Page 64 of 200 FirstFirst ... 14546162636465666774114164 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump: Illusion, Mist and Bought?

Thanks
    Thanked 43,177 Times in 11,952 Posts
    yeah, back in the day that would mean a Republican firing squad.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th June 2018), Dreamtimer (16th June 2018), Elen (21st June 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    The Senate Judiciary Committee is having hearings about election interference.

You can read testimony regarding Manafort here.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th June 2018), Elen (21st June 2018), Emil El Zapato (16th June 2018)

Thanks
    This is an article about Manafort and his activities.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th June 2018), Elen (21st June 2018)

Thanks

Comey the anti-hero

From 2016

It’s come to this: The FBI, America’s premier law enforcement agency, just had to decide whether to investigate one of its own Twitter accounts to see if it had an anti-Hillary Clinton bias.

The account in question, @FBIRecordsVault, burst into the news earlier this week after abruptly posting records related to Bill Clinton’s last-minute — and deeply controversial — pardon of financier Marc Rich. An FBI official said in an interview that the bureau’s Office of Professional Responsibility referred the matter to its Inspection Division for a possible investigation into whether anyone in the FBI had intentionally released the documents to hurt Hillary Clinton.
    Comey has since come under sustained criticism from law enforcement veterans and lawmakers from both parties who believe he broke with longstanding Justice Department policies by directly intruding into the presidential race — and potentially impacting its outcome.

“There’s a longstanding policy of not doing anything that could influence an election,” George J. Terwilliger III, a deputy attorney general under President George Bush, told the New York Times last week. “Those guidelines exist for a reason. Sometimes, that makes for hard decisions. But bypassing them has consequences.”
    Comey dropped another bombshell Sunday when he released a new letter to lawmakers saying the FBI had seen nothing in its review of the newly discovered trove of emails that would change his July recommendation that Clinton not face criminal charges.

Voters have spent days being barraged by round-the-clock coverage of his first letter, however, and Sunday’s quasi-retraction could be way too little, too late. That’s particularly true for the millions of Americans who have cast early ballots since Comey made his announcement.
    Earlier this week, unnamed sources within the bureau told the Wall Street Journal that some FBI agents believed they had enough evidence to begin an aggressive investigation into a potential pay-to-play scheme at the Clinton Foundation, but were overruled by more senior officials.

Another anti-Clinton leak came Thursday, when sources thought to be disgruntled FBI officials told Fox News that an indictment was coming in the Clinton Foundation case. The story gave Trump a new talking point, dominated Fox’s primetime news programming, and rocketed across the conservative media before being debunked by an array of other media outlets. By that point, though, the damage had already been done.
    Taken together, it’s easy to come away with the conclusion that the FBI is out to get Hillary Clinton. The truth, though, is far more complicated. The FBI isn’t a monolith, and it isn’t the bureau as a whole that is targeting Clinton. Experts who study the FBI believe the leaks are coming from a small clique of agents who profoundly distrust Clinton and believe she deserves to be punished for what they see as a long record of ethically dubious behavior

The FBI is so powerful — it can, with court approval, issue subpoenas, tap phones, intercept emails and conduct round-the-clock surveillance — that even a small coterie of its agents can find ways of influencing the political process. That’s the kind of thing we normally see in autocracies like Egypt or Turkey, not here in the United States.

Comey stumbled by personally entering the political fray. His bigger mistake may have come from signaling to other agents that they could do the same.
    Comey released his letter about the Clinton email probe over the objections of his higher-ups at the Justice Department, and despite the fact that the move violated two separate and long-standing policies. The first calls for never discussing ongoing criminal investigations. The second, repeated every four years, is to avoid taking steps within 60 days of an election that could influence the vote and appear to inject partisanship into the FBI’s work.

Comey did so...triggering sharp criticism from former senior FBI and DOJ officials from both parties. Two of Holder’s most recent Republican predecessors, Alberto Gonzales and Michael Mukasey, have also accused the FBI chief of making a serious error in judgement.
    Comey has had a long reputation for personal integrity and nonpartisanship, and we may never definitively know why he chose to publicly bash Clinton’s handling of her emails even though he said he’d found no evidence of criminal wrongdoing; decided to testify on Capitol Hill about the probe and give lawmakers access to the bureau’s investigative files; and opted to ignore the wishes of his bosses and release his new letter.

