Page 368 of 402 FirstFirst ... 268318358365366367368369370371378 ... LastLast
Results 5,506 to 5,520 of 6018

Thread: Rhosgobel Tent At TOT

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Dane Calloway put this video up on Aug. 6, 2021. It is 17:30 minutes and has 5.4k likes and 154 dislikes.

Methinks Dane is making his point very well.

And, of course, this fits right in with his major thesis. His people were already here when the 'white man' arrived. Another beautiful thing about Dane is, he is not racist. He weaves his tapestry with care and love.

"To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (26th September 2021), Aragorn (26th September 2021), Dreamtimer (13th November 2021), lilac (5th January 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,975 Times in 20,256 Posts
    The following post was moved from the Lounge thread to the Tent, because I don't want to derail the former, and the latter was intended by modwiz as an arena for intelligent discussions about all sorts of topics.

Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    I'm not a death penalty gal, but for those who abuse children, I'd be fine with it. They need to be put out of their misery.

I say that because I believe it when I hear stories of people wanting to be caught and stopped because they cannot stop themselves.
    When it comes to the debate over whether the killing of another human being can ever be justified, there's a lot more than just the death penalty to talk about. I myself am vehemently opposed to the death penalty, because it is nothing short of coldblooded murder. You've got a detainee who was found guilty ─ even though time has proven some of them to have been innocent, whether still during their lifetime or after they had already long been executed ─ and who is unarmed, and you are going to put that individual to death without that they can defend themselves. Whatever crime they may have committed ─ with clear, unmistakable evidence that they and only they were guilty ─ if you decide to put them to death under those circumstances, then you are no better than them, in my opinion.

Now that all said, I am not necessarily opposed to killing ─ if and only if there is no other way to stop the perpetrator from committing more evil of the kind they have been committing. The following question has actually been the subject of a movie once ─ "The Dead Zone", with Christopher Walken ─ but if you knew for an unmistakable fact that someone like Adolf Hitler would make his entrance into society and do exactly what Hitler did back in Nazi Germany, and you had a chance of stopping him, would you or wouldn't you?

Imagine the scenario. Let's make it even more "realistic" ─ or at least, from your personal perspective. Somehow, through some cosmic magic, you suddenly find yourself in Germany, back in the 1930s. Now, discarding the fact that one cannot go back in time in order to change the timeline, let's imagine that you're not even a time traveler. No, you are a German citizen, but through some unspecified but absolutely reliable means, you know what Hitler's going to do. You know that six million Jews will die because of him, and that the world will know a global war that will last for five years, and that will end with the United States of America dropping two nuclear bombs on Japan, killing hundreds of thousands of people, and that this event in turn will lead to a Cold War and an arms race between the United States of America on the one hand, and the Soviet Union and the People's Republic of China on the other hand. You know this.

At about 200 meters away from you, Adolf Hitler is about to give a speech to the crowd. You have a very accurate sniper rifle and ammunition at your disposal, and an empty building. Nobody has seen you, and nobody knows you are even there, so you have a clear getaway path. There's a parked car waiting for you around the back of the building, and you can easily get to it and drive off, because you have the keys. So, would you take that aim and pull that trigger? I know I would, even though part of me would have moral objections over terminating a human being's life, even though said human being is with all certainty in the world a certifiable monster.

Do you see the difference? You'd be committing an assassination, which according to the law is premeditated murder ─ except when it is done by a nation state intelligence operative, in which case it is called "an extrajudicial killing", which is just a clean way of saying that they consider themselves above the laws that they expect all other citizens to abide by.

An assassination is just as premeditated as putting a convict to death. Yet, at the same time it is a very different situation, because in this case, the person about to face his death is not an unarmed and defenseless convict who already no longer poses a threat to society. No, in this case, the individual in question does pose a clear and present danger to society, and if you don't stop him, then millions of innocent people are going to die, and many more are going to be maimed and tortured.

I would absolutely hate that I'd have to fire my rifle at another human being, and for that matter, aiming with the intent to kill. I would. But I would take that aim, and I would take the shot, making sure that it'd be a merciful kill. I wouldn't want him to suffer, but from my perspective as a German dissident in the 1930s with full foreknowledge of what is to come, I'd have no other option but to attempt to eliminate that threat to humanity to the best of my abilities. And I'm an excellent marksman, by the way ─ I was the best shooter in my platoon when I was putting in my conscripted military service.

