Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Thread: Humanity Stands at Standing Rock

Thanks
    Thanked 80,967 Times in 20,254 Posts

Thumbs Up Judge Rejects 'Riot' Charges Against Journalist Amy Goodman for Covering North Dakota Pipeline Protest

Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Source: TechCrunch

Investigative reporter and co-founder of Democracy Now!, Amy Goodman, is now facing riot charges in the state of North Dakota after her report on a Native American-led pipeline protest there went viral on Facebook.

Democracy Now! issued a statement about the new charges against Goodman late Saturday.

[...]

Source: TechCrunch

Source: Alternet

On Monday, a North Dakota judge refused to authorize riot charges against award-winning journalist Amy Goodman for her reporting on an attack against Native American-led anti-pipeline protesters.

“This is a complete vindication of my right as a journalist to cover the attack on the protesters, and of the public’s right to know what is happening with the Dakota Access pipeline,” said Goodman. "We will continue to report on this epic struggle of Native Americans and their non-Native allies taking on the fossil fuel industry and an increasingly militarized police in this time when climate change threatens the planet."

District Judge John Grinsteiner did not find probable cause to justify the charges filed on Friday October 14 by State’s Attorney Ladd R. Erickson. Those charges were presented after Erickson had withdrawn an earlier charge against Goodman of criminal trespass. Goodman had returned to North Dakota to turn herself in to the trespassing charge.

The charges in State of North Dakota v. Amy Goodman stemmed from Democracy Now!’s coverage of protests against the Dakota Access pipeline. On Saturday, September 3, Democracy Now! filmed security guards working for the pipeline company attacking protesters. The report showed guards unleashing dogs and using pepper spray and featured people with bite injuries and a dog with blood dripping from its mouth and nose.

Democracy Now!’s report went viral online, was viewed more than 14 million times on Facebook and was rebroadcast on many outlets, including CBS, NBC, NPR, CNN, MSNBC and the Huffington Post.

On September 8, a criminal complaint and warrant was issued for Goodman’s arrest on the trespassing charge.

"These shifting charges were a transparent attempt by the prosecutor to intimidate Amy Goodman and to silence coverage of the resistance to the pipeline," said Reed Brody, an attorney for Goodman. "Fortunately, these bully tactics didn’t work and freedom of the press has prevailed."

The pipeline project has faced months of resistance from the Standing Rock Sioux tribe and members of over 100 other tribes from across the U.S., Canada and Latin America.

Goodman is the host and executive producer of Democracy Now!, a national, daily, independent, award-winning public television/radio news program that airs on over 1,400 stations worldwide. Goodman has co-authored six New York Times bestsellers and won many of journalism’s highest awards in more than three decades working as a reporter.

To see Democracy Now!’s coverage of the pipeline and the protests, please visit http://www.democracynow.org/topics/dakota_access.

Source: Alternet
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (28th October 2016), Dreamtimer (29th October 2016), Elen (23rd October 2016), Gio (23rd October 2016), lcam88 (23rd October 2016), modwiz (23rd October 2016), sandy (23rd October 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 37,150 Times in 7,345 Posts

Question

the latest ...

North Dakota - Police arrest Water Protectors

From The Truth Denied

Note no video descriptive

Published on Oct 22, 2016

Last edited by Gio, 23rd October 2016 at 01:51.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (28th October 2016), Aragorn (23rd October 2016), Dreamtimer (29th October 2016), Elen (23rd October 2016), Greenbarry (29th October 2016), JRS (24th October 2016), lcam88 (23rd October 2016), modwiz (23rd October 2016), sandy (23rd October 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,020 Times in 1,226 Posts
    HEY!!! It made the mainstream news:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/27/us/dak...line-protests/

Here's Robert Reich's FB comment on it:

On the same day that a jury acquitted the Bundy brothers and their fellow protesters for taking over federal land in Oregon last January, police in North Dakota today used pepper spray gas and a painful high-pitched siren, and then arrested 117 Native Americans and others for protesting a private oil pipeline across land they say belongs to the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe under a 19th-century treaty. In other words, it's fine to mount an armed insurrection so your cattle can graze for free on federal land, but not if you want to protect your sacred burial ground or your only source of water from a private for-profit oil pipeline company.

