Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: [Bunk] Parallel Universe: The Mandela Effect

(account terminated) United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,648 Times in 2,895 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Novusod View Post
    This probably isn't a Mandela effect but I noticed a change a few days ago in this very forum.

Anyone remember when the "Highlighted threads" forum was called "Priority Threads."

Why do you say "This probably isn't a Mandela effect"? It's the exact same reasoning you're using in all of your other examples: people remember things this way but it's really that way, or the box of this movie says this thing but the movie itself says that thing. So why is this "probably" not the case here but the other examples definitely are? I'm not seeing the major difference.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bsbray For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th June 2016), Elen (24th June 2016), modwiz (24th June 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by bsbray View Post
    Why do you say "This probably isn't a Mandela effect"? It's the exact same reasoning you're using in all of your other examples: people remember things this way but it's really that way, or the box of this movie says this thing but the movie itself says that thing. So why is this "probably" not the case here but the other examples definitely are? I'm not seeing the major difference.
    I remember when my thread Rhosgobel Tent at ToT was a priority thread with huge traffic. A let it die for awhile and it got removed. Properly, I might add. When the modss made improvements to the site, some things got re-named.

I must say, bsray, your logic holds up well in this instance regarding selective criteria.

The wrong spelling of JCPenney just started trending on twitter.

https://vine.co/v/5B9j71HBwwM
    What is different? The Penney part was always spelled that way. Were the other letters apart from Penney? If the logo changed it points more to a logo maker needing to justify their pay than a Mandela effect, IMO. I support the concept of the effect but, not spurious drivel jumping on a meme. Trending on Twitter is a drivel alert.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th June 2016), bsbray (24th June 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,514 Times in 431 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    I remember when my thread Rhosgobel Tent at ToT was a priority thread with huge traffic. A let it die for awhile and it got removed. Properly, I might add. When the modss made improvements to the site, some things got re-named.

I must say, bsray, your logic holds up well in this instance regarding selective criteria.

What is different? The Penney part was always spelled that way. Were the other letters apart from Penney? If the logo changed it points more to a logo maker needing to justify their pay than a Mandela effect, IMO. I support the concept of the effect but, not spurious drivel jumping on a meme. Trending on Twitter is a drivel alert.
    The twitter trend had nothing to do with the Mandela effect per say. People were discussing an NBA draft player's sneakers that he got at JCPenney. What is odd is that thousands of people spelled JCPenny wrong all at the same time. That is what caused it to trend. Don't you think it is a little odd that thousands of people would spell it wrong all at once? To me that was just way too weird.

JCPenney is spelled with an extra "E"
    The logo I linked is the correct spelling.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Novusod For This Useful Post:

bsbray (24th June 2016), Dreamtimer (24th June 2016), Elen (24th June 2016), modwiz (24th June 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    bsbray you are a super moderator. You should have conclusive proof if someone renamed the forum because you have access to forum logs and admin pages. This isn't a memory. It is in my browser history where it is named Priority Threads, that is why I posted that screenshot to prove I am not miss-remembering things. If nobody here renamed the forum then something "supernatural" just happened. My browser has a history to a forum that never existed. Please explain how that is normal?

I am in OCD mode right now. Collecting evidence and looking for answers. I am not saying this is proof of a Mandela effect until someone confirms that there isn't a reasonable explanation.
    Last edited by Novusod, 24th June 2016 at 06:27.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Novusod For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th June 2016), bsbray (24th June 2016), Dreamtimer (24th June 2016), Elen (24th June 2016), modwiz (24th June 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts

Lightbulb

bsbray you are a super moderator. You should have conclusive proof if someone renamed the forum because you have access to forum logs and admin pages.
    Um, yes, he is, but no, he doesn't. The logs and the Admin Control Panel are only accessible to administrators, which here at The One Truth means Malc and myself.

On the other hand, all staff members report to the mod room whenever they engage in moderation. This is something I have pushed for from the start, so that the left hand would always know what the right hand is doing. Before I became a staff member — which was on 18 April 2015 — that was not the case, and the former moderators used to do stuff without informing the others, with as a result that things rapidly became quite chaotic.

We also always deliberate on all decisions. If one of us has a proposal, then we'll talk about it in the mod room with the whole team. There is full transparency and we always strive for a consensus.

This isn't a memory. It is in my browser history where it is named Priority Threads, that is why I posted that screenshot to prove I am not miss-remembering things. If nobody here renamed the forum then something "supernatural" just happened. My browser has a history to a forum that never existed. Please explain how that is normal?

