Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worried about Transhumanism? Well, now we can also worry about Chimeras

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Well, there is still a difference — at least, in my humble opinion — between a hybrid created from two or more sapient species, and a hybrid created from a sapient species and a non-sapient species.

Self-modifying computer code does exist. Among other things, this ability of a computer program to modify its own code is the basis of artificial intelligence, but at a less ambitious scale, it is also how a so-called worm works. It modifies its own code in order to avoid detection. And of course, it doesn't "know" anything, because it's just a very cleverly designed algorithm.

As for whether humans know what they're doing, I think we've seen ample evidence already all over the pages of history that they don't (*), and from the looks of what appears in the mainstream media news every day, the vast majority of them probably never will.

(*) "My God, what have I done?"
    (Robert Oppenheimer, upon witnessing the detonation of the first nuclear bomb)

I agree from observations also.

But I can't support "from the looks of what appears in the mainstream media news, the vast majority of them probably never will" for no matter how bleak it is I am simply powerless to destroy the "F@#k it, I ain't giving up" force that drives through me, no matter how many times I try to destroy IT.

And without bloody fail it always rears its powerful head whenever I sink into that desperate final pit of despair and think ah, finally, I'm done, so just obliterate me from the whole universe creation thing, as the whole concept of goodies and baddies and baddies always f@#king over the goodies, and no intelligent governance over really shitty usage of creative genius, just ain't my cup of tea.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gemma For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (26th May 2016), Aragorn (25th May 2016), Cearna (26th May 2016), Dreamtimer (25th May 2016), Elen (25th May 2016)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    I have to agree with you pointessa....

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Windancer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (26th May 2016), Aragorn (26th May 2016), Cearna (26th May 2016), Dreamtimer (26th May 2016), Elen (26th May 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    The more I read about current developments, the more it seems that the Atlantean past we read about so often is in fact not the past but the future we are rapidly approaching. Either that or history is very much cyclical / circular.... with us repeating the same events over and over until we find a way to escape the cycle. I feel that we're slowly reaching the correct level of awareness to escape this cycle but the question still remains whether or not we will escape it in time to stop history repeating itself yet again.....

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jcocks For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th May 2016), Cearna (26th May 2016), Dreamtimer (26th May 2016), Elen (26th May 2016)