Page 34 of 76 FirstFirst ... 243132333435363744 ... LastLast

Thread: Collapse

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    Welcome to our humble little Shire.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th June 2020), Aragorn (8th June 2020), Dreamtimer (8th June 2020), Elen (8th June 2020), Emil El Zapato (7th June 2020)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Chris View Post
    I'm not angry, just passionate about trying to educate people about the crimes of Communism, which many people on the Left conveniently forget.

It's not your fault that you rarely hear about it, the entire episode and the 100million + dead have conveniently been consigned to the memory hole. Almost every week, there's another Holocaust movie, documentary or TV episode that comes out, but when was the last time you heard about the Holodomor, Gulags or Mao's death camps, which btw, still exist today, unlike Nazi concentration camps, which closed almost a century ago?

Or, staying closer to home, my grandfather was at Katyn, one of the greatest massacres in WW2, which was instigated by the communists against the Polish army, after they overran Eastern Poland in an alliance with Hitler. How many people even know about it? There was exactly one movie that was made about it, and it is in Polish. I'm pretty sure nobody in the English-speaking world saw it or knows about it.
    Hey Chris,
    Yes, I know about Katyn! And don't worry, nobody could or should minimize the terrors of fascism or communism.

Scholar and Solider- as an officer in the Polish Army, He was captured by the Soviets in September 1939. In April 1940 he was brought to the vicinity of the Katyn Forest where the execution of Polish officers was taking place.

Before the war Stanislaw was researching the economies of totalitarian countries and his expert knowledge of German economy caught the interest of his Soviet captors. He was recalled from the Katyn Forest to Moscow where he was interrogated and sentenced to forced labour in the GULAG. His survival of death from starvation and exhaustion and subsequent escape from the claws of the NKVD makes for fascinating reading. After having regained his freedom in August 1942, he joined the Polish army under British command in the Middle East. After the war he returned to his scholarly work and taught at the universities in Enland, Indonesia, Canada and the USA
    [/I]

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...hadow_of_Katyn

I bought the book, In the Shadow of Katyn, from his son, Witold, an acquaintance of mine. I lived in an area that was heavily populated with older Germans, Poles, Dutch Indonesians etc...Anyway I learned a lot from his Dad's book and it helped shape my world view. It also made me realize that if China and the U.S. ever get into it, war wise, it puts Canadians in a horrible position. Already we are, like Poland, torn between having to obey Trump (Hitler proxy) and what is in our best economic interest, which would be to trade with both nations in a peaceful manner. Poles were persecuted by the Russians and the Nazis. The entire officer corp was wiped out in the Katyn forest with maybe one or two exceptions. Stanislaw Sweinewicz, being one.

Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    Welcome to our humble little Shire.

Thank you, Wind. I have been a member, though absent for a time!
    Last edited by Octopus Garden, 8th June 2020 at 01:45. Reason: Wrong last name of author.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th June 2020), Aragorn (8th June 2020), Chris (8th June 2020), Dreamtimer (8th June 2020), Elen (8th June 2020), Emil El Zapato (8th June 2020), Wind (7th June 2020)

Senior Member Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    just cool is all I got to say...
    Thanks Pretender,

I went back there because it was too quiet over here for a spell. I am really finding it impossible to stomach. A question for those on this forum, have you lost any real world friends due to this shit? I think what bugs me the most is the fact that they acknowledge and exaggerate all kinds of elite depravities involving pedophilia while turning a blind eye to the depravity of unnecessary war, that tends to scatter body parts of adults and children everywhere.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Octopus Garden For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th June 2020), Aragorn (8th June 2020), Chris (8th June 2020), Dreamtimer (8th June 2020), Elen (8th June 2020), Emil El Zapato (8th June 2020), modwiz (8th June 2020), Wind (7th June 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Octopus Garden View Post
    Thanks Pretender,

