Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Still Reporting on the US Election (& Other Things)

(account terminated) United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,648 Times in 2,895 Posts

Bill Still Reporting on the US Election (& Other Things)

Bill Still is the guy who produced the great documentary on the history of banking, The Money Masters. Now he's been doing quick video updates on this year's election that I think are great sources of accurate information when it comes to major developments. I always want to share these but figured I'd keep them in a separate thread instead. A word of warning: he's unapologetically pro-Trump.

SR#1204 Campaign Clinton is Covering Up Her Parkinson’s Disease? Non-Existing Test

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCDbboP00pY

Still Report #1205 - Angry Hillary Clinton -Was it Another Parkinson’s Flare-Up Quinnipiac Poll

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqbNdJ39h5g

SR #1206 – Egypt Prefers Donald Trump’s Stand on Terror -Stronger Muslim Terrorist position

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to bsbray For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (25th September 2016), Aragorn (23rd September 2016), Cearna (25th September 2016), Dreamtimer (26th September 2016), Elen (24th September 2016), GCS1103 (25th September 2016), Gio (27th September 2016), Greenbarry (23rd September 2016), lcam88 (23rd September 2016), modwiz (23rd September 2016), The One (25th September 2016)

Thanks
    This is the daybreak poll that Still uses:

The USC Dornsife/Los Angeles Times "Daybreak" poll tracks about 3,000 eligible voters until election day, asking on a regular basis about their support for Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump or other candidates as well as their likelihood of actually casting a ballot.

We update the data each day based on the weighted average of poll responses over the previous week. That means results have less volatility than some other polls, but also means the poll lags somewhat in responding to major events in the campaign. More about the poll and why it differs from others.
    http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-n...nap-story.html

They break their data down in a number of ways that show interesting trends in who is voting for who.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to bsbray For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (25th September 2016), Aragorn (23rd September 2016), Cearna (25th September 2016), Dreamtimer (26th September 2016), Elen (24th September 2016), GCS1103 (25th September 2016), Greenbarry (23rd September 2016), lcam88 (23rd September 2016), modwiz (23rd September 2016), The One (25th September 2016)

Thanks
    I just got back from a Trump rally tonight. I'll post pictures in a bit. I wanted to bring something up though that I didn't know about until tonight: his plan for reducing college debt.

So as many of us know, college debt in the US is enormous. Tuition in Germany is free even for foreigners, and in countries like France it may be less than $1,000 a year for some of the top universities. In the US, attending university could easily cost $10,000 or $20,000 a year or more and unless a student's parents are rich, the student has to take out government-subsidized loans that he or she must then pay back over time. Students graduate and immediate enter into the situation of facing a financial-crippling amount of debt.

Bernie Sanders' plan, that he campaigned hard on and got a lot of support for, was basically just increasing taxes and using the extra tax money to spend towards debt reduction in some way. So basically increasing taxes and throwing more government money at the problem.

Trump laid out his plan for facing college debt this evening and he went after what he described as the real heart of the problem: greed on the university level. Universities are run as corporations, for profit, and receive enormous government subsidies. Instead of helping students with these subsidies, universities usually use their extra cash to build obscenely expensive new buildings (the local university recently built several new buildings at $100 million apiece), or pay the head football coach a million dollars a year, etc. Trump said that his solution would be to require that universities reduce the debt of their students in increments, to limit how much they are charging their students for tuition, and if they fail to comply he will cut off all government subsidies to these universities. He said it would then be in their own financial interest to treat their students more fairly, because if they failed to do so they lost free government support.

As a student who is facing a lot of debt when I graduate myself, I feel a lot more confident in this plan, both for benefiting myself as well as the country as a whole, than Bernie's plan of just increasing taxes and throwing more taxpayer money at the problem. Trump's plan would actually withhold and save government money if universities failed to reduce the debt of their students.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bsbray For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (25th September 2016), Aragorn (25th September 2016), Cearna (25th September 2016), Dreamtimer (26th September 2016), GCS1103 (25th September 2016), modwiz (25th September 2016), The One (25th September 2016)

Thanks
    SR #1207 –Hillary Clinton is the “Butcher of Libya” say Libyan Pols -Ambassador Chris Stevens

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxsqjibMx6I

Still Report #1208 – Bill Still Interviewed on the Financial Survival Network on 9-22

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5wdCGDKPUo

Still Report #1209 – Trump Has Turned Republicans Away From “Free Trade”

