Page 54 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4445152535455565764 ... LastLast

Thread: EXTRAS

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by giovonni View Post
    Rising like a Phoenix ...
    The Consummate ...

Black Rock City. The most unusual town on Earth.

Mar 12, 2021

32:22 minutes

Very cool, I've heard many stories about Burning man. Would be a nice once a lifetime experience to go there some day.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th March 2021), Dreamtimer (27th March 2021), Elen (28th March 2021), Gio (26th March 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 37,150 Times in 7,345 Posts
    Last edited by Gio, 27th March 2021 at 00:27. Reason: The F'en Faries
    Presenting an alternative to the alternative community.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th March 2021), Dreamtimer (27th March 2021), Elen (28th March 2021), modwiz (27th March 2021)

Thanks

Exclamation

A huge and lasting global dilemma ...

Suez Canal: Why is freeing the blocked ship so complicated? | DW News

"Experts are warning it could take weeks to dislodge a huge container ship blocking Egypt's Suez canal. A fresh attempt today to refloat the vessel was not successful. Around 30 percent of the world’s shipping container volume transits through the canal DAILY. More than a hundred and fifty ships are now backed up, waiting to enter the waterway. The Suez Canal opens up a seven thousand kilometer route from Asia to Europe.

The only alternative route - around the Horn of Africa - is much longer, but many ships are now opting for that detour. A prolonged closure of the Suez will almost certainly impact global trade, which has already been hit hard by the pandemic.The ship plugging the chokepoint that funnels 30 percent of the global seaborne trade.400 meters long and weighing more than 200,000 tons, the "Ever Given" has become an immovable barrier shutting down Egypt's Suez Canal. With around 10 billion dollars in trade at stake every day, diggers, tugboats, dredgers and a team of Dutch ship salvagers are working day and night to dislodge the vessel. More than 200 ships are caught in the world's longest maritime traffic jam.

Some of them are now rerouting their journey around the Cape of Good Hope, a trip almost three times as long. The fear is that consumers will be noticing the delays before long.With the clock ticking, the US is among a growing list of countries offering help to refloat the Ever Given.DW spoke with maritime expert Dr. Sal Mercogliano about how the ship became lodged and what makes freeing it so complicated."

Mar 27, 2021

5:08 minutes

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th March 2021), Elen (28th March 2021)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Rising like a Phoenix ...
    The Consummate ...

Black Rock City. The most unusual town on Earth.

Mar 12, 2021

32:22 minutes

I can't help but think of Brook.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th March 2021), Elen (28th March 2021), Gio (28th March 2021), Wind (28th March 2021)

Thanks
    "The wealth-hiding system is not a minor sideshow
    in the larger economic system — it is the system."

The shocking ways billionaires,
    highly profitable companies
    hide their money

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th March 2021), Dreamtimer (28th March 2021), Elen (28th March 2021), Wind (28th March 2021)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    The same thing happened to me.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th March 2021), Dreamtimer (28th March 2021), Gio (28th March 2021), Wind (28th March 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Elen View Post
    The same thing happened to me.
    Yes in some ways, BM does brings back a sad memory ...

John was her first born son (of three), very uniquely special in many ways ...
    He was always held in esteem in her life, and unfortunately he died (before her).

'In 2012 at Burning Man, Camp leader John Pedone died in a motorcycle accident.'

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th March 2021), Dreamtimer (29th March 2021), Elen (29th March 2021), Wind (28th March 2021)

Thanks

Thinking

In my opinion, unless (and only if) the church changes the rules,
    whether they be straight or gay - priest should maintain celibacy.

Gay priests: Breaking the silence

CBS Sunday Morning

"It's believed that a significant percentage of Catholic priests are living closeted lives, despite the Church's teachings that acting on homosexual desires is a sin. Correspondent Seth Doane examines the Vatican's wish that gay priests keep silent about their sexual identity, and talks with a Wisconsin priest – one of just 10 openly gay priests in the U.S. – who was welcomed by his congregation after coming out."

Mar 28, 2021

9:19 minutes

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th March 2021), Dreamtimer (29th March 2021), Elen (29th March 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    In my opinion, unless (and only if) the church changes the rules,
    whether they be straight or gay - priest should maintain celibacy.
    This is actually food for an interesting debate ─ not the sexual orientation, but the concept of mandatory celibacy within any organized religion. I could be mistaken ─ and I probably am ─ but to the best of my knowledge, there are only two organized religions that demand taking the vow of celibacy, i.e. Catholicism and Buddhism ─ and I'm not even certain about the latter.

Within the Roman Catholic Church, the mandatory vow of celibacy was in fact born out of nothing other than misogyny. The apostle Peter, who founded the Roman Catholic Church together with the apostle Paul, was a misogynist, even though he himself was a married man with children. He felt that women were unworthy. And that is also why the Roman Catholic Church disallows women to become priestesses. The same is true for Judaism and Islam, but at least Jewish Rabbis and Muslim Imams may officially get married and start families. And within the Anglican Church, not only can ministers be married and start families, but even women can become ministers. Now there's a progressive branch of Christianity if I've ever seen one.