I went back there because it was too quiet over here for a spell. I am really finding it impossible to stomach. A question for those on this forum, have you lost any real world friends due to this shit? I think what bugs me the most is the fact that they acknowledge and exaggerate all kinds of elite depravities involving pedophilia while turning a blind eye to the depravity of unnecessary war, that tends to scatter body parts of adults and children everywhere.
    It's the Dunning-Kruger effect; they see the splinter in someone else's eye while completely missing the beam in their own.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th June 2020), Chris (8th June 2020), Dreamtimer (8th June 2020), Elen (8th June 2020), Emil El Zapato (8th June 2020), modwiz (8th June 2020), Octopus Garden (8th June 2020), Wind (8th June 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    . A question for those on this forum, have you lost any real world friends due to this shit?
    No real world friends or family lost because of the actual pathogen. Took some skill to not lose friends over the mind virus part of it. The more potent aspect, IMO.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th June 2020), Aragorn (8th June 2020), Chris (8th June 2020), Dreamtimer (8th June 2020), Elen (8th June 2020), Wind (8th June 2020)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,908 Times in 1,858 Posts
    Hey Chris,
    Yes, I know about Katyn! And don't worry, nobody could or should minimize the terrors of fascism or communism.

Scholar and Solider- as an officer in the Polish Army, He was captured by the Soviets in September 1939. In April 1940 he was brought to the vicinity of the Katyn Forest where the execution of Polish officers was taking place.

Before the war Stanislaw was researching the economies of totalitarian countries and his expert knowledge of German economy caught the interest of his Soviet captors. He was recalled from the Katyn Forest to Moscow where he was interrogated and sentenced to forced labour in the GULAG. His survival of death from starvation and exhaustion and subsequent escape from the claws of the NKVD makes for fascinating reading. After having regained his freedom in August 1942, he joined the Polish army under British command in the Middle East. After the war he returned to his scholarly work and taught at the universities in Enland, Indonesia, Canada and the USA
    [/I]

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...hadow_of_Katyn

I bought the book, In the Shadow of Katyn, from his son, Witold, an acquaintance of mine. I lived in an area that was heavily populated with older Germans, Poles, Dutch Indonesians etc...Anyway I learned a lot from his Dad's book and it helped shape my world view. It also made me realize that if China and the U.S. ever get into it, war wise, it puts Canadians in a horrible position. Already we are, like Poland, torn between having to obey Trump (Hitler proxy) and what is in our best economic interest, which would be to trade with both nations in a peaceful manner. Poles were persecuted by the Russians and the Nazis. The entire officer corp was wiped out in the Katyn forest with maybe one or two exceptions. Stanislaw Sweinewicz, being one.
    Thanks, that's really interesting.

My Granddad was one of the few officers, who survived the Katyn massacre. He changed from his officer uniform to a private's, as did most officers, but the communists devised a clever trick to determine who was really a private and who wasn't. They looked at the hands of soldiers and those with rough hands, presumed to be privates, were let go, whereas those with fine aristocratic hands were presumed to be officers, rounded up and executed. My Granddad was a farmer, so he had a lucky escape.

They blamed this massacre on the Nazis until the early nineties btw and always denied responsibility.

Then when a fervently anti-Russian conservative government flew in to commemorate the massacre in Putin-allied Belarus (which was previously mostly part of Poland), their plane conveniently fell out of the sky (with echoes of later plane crashes in Russian-controlled territory, which still haven't been satisfactorily resolved), wiping out the entire Polish government and the leadership of the Law and Justice party. There were credible videos being circulated in its aftermath, showing the wreckage as first responders (presumed to be Russian military) arrived at the scene, with several gunshots being fired.

Everybody in Poland believes that it was Putin's goons finishing the job, making sure there were no survivors and thus witnesses. I love the Russian people, but the Russian government has always been a bully and always will be, that is just the sad reality.

OMG, I feel like I have come home. Have been trying like Hell to make some inroads into the alt right propaganda propagating on PA! Just took a cursory look at this last page of the thread and realize just how deeply you now differ from that forum. I am NOT going back. It's overrun. Some wonderful people there, some who are even level headed but not enough!
    It really is fascism-lite at this point.