But his actions appear to have triggered a cascade of other anti-Clinton leaks by agents who, rightly or wrongly, believe he gave them the green light.
    In the words of one anonymous agent quoted by the Guardian, some FBI personnel see Clinton as “the anti-Christ,” and “the reason why they’re leaking is they’re pro-Trump.” The FBI, the agent said, “is Trumpland.”
    All government agencies leak, but comments from unnamed FBI officials carry extra weight because many Americans are predisposed to trust law enforcement more than they do other institutions like Congress or the White House. That’s part of what makes the FBI’s involvement in partisan squabbling so different — and so dangerous.
    The FBI’s intrusion into politics also carries risks for the bureau itself. The FBI’s ability to do its work depends on the public at large, and the bureau’s overseers on Capitol Hill, seeing it as a nonpartisan entity that uses its vast powers without regard to political party or affiliation. An FBI that came to be seen as an extension of a Trump White House or a partisan opponent of a Clinton one would forfeit much of that moral and political standing.

I'm thinking of my friend's associate who said, "I don't care. I want blood."

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th June 2018), Elen (21st June 2018), Emil El Zapato (16th June 2018)

Thanks
    my personal belief is that Comey new full well what he was doing when he spoke about Clinton...he couldn't resist his fear of the Clintons...and in a weak moment he followed his baser instincts. His higher instincts put him on the trail of Trump...it's really that simple...in my not so humble opinion...

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th June 2018), Dreamtimer (16th June 2018), Elen (21st June 2018), Wind (16th June 2018)

Thanks
    This is from the intelligence report and reads almost as if Trump has first hand knowledge of Russian participation in the election. Not only that Trump Jr. told the Russian operatives the 'dirt' they had on Hillary Clinton would not help their cause...Really?! It would not help their cause. How is it that info on 'crooked Hillary' would not help them?

I can answer that...because she was 'innocent' of all the claims the right has made against her. But that notwithstanding, just the notion that they had dirt was enough to mobilize the right sycophants to become ecstatic with glee and push it as damning information. The right and some of the middle took the bait hook, line, and sinker without reservation.

Incidentally this report is from a source that ostensibly is pro-Trump.

"In his testimony before the House Intelligence Committee, Donald Trump Jr. suggested he would not have taken the June 9, 2016, meeting were it not for the promise of derogatory information on Hillary Clinton. He testified84 before the Senate Judiciary Committee that this was “an extraordinarily intense period of time” for the campaign, including their dealing with competitors’ efforts to force a contested convention and their having to replace Corey Lewandowski as campaign manager. Despite the pressure on their schedules, the Trump campaign assembled three top officials to meet with the Russians.

According to the House Intelligence Committee’s Majority report, Trump Jr., Kushner, and Manafort attended the meeting “where they expected to receive…derogatory information on candidate Clinton from Russian sources.” Trump Jr. admits to “pressing” the Russian attorney for the information he was told she would have, and informed her that the information she was providing was unhelpful. His admission is consistent with the testimony of other participants at the meeting. During the meeting, Manafort thought it was important enough to take notes."

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th June 2018), Dreamtimer (16th June 2018), Elen (21st June 2018)

Thanks
    Another thing to consider about the 'emails' is that once the Wikileaks organization had possession of 'official' DNC and other emails what is to prevent them from altering them to their satisfaction?

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th June 2018), Dreamtimer (17th June 2018), Elen (21st June 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 81,103 Times in 20,306 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    This is from the intelligence report and reads almost as if Trump has first hand knowledge of Russian participation in the election. Not only that Trump Jr. told the Russian operatives the 'dirt' they had on Hillary Clinton would not help their cause...Really?! It would not help their cause. How is it that info on 'crooked Hillary' would not help them?

I can answer that...because she was 'innocent' of all the claims the right has made against her.
    Um, no, she wasn't. Just because Trump is an asshole doesn't make Hillary into a saint. You're going to have to snap out of that black & white thinking of "if one of them is evil then the other must be good." That's the age-old trap of the bipartisan system, and it's apparently still working quite well, because you're still trapped. And you're not the only one, either.

It was already crystal clear from long before the elections that Trump and Hillary were (and still are) both crooked, and that it was a going to be choice between two very undesirable evils. It just so happens to be that Trump won because there was more of Hillary's dirt floating at the surface than was the case for The Donald™ at the time.