What do you think?
    Here's what I had to say:

The Bundy Ranch thing played a big role in my calling to go to Standing Rock, I could not understand how there was national coverage of some white people's ranch land dispute literally in the middle of absolutely NOWHERE (Eastern Oregon makes that part of North Dakota seem URBAN), yet this thing that is uniting all the tribes of the world, 30-40 miles down the road from the capital city, potentially effecting MILLIONS, is not getting a lick of attention.

As much as to try to help to protect the water and experience what i consider a historical event, I went to see first hand something being twisted in the few crumbs of "news" that had been allowed to that point, and found how impossible those that provide our information have made it to discern anything meaningful that actually coincides with actual reality.

We have to be really good at lying to ourselves to be able to muck through this existence and hold the cognitive dissonances required to be ok with it.

Nearly everything we "know" is lies, or based on lies. Every piece of information we are provided is an emotional manipulation. We need to learn a balance...mature and loving emotional detachment from our beliefs so that we can THINK clearly and honestly about what we FEEL, what's important to us...

...It was a real shitshow yesterday, I assume which will continue today. They have a friggin army of enforcers, shots were fired, people hit (and beat up), a horse was killed...MAYBE it might get a fraction of the coverage the white rancher's land dispute in Eastern Oregon got now?
    What is the purpose of your presence?

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to donk For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (28th October 2016), Aragorn (28th October 2016), Dreamtimer (29th October 2016), Elen (28th October 2016), Gio (28th October 2016), Greenbarry (29th October 2016), modwiz (29th October 2016)

Thanks

Question

These thugs do mean business ...
    And unfortunately cash has always been king ...

Yesterday/Rubber bullets in the face of peaceful
    and prayerful Water Protectors at Standing Rock.

What's to be ?

Actor #MarkRuffalo and the youth of #StandingRock answer your questions
    regarding the current situation ...

click screen to watch

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (28th October 2016), Aragorn (28th October 2016), Dreamtimer (29th October 2016), Elen (28th October 2016), heyokah (31st October 2016), Maggie (28th October 2016), modwiz (29th October 2016), zendeavor (28th October 2016)

Thanks

Thumbs Up

Perhaps a divine sign from above ...

Thousands of Wild Buffalo Appear Out of Nowhere at Standing Rock

Published on Oct 28, 2016

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEB3F5ON0XA

More of this posted today ...
    Whether staged or not - very symbolic indeed!

click screen to watch

Last edited by Gio, 29th October 2016 at 00:16.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (28th October 2016), Aragorn (28th October 2016), Dreamtimer (29th October 2016), Elen (29th October 2016), Greenbarry (29th October 2016), heyokah (31st October 2016), modwiz (29th October 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,514 Times in 431 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by donk View Post
    Here's what I had to say:

The Bundy Ranch thing played a big role in my calling to go to Standing Rock, I could not understand how there was national coverage of some white people's ranch land dispute literally in the middle of absolutely NOWHERE (Eastern Oregon makes that part of North Dakota seem URBAN), yet this thing that is uniting all the tribes of the world, 30-40 miles down the road from the capital city, potentially effecting MILLIONS, is not getting a lick of attention.

As much as to try to help to protect the water and experience what i consider a historical event, I went to see first hand something being twisted in the few crumbs of "news" that had been allowed to that point, and found how impossible those that provide our information have made it to discern anything meaningful that actually coincides with actual reality.

We have to be really good at lying to ourselves to be able to muck through this existence and hold the cognitive dissonances required to be ok with it.

Nearly everything we "know" is lies, or based on lies. Every piece of information we are provided is an emotional manipulation. We need to learn a balance...mature and loving emotional detachment from our beliefs so that we can THINK clearly and honestly about what we FEEL, what's important to us...