And they are the ones that claim to be fighting fascism. How ironic!

Though I must say, that also applies to Antifa goons, they are a truly orwellian outfit, representing exactly those tactics that they claim to be fighting against.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th June 2020), Aragorn (8th June 2020), Dreamtimer (8th June 2020), Elen (8th June 2020), Emil El Zapato (8th June 2020), Octopus Garden (8th June 2020), Wind (8th June 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Chris View Post
    Then when a fervently anti-Russian conservative government flew in to commemorate the massacre in Putin-allied Belarus (which was previously mostly part of Poland), their plane conveniently fell out of the sky [...]
    It is a well known fact that Vladimir Putin has a way of making dissenters disappear without a trace. He has after all been the head of the FSB for many years.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th June 2020), Chris (8th June 2020), Elen (8th June 2020), Emil El Zapato (8th June 2020), Octopus Garden (8th June 2020), Wind (8th June 2020)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    It is a well known fact that Vladimir Putin has a way of making dissenters disappear without a trace. He has after all been the head of the FSB for many years.
    Yes, it is so obvious, but people on the far right still idolise him like some sort of Messiah.

G.W. Bush was the first one to be taken in by his fake Christian, Defender of the Faith and of Christians worldwide persona. He deliberately wore an Orthodox cross and made up some Bullshit story about how important his Christian faith was to him (an obvious requirement for any KGB commander… It beggars belief that people bought this utter bull). Bushie and the entire alt-right has been smitten with him ever since.

It is all a cynical ploy of course to keep their hold on power, Netanyahu, Orbán, Erdogan, Bolsonaro, Modi and Trump are all trying the same spiel with their respective religions, with varying degrees of success.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th June 2020), Aragorn (8th June 2020), Dreamtimer (8th June 2020), Elen (8th June 2020), Emil El Zapato (8th June 2020), Octopus Garden (8th June 2020), Wind (8th June 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    It's the Dunning-Kruger effect; they see the splinter in someone else's eye while completely missing the beam in their own.
    A Mote in God's Eye...right?
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th June 2020), Chris (8th June 2020), Dreamtimer (8th June 2020), Elen (8th June 2020), Octopus Garden (8th June 2020), Wind (8th June 2020)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I read that book, NAP.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th June 2020), Elen (8th June 2020), Emil El Zapato (8th June 2020), Octopus Garden (8th June 2020), Wind (8th June 2020)

Thanks
    Good information all around...

It was a very good book...I'm forgetting who wrote right now...but it was one of the biggies I think

I thought so, Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven...I went to a ceremony for Jack Williamson, Professor emeritus of my University where Pournelle was the distinguished guest speaker. I left that presentation thinking that Pournelle was a very disturbed individual...I think I've posted that story before.
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 8th June 2020 at 11:51.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th June 2020), Chris (8th June 2020), Dreamtimer (8th June 2020), Octopus Garden (8th June 2020), Wind (8th June 2020)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Niven and Pournell? Now that was a world which had cyclical collapses. And specialization almost beyond belief.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th June 2020), Chris (8th June 2020), Elen (8th June 2020), Emil El Zapato (8th June 2020), Octopus Garden (8th June 2020), Wind (8th June 2020)

Thanks
    Niven was the real talent between the two. Pournelle was just riding coattails.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th June 2020), Chris (8th June 2020), Dreamtimer (8th June 2020), Elen (8th June 2020), Octopus Garden (8th June 2020), Wind (8th June 2020)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    https://kunstler.com/clusterfuck-nat...-george-floyd/

Requiem for George Floyd

The occasion of the state funeral for the late George Floyd — rivaling the solemn progress of Abraham Lincoln’s casket across this land at lilac time so long ago — may be a good time for Americans to take stock of what condition our condition is in. Going on a fortnight of protests, riots, and looting, what exactly does black America seek in its cry for an end to systemic racism? Forgive me for saying the petition is vague. I’ll have to tread into realms of discourse that are taboo these days, so gird your loins if you care to follow.