I am in OCD mode right now. Collecting evidence and looking for answers. I am not saying this is proof of a Mandela effect until someone confirms that there isn't a reasonable explanation.
    In agreement with all staff members, I have renamed the subforum formerly called Priority Threads into Highlighted Threads about two weeks ago. The reasons for that were that first of all, we wanted to get rid of the word "priority" — given that we don't want to dictate to our members what they must believe and what they must reject — and secondly, the name Priority Threads was literally taken over from Project Avalon when The One Truth was first created, as were the original forum rules and most of the original forum category layout.

Ever since I became a staff member — and in close collaboration with my colleagues, including Malc — I have been systematically moving The One Truth away from its original incarnation as a scaled-down Project Avalon clone. The One Truth has in the meantime grown a lot — albeit that we're still not as big as Project Avalon of course, but then again, that has never been our intent — and now has an identity all of its own within the alternative community. And Malc likes it that way.

And just for the record — in case you were to notice the following too — I have also renamed the subforum Medicine & Alternative Remedies to Medicine & Health yesterday in order to slightly widen its scope and give it a more palatable name. We're constantly working on making The One Truth into what we believe is the best alternative community forum. And I think we're on the right track too.

No Mandela effect here.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

bsbray (24th June 2016), Dreamtimer (24th June 2016), Elen (24th June 2016), enjoy being (24th June 2016), modwiz (24th June 2016), Novusod (24th June 2016), RealityCreation (22nd July 2016)

Thanks
    The twitter trend had nothing to do with the Mandela effect per say. People were discussing an NBA draft player's sneakers that he got at JCPenney. What is odd is that thousands of people spelled JCPenny wrong all at the same time. That is what caused it to trend. Don't you think it is a little odd that thousands of people would spell it wrong all at once? To me that was just way too weird.

JCPenney is spelled with an extra "E"
    The logo I linked is the correct spelling.
    The wrong spelling in the twitter feed is the poor spellers coming from common core schools. I did not notice that in the post because I skipped looking at a twitter feed. Do my best to do so, lol.

OCD, eh? My condolences. I like your posts.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th June 2016), bsbray (24th June 2016), Elen (24th June 2016), Novusod (24th June 2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Um, yes, he is, but no, he doesn't.

Ever since I became a staff member — and in close collaboration with my colleagues, including Malc — I have been systematically moving The One Truth away from its original incarnation as a scaled-down Project Avalon clone. The One Truth has in the meantime grown a lot — albeit that we're still not as big as Project Avalon of course, but then again, that has never been our intent — and now has an identity all of its own within the alternative community. And Malc likes it that way.

And just for the record — in case you were to notice the following too — I have also renamed the subforum Medicine & Alternative Remedies to Medicine & Health yesterday in order to slightly widen its scope and give it a more palatable name. We're constantly working on making The One Truth into what we believe is the best alternative community forum. And I think we're on the right track too.

No Mandela effect here.
    I like what ToT has become and especially its administration/moderation. I would not want to return to PA even if such an option were available. My recent posts have probably insured that, lol. A big reason is because of its size and gloss, it attracts ALOT of newbies. My temperament would make them juicy morsels for my more sarcastic moods and bring out the dick in me. BR does not like competition in that arena.

With that said, I wish to see ToT grow as a place where the attraction is the posters and environment. Not to mention the excellent moderation who do extra duty as quality posters. This is one reason I have started to revive my "Tent" thread. In its heyday it was a jumping joint and was constantly active. A look at the views since its inception are still high despite it being in the morgue for some months. Whether it will ever be more than a shadow is anyone's guess. I did notice some odd behavior when I started making videos, that felt like "Who does he think he is?". This opinion of mine came from a sudden lack of participation in the Tent. Once I hooked up with the Ambassador my estrangement deepened.

Anyway, my spirit revives itself and jumps in again and the response will be what it is. I tell you from my heart, brother the impetus is to see ToT grow in quantity as a result of quality. The quick influx and outflow resulting from the superstar of the month does not work and rends the fine fabric of this site. As an Aspie, having a few great friends for life was always more important than a gaggle of fair weather friends. I have friends for over 50 years and despite not speaking for years at a stretch sometimes, when we pick up it is like we spoke last week.

I was fortunate as an Aspie. I was playing in bands as puberty set in and social retardation did not get in the way of my gyrating stage presence getting me noticed and spending a lot of motion filled horizontal time. So the sting of being an oddball was very much not present. Antics that in the classroom got me poor reports, got me a lot of eyeballs on the stage. I have lived a blessed life. However, having a higher than average intelligence is a mixed blessing. It always appears one is surrounded by morons and appearances are not always deceiving, lol.

I am mellowing at the tender age of 63, which is barely a teenager as an Istari.

