Thread: We Didn't Start The Fire Redux

Senior Member United States Diabolical Boids's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,043 Times in 651 Posts

We Didn't Start The Fire Redux

I liked the original We Didn't Start the Fire by Billy Joel. So well did I like the song I can still remember where I was at the first time I heard it. It was in the autumn of 89. I was sitting in the backseat (as the youngest sibling always has to do) while my two older sisters and I were driving to go going shopping somewhere to get me something to wear to a class reunion. I still have the outfit. I should get it out and iron it up, I liked it that well. I remember it costed something horrendously expensive like 30 dollars and I got it at the Midwest version of Macy's, JL Hudsons. The ultimate in swank. I remember how nervous I was spending that much money on an entire outfit.

Now Fall Out Boy has updated the song and reissued with "events" from the 50's up to the closer to the present.

Have a listen.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LkVKCWL0U4
    Last edited by Aragorn, 29th June 2023 at 22:47. Reason: properly embedded your video :)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Diabolical Boids For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (30th June 2023), Aragorn (29th June 2023), modwiz (29th June 2023), Octopus Garden (29th June 2023), Wind (30th June 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Diabolical Boids View Post
    I liked the original We Didn't Start the Fire by Billy Joel. So well did I like the song I can still remember where I was at the first time I heard it. It was in the autumn of 89. I was sitting in the backseat (as the youngest sibling always has to do) while my two older sisters and I were driving to go going shopping somewhere to get me something to wear to a class reunion. I still have the outfit. I should get it out and iron it up, I liked it that well. I remember it costed something horrendously expensive like 30 dollars and I got it at the Midwest version of Macy's, JL Hudsons. The ultimate in swank. I remember how nervous I was spending that much money on an entire outfit.

Now Fall Out Boy has updated the song and reissued with "events" from the 50's up to the closer to the present.

Like you, I've always loved the original — I've also always liked Billy Joel's music in general — but I can't say I remember where I was when the original first came out. I do however have vivid memories of the time frames of many other songs and where I was when they were being played on the radio. And I still maintain to this very day that the year I was in 9th grade — 1977-1978 — was musically one of the best years ever. That whole year long, the top-30 charts were literally full of music that I found absolutely fantastic.

Just a few names and titles, off the top of my head and in no particular order — I've actually tried to compile this list several times before but I always end up forgetting a few songs...

• Electric Light Orchestra - Mr. Blue Sky
    • Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
    • Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Blinded By The Light
    • Brother's Johnson - Strawberry Letter 23
    • The Babys - Peace Of The Action
    • The Sweet - Love Is Like Oxygen
    • Santana - She's Not There
    • Dire Straits - Sultans Of Swing
    • Al Stewart - On The Border
    • Boston - More Than A Feeling
    • Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall
    • Joe Jackson - Is She Really Going Out With Him
    • Donna Summer - MacArthur Park
    • Toto - Hold The Line
    • Fleetwood Mac - Dreams

Sadly enough, as I'm growing older and as modern music can barely excite me anymore — as a musician, I have certain standards that the music I listen to must live up to, albeit that I have a very eclectic taste — some of those memories are starting to fade away in the darker crannies of my brain.

That all said, the Fall Out Boy version of Billy Joel's classic is not bad — not bad at all.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (30th June 2023), Diabolical Boids (30th June 2023), modwiz (30th June 2023), Wind (30th June 2023)