Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Compassion: it starts with you !!

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,405 Times in 3,015 Posts

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A-Egp0lECk

compassion continues

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tribe For This Useful Post:

mojo (26th April 2015), sandancer (4th April 2015), sandy (26th April 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tribe For This Useful Post:

Church (4th April 2015), mojo (26th April 2015), sandy (26th April 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_3wjpyVn0g

love is all you need

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tribe For This Useful Post:

mojo (26th April 2015), sandy (26th April 2015), Spiritwind (6th April 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,376 Times in 246 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by That Guy View Post
    Last night at work I cleaned the poop of a schizophrenic too young old man with terminal colon cancer, then I gave him morphine and helped him into bed and tucked him in, I turned up his radio and tv to block out the voices and left the lights on so there would be no scary shadows in his room, for me it was just another Sunday, for him it was awkward, we wished each other a good night, we are both happy we met and get along fine, I hope to clean his butt a couple of more times, we laughed ourselves half to death, of course he has the last laugh, as it should be.

A.
    R.I.P.

And indeed he laughed.
    Last edited by That Guy, 22nd April 2015 at 17:25.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to That Guy For This Useful Post:

sandy (26th April 2015), Sooz (26th April 2015)

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,605 Times in 252 Posts

The Story of Teddy Stallard & Miss Thompson

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RealityCreation For This Useful Post:

sandy (26th April 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    I have been thinking a lot about compassion lately, and what it means to me. I realized this morning that compassion is an art form, in a way, in that the more you practice it, the better your skill. I have found that many times as I reflect back on my life, my understanding of compassion has changed dramatically. I used to confuse compassion with my unconsciously programmed need to rescue another, and many times it was due to my own discomfort at what I was feeling in regards to what I felt was happening.*

An example of this is when I went to visit my ex partner with whom I had a daughter with. It is a long and very involved story of how I had come to this place, but anyway, on this occasion I had arrived at his home with him being in an extremely depressed state. He was even making comments that made me suspect he was going to end his life, which he actually did try to do on a later occasion. This time, though, he was trying very hard to manipulate me into staying to take care of him, knowing that my leaving him was a very difficult thing to do in the first place.*

I gave him a candle with a picture of Mother Mary on it, him having been Catholic when growing up. I said some prayers for him, gave him some prayers to say for himself, and then left. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. But it was also the beginning of being able to put myself first, as well as the compassion to let him face his own dark night, and humbly know that even if I had stayed, I was not in control. What I learned from this is that while I can share my journey with others on a similar path, and even be supportive in a mutually beneficial way, each must be able to carry themselves. I am not referring to him, but to myself. Some of us are so committed to service and helping others that we forget to take care of ourselves first.*

So, I guess the moral of this story is to make sure while you are being of service you are not also becoming a doormat as well. In the end you help no one when you forget to put yourself first. And that does not mean you are being selfish.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spiritwind For This Useful Post:

RealityCreation (26th April 2015), sandy (26th April 2015), Truthseeker85 (26th April 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Whoops, somehow it double posted. Feel free to delete this post. My computer is acting very strange.
    Last edited by Spiritwind, 26th April 2015 at 16:45.

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,398 Times in 3,150 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by That Guy View Post
    A.
    R.I.P.

And indeed he laughed.
    OMG, this deserves a bump. Thanks That Guy.

Last night at work I cleaned the poop of a schizophrenic too young old man with terminal colon cancer, then I gave him morphine and helped him into bed and tucked him in, I turned up his radio and tv to block out the voices and left the lights on so there would be no scary shadows in his room, for me it was just another Sunday, for him it was awkward, we wished each other a good night, we are both happy we met and get along fine, I hope to clean his butt a couple of more times, we laughed ourselves half to death, of course he has the last laugh, as it should be.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

sandy (26th April 2015), Spiritwind (26th April 2015), Truthseeker85 (26th April 2015)