Thread: SETI has observed a "strong" signal that may originate from a Sun-like star

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts

Lightbulb SETI has observed a "strong" signal that may originate from a Sun-like star

Another "WOW!" signal?

Source: Ars Technica

"It remains only the barest of probabilities that astronomers have just found evidence of extraterrestrial, intelligent life. Nevertheless, in the community of astronomers and other scientists who use radio telescopes to search the heavens for beacons of life there is considerable excitement about a new signal observed by a facility in Russia.

According to Paul Gilster, author of the Centauri Dreams website, the Italian astronomer Claudio Maccone and other astronomers affiliated with the search for extraterrestrial intelligence have detected "a strong signal in the direction of HD164595." HD 164595 is a star of 0.99 solar masses about 95 light years from Earth, with an estimated age of 6.3 billion years. The system is known to have at least one planet, HD 164595 b, which is similar in size to Neptune and orbits its star in 40 days. Other planets may exist in the system as well.

The observation was made with the RATAN-600 radio telescope in Zelenchukskaya, in southern Russia, Gilster reports. He cautioned that the evidence is very preliminary:

"No one is claiming that this is the work of an extraterrestrial civilization, but it is certainly worth further study. Working out the strength of the signal, the researchers say that if it came from an isotropic beacon, it would be of a power possible only for a Kardashev Type II civilization. If it were a narrow beam signal focused on our Solar System, it would be of a power available to a Kardashev Type I civilization. The possibility of noise of one form or another cannot be ruled out, and researchers in Paris led by Jean Schneider are considering the possible microlensing of a background source by HD164595. But the signal is provocative enough that the RATAN-600 researchers are calling for permanent monitoring of this target."

More information may be forthcoming soon. According to Gilster, the discovery and work to understand its origin will be discussed at a SETI committee meeting during the 67th International Astronautical Congress in Guadalajara, Mexico, on Tuesday, September 27.

Ars contacted Nick Suntzeff, a Texas A&M University astronomer, for insight into what this signal at 11Ghz might be if it were not of alien origin. "If this were a real astronomical source, it would be rather strange," Suntzeff told Ars. Although there are mysterious, high-energy astrophysical phenomenon called “fast radio bursts” that are seen at a few gigahertz, they last only 10 milliseconds or so (this event lasted longer). Unfortunately, he said, there is no information given about the strength of the signal as a function of frequency.

Suntzeff added that he would not be surprised if the signal was due to a terrestrial origin, because it was observed in part of the radio spectrum used by the military. "God knows who or what broadcasts at 11Ghz, and it would not be out of the question that some sort of bursting communication is done between ground stations and satellites," he said. "I would follow it if I were the astronomers, but I would also not hype the fact that it may be a SETI signal given the significant chance it could be something military."
    "

= DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

bsbray (30th August 2016), Cearna (31st August 2016), Chester (30th August 2016), Dreamtimer (1st September 2016), Elen (30th August 2016), Innocent Warrior (31st August 2016), jonsnow (30th August 2016), Juniper (30th August 2016), modwiz (30th August 2016), Wind (1st September 2016), Woody (30th August 2016), yobear (30th August 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,701 Times in 325 Posts
    the distance is so vast that they are looking for wrong thing . Alien transit by two main methods light a form of laser which travels very fast and harmonic grid points ( Bruce cathie )

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jonsnow For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th August 2016), bsbray (30th August 2016), Cearna (31st August 2016), Dreamtimer (1st September 2016), Elen (31st August 2016), Juniper (30th August 2016), modwiz (30th August 2016), RealityCreation (31st August 2016)

(account terminated) United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,648 Times in 2,895 Posts
    I would be interpreting this article as less about ETs and more about politics and power structures here on Earth.

Admitting a super-advanced ET race is, like Steven Greer says (whether you love him or hate him), setting the stage and the cover story to begin releasing paradigm-changing technologies that could run Big Oil nearly out of business, would shatter religious beliefs (think of the psychological effect on ISIS members, though I know many Muslims believe that ETs are just demons, like many Christians also believe) and have many other ramifications as well. This would be a political move because the energy industry in general is a massive lobby in world events and I think the single biggest sector of the global economy. These are the kinds of shake-ups I'd sooner expect out of something like this, if it's pushed farther. But it would be over a relatively long period of time and changes brought out piece by piece rather than some huge all-at-once "disclosure" event, which I don't think is likely.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bsbray For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th August 2016), Cearna (31st August 2016), Dreamtimer (1st September 2016), Elen (31st August 2016), jonsnow (30th August 2016), Juniper (30th August 2016), modwiz (30th August 2016), RealityCreation (31st August 2016), Wind (1st September 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    You have to think about the kinds of off world civilizations that would be attracted to a world like ours. My guess is it would not be the good guys. We have a cluster of off-worlders already of various types and agendas. Funding SETI is just for giggles and salaries.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th August 2016), bsbray (1st September 2016), Cearna (31st August 2016), Dreamtimer (1st September 2016), Elen (31st August 2016), jonsnow (30th August 2016), Juniper (30th August 2016), RealityCreation (31st August 2016)

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,605 Times in 252 Posts
    I saw the article yesterday and found it interesting that one of our major mainstream news companies published it. There has been a lot of "drip - drip" disclosure happening recently.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-3...n-life/7796776

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RealityCreation For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (31st August 2016), bsbray (1st September 2016), Cearna (31st August 2016), Dreamtimer (1st September 2016), Elen (31st August 2016), modwiz (31st August 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts

Thumbs Down

Bleh, turns out it was false alarm. The signal came from Earth.

"Ars was among the first news outlets to report on discussions among astronomers about observations of an intriguing "signal" that may have originated from a distant, Sun-like star. We cautioned readers that, because the signal was measured at 11Ghz, there was a "significant chance" it was of terrestrial origin, likely due to some military activity.

Well, it apparently was. First, astronomers with the search for extraterrestrial intelligence downplayed the possibility of an alien civilization. "There are many other plausible explanations for this claimed transmission, including terrestrial interference," Seth Shostak, a senior astronomer with SETI, wrote.

Now the Special Astrophysical Observatory of the Russian Academy of Sciences has concurred, releasing a statement on the detection of a radio signal at the RATAN-600 radio astronomy observatory in southern Russia. "Subsequent processing and analysis of the signal revealed its most probable terrestrial origin," the Russian scientists said. (Maybe it was really Steve Martin and his hair dryer?)

For now, let's not tell the good people at Good Morning America, who were still furiously tweeting this morning about the possibility of finding an alien civilization.
    "

I do however see a pattern here... First they warm up the people with this supposedly fantastic news, and then the next day they blow it off as being something else, and then gleefully write about it in a mocking way. And this is happening over and over and over again.

To me, it seems almost intentional. As if they're trying to say "Look, there really is no alien life and everything we detect in that regard is always something else, so don't get your hopes up high." For that matter, mainstream science itself also bluntly states that aliens are always to be considered as the last explanation whenever an inexplicable cosmic phenomenon is detected. "We have no idea whatsoever what it is, but it won't be aliens."

So for me, that then begs the question: "And why the hell not?" Because they like to liberally abuse Occam's razor, perhaps?

= DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

bsbray (1st September 2016), Cearna (1st September 2016), Dreamtimer (1st September 2016), Elen (1st September 2016), modwiz (31st August 2016), RealityCreation (31st August 2016), Wind (1st September 2016)