Don't forget how Hillary managed to destroy Bernie Sanders' candidacy through bribery and extortion. Don't forget what happened in Benghazi. Don't forget her two-faced attitude when she was talking to the business CEOs and stated that what she said in public wasn't what she really intended to do. Don't forget that this is a woman with blood on her hands, who once defended a child rapist in court when she was still working as a lawyer.

Don't forget that she denied any knowledge of the Bilderberg Group when the Group itself had already published their guest list with her name on it, and that she was seen, photographed and filmed while entering the hotel where the Bilderberg meeting was taking place.

The words "Hillary Rodham Clinton" and "innocent" don't belong in the same sentence together, any more than that the words "Donald J. Trump" and "saint" would.

Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump are both narcissistic megalomaniacs. They just look different on the outside, and their approach is different too. But they're not all that different once you look under the hood. Tomayto, tomahto.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (17th June 2018), Elen (21st June 2018), Emil El Zapato (16th June 2018), Wind (16th June 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,479 Times in 7,283 Posts
    my personal belief is that Comey new full well what he was doing when he spoke about Clinton...he couldn't resist his fear of the Clintons...and in a weak moment he followed his baser instincts. His higher instincts put him on the trail of Trump...it's really that simple...in my not so humble opinion...
    Even as a high stakes player Comey could have endangered his life by going against the Clintons so he either was cowardly or wise enough not to do that. I wouldn't blame him for it. Losing his career? That's not a biggie. In some ways it seems that Clintons are way too big to fall although I wonder why that is. Either it's because someone protects them or because they have so much blackmail data on people in high positions. Besides having their contract killers of course. They can't shoot Trump just like that so for that reason they have tried to take him down in other ways. Although for a moment I did actually expect that Trump would get shot, but seems that I was wrong. Once again I have to say that I absolutely not am a Trump fan and in many ways I despise many of his policies, but yet I am very aware of the game which is being played behind the scenes.

Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump are both narcissistic megalomaniacs. They just look different on the outside, and their approach is different too. But they're not all that different once you look under the hood. Tomayto, tomahto.
    Trump is a narcissist, Hillary is a psychopath. Pick your poison...
    Last edited by Wind, 16th June 2018 at 19:31.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Um, no, she wasn't. Just because Trump is an asshole doesn't make Hillary into a saint. You're going to have to snap out of that black & white thinking of "if one of them is evil then the other must be good." That's the age-old trap of the bipartisan system, and it's apparently still working quite well, because you're still trapped. And you're not the only one, either.

It was already crystal clear from long before the elections that Trump and Hillary were (and still are) both crooked, and that it was a going to be choice between two very undesirable evils. It just so happens to be that Trump won because there was more of Hillary's dirt floating at the surface than was the case for The Donald™ at the time.

Don't forget how Hillary managed to destroy Bernie Sanders' candidacy through bribery and extortion. Don't forget what happened in Benghazi. Don't forget her two-faced attitude when she was talking to the business CEOs and stated that what she said in public wasn't what she really intended to do. Don't forget that this is a woman with blood on her hands, who once defended a child rapist in court when she was still working as a lawyer.

Don't forget that she denied any knowledge of the Bilderberg Group when the Group itself had already published their guest list with her name on it, and that she was seen, photographed and filmed while entering the hotel where the Bilderberg meeting was taking place.

The words "Hillary Rodham Clinton" and "innocent" don't belong in the same sentence together, any more than that the words "Donald J. Trump" and "saint" would.

it ain't that simple, Aragorn...but there is one aspect to me that is. Anything that originates from the right has a better than 50/50 chance of being a lie.

50/50 is pretty black and white. As for the right...the 50% potential lie is a 100% desire to lie, cheat, defame, conspire...I think you get the idea...

Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    Even as a high stakes player Comey could have endangered his life by going against the Clintons so he either was cowardly or wise enough not to do that. I wouldn't blame him for it. Losing his career? That's not a biggie. In some ways it seems that Clintons are way too big to fall although I wonder why that is. Either it's because someone protects them or because they have so much blackmail data on people in high positions. Besides having their contract killers of course. They can't shoot Trump just like that so for that reason they have tried to take him down in other ways. Although for a moment I did actually expect that Trump would get shot, but seems that I was wrong. Once again I have to say that I absolutely not am a Trump fan and in many ways I despise many of his policies, but yet I am very aware of the game which is being played behind the scenes.

