Thread: 23 and me

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,215 Times in 266 Posts

23 and me

evidently there is a new scheme to get your DNA.
    its being advertised to send in a cotton swab with
    your saliva on it and they will do a full genetic
    search of you. FREE!
    https://www.23andme.com/ancestry/?ut...FYdcfgodC8UCWA

think before you ACT!

that is my thoughts on this..
    got any?
    Last edited by Greenbarry, 28th December 2015 at 08:12.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Greenbarry For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th December 2015), bsbray (28th December 2015), Dumpster Diver (29th December 2015), Elen (28th December 2015), Frances (28th December 2015), Jengelen (29th December 2015), Juniper (28th December 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 295 Posts
    Some might say it's an FBI lure.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gale Frierson For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th December 2015), Dumpster Diver (29th December 2015), Elen (28th December 2015), Juniper (28th December 2015)

(account terminated)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 359 Posts
    99 $ is a good price.
    There is not datasheet of the accuracy, the details and full 1 Million data base of all those 99 $ scanned people into this database.

Hey Baby, show me your genes and let's start cloning with/in the old method.
    Uh Ah Uh Ah Uh Ah

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scibuster For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th December 2015), Dumpster Diver (29th December 2015), Elen (29th December 2015), Juniper (28th December 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 313 Posts
    Its based in Ireland and is one of the fingers of the genome project. I doubt there is conspiracy there as they were the ones attacked by the Jewish basically taking part in their DNA research. At first as I understand it the Jews were happy to take part and even funded and helped promote it but when the results started coming back showing something none of them wanted to hear (that they were not Semitic at all) but like 88% almost 89 percent were white Ashkenazi descent and I guess many of them found that offensive and challenged the results. That is what I understood anyway from speaking to others. The basic proof something was amiss was when the very powerful Jewish lobby got involved in D.C as I understand it pushing for these limits and challenging the results. The challenge to the DNA results did happen we know that because they made changes to how they conduct biz due to law changes after this. The group lobbied to support the changes made in the reports they give to the people taking part in it.

Again though the reasons could be many fold. For example if you took part in the 23 and me before this challenge and lobby group changed the law you get full reports going back well, long time, meaning my reports go clear back thousands of years! Then you get full health reports also for any predispositions of things or allergies and such and dispositions to look for or syndromes, diseases you are prone to and more but if you take part now after the law change they give you none of that and go back 500 years only and you do not get health reports at all for you!
    Last edited by Jengelen, 29th December 2015 at 15:53. Reason: edited for details better and to tell more than long time

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jengelen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th December 2015), Cearna (28th December 2015), Dumpster Diver (29th December 2015), Elen (29th December 2015), Greenbarry (28th December 2015), Juniper (28th December 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks

The first thing that came to my mind was ‘health and life insurance companies’.

If there is documented proof out there that an individual has a propensity for illness or disease then life and insurance companies will most certainly use that information against you.
    . . . . . and you can’t tell me that this information won’t make it to those agencies.

The second thought is the groups that are mapping human genetic evolution and how this genetic evolution can be tampered with using gmo foods and vaccines and other genetic alterations. All kinds of tweaking could take place if ‘they’ have copious amounts of dna/genetic information to form a foundation to work from.

Good thing? . . . . . . . Bad thing?

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to blufire For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th December 2015), Cearna (28th December 2015), Dumpster Diver (29th December 2015), Elen (29th December 2015), Greenbarry (28th December 2015), Jengelen (29th December 2015), Juniper (28th December 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,215 Times in 266 Posts
    thank you for the replies..
    the genome project is the
    winner!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greenbarry For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (29th December 2015), Elen (29th December 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Jengelen View Post
    Its based in Ireland and is one of the fingers of the genome project. I doubt there is conspiracy there as they were the ones attacked by the Jewish basically taking part in their DNA research. At first as I understand it the Jews were happy to take part and even funded and helped promote it but when the results started coming back showing something none of them wanted to hear (that they were not Semitic at all) but like 88% almost 89 percent were white Ashkenazi descent and I guess many of them found that offensive and challenged the results. The challenge to the DNA results did happen we know that because it lobbied groups to support the changes made in the reports they give to the people taking part in it. For example if you took part in the 23 and me before this challenge and lobby group changed the law you get full reports going back well, long time! Then you get full health reports and dispositions to look for or syndromes, diseases you are prone to and more but if you take part now after the change they give you none of that and go back 500 years only and no health reports at all for you!
    I would like to know where you got this information Jengelen

This is what I found with a short search on the company and couldn’t find anything relating to what you posted.

I am not supporting the company . . . . I have great reservations and concerns about what they will do with this data, but a massive part of the alternative media’s downfall (imo) is throwing out unsubstantiated damaging info.

