Page 244 of 447 FirstFirst ... 144194234241242243244245246247254294344 ... LastLast
Results 3,646 to 3,660 of 6697

Thread: The Cosmic Emporium

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Attacus Atlas Moth

"To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (28th April 2018), Aragorn (28th April 2018), Dreamtimer (29th April 2018), Elen (29th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (28th April 2018), enjoy being (28th April 2018), Kathy (28th April 2018)

Thanks
    If one has not heard of the Dunning-Kruger effect, here is a short start. Actually, the concept is simple and doesn't need a long video. Still it is a primer and general. Nuances are important.

"To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (28th April 2018), Aragorn (28th April 2018), Dreamtimer (29th April 2018), Elen (29th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (28th April 2018), enjoy being (28th April 2018), Kathy (28th April 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,685 Times in 2,094 Posts
    Is this going to become the new catch word like Narcissism.
    I have seen it appear suddenly in view in recent weeks.
    Somewhere off of this site.
    Then a random new member joined a few weeks ago, with the name Mr Dunning Kruger of which I noticed turn up in the latest member entry at the bottom of the page.
    And now you have mentioned it twice.
    I wonder where these things come from. And the response was to be picked up as a catch phrase and transmuted into mainstream brawling, like narcissism was.
    But that is the destiny of the scraps from the wisdom of the thing. (tonguetangle)
    I probably first heard James O'dea talk about the effect by calling it premature certainty.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (28th April 2018), Aragorn (28th April 2018), Dreamtimer (29th April 2018), Elen (29th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (28th April 2018), Kathy (2nd May 2018), modwiz (28th April 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Nothing View Post
    Then a random new member joined a few weeks ago, with the name Mr Dunning Kruger of which I noticed turn up in the latest member entry at the bottom of the page.
    I wonder where these things come from. And the response was to be picked up as a catch phrase and transmuted into mainstream brawling, like narcissism was.
    But that is the destiny of the scraps from the wisdom of the thing. (tonguetangle)
    I probably first heard James O'dea talk about the effect by calling it premature certainty.
    Did you watch the short video?

I agree too many memes and catch phrases out there constituting the new Woke AF thing which, for me, is an empty can pretending to be full. I heard about D-K from Butch Robbins, the banjo player two years ago so, it is not a new catch phrase for me. It is an observation that can be useful as long as it is used for self-examination and understanding of others. Without that understanding it could be easily weaponized. Like the SJW movement which is a form of weaponized compassion, IMO.

Catch phrases without depth of comprehension make up the corpus of Woke AF.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (28th April 2018), Aragorn (28th April 2018), Dreamtimer (29th April 2018), Elen (29th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (28th April 2018), enjoy being (28th April 2018), Kathy (2nd May 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    Did you watch the short video?

I agree too many memes and catch phrases out there constituting the new Woke AF thing which, for me, is an empty can pretending to be full. I heard about D-K from Butch Robbins, the banjo player two years ago so, it is not a new catch phrase for me. It is an observation that can be useful as long as it is used for self-examination and understanding of others. Without that understanding it could be easily weaponized. Like the SJW movement which is a form of weaponized compassion, IMO.

Catch phrases without depth of comprehension make up the corpus of Woke AF.
    Yeah I did, and I looked it up when I saw it a few weeks back, and I appreciate some one has given it a name, and appreciate you having placed it here for people.
    And given the way I mentioned it having popped out, and the oddness of a new member joining recently with that name,
    it was time also to just mention that which I have.
    The dynamic of premature certainty is a part of it, but not all, but is quite rife in this age of information especially.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (28th April 2018), Aragorn (28th April 2018), Dreamtimer (29th April 2018), Elen (29th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (28th April 2018), Kathy (2nd May 2018), modwiz (28th April 2018)

Thanks
    Yeah I did, and I looked it up when I saw it a few weeks back, and I appreciate some one has given it a name, and appreciate you having placed it here for people.
    And given the way I mentioned it having popped out, and the oddness of a new member joining recently with that name,
    it was time also to just mention that which I have.
    The dynamic of premature certainty is a part of it, but not all, but is quite rife in this age of information especially.
    I also noticed the member with that name and it caught my attention. I wonder if the four categories will make it into the vernacular of social media. It is painful to hear an unconscious competent person not recognize their abilities but, it is excruciating to hear an unconscious incompetent speak as an expert. YouTube would be empty without them.

I share my observations as a fellow human who has put time into what interests me. Agree, disagree or give me the middle finger. It comes with sharing

