Thread: Neuro-enhancement in the military

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,882 Times in 3,290 Posts

Neuro-enhancement in the military

This is now in the MSM !

"About five years ago, not long after I started up my research group at Cardiff University, something rather strange happened. One morning I came down to my lab to find the door wide open and a suited man standing in the middle of the room, peering around and scribbling on a clipboard. He told me he worked for a private defence firm who were interested in applications of my research on human brain stimulation. He also said there was funding available for joint research projects. We spoke for a couple of minutes before I made it clear I wasn't interested in that sort of collaboration.

Thinking about it afterward, something about the encounter chilled me. It wasn't the fact that this person had gained access to the lab seemingly unannounced, and it wasn't even the sense of entitlement that seemed to exude from the guy, as though he was standing in his lab not mine. What bothered me was the realisation that the work I do operates anywhere near the line where a military firm might find it useful. My opinion at the time – still unchanged – was that I would sooner quit science than get into bed with the profiteering wing of those whose raison d'ętre is foreign intervention and invasion.

Five years later, brain stimulation research has moved far and fast. A fascinating new issue of Frontiers in Human Neuroscience includes a timely review on the various ways brain stimulation can enhance thought and behaviour – with special consideration of applications in the security services and military."

More; http://www.theguardian.com/science/h...nce-psychology

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Useful Post:

john parslow (7th October 2013), KosmicKat (7th October 2013), Mark (7th October 2013), Tonz (7th October 2013)