Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 132021222324252633 ... LastLast

Thread: Pissed and Annoyed

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,685 Times in 2,094 Posts
    Last edited by enjoy being, 9th June 2018 at 02:07.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (17th May 2018), Aragorn (17th May 2018), Dreamtimer (17th May 2018), Elen (17th May 2018), Emil El Zapato (26th May 2018), modwiz (17th May 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    I'm not sure how much difference petitions make, but Avaaz is still trying.

https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en...1efc6c7cc63e2d

For all I care, the US and Israeli governments can go to hell with their bs policies.

I cursed more only in my own mind. There now, I feel much better after venting out.

Why don't presidents fight the war?
    Why do they always send the poor?

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (17th May 2018), Aragorn (17th May 2018), Dreamtimer (17th May 2018), Elen (17th May 2018), Emil El Zapato (26th May 2018), enjoy being (17th May 2018), Kathy (18th July 2018), modwiz (17th May 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by enjoy being View Post
    Wow, just experienced a toxic self entitled woman up at the shops who was blocking access to a carparking area while she waited for the closest park for her needs, meaning I was sitting on the road on a blind corner.. So I gently tooted. She didn't move and was in her car turned around mouthing off something I couldn't hear. I had my hazard lights on it was that precarious.

When she finally moved I gave her a bigger toot as I went past

She then followed me into the shops with her children in tow and proceeded to tell me not to argue with her in front of her children while I was basically laughing at her, and then she claimed she had called the police and then tried to accuse me of being on drugs! What an f'n psycho!
    You do indeed get people like that. Not only are they feeling self-entitled, but they're also always the first to tell others how to go about their business. In my opinion, people like that are emotionally immature and narcissistic.

Although unrelated to your story here-above in terms of the facts, it does remind me of an anecdote I heard from a young woman — let's call her Muriel — somewhere in the late 1990s. I thought it was very funny, and it stuck with me.

So one day, Muriel was at the supermarket, and before her at the cash register was another woman with a young boy. As the woman was unloading her shopping trolley onto the cashier's conveyer belt, her little boy repeatedly and deliberately bumped the metal shopping trolley into Muriel's legs, which was of course very painful.

Muriel didn't know very well what to do. The woman didn't seem to be paying attention to the boy, even though she must have noticed what was going on, and all the while the boy just kept on hitting Muriel's legs with the shopping trolley, thereby looking Muriel straight into her face with an evil grin.

Eventually Muriel addressed the woman and said "Excuse me, but could you teach your son some better manners? He is hurting me." The woman turned to Muriel and replied with a smile: "I'm sorry, but my husband and I believe in permissive parenting." And all the while, the boy just continued doing what he was doing, hurting Muriel some more while looking her straight in the face.

At that point, Muriel took a jar of jam out of her own set of groceries, unscrewed the lid and poured out the contents over the boy's head. The woman reacted in outrage: "What the hell do you think you're doing?!" To which Muriel replied, "I, Madam, am the product of permissive parenting."
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (3rd June 2018), Dreamtimer (26th May 2018), Elen (26th May 2018), Emil El Zapato (26th May 2018), enjoy being (26th May 2018), Kathy (4th June 2018), Wind (26th May 2018)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts

Fried Green Tomatoes clip

Both of you enjoy being and Aragorn reminded me of this movie "Fried Green Tomatoes" which is one of my all time favorite movies. This is a clip that reminded me...

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (3rd June 2018), Aragorn (26th May 2018), Dreamtimer (26th May 2018), Emil El Zapato (26th May 2018), enjoy being (26th May 2018), Kathy (4th June 2018)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    Smile at the camera kids, mummy's going to be on youtube!

Thanks you two it cheered me up a bit. Aragorn, I've actually had two children on separate occasions, a good 12 years ago, in department stores, walk up behind me and kick or punch me. Not much you can really do. I must look like an easy target. The second one was a girl and she then ran over to tell her mum proudly, who was fishing around under the cheap dvd table, she didn't even stop what she was doing and look, just told her not do it and to stay near her. I was standing there, but decided I couldn't be bothered with it all, recognising the chance I would just get abused.
    I was hoping to cheer you up...I know how difficult it is to experience situations like that, I hate it too. Absolute thoughtlessness by certain people. Just remember that you are not alone in this, hey?