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (28th April 2018), Aragorn (28th April 2018), Dreamtimer (29th April 2018), Elen (29th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (28th April 2018), enjoy being (28th April 2018), Kathy (2nd May 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    And wow I had to look up this woke af business. There is no way for me to tell for certain if this is mainly flowing in the USA or is here in NZ too as I stay away from social media as a general rule. Things like this, are wtf to me. Like the photo on the last page with all the people using phone cameras to capture moments. I just can't even begin to understand how the neurons zip around the head for some people any more. I'm still really just a kid, thinking at times though I understand the way humans get to thinking the way they do. Yet when I see such photos, or hear of wokes and twerks, can feel a little dismayed to say the least. There's the dk in action. lol.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    And wow I had to look up this woke af business. There is no way for me to tell for certain if this is mainly flowing in the USA or is here in NZ too as I stay away from social media as a general rule. Things like this, are wtf to me. Like the photo on the last page with all the people using phone cameras to capture moments. I just can't even begin to understand how the neurons zip around the head for some people any more. I'm still really just a kid, thinking at times though I understand the way humans get to thinking the way they do. Yet when I see such photos, or hear of wokes and twerks, can feel a little dismayed to say the least. There's the dk in action. lol.
    As an alcoholic who is now 8 years sober, it took accepting it to correct it. Information like the D-K effect can serve as a way for us to understand each other and adjust ourselves or lend a hand. I recently shared with Butch how I needed to make an adjustment on how I rated myself as a musician after playing with him. I was a bit of a top dog in most situations but, he presented me with another level of competence to respond to and, I did so. D-K is a useful perception tool if honest assessment of abilities is more important than vanity.
    Last edited by modwiz, 28th April 2018 at 19:58.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 43,177 Times in 11,952 Posts
    yeah, it's been around for a long time...something I began gaining solace from quite sometime back.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (28th April 2018), Aragorn (28th April 2018), Dreamtimer (29th April 2018), Elen (29th April 2018), enjoy being (28th April 2018), Kathy (2nd May 2018), modwiz (28th April 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    As an alcoholic who is now 8 years sober, it took accepting it to correct it. Information like the D-K effect can serve as a way for us to understand each other and adjust ourselves or lend a hand. I recently shared with Butch how I needed to make an adjustment on how I rated myself as a musician after playing with him. I was a bit of a top dog in most situations but, he presented me with another level of competence to respond to and, I did so. D-K is a useful perception tool if honest assessment of abilities is more important than vanity.
    Yes, great example. Which made me wish to note, from my own familiarity with such things involving honest self assessment, striving for the best, emperors new clothes syndrome, dealing with the jealousy of others or ones own wake up calls.. stuff I have been constantly faced with..

That which came to mind is of some other analogy regards the crest of the wave. Say each wave being a group striving to better themselves. The front tows the next, but the next pushes the front. It can be a failure of both, who can tend to take turns anyway, when they each stop in the flow and recognise themselves or each other as separate.

There may be a time to wait for those to catch up? or is it that all the hands aren't linked to tow everyone through. A loss of concentration. Perhaps concentration as the opposite of dilution.
    The harmony of, you are okay, I am okay, lets ride the wave. And yes, sometimes words may need to be said, before that symbiotic riff is played. The acknowledgement of the grits stuck in the handclasp perhaps. But sometimes, it doesn't need to be said, the understanding will come, and the saying of it may become the grit.

The right move to take at any point comes from being in tune or at least keeping the beat as always I suppose.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (28th April 2018), Aragorn (28th April 2018), Dreamtimer (29th April 2018), Elen (29th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (28th April 2018), Kathy (2nd May 2018), modwiz (29th April 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    It really pisses me off when I go surfing with my mates (I don't surf this is an analogy)
    and there we are riding the ultimate wave, and one or two keep wanting to stand up and say, but dude what if we all crash on the beach? But dude I don't believe the water is real? But dude I'm cold..

Sure, if the person in front keeps kicking your face, or the person behind keeps grabbing your leg, move, or get out, but don't make me go making up more analogies to tell you what to do next!

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (28th April 2018), Aragorn (28th April 2018), Dreamtimer (29th April 2018), Elen (29th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (28th April 2018), Kathy (2nd May 2018), modwiz (29th April 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 81,103 Times in 20,306 Posts
    [...] and the oddness of a new member joining recently with that name, [...]
    I also noticed the member with that name and it caught my attention.
    As the administrator of The One Truth, I have to approve of every new member registration, and therefore, I am aware of this new member's chosen screen name.

However, he has so far not reconnected to the forum since his registration, and I therefore suspect that it was just another drive-by registration. All forums get that. People stumble upon the forum while they're surfing, then impulsively decide to join up, and then by the next day they've already long forgotten that they have.

Most of humanity seems to be afflicted with a combination of ADHD and Alzheimer's, and as frustrating as it is, this is not a new observation.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (29th April 2018), Elen (29th April 2018), Emil El Zapato (28th April 2018), enjoy being (28th April 2018), Kathy (2nd May 2018), modwiz (29th April 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    As the administrator of The One Truth, I have to approve of every new member registration, and therefore, I am aware of this new member's chosen screen name.

However, he has so far not reconnected to the forum since his registration, and I therefore suspect that it was just another drive-by registration. All forums get that. People stumble upon the forum while they're surfing, then impulsively decide to join up, and then by the next day they've already long forgotten that they have.

Most of humanity seems to be afflicted with a combination of ADHD and Alzheimer's, and as frustrating as it is, this is not a new observation.
    Yes, all noted that he was a drive by and all that. The actual name was the only point being made!

But its a shame he hasn't posted, I sense he would have been quite humorous!
    Last edited by enjoy being, 29th April 2018 at 00:00.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (29th April 2018), Dreamtimer (29th April 2018), Elen (29th April 2018), Kathy (2nd May 2018), modwiz (29th April 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (29th April 2018), Dreamtimer (29th April 2018), Elen (29th April 2018), Kathy (2nd May 2018), modwiz (29th April 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I knew a woman in college who thought she was the best singer ever. Not just in the choir. She was not. She had lots of enthusiasm and plenty of confidence and no pipes. She would go around talking about how she could sing better than Whitney Houston and others.

(she was also a pathological liar and so she was able to convince herself by deluding herself)

I noticed the "WIZ" in the first minute the video.

My favorite quote from this video is at the end: "When arguing with a fool, make sure the other person isn't doing the same thing."

Words of wisdom.

(oh, and I had to go look up the term because I didn't know what the AF stood for. )
    Last edited by Dreamtimer, 29th April 2018 at 11:59.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (29th April 2018), Elen (29th April 2018), enjoy being (29th April 2018), Kathy (2nd May 2018), modwiz (29th April 2018)