...It was a real shitshow yesterday, I assume which will continue today. They have a friggin army of enforcers, shots were fired, people hit (and beat up), a horse was killed...MAYBE it might get a fraction of the coverage the white rancher's land dispute in Eastern Oregon got now?
    The reason the Bundy ranch standoffs received a ton of media coverage was because they hoped the media could spin the story against the ranchers under the guise of faux environmentalism. The public didn't buy the lies and it back fired on them big time. The media coverage turned into a total disaster for the powers that be because it accidentally exposed the naked hand of government tyranny. The key word here is accidentally. It wasn't supposed to happen that way. The media was supposed to turn the public against the ranchers but it did the opposite. They are not going to make the same mistake twice at standing rock. If the powers that be thought they could leverage media against you there would be wall to wall coverage and the place would be crawling with reporters.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Novusod For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (29th October 2016), Aragorn (28th October 2016), donk (29th October 2016), Dreamtimer (29th October 2016), Elen (29th October 2016), Gio (28th October 2016), Greenbarry (29th October 2016), modwiz (29th October 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,015 Times in 2,615 Posts
    I really hate to see Left vs. Right, even white skin vs. red skin, as part of this event. The Bundy story is a darling of the Right, while Standing Rock a darling of the Left. Really? Why is that? Because I see in both cases a very common theme, an ever more overbearing and overreaching government. You didn't see Amy Goodman at the Bundy ranch, and you sure won't see James O'Keefe in North Dakota. Robert Reich has an opinion on this matter about as unbiased as a Newt Gingrich opinion would be, and I even saw a young Lakota man calling himself a warrior, addressing the "non whites' in the line of police waiting with batons, about how they should have grievance with what the white man has done to them as well. As if those in the white race can't have that very same grievance? That. Is. Not. Cool.

You know what? I don't care whether the Bundys are green, the Lakotas blue, and the militarized police pink and purple poka dots. The problem here is not skin color, and it shouldn't be political either. We're all in this thing together, and if we let it become about these silly side hot button issues then we all lose. Again...

White man has spoken, and not with forked tongue.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (29th October 2016), Aragorn (28th October 2016), donk (29th October 2016), Dreamtimer (29th October 2016), Elen (29th October 2016), Gio (28th October 2016), modwiz (29th October 2016), Novusod (28th October 2016)

Thanks

Lightbulb

To me it should always be about protecting the environment (wildlife/water-sources/ and land) We humans are supposedly the inherent stewards of this planet (all races included). We must view both of these incident situations whether in Oregon or North Dakota and anywhere else in the same light ... And believe me, there will be other such disputes ahead forthcoming globally ... You can count on it.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (29th October 2016), Aragorn (28th October 2016), Dreamtimer (29th October 2016), Elen (29th October 2016), modwiz (29th October 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    I really hate to see Left vs. Right, even white skin vs. red skin, as part of this event. The Bundy story is a darling of the Right, while Standing Rock a darling of the Left. Really? Why is that? Because I see in both cases a very common theme, an ever more overbearing and overreaching government. You didn't see Amy Goodman at the Bundy ranch, and you sure won't see James O'Keefe in North Dakota. Robert Reich has an opinion on this matter about as unbiased as a Newt Gingrich opinion would be, and I even saw a young Lakota man calling himself a warrior, addressing the "non whites' in the line of police waiting with batons, about how they should have grievance with what the white man has done to them as well. As if those in the white race can't have that very same grievance? That. Is. Not. Cool.

You know what? I don't care whether the Bundys are green, the Lakotas blue, and the militarized police pink and purple poka dots. The problem here is not skin color, and it shouldn't be political either. We're all in this thing together, and if we let it become about these silly side hot button issues then we all lose. Again...

White man has spoken, and not with forked tongue.
    I agree 100% with this. The Bundys and the Lakotas should be standing side by side for they share a common enemy. The liberty movement is currently divided into left and right factions and this is unfortunate. This arrangement only benefits the enemies of freedom because it is a standard divide and conquer tactic. We also saw this with the Ron Paul vs Bernie Sanders division. They are both anti-establishment candidates who were a threat to the status quo but the supporters were divided into left vs right camps so neither movement really got anywhere. The more people that come together under the broader banner of liberty the faster victory can be achieved over tyranny.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Novusod For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (29th October 2016), Aragorn (28th October 2016), Dreamtimer (29th October 2016), Elen (29th October 2016), modwiz (29th October 2016)

Thanks

Question

The bottom line ...

Why Do We Fight So Hard To Stop This Black Snake?

This is Why!

Should the pipelines break, leak and burst. The amount of oil will reach the waters of the Gulf of Mexico. We are fighting for people to have CLEAN WATER All people.

All should should and must stand up.

Read Why!