Sexuality is an essential part of life for all mammals. Every mammal is sensitive to sexual stimuli, and when deprived of external sexual stimuli and of the ability to relieve sexual tensions, the human psyche will respond to this by becoming neurologically overly sensitive to sexual stimulation and by introducing erotic elements in one's dreams. It's a simple psychosomatic mechanism ─ the same one that triggers similar physical responses when entering puberty.

The above in mind, I would also contend that the mandatory sexual deprivation of Catholic priests and nuns has greatly contributed to the sexual abuse of children by both groups of people. It won't be the only factor, of course, but not every priest or nun who ever sexually abused a child is genuinely a pedophile in the sense of "a person who becomes sexually aroused by children". But if you deprive a human being of food long enough, he or she will eat anything, and I believe that this would apply to sexual deprivation as well. After all, not every prison inmate who sexually abuses another inmate is gay either ─ whether openly or covertly. And children are a vulnerable and innocent prey in that regard.

Now, that all said, I am opposed to any form of organized religion, and I even consider the concept of a dogmatic religion in and of itself quite foolish, so in essence it doesn't matter to myself personally whether any particular religion demands a vow of celibacy from its ministers or not. I do however feel that it is wrong and unnatural, just as I also feel that the discrimination of women within Catholicism, Judaism and Islam is abject.

P.S.: The Roman Catholic Church isn't exactly true to its own principles either. A number of years ago, under the reign of Pope Benedict XVI, a formerly Protestant minister who was married and had children decided to convert to Catholicism and was officially ordained as a Catholic priest, in spite of the fact that he was a married man. I guess that all animals are equal, but that some are more equal than others, eh?
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (29th March 2021), Elen (29th March 2021), Gio (28th March 2021), Wind (28th March 2021)

Thanks

Thinking

Yes, a very convoluted issue ...
    I have a religious friend, who was ordained in the Episcopal Church, and was married (with children) who decided to take an offered position in a Catholic parish church (in which it was allowed by the local bishop).

I lived in a cloistered monastery while serving my vocation, and was required to be calibrate - which i had no problems with (having been married and lived a full adult life prior to on the outside world).

I would personally discourage young men or women from taking up calibrate religious life, before experiencing life itself first.

Everyone has an opinion - (on religion or sexually), are these old traditions worth carrying on, probably not (much longer). But rules are rules.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th March 2021), Dreamtimer (29th March 2021), Elen (29th March 2021), Wind (28th March 2021)

Thanks

Exclamation

Updated ...

Massive ship Ever Given ‘re-
    floated’ after blocking Suez
    Canal for six days

A huge and lasting global dilemma ...

Suez Canal: Why is freeing the blocked ship so complicated? | DW News

"Experts are warning it could take weeks to dislodge a huge container ship blocking Egypt's Suez canal. A fresh attempt today to refloat the vessel was not successful. Around 30 percent of the world’s shipping container volume transits through the canal DAILY. More than a hundred and fifty ships are now backed up, waiting to enter the waterway. The Suez Canal opens up a seven thousand kilometer route from Asia to Europe.

The only alternative route - around the Horn of Africa - is much longer, but many ships are now opting for that detour. A prolonged closure of the Suez will almost certainly impact global trade, which has already been hit hard by the pandemic.The ship plugging the chokepoint that funnels 30 percent of the global seaborne trade.400 meters long and weighing more than 200,000 tons, the "Ever Given" has become an immovable barrier shutting down Egypt's Suez Canal. With around 10 billion dollars in trade at stake every day, diggers, tugboats, dredgers and a team of Dutch ship salvagers are working day and night to dislodge the vessel. More than 200 ships are caught in the world's longest maritime traffic jam.

Some of them are now rerouting their journey around the Cape of Good Hope, a trip almost three times as long. The fear is that consumers will be noticing the delays before long.With the clock ticking, the US is among a growing list of countries offering help to refloat the Ever Given.DW spoke with maritime expert Dr. Sal Mercogliano about how the ship became lodged and what makes freeing it so complicated."

Mar 27, 2021

5:08 minutes

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (29th March 2021), Dreamtimer (29th March 2021), Elen (29th March 2021), Wind (29th March 2021)

Thanks
    I don't know what's on the containers, hopefully not too much that's perishable. We may need to be stocked up on toilet paper again.

I know where the Suez canal is. And yet, for the first two or three days I kept thinking of Panama, even though I kept hearing Suez. I have no idea why.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (29th March 2021), Gio (29th March 2021), Wind (29th March 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    I don't know what's on the containers, hopefully not too much that's perishable.
    Boxes from Russia with votes for Donald Trump.

We may need to be stocked up on toilet paper again.
    I never understood why people were buying truckloads of toilet paper when the pandemic broke out. It's not like you can make masks out of the stuff.

I know where the Suez canal is. And yet, for the first two or three days I kept thinking of Panama, even though I kept hearing Suez. I have no idea why.
    Because of the Panama Canal, maybe?
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (29th March 2021), Gio (29th March 2021), Wind (29th March 2021)

Thanks
    Maybe...

It's Shipping Derangement Syndrome.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (29th March 2021), Gio (29th March 2021), Wind (29th March 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (29th March 2021), Dreamtimer (30th March 2021), Gio (29th March 2021)