Trump is a narcissist, Hillary is a psychopath. Pick your poison...
    you know I won't debate the point in a vacuum. What I would like to see are 'reputable' sources with a legitimate paper trail, legitimate witnesses...it really doesn't matter the type of source. But if I can in good faith be convinced that ANY of the claims against Hillary Clinton are true...I will forever shut my mouth and simply say 'Ok', it's been proven.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th June 2018), Dreamtimer (17th June 2018), Elen (21st June 2018), Wind (16th June 2018)

Thanks

several things right up front...Hillary was asked with an offer she couldn't refuse (as a public defender) to defend the child rapist...and as she pointed out...the fact or even the thought that she had to do that was ludicrous to the point of absolute disgust.

Bernie Sanders was sidelined by elements in her campaign sphere...I haven't followed up on the details but it wasn't something 'she' conspired to do...the powers that did originate the plot are no longer associated with the Democratic party.

Don't know anything about the Bilderberg group but I've already explained how they out of necessity are a secretive organization that holds great power.

Recognize that the head of the Federal Reserve is bound by ethics, practice, and perhaps even law to not divulge 'anything' that they are familiar with that could have an impact on the world economy. The have the ability to act on it, to regulate, but not to flap their jaws as to upset the economic balance. It isn't too hard to see the same concerned mandates to apply anywhere there is a sense of conscience, fairness, and justice.

As I always say we have a choice choose to believe the high side or the low side. The only group that I've seen conspire to harm humanity are the rightists.

Benghazi was a joke from the beginning. The reason things went down as they did is because the right had cut the funding for diplomatic concerns, compliments of the conservative house and senate. As part of their usual standard operating procedure when things f*cked up they blamed the Democrats...it's what they do, it's in their DNA.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    As I always say we have a choice choose to believe the high side or the low side. The only group that I've seen conspire to harm humanity are the rightists.
    While it is true that the Republican Party and its followers are historically more prone to concocting all kinds of defamation and misinformation, as an argument in this matter, it is beside the point. You are still looking at things through the eyes of a typical indoctrinated US American who cannot see what lies underneath the US bipartisan system, and who just cannot bring himself to look outside of that box in order to see things for what they truly are.

In spite of the very strong party-political loyalties and affiliations among certain Europeans, the degree of political indoctrination as it exists in the USA is completely alien to us, given that most European countries have a very wide gamut of political parties to choose from, with only a few of those parties being publicly supported by mainstream news media — they would typically be socialist, Keynesian-liberal or Christian-democrat newspapers. In Belgium concretely, the far right has only a minor publication that doesn't even qualify as a real newspaper, and likewise, the socialist union also has a similar publication, which is sent out to their members every month or so.

By consequence, it is much easier for Europeans to diagnose and see through the USA's political indoctrination system, and particularly so since it is perfectly consistent with the conspicuously insular world view of the vast majority of US Americans, which is itself another consequence of indoctrination. As I have stated before, it isn't just a matter of politics, but instead it's pervasive across the entire US American society. There are yet other countries and/or regions in the world with a cultural indoctrination — the Arab world, for instance, where the cultural indoctrination ties in with the Islamic religion — but to Europeans, that sort of brainwashing is all alien and therefore easy to notice.

Benghazi was a joke from the beginning. The reason things went down as they did is because the right had cut the funding for diplomatic concerns, compliments of the conservative house and senate. As part of their usual standard operating procedure when things f*cked up they blamed the Democrats...it's what they do, it's in their DNA.
    I rest my case.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (17th June 2018), Elen (21st June 2018), Emil El Zapato (16th June 2018), Wind (16th June 2018)

Thanks
    tell you what Mr. Aragorn...I'll let you have your point...not a concession mind you...but I will allow you to have it in peace.

However, the counter is that I've spent my entire life not looking from the outside in, but living it...and trust me, my vision is pretty good.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th June 2018), Dreamtimer (17th June 2018), Elen (21st June 2018)

Thanks
    tell you what Mr. Aragorn...I'll let you have your point...not a concession mind you...but I will allow you to have it in peace.

However, the counter is that I've spent my entire life not looking from the outside in, but living it...and trust me, my vision is pretty good.
    Sometimes, you have to take a step outside and look in. When you have your nose right on top of something for too long, then you cannot see it for what it is anymore.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (17th June 2018), Elen (21st June 2018), Emil El Zapato (17th June 2018), Wind (17th June 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 35,469 Times in 10,174 Posts

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th June 2018), Dreamtimer (17th June 2018), Elen (21st June 2018), Emil El Zapato (17th June 2018)