But wait, I'm not done yet. What about killing in anger? A dangerous topic, for sure. Because when you are in anger, then your judgment is clouded. But imagine a mother being confronted with her child being sexually assaulted by an adult male. Even if she manages to pull her child away from the monster, she will still be perceiving the monster as a threat. She won't immediately be thinking of the future and the consequences of letting this character escape, because her emotions and her state of shock are putting her firmly in the present. But she'll immediately feel great anger toward the monster. And she happens to be carrying a knife with her, or a loaded gun. So she lashes out and cuts the guy's throat, or she reaches into her pocket, or for the holster on her belt, and she shoots the monster in the head.

She killed a man. She'll be detained. There will be a trial. What will the jury say? And what will the judge say? The jury is not to deliberate on whether or not the guy was raping the child, because that's not the issue. The jury will be deliberating on whether or not the woman was guilty of willfully killing the rapist. That's all they will be deliberating on. And in this case, they will most likely find her guilty. But then it is up to the judge to decide whether this woman should go to prison or not for having killed the monster who had just been raping her child. If I were the judge, I'd let the woman go free.

But here's why the subject of killing in anger is a dangerous topic. Imagine a guy coming home to the woman he loves and finding her in bed with another guy ─ one of his colleagues, even. The betrayed man has a gun on him ─ whether for self-protection or perhaps as part of his profession; maybe he's a security guard on a money transport, or maybe he's a cop. Would it be justified for him to grab for his gun and shoot his unfaithful wife and her lover? He'd certainly feel angry enough to do so. And maybe the woman in question is actually a bitch, and his life with her was already quite difficult as it was. But adultery is no excuse for murder, and other than that the woman's a bitch, she doesn't pose any threat to anybody's life.

Things like that have already happened over here, which is why police officers may now no longer take their service weapon home with them anymore. They are now obligated to put their weapon in a safe at the police station when their shift ends. Of course, they may have a civilian firearms license, but the regulations for the private possession of firearms are very strict over here, and a license for a firearm does not equal a license to carry the firearm. If you own a firearm, then you still need to keep it locked away in a safe, clean, and with the ammunition stored separately from the weapon. Even if you're driving over to the shooting club, then your firearm must be unloaded and stored in the glove compartment of your car, and the ammunition in the luggage compartment of the vehicle ─ or vice versa if the firearm is too big to fit in the glove compartment, e.g. if it is a rifle.

Still, tragedies like this do happen, even over here in authoritarian-bureaucratic Belgium. And I imagine that they will occur with much greater prevalence in the gun-crazy and educationally deprived US of A.

Things are never black & white when it comes to moral judgment. And that's my point.

Quote Originally posted by BeastOfBologna View Post
    Society needn't go to that extreme though emotionally it seems justified...Legal castration is a better solution I believe.
    The problem is that physical castration is mutilation, which is morally abject. There is the more humane option of chemical castration ─ the offenders are given a shot that renders them impotent for a long period of time ─ but it isn't permanent and would need to be periodically repeated.

But even then still, to what extent will this effectively remove their psychological sex drive? Even people whose bodies are physically not capable of feeling sexual arousal can still experience sexual feelings and desires. So I'm not so sure whether chemical castration would solve anything. Yet on the other hand, I am also not exactly convinced that pedophiles could be "cured" through psychotherapy either.

It's a difficult subject...
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (14th November 2021), Dreamtimer (13th November 2021), Emil El Zapato (12th November 2021), modwiz (12th November 2021), Wind (12th November 2021)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I have 'known' that people would be very bad for society via my dreams and instincts. And I was never in a position to do anything about it directly.

The only options open to me are to try to let others know, and try to protect myself as best as possible.

If the fascists get license to start going around shooting, 'arresting', and exercising vigilante justice, then my ethical decisions might just be motivated more by survival than anything else.

Clearly, there are many Americans who very easily lost the plot under the influence of a leader who says he's not responsible, doesn't have to apologize for anything, and promotes violence upon others.

An illness was revealed and the nation is still very sick. Many seem to believe that shooting people is a great solution to what ails them. And many innocent folks just might be murdered for nothing other than large-scale, vague accusations of horrible crimes.

Folks aren't caring about evidence.

It's very dangerous.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (14th November 2021), Aragorn (14th November 2021), Wind (13th November 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 35,452 Times in 10,162 Posts
    I have 'known' that people would be very bad for society via my dreams and instincts. And I was never in a position to do anything about it directly.

The only options open to me are to try to let others know, and try to protect myself as best as possible.

If the fascists get license to start going around shooting, 'arresting', and exercising vigilante justice, then my ethical decisions might just be motivated more by survival than anything else.

Clearly, there are many Americans who very easily lost the plot under the influence of a leader who says he's not responsible, doesn't have to apologize for anything, and promotes violence upon others.

An illness was revealed and the nation is still very sick. Many seem to believe that shooting people is a great solution to what ails them. And many innocent folks just might be murdered for nothing other than large-scale, vague accusations of horrible crimes.