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLrxdnWmaxU

The last video is promising just for the fact that the public has been made much more sorely aware of the facts of agreements like NAFTA and TPP since Trump's campaign. Regardless of if Trump wins or loses at this point, this one of those genies that he's taken out of the bottle, that won't easily go back in. Suddenly and miraculously Americans are remembering that yes, we can place tariffs on foreign imports and give our domestic industry protection, just like many, if not most other nations on Earth.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bsbray For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (25th September 2016), Aragorn (25th September 2016), Cearna (25th September 2016), Dreamtimer (26th September 2016), Elen (25th September 2016), Greenbarry (25th September 2016), modwiz (25th September 2016), The One (25th September 2016)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Trump is bringing stuff to light that Republicans have not. It's so fascinating. He could start a whole new party, though likely he'll transform the one he's in.

I cannot stand watching debates but I will have to this time around. Hopefully it will be as interesting as hoped for and not cause my eyes to roll up into my skull.

I've never found Trump to be inspiring in any way but it would be nice to not have another near decade of half the country hating the president and saying the most awful things. It hasn't been something to be proud of.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th September 2016), Aragorn (26th September 2016), bsbray (26th September 2016), Cearna (27th September 2016), Elen (26th September 2016), modwiz (26th September 2016)

Thanks

I'm not actually shocked. Fivethirtyeight shows 51.8% Clinton and 48.2% Trump in both the 'polls only' and 'polls plus'.

The 'nowcast' has Trump ahead 54.5% to Clinton's 45.5%.

There are several very good articles on the site.
    Last edited by Dreamtimer, 26th September 2016 at 15:33.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th September 2016), Aragorn (26th September 2016), bsbray (26th September 2016), Elen (26th September 2016), modwiz (26th September 2016)

Thanks
    Getting ready for the debate tonight. We'll get to see how much life the witch has left in her or if it's all over but the crying.

Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Trump is bringing stuff to light that Republicans have not. It's so fascinating. He could start a whole new party, though likely he'll transform the one he's in.
    That's what is being said after Cruz came out in support of Trump: the "never Trump" movement within the Republican party has utterly failed and the Republican establishment has finally acknowledged that it can't go back to its old platforms after Donald Trump and act like he never happened. Trump has exposed the massive disconnection between Washington and what voters actually want. Bernie did the same thing for the Democrats, so they will be facing an existential problem after these elections too, at least if Hillary loses. If she wins she'll no doubt double-down and start purging even more decent people out of the government.

Part of the rally in Roanoke is included in this Still report, showing how Trump has refined his message:

Still Report#1213 –How Donald Trump Can Knock Out Hillary Clinton Tonight at the Presidential Debate

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odKe1QglR_U

Still Report #1214 – Hillary Clinton Campaign Gives Up on Ohio - Donald Trump Dominates Polls

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwG6ZJE-uvE

Ohio is a swing state that has voted for the victor in every presidential election since 1960, and before that in 1944 and 1892. Other than those exceptions, whoever Ohio votes for has typically became the next president.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bsbray For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th September 2016), Aragorn (26th September 2016), Cearna (27th September 2016), Dreamtimer (26th September 2016), Elen (27th September 2016), modwiz (26th September 2016)

Thanks
    So both underdogs have played a role in transforming their party. I wonder if the two party lock-step will finally end. After this election, both parties could fragment.

We really don't need this monolith with two faces anymore.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th September 2016), Aragorn (26th September 2016), bsbray (26th September 2016), Cearna (27th September 2016), Elen (27th September 2016), modwiz (26th September 2016)

Thanks
    I watched the debates tonight as thought it was actually relatively uneventful compared to some of the things we saw during the Republican primaries. I had a feeling it might play out somewhat subdued at first just because there are two more debates to go and November 8th is the target. Hillary sounded more rehearsed and therefore also more artificial while Trump was being the usual Trump, being spontaneous but also being clear about his policy proposals.

I've seen two MSM website polls so far, one of them showing 51% of respondents feeling that Trump won the debate and the other showing 60% of respondents felt Trump did the better job (out of ~750,000 votes). But looking over the headlines pouring out of MSM after the debate, they're nothing but "Clinton gets under Trump's skin," "Clinton puts Trump on defense," and "Markets call Hillary Clinton as winner for first debate." So despite whatever opinion polls might show, those can always be manipulated later. The MSM is going full steam ahead with its pro-Hillary propaganda.

