practical way of avoiding infection in the long run, everybody will get it eventually.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (29th February 2020), Elen (29th February 2020), Emil El Zapato (29th February 2020), Wind (28th February 2020)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    The WHO upgraded its global assessment to high risk. They say its not spreading freely through communities.

The Hegelian Dialectic on a grand and global scale where once again the threat is not only invisible but nano. One of the new buzz words. Nano. Quarantine. Self quarantine. Pandemic.

You are smart if you can use them all in one sentence...

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Orbs For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (29th February 2020), Chris (28th February 2020), Elen (29th February 2020)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    If you live long... it will cross the speices barrier... I thought mutation headlines were coming. I was wrong! OMG.

12:12 am: A dog in Hong Kong tests positive for the coronavirus, WHO confirms

A dog in Hong Kong has tested positive for the coronavirus that’s killed at least 2,859 humans across the world over the last two months, World Health Organization officials said Friday. Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, the technical lead of WHO’s emergencies program, said that the canine tested “weakly positive,” meaning low levels of the virus were found in test results. Hong Kong scientists aren’t sure if the dog is actually infected or if it picked up the virus from a contaminated surface, she said, adding that it is working with local authorities and scientists who tested the animal. —Higgins-Dunn

Folks, I am not going to support this headline. If a dog can get it, a pig can get it, a cow can get it. I'm almost besides myself they would report this. It's now going to be in our food?
    Last edited by Orbs, 28th February 2020 at 16:28.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Orbs For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (29th February 2020), Chris (28th February 2020), Elen (29th February 2020), Emil El Zapato (29th February 2020)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    A cute, cuddly, sweet lovable dog has it. For some reason that seems to irk me. Does anyone else think that is terrorism? I had the talk with someone close to me about cows and how it wouldn't surprise me if something came up with beef. This announcement by the WHO is claiming it has crossed the species barrier.

I just don't get it. This whole thing with drills is terrorism. It's wrong. It's so very wrong.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Orbs For This Useful Post:

Retired Member
    Thanks
    THEY ARE BUYING MASKS FOR DOGS. I shit you not.

On a more serious note my buddy says kids are not getting sick? It's mainly older people?

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Orbs For This Useful Post:

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    THEY ARE BUYING MASKS FOR DOGS. I shit you not.

On a more serious note my buddy says kids are not getting sick? It's mainly older people?
    There have been some sick kids, but they are far less likely to get it and the symptoms are far less severe. It has mostly been older people that succumbed to it, but also some people in their thirties, such as the famous Wuhan doctor, who first blew the whistle on the disease.

The dog thing is way overblown, animals may carry the disease, but there is no evidence yet, that they would themselves get sick. However, in Wuhan, there were worrying reports of pets being targeted for destruction as they can carry the disease. Supposedly, the 40 mobile crematoria that have been deployed are there to get rid of all the infected animal corpses. Those animals were probably killed and did not succumb to the disease, but it is hard to say, since the communist government is so secretive.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (29th February 2020), Elen (29th February 2020), Emil El Zapato (29th February 2020), Orbs (28th February 2020)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Killing dogs? That's part of their food. That's not an insult. My understanding is dog is part of their diet?

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Orbs For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (29th February 2020), Elen (29th February 2020), Emil El Zapato (29th February 2020)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Killing dogs? That's part of their food. That's not an insult. My understanding is dog is part of their diet?
    Not so much these days. As the Chinese have become more affluent, they started to look at dogs as pets and no longer as a source of food. They actually want to outlaw dog meat now.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (29th February 2020), Elen (29th February 2020), Emil El Zapato (29th February 2020)