Page 374 of 447 FirstFirst ... 274324364371372373374375376377384424 ... LastLast
Results 5,596 to 5,610 of 6697

Thread: The Cosmic Emporium

Thanks
    Thanked 37,375 Times in 7,425 Posts

Returning Topic

New day
    My game
    My rules
    My say ...

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (13th March 2020), Aragorn (12th March 2020), Dreamtimer (12th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (12th March 2020)

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (13th March 2020), Aragorn (12th March 2020), Dreamtimer (12th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (12th March 2020), Wind (12th March 2020)

Thanks

Lightbulb

My God

♪ People what have you done:
    locked Him in His golden cage,
    golden cage.

Made Him bend to your religion
    Him resurrected from the grave,
    from the grave.

He is the god of nothing
    if that's all that you can see.
    You are the god of everything
    He's inside you and me.

So lean upon Him gently
    and don't call on Him to save
    you from your social graces
    and the sins you used to waive,
    used to waive ♪

Jethro Tull

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (13th March 2020), Aragorn (12th March 2020), Dreamtimer (12th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (12th March 2020)

Thanks

Outbreak, the Urge to
    Touch One’s Face Is
    Stronger Than Ever

By Jody Rosen
    March 11, 2020

Face-touching haunts our history. Depictions of the expulsion from Eden show Adam with hands clapped over his eyes in shame.
    Art work by Raphael / Getty

It is hard to resist the urge to touch one’s face. This has been true, an irrefutable fact of human existence, for a while now. At the University of Michigan Museum of Natural History, there is a life-size sculptural reconstruction of one of our ancestors, Australopithecus sediba, who roamed the earth two million years ago. The creature is shown pressing a gnarled forefinger to an earlobe. Now, with the outbreak of the novel coronavirus, humanity is confronting a face-touching crisis. The virus has brought widespread confusion and uncertainty, but there is a consensus among public-health officials that the most basic step you can take to protect yourself and others is to wash your hands frequently and to keep those hands from colliding with your face.

Science tells us that this is easier said than done. One study of “hand-to-face contact rates” found that subjects touched their faces some fifteen times per hour. Researchers in Australia put the number at twenty-three. Another measure of the prevalence of face-touching is the social stigma against it. All of our lives, we have been told not to touch our faces, especially in public, in the interest of etiquette. It’s bad form to go digging for eye gunk at a dinner-party table; it’s unwise to trouble a zit during a job interview. There are particularly strong taboos against probing facial orifices—picking your nose, mining earwax, using your fingernail to pry loose the scrap of Swiss chard that has wound itself around a tooth—perhaps because the impulse to perform this kind of under-the-hood maintenance is so powerful.

Yet the prospect of social ostracism, the fear of grossing out friends and neighbors, the knowledge that we are liable to introduce bacteria to our bodies and offload it to others in the vicinity—none of this, apparently, is enough to stop us from jabbing and tugging and kneading our faces. A Washington Post article from last week detailed instances of politicians brushing hair from their brows and licking their fingertips mere seconds after warning Americans to refrain from such behaviors. In short, the coronavirus crisis has reminded us that, for all our airs and graces, we are filthy beasts. We wallow in oceans of schmutz; we smear additional schmutz on and in our faces, more or less continuously.

Face-touching haunts our history; it is immortalized in art and literature. Depictions of the expulsion from Eden show Adam with hands clapped over his eyes in shame. Images of hand-to-face contact echo in the songs of bards. Think of Romeo, gazing up at Juliet on the balcony: “See, how she leans her cheek upon her hand! / O, that I were a glove upon that hand, / That I might touch that cheek!” Consider some other icons: Rodin’s Thinker; Clement Clarke Moore’s St. Nicholas, “laying his finger aside of his nose”; Munch’s Screamer; Macaulay Culkin’s Screamer; Dr. Evil, with his pinky poised coquettishly on his lips; Beyoncé, holding her titanium “roboglove” to her cheek in the “Single Ladies” video. Writers in particular are inveterate face-touchers. Flip open a book to the author photo and you will find a head balanced on a hand, a pose whose mix of thoughtful, blasé, and smug is evidently international code for “I am a litterateur.” Face-touching inflects our modern language of memes and GIFs and SMS, from the facepalm hashtag to the see-, hear-, and speak-no-evil monkey emojis. What would life be like if strict segregation of hands and faces was in place? What would culture look like going forward? These are questions—as Arsenio Hall might put it, raising a slender finger to his temple—that make you go, “Hmmm.”