It's very dangerous.
    DT are you sure your on the right thread ?.

Right was bad, okay.
    Left is bad , okay.

Now solutions or blame ?, blame is the old game imo, divide n Conquer is the old game imo, solutions ?, am sure we be on incorrect thread but maybe i am incorrect.

Thats better

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (14th November 2021), Dreamtimer (14th November 2021), modwiz (14th November 2021), Wind (14th November 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aianawa View Post

It's very dangerous.
    DT are you sure your on the right thread ?.

Right was bad, okay.
    Left is bad , okay.

Now solutions or blame ?, blame is the old game imo, divide n Conquer is the old game imo, solutions ?, am sure we be on incorrect thread but maybe i am incorrect.

Thats better

Can we please, pretty please keep politics out of this thread?

My description of the fictional scenario in which a 1930's-era German dissident with full and absolutely correct foreknowledge of the future would be in a position to assassinate Adolf Hitler and change the course of history had nothing, zero, zilch, nada to do with fascism, communism, left-ism, right-ism, or any other kind of political "ism". I was merely trying to illustrate how one can be opposed to the death penalty while at the same time not necessarily be opposed to killing.

You're so blinded by politics ─ and for that matter, once again US-centric politics ─ that you're completely missing the point I was trying to make with my post. My post was partly about ethics and partly about karmic resolution, and it is a very sad thing that people who like referring to themselves as spiritual cannot even see that.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (14th November 2021), Dreamtimer (14th November 2021), Fred Steeves (14th November 2021), modwiz (14th November 2021), Wind (14th November 2021)

Thanks
    Cheers Aragorn, was wandering what was going on.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (14th November 2021), Dreamtimer (14th November 2021), modwiz (14th November 2021), Wind (14th November 2021)

Thanks
    I would like to clarify that it was not my intention to bring in politics with my comment. The word fascist was relevant because it was that movement which brought Hitler to power as well as being a clear and present danger here in my country.

I wasn't considering that danger in political terms but in terms of loss of life and freedoms.

My dreams warn me of hazards which lie ahead, whatever they are. It may be a possible car accident, it may be a nefarious character, it may be a leader who encourages people to shoot each other.

We need to be able to discuss difficult issues and present dangers and we can try to avoid politics, but it always lurks. After all, it was a political system which allowed a man like Hitler to take power.

The evil inside some humans will use whatever system is at hand to be exploited.

That's why pedophiles go into churches, social services, public office, and more. They want access.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (14th November 2021), Aragorn (14th November 2021), modwiz (14th November 2021), Wind (15th November 2021)

Thanks
    Oh DT your gonna double down lol, what if your incorrect ?, still political.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (14th November 2021)

Thanks
    Double down on what? You see what's not there.

It was simple clarification of intent.

"...the individual in question does pose a clear and present danger to society, and if you don't stop him, then millions of innocent people are going to die, and many more are going to be maimed and tortured."

This is the heart of the discussion.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (14th November 2021), Aragorn (14th November 2021), Wind (15th November 2021)

Thanks
    "...the individual in question does pose a clear and present danger to society, and if you don't stop him, then millions of innocent people are going to die, and many more are going to be maimed and tortured."

This is the heart of the discussion.
    No, not really. It's about killing a person in order to protect either yourself and/or your loved ones, versus the legalized, organized and industrialized killing of an already harmless ─ because "detained and unarmed" ─ individual.

Remember how we got to this discussion? It was about applying the death penalty to pedophiles.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (14th November 2021), Dreamtimer (16th November 2021), modwiz (14th November 2021), Wind (15th November 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,307 Times in 7,221 Posts
    Have you ever seen Minority Report, Aragorn?

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th November 2021), Aragorn (15th November 2021), Dreamtimer (16th November 2021), modwiz (16th November 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    Have you ever seen Minority Report, Aragorn?
    Several times, actually. I first saw it in the theater, and I believe I may have also rented it on DVD later, and then I saw it again on digital television, back when I still had that.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (15th November 2021), Dreamtimer (16th November 2021), modwiz (16th November 2021), Wind (16th November 2021)

Thanks
    I've seen it many times too, but not in a theater. The premise was interesting, but as the movie showed such things can be corrupted too.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th November 2021), Aragorn (16th November 2021), Dreamtimer (17th November 2021)

Thanks

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th November 2021), Aragorn (16th November 2021), Dreamtimer (17th November 2021), modwiz (16th November 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Dane Calloway has put out a video I think belongs here. Not every video he makes would be appropriate for this thread, IMO.

"To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th November 2021), Aragorn (24th November 2021), Dreamtimer (26th November 2021), lilac (5th January 2022)