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (3rd June 2018), Aragorn (26th May 2018), Dreamtimer (26th May 2018), Emil El Zapato (26th May 2018), enjoy being (26th May 2018), Kathy (4th June 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Sometimes parents actually teach their kids to be jerks. I had a friend who asked a teenager to drive more slowly down his street. They had a nice exchange at first and the kid slowed down for about a week or two. Then he started bombing down the street again. My friend asked him what was up. The kid replied by saying that his mother said to tell my friend to go eff himself.

I had another friend who's son wrecked a car and was restricted from going to a party that weekend. Other parents were calling her up to tell her not to punish her son and let him go to the party.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (3rd June 2018), Aragorn (26th May 2018), Elen (26th May 2018), Emil El Zapato (26th May 2018), enjoy being (26th May 2018), Kathy (4th June 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Sometimes parents actually teach their kids to be jerks. I had a friend who asked a teenager to drive more slowly down his street. They had a nice exchange at first and the kid slowed down for about a week or two. Then he started bombing down the street again. My friend asked him what was up. The kid replied by saying that his mother said to tell my friend to go eff himself.

[...]
    The influence of parenting on kids and the adults they will eventually become is certainly not to be underestimated. I've already alluded to my own very strained relationship with my parents elsewhere, but your recount here-above reminds me of a kid from the village where I grew up. I think I've told his story here on the forum once before, but I don't remember on what thread it was. It may even have been in the mod room.

So anyway, I met this kid — let's call him Chris — in preschool. His father had always been a troublemaker — getting drunk, getting into fights, et al. And then he — i.e. Chris' father — had an accident with his motorbike, from which he contracted brain damage. He could no longer speak, except for repeatedly uttering the same funny sounds, but he still continued drinking, and I think he regularly beat up his children.

Chris' mother was quite plainly put — and please pardon my language but I can't think of any other word — a whore. She was at the very least hypersexual, and from what I could make up from what a woman who briefly dated Chris in the 1990s told me, even though she didn't mention it explicitly, Chris' mother may even have had an incestuous relationship with Chris' younger brother, Nick.

Anyway, Chris himself was considered the bane of the teachers, even in preschool. He was incredibly aggressive and he was always beating up other kids. Yet, he did have his moments of calm, and then you could actually reason with him. But those moments were always very short. He would become aggressive over the least thing, and then he would rely on his strength and his aggression to get the upper hand, so most kids were afraid of him, unless they were troublemakers too.

Almost all kids my age feared Chris. So did I at the time, as I had been on the receiving end of his aggression all too many times. I distinctly remember that I once tried running away from him — I guess I was about 7 or 8 at the time — and that he even chased me onto the backyard of our own house and then continued to beat me up there. Normally, that was simply not done. Whatever kids were fighting over, one's own home was sacred and you just didn't fight there — just like holy ground in the Highlander saga.

On another occasion, on a warm summer's day, my brother, myself and a couple of other kids of various ages were playing on the soccer field behind my grandmother's house — the soccer field was freely accessible to everyone on weekdays and so we often played there. Somehow Chris was there too — it was quite a distance away from the part of the village where he lived, but he did wander around a lot — and he was in one of his aggressive moods again.

At some point, he started beating up my brother, who had barely outgrown his toddler years at that point in time. I defended my brother, and then one of the adults who lived down the street saw it all happen and went to my grandmother's house to tell my mom, and then my mom came running onto the soccer field and started beating up Chris with her shoe. Instant karma. As soon as she let go, he ran away crying.

Still, Chris would remain an aggressive kid altogether. However, as I found out later during yet another violent encounter with him — at school, this time — I was actually stronger than him. I was taller too. But it didn't stop him from cutting me in the upper lip with the blade from a pencil sharpener, and after that school year — third grade — my parents decided to send me to another school, supposedly with that incident as the reason. In hindsight, they had other reasons too, and I was not the only kid from my village to be sent to that other school. After all, the village school was only an elementary school, and so it was either way an educational dead end.