In the meantime, logistics are getting complicated. Without touching your face, it is hard to eat and drink, at least in the modern, urban way, gulping down a bagel and coffee on the run. It is difficult to turn a presentable face to the world. Fluffing up coiffure and smoothing down eyebrows, putting on makeup and keeping it shipshape, applying moisturizer and sunscreen—performing these actions hands-free is tricky. Communication is undermined. This morning, I called out to a friend across the street. To make my voice heard over the traffic, I encircled my mouth with my hands to form a little megaphone; my friend cupped a hand around his right ear. It was a face-touching two-fer. I probably should have waited for the light to change.

Some of the most eloquent statements we make require no spoken words. But our vocabulary of gestures is impoverished when hand-to-face contact is removed from the equation. Children on the playground will have to jettison the “Nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah” taunt, where the thumbs are thrust into ears and the fingers waggle. We will have to find a way to indicate snobbery that doesn’t involve lifting the tip of the nose. Obscene gestures will be particularly hard hit. It is interesting to note how many of these gestures, from the Italian chin flick to the South Asian Cutis, reflect the idea of contagion: launching an armada of microbes in the direction of your adversary.

Under the present conditions, it is advisable to avoid the kind of guy who does a lot of chin-flicking. Of course the more pressing challenge is to control one’s own reckless hand-to-face contact. The Brooklyn café where I am typing these words, cheek by jowl with other laptoppers, may well be a coronavirus incubator—every tabletop slathered in pathogens, each oat-milk cortado topped with a frothy dollop of SARS-CoV-2. It is a place where, you would think, a person could remember to stop touching his face, especially a person who is in the process of writing an article on the subject of face-touching. Yet in the last hour I must have rubbed my eyes, massaged my forehead, scratched my cheeks, itched my nose, yanked my earlobes, and stroked my chin dozens of times.

Brain researchers have offered a possible explanation. The authors of a study published in 2014 hypothesized that “spontaneous facial self-touch” helps to jump-start the memory, process information, and regulate emotions. Like many self-employed information-economy workers, I perform my job in a near-permanent state of blind panic, hunched over a screen for hours on end. Without that soothing self-touch, a little massage to calm the nerves and get the synapses firing, the entire enterprise might grind to a halt.

It is an irony of the moment: the moratorium on anxiety-alleviating hand-to-face action has come at a time when we’re extra anxious, more apt than ever to reflexively stretch our fingers toward the old bean in an attempt to restore equilibrium. Even those who appear to have little in the way of a functional interior life are affected. (“I haven’t touched my face in weeks,” Donald Trump told reporters last week. “I miss it.”) There is perhaps another, deeper reason why, now more than ever, we find ourselves inclined to clutch at our faces. In this new plague time, when life has turned surreal, when news of quarantines and skyrocketing infections fill the news and frightening prospects loom on the horizon, face-touching may meet a unconscious psychic-spiritual need, serving as a kind of existential spot-check. Eyes, ears, nose, mouth: yep, all present and accounted for. For the time being, at least, everything is in its place.

Source/article reference links: newyorker.com

* Note also below under Source/article reference > links to these items ...

A Guide to the Coronavirus

* How much of the world is likely to be quarantined?

* Donald Trump in the time of coronavirus.

* The coronavirus is likely to spread for months, if not more than a year, before a vaccine could be widely available.

* We are all irrational panic shoppers.

* The strange terror of watching the coronavirus take Rome.

* How pandemics change history.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Wink

And inevitably ...

“I really don’t mind coming into the office to work.”

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Question

For those inclined ...

COVID-19 Updates, Abductee Interview, Viewer Q&A

Earthfiles

Tonight's topics:

COVID-19 updates:
    - WHO declares a coronavirus pandemic
    - US reported 1,109 new cases, 41 deaths
    - New Rochelle on lockdown
    - Michael Osterholm estimates projection. “This is not one to be taken lightly”

Abductee Interview
    - Interview with “Wana Lawson” / Arrawana Allen, abductee from “Glimpses of Other Realities Volume 2: High Strangeness”

Viewer Q&A

Streamed live - 3/11/2020

1:05:51 minutes

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I used to draw that daisy picture when I was a girl. But they were happy and smiling and not holding anyone or anything.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (13th March 2020), Aragorn (12th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (12th March 2020), Gio (12th March 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 81,107 Times in 20,308 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by giovonni View Post
    Is that a Trump rally?
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (13th March 2020), Dreamtimer (13th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (12th March 2020), Gio (12th March 2020), Wind (12th March 2020)

Thanks

Question

'Whether engineered or natural' ...

Is Coronavirus the Next 9/11?