DAPL capacity = 470,000 barrel per day (570,000 barrels max)
    470,000 barrels = 19,740,000 gallons per day
    19,740,000 gallons = 2,638,854 cubic feet per day

Now just imagine what would happen if the pipe were to fail catastrophically for just ONE hour...that's 109,952 cubic feet, or 822,498 gallons of oil...these are not meandering streams

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (29th October 2016), Aragorn (29th October 2016), donk (29th October 2016), Dreamtimer (29th October 2016), Elen (29th October 2016), Maggie (31st October 2016), modwiz (29th October 2016)

Thanks
    I personally believe that at the root of Standing Rock, like the Bundy the ranch, the real issue is the concept LAND OWNERSHIP...THAT is the contrast I highlight between these two events, and I am in agreement that the way the media was used is drastically different...precisely because of what "they" want to manipulate thought about the idea.

Unfortunately the "civilization" version of the concept is more easily associated with "white", but if you can get past the emotional triggers you might see that "civilized" people in Oregon fighting for what they feel is theirs necessarily shows the glaring difference of how it's handled (and covered) than when natives given sh!tty false treaties for slices of land that were historically "theirs" anyway try to protect it.

I fear if people can't see the insanity of the concept and look it at with loving detachment, wars over who OWNS land (and how they choose to use it) will continue, it's our toxic mindset that ensures "war, war never changes". My biggest fear is the natives picking up too much of "our mind", and use deception (like with the buffalo thing, apparently two natives lead the herd to the scene, not (direct) divine buffalo spirit medicine) and laws (we made to control) and other white/civilized tactics

The real difference in the two episodes is the water protectors stand prayerfully holding space for nonviolence to defend the earth for everyone, where as the ranchers came with angry aggression, boot straps jacked up, strapped with guns and righteousness to take back "what's theirs".
    Last edited by donk, 29th October 2016 at 13:48.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to donk For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (30th October 2016), Aragorn (29th October 2016), Dreamtimer (29th October 2016), Elen (30th October 2016), Gio (29th October 2016), modwiz (29th October 2016), Novusod (29th October 2016)

Thanks
    The elder in this one says it best:

https://www.facebook.com/CampOfTheSa...3941612894869/

"Enough is enough"

That is the antithesis to civilization, the so called "American dream", where most individual can NEVER have enough, and we're encouraged to TAKE what we can, no matter what the cost, no matter at whoms' expense.

Standing Rock happens to be "fight for what's 'right' ", ya know, cuz we all need water to live. But if they "turn civilized" and make into a WAR for what's 'right', they will be falling into the same trap, empowering the status quo.

I really think "mindset" is important here. It may seem subtle, but maybe it's that subtlety that makes it so none of easily see how our thinking propogates the problem.

Hopefully what Daniel Quinn called the "Leaver" mindset can prevail there. Having this stand be based on the people indigenous to the land SHOULDN'T be important, but the "Taker" mindset makes it so. We must REMEMBER when humans were in touch with the Earth, connected.

The Lakota, the hundreds of tribes that came to the call, can show us...and they set up a situation where thousands of loving "civilized" people from around the world can learn first hand, and bring it out of the camp and to the rest of the world, that needs an attitude change just as badly
    Last edited by donk, 29th October 2016 at 13:48.

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to donk For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (30th October 2016), Aragorn (29th October 2016), Dreamtimer (30th October 2016), Elen (30th October 2016), Gio (29th October 2016), Maggie (31st October 2016), modwiz (29th October 2016), Novusod (29th October 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    There are some scary reports coming out of Standing rock right now.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Novusod For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (30th October 2016), Aragorn (30th October 2016), Dreamtimer (30th October 2016), Elen (30th October 2016), modwiz (30th October 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 35,452 Times in 10,162 Posts
    How many there atm ?, the call has gone out strongly for help to Stand, is the number growing ?.

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th October 2016), Dreamtimer (30th October 2016), Elen (30th October 2016), Gio (30th October 2016), modwiz (31st October 2016), Novusod (30th October 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aianawa View Post
    How many there atm ?, the call has gone out strongly for help to Stand, is the number growing ?.
    I have heard there are 7 or 8 thousand protesters atm.

Potential GOOD news is the report of the 11 year shot might be a false alarm. I pray that it hasn't come to such violence and that it turns out to be false.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Novusod For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th October 2016), Dreamtimer (30th October 2016), Elen (30th October 2016), modwiz (31st October 2016)