Anyway, that was all in the late 1960s and early 1970s. It then took until the early-to-mid 1980s before I saw Chris again, and at that time, he had already gotten involved in crime. Petty crime initially, but later on he became involved in a number of holdups. His two companions were arrested, but Chris and his girlfriend escaped to Spain, and Spain does not extradite to Belgium — or at least, it didn't at the time.

Chris stayed in Spain for quite a number of years, and it wasn't until the late 1990s that I saw him again, but by that time, he didn't even recognize me anymore — granted, my appearance had changed quite a lot — and I didn't care to tell him who I was. In fact, I didn't even talk to him. But he was dating Nadine, the woman of whom I spoke higher up as being the one who hinted at an incestuous relationship between Chris' mother and his younger brother.

Nadine is one year younger than I am, and she originally hails from the same village as where I grew up. She was working as a waitress at the time at a café-restaurant that I was hanging out at on a daily basis in those days. Nadine told me that after Chris' stay in Spain, he had joined the French Foreign Legion and had fought in the first Gulf War. And so now Chris was back in Belgium, and he seemed to be trying hard at getting his life back together while staying on the right side of the law.

I don't know what happened between Nadine and Chris — Nadine was a bit capricious at the time and she was going back and forth between various relationships — but her relationship with Chris was apparently short-lived, and they went their separate ways. I never saw Chris again after that, but in 2003, while I was playing in one of the jam sessions, one of the other musicians told me that Chris had just been — and I quote — "blown to smithereens with a shotgun in France."

I couldn't (and still can't) help but feel sorry for Chris. Even though he had been a pest during my childhood — and likewise for many other children from the same village — I reckon that his own experiences with his parents as a young boy must have been horrible for him, and that, any genetic predisposition toward violence not included, this will undoubtedly have played a major role in how Chris was behaving toward other kids when he was young, as well as in the choices he would make later in his life, and which eventually led him into a life of crime.

In hindsight, he was not a psychopath. He definitely had feelings. But he also had an anger management problem, and undoubtedly, he must at least partly have been channeling the abuse he himself had had to endure from his parents. And so it is painfully ironic that, now that he seemed to have finally gotten his act together — and whatever the circumstances were — his life had had to come to such a brutal end. He was barely 40 years old.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (3rd June 2018), Dreamtimer (3rd June 2018), Elen (26th May 2018), Emil El Zapato (26th May 2018), enjoy being (26th May 2018), Kathy (4th June 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    You do indeed get people like that. Not only are they feeling self-entitled, but they're also always the first to tell others how to go about their business. In my opinion, people like that are emotionally immature and narcissistic.

Although unrelated to your story here-above in terms of the facts, it does remind me of an anecdote I heard from a young woman — let's call her Muriel — somewhere in the late 1990s. I thought it was very funny, and it stuck with me.

So one day, Muriel was at the supermarket, and before her at the cash register was another woman with a young boy. As the woman was unloading her shopping trolley onto the cashier's conveyer belt, her little boy repeatedly and deliberately bumped the metal shopping trolley into Muriel's legs, which was of course very painful.

Muriel didn't know very well what to do. The woman didn't seem to be paying attention to the boy, even though she must have noticed what was going on, and all the while the boy just kept on hitting Muriel's legs with the shopping trolley, thereby looking Muriel straight into her face with an evil grin.

Eventually Muriel addressed the woman and said "Excuse me, but could you teach your son some better manners? He is hurting me." The woman turned to Muriel and replied with a smile: "I'm sorry, but my husband and I believe in permissive parenting." And all the while, the boy just continued doing what he was doing, hurting Muriel some more while looking her straight in the face.

At that point, Muriel took a jar of jam out of her own set of groceries, unscrewed the lid and poured out the contents over the boy's head. The woman reacted in outrage: "What the hell do you think you're doing?!" To which Muriel replied, "I, Madam, am the product of permissive parenting."
    'permissive parenting' Jesus H. Christ...how ignorant can someone be. I was at a zoo with my daughter...she was about 3-4 probably...there was a kid that was dominating one of the exhibits and actively aggressive towards my daughter...I subtly prompted my daughter to hold her ground as I was looking at the kid's parents with a 'pleading' look to intervene their child... Nothing...(they were ethnically from a culture that places emphasis on male domination). My daughter eventually got her turn, but honestly, I wanted to slap the little shit around and then go after both the parents. I simply don't understand that kind of rudeness...Homey, don't play that.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (3rd June 2018), Aragorn (27th May 2018), Dreamtimer (26th May 2018), Elen (26th May 2018), Kathy (4th June 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (6th June 2018), Aragorn (6th June 2018), Dreamtimer (6th June 2018), Elen (6th June 2018)

Thanks
    Nowadays you could go for a 'cover all'.