I am aware this post was waaaaay off topic. WTF, it might make good reading.
    Last edited by modwiz, 24th June 2016 at 09:56.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th June 2016), bsbray (24th June 2016), Cearna (24th June 2016), Dreamtimer (24th June 2016), Elen (24th June 2016), Novusod (24th June 2016), RealityCreation (22nd July 2016)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Modwiz, great post, off topic or not. I applaud your decision not to compete with BR.

I can't point to any clear examples of the Mandela effect. Language and memory change with time. It seems it would be really hard to document. If your sarcastic wit disappeared I'd be sure something wiggy was going on...

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th June 2016), bsbray (24th June 2016), Cearna (27th June 2016), Elen (24th June 2016), modwiz (24th June 2016), Novusod (24th June 2016)

(account terminated) United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,648 Times in 2,895 Posts
    bsbray you are a super moderator. You should have conclusive proof if someone renamed the forum because you have access to forum logs and admin pages. This isn't a memory. It is in my browser history where it is named Priority Threads, that is why I posted that screenshot to prove I am not miss-remembering things. If nobody here renamed the forum then something "supernatural" just happened. My browser has a history to a forum that never existed. Please explain how that is normal?
    It has a pretty mundane explanation like Aragorn explained above, I was just wondering what tipped you off that this was wasn't an example of the Mandela effect even though you seem pretty convinced that all of these other things definitely are examples of the Mandela effect. You could use the same reasoning for the forum name change here as you have for the other examples.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bsbray For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th June 2016), Cearna (27th June 2016), modwiz (24th June 2016), Novusod (24th June 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    It has a pretty mundane explanation like Aragorn explained above, I was just wondering what tipped you off that this was wasn't an example of the Mandela effect even though you seem pretty convinced that all of these other things definitely are examples of the Mandela effect. You could use the same reasoning for the forum name change here as you have for the other examples.
    I assumed there was a mundane explanation which is why I said "This probably isn't a mandela effect" right from the get go. However, I made a post about it anyway just to make sure.

As for JCPenny vs JCPenney I pulled up google trends.

Interesting results that the incorrect spelling has gotten less over over time. The exception being what happened last night with the incorrect spelling trending on Twitter.

*Disclaimer I am only posting this for evidence gathering reasons. I am not jumping to conclusions. I am here to gather evidence and then make judgements after reviewing the evidence.

I noticed the other day another change at a website I regularly use called Pinterest. It is basically a Tumblr and Instagram for high minded adults. There are a lot of amazing and rare pictures you can find using this website. I use it all the time to find pictures of ancient ruins and archeological relics. It is really an invaluable tool. Users can post pictures to albums and boards by using a "Pin" feature. It looks like a thumbtack where you pin things to bulletin board. That is why it is called Pinterest because you "Pin" things that interest you.

The other day the "Pin" feature just disappeared and was renamed "Save." Kind of defeats the purpose of the site called Pinterest if there is no "Pin" feature anymore. For a little while it still had the little thumbtack icon but even that icon has vanished now. There could be a mundane explanation for this but then again it could be supernatural.

Once again this just for evidence gathering purposes.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Novusod For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th June 2016), Cearna (27th June 2016), Dreamtimer (26th June 2016), Elen (25th June 2016), modwiz (24th June 2016)

Thanks
    I like what ToT has become and especially its administration/moderation. [...]

With that said, I wish to see ToT grow as a place where the attraction is the posters and environment.
    Well, we too would like to see The One Truth grow of course, fellow Middle-Earthian, but our emphasis lies — and must always lie — with quality over quantity. When it comes down to the choice between those two, then The One Truth would rather be a boutique than a shopping mall.

For that matter, we are still growing, but there are a few small problems that we've noticed...

• The first problem is that we're getting a lot of new registrations these days, but that about 85% of them are merely from known forum spammers, so then we have to delete those again. A number of them are already blocked automatically by the forum engine and the firewall, but many of them still get through. We've also begun blocking registrations from proxy servers and VPNs, because there's no legitimate reason as to why anyone would want to sign up here while using a proxy. (Mind you, we are not blocking the use of a proxy server — only registration through a proxy.)

• The second problem is that a lot of people are visiting The One Truth by way of mobile devices — commonly smartphones — and for some reason, these people then sign up here, even if they're only drive-by visitors who don't have any intent of ever coming back. This, however, is not unique to The One Truth. All forums — whether in the alternative community or otherwise — have loads of stale registrations like that.

• The third problem is that many people have signed up here as refugees from Project Avalon, but then somehow they later fell under Bill Ryan's spell again and chose to return to Project Avalon, thereby silently abandoning their membership of The One Truth without asking for their account here to be retired. So they remain listed as regular members, but they never — or at best, rarely ever — connect here anymore.