Is there a campaign of police genocide against black people? The facts and numbers say emphatically no. (They’re discussed in detail in many articles by Heather MacDonald at City Journal.) Is it true that “black people aren’t heard?” If you follow The New York Times, America’s “newspaper of record,” that’s all you will hear. Has justice been denied in the killing of Mr. Floyd? Four cops have been swiftly arraigned on grave charges. Are black people denied the privilege of governing their own affairs? Many cities are run by black mayors, police chiefs, and district attorneys where, year by year, social dysfunction has only gotten worse.

Is a substantial portion of the black population not thriving in comparison to whites and other racial or ethic groups? Apparently so. The only truly systemic dynamic in their plight is the campaign by government, ongoing for more than fifty years, to uplift them with social programs, cash assistance, and affirmative action, plus monuments, prizes, and holidays, and very vocal public encouragement from “allies” in media, entertainment and sports. All this “help” only seems to make the problems worse.

It’s beyond obvious after a half a century and trillions of dollars spent that well-intentioned government support destroyed black family formation. Seventy-five percent of black children are raised these days in households without fathers because cash assistance is forbidden where there is “a man in the house.” Everybody knows the problem is generational and severe. Paying unmarried women (often just girls) to have babies can easily be seen as leading to many social disadvantages. Who is militating to change that — say, to allow cash assistance to married couples? Nobody, most particularly black America. Why? Because it’s an established racket, a hustle, a pattern of living, complete with customs and rituals, such as giving over young black men to prison as an initiation to manhood. Why are they sent to prison? Because they commit crimes.

The bamboozlement over this was especially vivid last week in the contrast between the sanctimony of the daytime protest marches and the nighttime looting, vandalism, and arson, of which there are hundreds of videos on the web, showing young black Americans acting like savages. The police all over America didn’t dare try to stop it lest they produce a new martyr to aggravate the insurrection. No plea arose from leaders in black communities across the land to stop the disgraceful behavior. It was not even recognized as disgraceful, rather regarded as a necessary ceremony for purging the bad feelings over George Floyd’s gruesome death at the knee of officer Derek Chauvin.

Why not try succeeding at school rather than prison? School has different requirements. I will venture an idea which is not just taboo, but taboo to an extreme: many black children cannot succeed in school because they do not speak English correctly at home and the schools have, as a definite policy, done nothing to correct that because it would be labeled as “racist.” If your language dispenses with grammatical form — such as the difference between the expression of past, present, and future — you’re liable to suffer cognitive disadvantages which result in doing poorly at school. You may even be incapable of showing up on time for anything.

The number one job in elementary school should be teaching children first to speak English, because without it, they’ll struggle to learn anything else. But we’re not interested. It might hurt someone’s feelings to learn that his or her speech is deficient. It might anger a parent to hear that. So, we choose to let the children fail. It’s a choice we make by consensus. Here’s some news for you: multiculturalism is itself a form of racism that ghettoizes language. Do you want that to continue? Are you really interested in change? Change that. Start there.

This points to a deeper and more fundamental question: Does black America really want to fully participate in our national life, or do they want to remain an oppositional faction within it, dependent, resentful, and violent? The George Floyd fiasco has distracted the country from the most severe economic crisis of the century, so far. Do you understand how much thought and effort it will take to reorganize America’s economic life? We are not going back to the way things were before the year 2020. A lot of familiar arrangements will not continue. Comforts and conveniences are phasing out. We don’t have time for histrionics. Can we please just respectfully bury this troubled man and get on with the tasks at hand?

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th June 2020), Elen (8th June 2020)

Thanks
    lol...the problem is deeper than black lives, as I have always said, it is authoritarianism...that is easy to levy against animals... Wouldn't you agree, Chris?

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th June 2020), Chris (8th June 2020), Elen (8th June 2020)