Still Report #1216 - One Deplorable's Response

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bsbray For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th September 2016), Aragorn (27th September 2016), Cearna (27th September 2016), Dreamtimer (27th September 2016), Elen (27th September 2016), Wind (27th September 2016)

Thanks
    Interesting. I didn't think it was very close and I thought Hillary did much better than Donald. Clinton did far and away better than I thought she would. And Trump was disappointing. I thought he'd stay on point more and not sound so much like Palin.

I took a look at some well known progressive sites and the amount of people who think the MSM is against Hillary is pretty stunning. They criticize the major outlets as being biased, and not towards Hillary. And they have a lot of examples to point at.

It's amazing how different perspectives can color things.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (27th September 2016), Aragorn (27th September 2016), bsbray (27th September 2016), Cearna (27th September 2016), Elen (27th September 2016), modwiz (27th September 2016)

Thanks
    What connection are you drawing between Trump and Palin, exactly?

A lot of the people supporting Hillary I think are the types who take offense even at a stern tone of voice. Plus they're not used to fair coverage. I really think a lot of them expect to have their views catered to just as they have at least since Clinton's era. None of the headlines I was seeing come up in Google news were positive for Trump. I also didn't see Holt argue with Clinton about anything during the debate like he did with Trump.

Bill Still has his first video up since the debate ended:

Still Report #1217 – Post Debate #1 With Beth, Molly and Bill

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bsbray For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th September 2016), Cearna (27th September 2016), Dreamtimer (27th September 2016), Elen (27th September 2016), modwiz (27th September 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by bsbray View Post
    What connection are you drawing between Trump and Palin, exactly?

A lot of the people supporting Hillary I think are the types who take offense even at a stern tone of voice. Plus they're not used to fair coverage. I really think a lot of them expect to have their views catered to just as they have at least since Clinton's era. None of the headlines I was seeing come up in Google news were positive for Trump. I also didn't see Holt argue with Clinton about anything during the debate like he did with Trump.

Bill Still has his first video up since the debate ended:

Still Report #1217 – Post Debate #1 With Beth, Molly and Bill

This was the best post debate review I have seen. In fact, not many reviews out there in the news world I cruise through. Thanks for this.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th September 2016), bsbray (27th September 2016), Cearna (27th September 2016), Dreamtimer (27th September 2016), Elen (27th September 2016)

Thanks
    Still's asking why Trump wouldn't bring up the obvious retorts and controversies that Hillary has never been pressed on this summer. I get the feeling like Trump doesn't go there on purpose too, and I'm not sure what that purpose is. But there are two more debates to go so maybe he's saving the fireworks for last. We'll see I guess.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bsbray For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th September 2016), Cearna (27th September 2016), Dreamtimer (27th September 2016), Elen (27th September 2016), modwiz (27th September 2016), PurpleLama (27th September 2016), Wind (27th September 2016)

Thanks
    It was the meaningless word salads that reminded me of Palin. There were many.

I won't be judging the debates based on Holt or the MSM. In fact, I turned the TV off as soon as they shook hands at the end. Trump interrupted a lot and went over his time often. Clinton kept her cool. She also looked strong and presidential. And she sounded intelligent.

There were some people - not pundits - who were speculating that Trump would bow out of the next debates after his terrible performance. I don't believe it for a second. He'll be there. And he'll probably prepare more.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th September 2016), bsbray (27th September 2016), Elen (27th September 2016), modwiz (27th September 2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    It was the meaningless word salads that reminded me of Palin. There were many
    Maybe you can give some specific examples and we can see how we're interpreting these differently, because I'm not hearing a lot of that. I do hear Trump using a lot of NLP-type techniques, but both of them do that. But like I said, we must be hearing things being said differently, and maybe you can find a good example of one of these "meaningless word salads" so we can see how we are looking at these differently.

Clinton kept her cool. She also looked strong and presidential. And she sounded intelligent.
    I'm not sure what it means to "sound" intelligent. Is it the tone of voice? The confident smirking she kept doing? Or do you mean you think that the actual ideas and policies that she's suggesting are intelligent?

I can't stand the MSM commentaries either. I was going to watch the debates from Alex Jones' channel but then he was even worse and wouldn't shut up when they were talking so I had to watch the NBC stream. The Young Turks were the worst of all with their coverage of the RNC so I didn't even try them.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bsbray For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (27th September 2016), modwiz (27th September 2016)