Not to mention the excellent moderation who do extra duty as quality posters.
    Thank you for that. It's nice to be appreciated, and especially in light of what I will be commenting under your paragraph here-below.

This is one reason I have started to revive my "Tent" thread. In its heyday it was a jumping joint and was constantly active. A look at the views since its inception are still high despite it being in the morgue for some months. Whether it will ever be more than a shadow is anyone's guess. I did notice some odd behavior when I started making videos, that felt like "Who does he think he is?". This opinion of mine came from a sudden lack of participation in the Tent. Once I hooked up with the Ambassador my estrangement deepened.
    Well, I don't think it's got anything to do with you personally, Radagast. For a while already, I've been noticing a trend here at the forum — and it seems to be present all over society, so The One Truth is probably not the only forum where this is happening, but I myself am not registered at any other forums so I can't really tell — of people becoming dispassionate and apathetic, or even antisocial.

You can easily see this in the use of the "thanks" function. Certain people — I'm not going to be naming any names, but let's just say that some of them were supposed to be friends of mine — simply can't be bothered with clicking that "thanks" button anymore, and not even if you reply to their posts and questions directly and in a personal manner. It may not mean much to anyone else, but I personally find it an indicator of how people's mindset appears to be shifting away from "What can I do to make this (world) a better place?" and onto "What can this community do for me?"

And just before anyone says anything about that, this is not about "group think" or cultism. This is about interpersonal appreciation and common courtesy.

Anyway, my spirit revives itself and jumps in again and the response will be what it is.
    You have authenticity, Radagast, and that is why we appreciate you.

I tell you from my heart, brother the impetus is to see ToT grow in quantity as a result of quality.
    Well, between the many spammers and drive-by registrations who never come back again, we do still gain legitimate members who are eager to participate in our exchanges for all the right reasons — this, notwithstanding the absence of a "flavor of the month". But this type of growth is a very slow process, and especially in light of the general increase in apathy which I spoke of higher up.

I am mellowing at the tender age of 63, which is barely a teenager as an Istari.
    I'd be a decade behind you then. And for a Dúnedain, that's still very young too.

I am aware this post was waaaaay off topic. WTF, it might make good reading.
    Hell yeah! But just to stay in tune with my role as a staff member, I must now put down the following sign...

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

161803398 (15th August 2016), Cearna (25th June 2016), Dreamtimer (26th June 2016), Elen (25th June 2016), modwiz (24th June 2016), Novusod (24th June 2016), RealityCreation (22nd July 2016)

Thanks
    With that said, I wish to see ToT grow as a place where the attraction is the posters and environment. Not to mention the excellent moderation who do extra duty as quality posters. This is one reason I have started to revive my "Tent" thread. In its heyday it was a jumping joint and was constantly active. A look at the views since its inception are still high despite it being in the morgue for some months. Whether it will ever be more than a shadow is anyone's guess.
    By the way, you will find that I've moved it back under the Highlighted Threads forum now.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Cearna (25th June 2016), Elen (25th June 2016), modwiz (24th June 2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    By the way, you will find that I've moved it back under the Highlighted Threads forum now.
    Thank you, Aragorn. May it turn out to be one.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th June 2016), Dreamtimer (26th June 2016), Elen (25th June 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    you know, a lot of these memory problems may be attributed to the rise in various metals in the environment such as aluminum which has spiked considerably.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ZShawn For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (25th June 2016), Cearna (25th June 2016), Dreamtimer (26th June 2016), modwiz (25th June 2016), RealityCreation (22nd July 2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by ZShawn View Post
    you know, a lot of these memory problems may be attributed to the rise in various metals in the environment such as aluminum which has spiked considerably.
    That, plus atmospheric conditions such as thunderstorms and strong winds, in combination with the huge amount of microwave radiation flooding and permeating us all the time — i.e. anything from the electric fields coming off of household devices (e.g. refrigerators, television sets, radios, computers, et al) over cellphone signals (both from the towers and from the phones), WiFi signals (from the wireless internet providers' towers and local hot spots, from household and corporate WiFi routers, and from all the devices that connect to them) all the way up to GPS and other satellites which are constantly bombarding Earth with EM radiation.

All of the above — and especially so in conjunction with certain atmospheric conditions — create very high degrees of ionization. The body's neurology is electric and picks up on that. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about, because I'm extremely sensitive to that stuff, and so is my brother, and so was our father.

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Cearna (27th June 2016), Dreamtimer (26th June 2016), Elen (26th June 2016), modwiz (25th June 2016), Wind (26th June 2016), ZShawn (1st July 2016)