In this conversation recorded on March 9th, James Corbett joins Chuck Ochelli on The Ochelli Effect to discuss the pandemic panic and its parallels to other "world-altering" (but ultimately manipulated) crises like 9/11. What is the real threat here? What is being neglected in coverage of the phenomenon? What else is happening in the world that this story is overshadowing? Your questions are answered in this in-depth conversation.

SHOW NOTES AND MP3 AUDIO: https://www.corbettreport.com/?p=35360

Mar 12, 2020

58:55 minutes

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (13th March 2020), Aragorn (12th March 2020), Dreamtimer (13th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (12th March 2020), Wind (12th March 2020)

Thanks
    IT"S OFFICIAL ...

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (13th March 2020), Aragorn (13th March 2020), Dreamtimer (13th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (14th March 2020), Wind (13th March 2020)

Thanks

Thinking

Putting it all in perspective ...

David Ropeik: How Risky Is It, Really? | Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO)

"How Risky Is It, Really" author David Ropeik joins Bill to discuss human behavior in response to threats both real and perceived.

Mar. Fri. 13, 2020

11:00 minutes

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (14th March 2020), Chris (14th March 2020), Dreamtimer (14th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (14th March 2020)

Thanks
    Meanwhile ~ while were having a mid March snow storm here in Spokane ...
    Adam (the Woo) is in Florida bringing his (latest) cross country trek to close ...

What Was Friday The 13th Like at Disney World Before Closures -
    Haunted Mansion / Tower of Terror

TheDailyWoo

A visit to Walt Disney World in central Florida for the final weekend before the parks close . Friday the 13th is the perfect opportunity to ride Haunted Mansion and Tower of Terror ...

Countdown to closures is on . I’ll be covering the progression till the Orlando area Disney parks shut their doors . Then figure out how I’m getting home to California.

Mar 14, 2020

13:22 minutes

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (14th March 2020), Chris (14th March 2020), Dreamtimer (14th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (14th March 2020)

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,908 Times in 1,858 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by giovonni View Post
    Putting it all in perspective ...

David Ropeik: How Risky Is It, Really? | Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO)

Mar. Fri. 13, 2020

11:00 minutes

I saw the first minute of that segment. What an atrocious, even criminal lie.

He starts off with the assertion that this virus isn't airborne, you can only get it by touching surfaces and then your face, therefore no big deal, people are worrying about nothing?

There is no way that someone like him doesn't know that this is an outrageous lie, obviously he was wheeled out on who know's whose decision (they should go to jail for criminal negligence and deliberate misleading of the public) to try to "reassure" the public.

It is clear now that the chief way this virus spreads is through airborne particles and in fact the virus can linger in the air, still contagious, for up to three hours. That is why it is so contagious and why any indoor space, particularly large spaces with central air conditioning systems are so dangerous right now. I honestly think that such criminal and gross negligence from a public figure deserves a lengthy jail sentence. People might die because of this utter moron.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (14th March 2020), Dreamtimer (14th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (14th March 2020), Gio (14th March 2020), Wind (15th March 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 81,107 Times in 20,308 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Chris View Post
    It is clear now that the chief way this virus spreads is through airborne particles and in fact the virus can linger in the air, still contagious, for up to three hours.
    This is correct, and very important.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Chris (14th March 2020), Dreamtimer (14th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (14th March 2020), Gio (14th March 2020), Wind (15th March 2020)

Thanks

Thinking

Quote Originally posted by Chris View Post
    I saw the first minute of that segment. What an atrocious, even criminal lie.

He starts off with the assertion that this virus isn't airborne, you can only get it by touching surfaces and then your face, therefore no big deal, people are worrying about nothing?

There is no way that someone like him doesn't know that this is an outrageous lie, obviously he was wheeled out on who know's whose decision (they should go to jail for criminal negligence and deliberate misleading of the public) to try to "reassure" the public.

It is clear now that the chief way this virus spreads is through airborne particles and in fact the virus can linger in the air, still contagious, for up to three hours. That is why it is so contagious and why any indoor space, particularly large spaces with central air conditioning systems are so dangerous right now. I honestly think that such criminal and gross negligence from a public figure deserves a lengthy jail sentence. People might die because of this utter moron.
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    This is correct, and very important.
    Yes by the most available and credited sources it appears to to be ...
    And it appears there are different strains of this virus about also ...
    That begs the question, where is it really safe for anyone?

Especially - for anyone elderly with diabetes, heart disease
    and respiratory problems like myself ...

But speaking of a "criminal and gross negligence from a public figure
    who might also deserves a lengthy jail sentence" ...

Everyday Life - 'How Risky Is It, Really'?

Very.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (14th March 2020), Chris (14th March 2020), Dreamtimer (14th March 2020), Emil El Zapato (14th March 2020), Wind (15th March 2020)