I've actually been thinking of making a family BS bingo sheet to 'play' when I go out west.

I don't think it would really go over well. My family has the ego disease and often put their pride before understanding and common sense.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (6th June 2018), Aragorn (6th June 2018), Elen (6th June 2018), enjoy being (6th June 2018), Kathy (18th July 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (6th June 2018), Aragorn (6th June 2018), Dreamtimer (6th June 2018), Elen (6th June 2018)

Thanks
    Some asshole just tried to break into my apartment while I was sitting here at my computer.

It is not uncommon for me to hear something brushing against my front door when people are using the staircase, or when the elderly lady next door steps out of the elevator with her groceries, but this was different. There was someone trying to pick the lock. But when I am at home, then I always have the door firmly locked — i.e. the key turned two full turns, which makes it harder to unlock — and then I also always leave my key in the lock.

The guy must have been a pro, because a pro knows when you've put the key in the lock. And so he immediately bailed out before I could even unlock my door and check. In fact, I heard him leaving the hall downstairs as the pump-actuated hall door closed itself behind him. I haven't called the cops, because there doesn't appear to be any damage to my lock, and I haven't actually seen the guy, so I don't even know what he looks like.

Suffice to say that it's probably a burglary gang again. They observe the building for a while — the coming and going — and then they make their move. It isn't the first time they break into apartments in this building — they broke into the apartment of the elderly lady next door last year or so — and it's particularly easy to get past the locked door in the hall, because the downstairs apartment — which was never even supposed to have been there, according to the original building plans — is a physiotherapy, and if you ring the therapists' intercom, they will push the button to unlock the hall door without checking who's there. And in spite of this building having a history of break-ins and several requests to have them at least check who's ringing their intercom, they don't even care.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (6th June 2018), Dreamtimer (6th June 2018), Elen (6th June 2018), enjoy being (6th June 2018), Kathy (18th July 2018), Wind (6th June 2018)

Thanks
    Electrify the door knob. Diabolical. I like it.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (6th June 2018), Aragorn (6th June 2018), Elen (6th June 2018), enjoy being (6th June 2018), Kathy (18th July 2018)

Thanks
    Maybe some signs to say cameras are installed. Maybe get a security install company to come over with their sign written van and give you a free quote.. hoping that the van is noted parked outside.
    Not a bad idea, but it's not a large building — four floors, if you include the ground floor, and the top two floors are actually duplex apartments, with two apartments per floor, and there's only the physiotherapy and two garages at the ground floor — and so it would be obvious if there is a camera warning without that there are actually any cameras installed.

And having cameras installed is going to be a very expensive affair, the cost of which would have to be shared among only seven owners — provided that the physiotherapists share in the expense — while the building management costs are already sky high as it is.

Some really big sized shoes left outside the door if one has a door step/alcove probably not for an apartment though.
    Hmm.. electrify the door knob while they are messing with it.
    The door knob isn't connected to the lock in any way. It sits at the center of the door and it's purely ornamental — it's not even comfortable for closing the door with it. The real "handle" for opening and closing the door from the outside is your key itself.

In addition to that, like I said, it's not uncommon for someone to be brushing your door when they are using the staircase, or in the event of the elderly lady next door, when she steps out of the elevator. The elevator door is right next to my apartment door. So electrifying anything wouldn't exactly be the best of ideas.

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (6th June 2018), Dreamtimer (6th June 2018), Elen (6th June 2018), enjoy being (6th June 2018), Kathy (18th July 2018), Wind (6th June 2018)

Thanks
    Darn! Can the residents get together and complain/make requests en masse? Can building management help?

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post: