Thread: Pluto’s : ‘Gate To Hell’ Discovered In Ancient City Of Hierapolis

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,928 Times in 1,027 Posts

Pluto’s : ‘Gate To Hell’ Discovered In Ancient City Of Hierapolis

Archeologists examining the ruins of ancient Phrygian city of Hierapolis found what they
    believe the ancient Greeks thought to be the entry to the underworld.

Hell is a hard place to describe in detail, since, after all, going there would require dying first. But in an effort to find out what the ancient version of the underworld looked like, archaeologists may have unearthed the gateway to Hades.

Hell is a hard place to describe in detail, since, after all, going there would require dying first. But in an effort to find out what the ancient version of the underworld looked like, archaeologists may have unearthed the gateway to Hades.

According to the Italian news agency ANSA, a team of archeologists working in the ancient Phrygian city of Hierapolis in southwestern Turkey claims to have located the Plutonium, or Pluto’s Gate — an ancient pilgrim site considered the entryway to the underworld. A small cave near the temple of Apollo, the Plutonium grew in association with death from deadly gases it emitted.

Francesco D’Andria of the University of Salento announced the discovery during a press conference in Turkey in mid-March, according to La Gazzetta Del Mezzogiorno.

D’Andria told Discovery News he also found remains of the temple, a pool used by pilgrims and a series of steps.

“We could see the cave’s lethal properties during the excavation. Several birds died as they tried to get close to the warm opening, instantly killed by the carbon dioxide fumes,” D’Andria added, according to Discovery News.

Austin Considine explains for VICE that the cave is a natural phenomenon, and that similar “openings in the earth’s crust” can be found elsewhere:

Such noxious portals are found around the globe. Undoubtedly the coolest, a modern day hell gate in Turkmenistan has been burning for over 40 years (the geologists who accidentally created it decided to light it on fire to protect locals from the gases, and it’s been burning ever since).

Famous authors such as Roman statesman Cicero and the Greek geographer Strabus wrote about the Plutonium during their respective eras. Alister Filippini, a researcher in Roman history at the Universities of Palermo, called the find at Hierapolis exceptional to Discovery News, saying “it confirms and clarifies the information we have from the ancient literary and historic sources.”

Hierapolis, near the modern Turkish city of Pamukkale, has been labeled a UNESCO World Heritage Site and sees more than 1.5 million visitors each year. Francesco D’Andria has been excavating in the area for years, and in 2011, he claimed to have located the tomb of Saint Philip, one of Jesus’ apostles.

Source: http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2994297.html

peace...

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to skywizard For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (30th June 2016), Aragorn (30th June 2016), bsbray (1st July 2016), Dreamtimer (1st July 2016), Elen (30th June 2016), Frances (30th June 2016), modwiz (30th June 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,244 Times in 922 Posts
    I have an idea of Hell that is closely analogous to the Christian faith.

Hierapolis was a place that had been established in the first half of the 3rd century BC as there where natural mineral hot baths to be had. According to the wikiwanks doc I link above, at about 133 AD the kingdom was bestowed to Rome as part of their "empire" when Attalus III died, and soon afterwards, it seems that Christianity took an early interest there as St Paul established a church there even before the age of Christianity (400AD).

I think the subtitle to the image claiming that "ancient Greeks thought" is misleading. The city was a wonderful place to go and get a hot mineral bath that some believed to cure ailments. Not the gateway to the underworld or hell, such a thing most certainly is something Christians would say so that people would stay out of their bath water.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lcam88 For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th June 2016), bsbray (1st July 2016), Dreamtimer (1st July 2016), Elen (30th June 2016), modwiz (30th June 2016)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by lcam88 View Post

Hierapolis was a place that had been established in the first half of the 3rd century BC as there where natural mineral hot baths to be had. According to the wikiwanks doc I link above, at about 133 AD the kingdom was bestowed to Rome as part of their "empire" when Attalus III died, and soon afterwards, it seems that Christianity took an early interest there as St Paul established a church there even before the age of Christianity (400AD).

I think the subtitle to the image claiming that "ancient Greeks thought" is misleading. The city was a wonderful place to go and get a hot mineral bath that some believed to cure ailments. Not the gateway to the underworld or hell, such a thing most certainly is something Christians would say so that people would stay out of their bath water.
    At the moment, I just want to say, please lcam88, just go on making posts for us all. We are trying to make the 100k posts here before Malc is coming back. It's not a joke...

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th June 2016), bsbray (1st July 2016), Dreamtimer (1st July 2016), modwiz (30th June 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the words Elen.

Certainly my response to the OP doesn't elaborate "shifts" the official line of history has had as well as those videos you shared.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lcam88 For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (30th June 2016), Aragorn (30th June 2016), bsbray (1st July 2016), Dreamtimer (1st July 2016), Elen (1st July 2016), modwiz (30th June 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts

Quackademia writes attention grabbing headlines and speak to the poorly informed looking to feel educated while really being entertained.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th June 2016), bsbray (1st July 2016), Dreamtimer (1st July 2016), Elen (1st July 2016), lcam88 (30th June 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    No doubt.

I don't know much about ancient Greece, but certainly Hell is something more Christian than Greek; Wikiwanks published a few dates in reference to the history there. I just don't think it fits as well saying "ancient Greeks" as well as it could saying "Early Christians".

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lcam88 For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th June 2016), bsbray (1st July 2016), Dreamtimer (1st July 2016), Elen (1st July 2016), modwiz (30th June 2016)

Thanks
    No doubt.

I don't know much about ancient Greece, but certainly Hell is something more Christian than Greek; Wikiwanks published a few dates in reference to the history there. I just don't think it fits as well saying "ancient Greeks" as well as it could saying "Early Christians".
    Rome are the official Christians and early Greek Christians are apostates and became the Eastern Othordox church by their reckoning.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th June 2016), bsbray (1st July 2016), Dreamtimer (1st July 2016), Elen (1st July 2016), lcam88 (30th June 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    My dig is that happened after pre-christian groups already settled in the area, they may have already developed the notion of Hell, but 200 years before the officialization of the religion does not make them ancient greeks. At that time, they could only be hopeful that their beliefs would one day be more widespread. I stand by the characterization as being misleading.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lcam88 For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th June 2016), bsbray (1st July 2016), Elen (1st July 2016), modwiz (30th June 2016)

Thanks
    My dig is that happened after pre-christian groups already settled in the area, they may have already developed the notion of Hell, but 200 years before the officialization of the religion does not make them ancient greeks. At that time, they could only be hopeful that their beliefs would one day be more widespread. I stand by the characterization as being misleading.

I believe it is highly misleading but, I expect no less from archeologists from quackademia. I look at their photos.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Retired Member
    Thanks
    YES!

And all I did was open wikiwanks to see how the dates line up, they don't.

I'm sorry to hear you have such a pessimistic view about archeologies and quackademia. I thought I was the only pessimist; It appears as though everything mainstream has got more holes than swiss cheese! And then, when looking at the non-mainstream... <facepalm/>

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lcam88 For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th June 2016), bsbray (1st July 2016), Dreamtimer (1st July 2016), Elen (1st July 2016), modwiz (1st July 2016)

(account terminated) United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,648 Times in 2,895 Posts
    So this is a site in western Turkey (which the Greeks did formerly inhabit) which according to conventional (Scaligerian) chronology was founded in the 200's BC and was inhabited up until the 1300's AD Scaligerian.

Theodosius supposedly made an early form of Christianity the official religion of the Roman Empire (including Greece) with the Edict of Thessalonica in 380 AD Scaligerian, and Rome was then conquered by the Germans about a hundred years later in 476 AD Scaligerian. I tend to be skeptical of all of this ancient history because it appears to all be duplications of medieval events as per Fomenko.

But the concept of hell is not Jewish and comes to Christianity from pagan religions. Pre-Christian religions in Europe and elsewhere believed in an underworld, though it was not necessarily evil. The images of hot or firey underworld regions seems to at least be inspired by pagan beliefs. In North America there were natives who believed that the Grand Canyon was an entrance to the underworld. A lot of things were incorporated into Christianity from pagan religions.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bsbray For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (1st July 2016), Dreamtimer (1st July 2016), Elen (2nd July 2016), modwiz (1st July 2016), skywizard (2nd July 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,320 Times in 939 Posts
    Look at all the Sacred Geometry on the dome of the main external building - beautiful and with a mighty purpose I bet. I wonder how many columns there are - the number of the supporting columns for the dome would have a lot of signifigance. The squared pool of water - that would be very important as well. Hmmmmm...very thought provoking archaelogical find.

Much Peace - as we search for the answers - Amanda

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Amanda For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (2nd July 2016), bsbray (2nd July 2016), Dreamtimer (2nd July 2016), Elen (2nd July 2016), modwiz (2nd July 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 81,103 Times in 20,306 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by bsbray View Post
    [...]

But the concept of hell is not Jewish and comes to Christianity from pagan religions. Pre-Christian religions in Europe and elsewhere believed in an underworld, though it was not necessarily evil. The images of hot or firey underworld regions seems to at least be inspired by pagan beliefs. [...]
    In fact, the Book of Revelations of the Bible refers to the underworld as Hades, which is the name that it had already been given much earlier in the ancient Greek pantheistic mythology. Even the name of the angel in charge of guarding Hades was Greek: Apollyon — clearly a derivative of the Greek deity Apollo.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

bsbray (2nd July 2016), Dreamtimer (2nd July 2016), Elen (2nd July 2016), modwiz (2nd July 2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Amanda View Post
    Look at all the Sacred Geometry on the dome of the main external building - beautiful and with a mighty purpose I bet. I wonder how many columns there are - the number of the supporting columns for the dome would have a lot of signifigance. The squared pool of water - that would be very important as well. Hmmmmm...very thought provoking archaelogical find.

Much Peace - as we search for the answers - Amanda
    I found the round temple very aesthetically pleasing. Wanted to keep looking at it.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (2nd July 2016), bsbray (2nd July 2016), Dreamtimer (2nd July 2016), Elen (2nd July 2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    In fact, the Book of Revelations of the Bible refers to the underworld as Hades, which is the name that it had already been given much earlier in the ancient Greek pantheistic mythology. Even the name of the angel in charge of guarding Hades was Greek: Apollyon — clearly a derivative of the Greek deity Apollo.
    Apollo may be the most mysterious of the gods. Pinning him down a particular archetype or demi-historical person is proven to be very elusive. Yes, I said demi instead of semi. Poetic license taken. Used it a demi-god. Might be completely incorrect.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (2nd July 2016), Dreamtimer (2nd July 2016), Elen (2nd July 2016)