Below is from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23andMe

23andMe is a privately held personal genomics and biotechnology company based in Mountain View, California. The company is named for the 23 pairs of chromosomes in a normal human cell.[1] Its saliva-based direct-to-consumer personal genome test was named Invention of the Year by Time magazine in 2008.[2]

In 2013 the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) ordered 23andMe to discontinue marketing its personal genome service (PGS) as the company had not obtained the legally required regulatory approval resulting in concerns about the potential consequences of customers receiving inaccurate health results.[3] The company continued to sell a personal genome test without health-related results in the United States until October 21, 2015, when it announced that it would be including a revised health component with FDA approval.[4][5] 23andMe has been selling a product with both ancestry and health-related components in Canada since October 2014,[6][7][8] and in the United Kingdom since December 2014.[9]

The company was founded by Linda Avey, Paul Cusenza and Anne Wojcicki in 2006 to provide genetic testing and interpretation to individual consumers.[10][11] In 2007, Google invested $3,900,000 in the company, along with Genentech, New Enterprise Associates, and Mohr Davidow Ventures.[12]

Cusenza left the company in 2007 and was appointed CEO of Nodal Exchange in 2008.[13] Avey left the company in 2009 and co-founded Curious, Inc. in 2011.[14]
    In 2012, 23andMe raised $50 million in a Series D venture round, almost doubling its existing capital of $52.6 million.[15][16][17] In 2015, 23andMe raised $115 million in a Series E offering, increasing its total capital to $241 million.[5][18][19]

The company had not turned a profit by October 2015.[5

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blufire For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (29th December 2015), Elen (30th December 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    That may be all true too, I don't know what branches they have. When I took part in it because I never knew who my bio-father was it was when it first started and that was in Ireland and the address on my stuff was actually from there and for all I know depending on where you are geographically speaking they arrange it that way I am not sure. It could be it was the only one at the time also and that they have grown. There stock has so it only makes sense. They send news letters to members and with each step in litigation they kept members informed as to what was happening and assured those belonging already nothing would change for them. It didn't as I can still trace and review health reports and all the stuff changed. The behind the scenes agreements often times prohibit certain divulging of some things and perhaps when the final was made they came up with the current situation. I really don't have answers for you there> I do belong to the the site though.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jengelen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (29th December 2015), Elen (30th December 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    The first question that comes to my mind is, "Why would I want to give away my gene sequence to someone?" Once they've performed this service for me they keep the info and use it as they wish. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

There's really no way anyone could assure me to my satisfaction that they'll keep my info confidential. What kind of 'ownership' do they claim?

As someone who was adopted and has little to no information about my heritage, I'm intensely curious. But not enough to give out my gene sequence.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Elen (30th December 2015), Jengelen (30th December 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    I think I just gave you a very good reason. To find out more about your own roots, your own parents. When you grow up as a secret son fathered by some mystery chap even your mother protects and all you ever got from you bio father was that ring you see in my avatar? Well, lets just say stuff like that provides ample reason for many to take part in it. It certainly played a lot in my taking part in it to find out more about my paternal side. There is conspiracy afoot with humans whenever they touch anything it just varies in intensity is all. I think we're all aware of what we can do in private. That is the single fear really what deviant things could one do with your sequence? Truth be told when all they need is a that tiny bit of saliva to tell all that about you or a single sliver of hair, or puss from a wound and bingo they have it all anyway. So the point is if they really want to know your sequence they do! They can get it off the next glass you leave at your table at the food court. They are actually walking around now with handheld devices that can read a lot off of just a hair now and its getting more star trek all the time. Soon audiences will be full of people sitting there while a guy goes around telling them from a touch what haplogroup they belong to just from this little scanner.

They've mapped the genome they really have and the Neanderthal genome too is nearly complete or complete by now so they have most of it anyway. Soon enough and mark my words its right around the corner. ID will be obsolete. ID theft impossible really as drones in the sky will scan and know you by your read out. No hiding period. They can see us like fingerprints now! The new human is going to be a joining of this tech and us I think. Some cyborg for the future I suspect man/machines with DATA brains. Its probably good though. If all the epi-genetic damage is really causing us so much damage that by 2030 1 out of 20 male births will be normal while the other 19 will be autistic with learning disability and more all defective then I guess the only way to make up the shortfall mentally is to hook up with machines. If we're all going to be birthing nothing but mostly retards in the future I see little choice for humanity other than extinction do you?

Thanks
    Wow. Good points, Jengelen. It's true someone could have stolen my dna. If so, it's stolen information. Why should I do them the favor of legitimizing it?

I've heard the dire predictions, but I don't really believe the numbers will be so bad. I know a young man w/aspergers. He's incredibly creative, is getting into film and has "Kubrick's eye" as his dad says. Nothin' wrong with him, IMO.

Not knowing my heritage is an issue if I want it to be. It's not unusual to me. My parents and several other couples who were friends all ended up adopting for varied reasons. I knew many kids growing up who were adopted. My best friend from middle school was also adopted as were her two brothers. Adoption was so normal in my life it was no big deal.

I certainly hope that becoming half machine is not our only option.

The ring is lovely. Lapis?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Jengelen (31st December 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Wow. Good points, Jengelen. It's true someone could have stolen my dna. If so, it's stolen information. Why should I do them the favor of legitimizing it?

I've heard the dire predictions, but I don't really believe the numbers will be so bad. I know a young man w/aspergers. He's incredibly creative, is getting into film and has "Kubrick's eye" as his dad says. Nothin' wrong with him, IMO.

Not knowing my heritage is an issue if I want it to be. It's not unusual to me. My parents and several other couples who were friends all ended up adopting for varied reasons. I knew many kids growing up who were adopted. My best friend from middle school was also adopted as were her two brothers. Adoption was so normal in my life it was no big deal.

I certainly hope that becoming half machine is not our only option.

The ring is lovely. Lapis?
    Yes with a eye formed with pupil and magnified looks like a reptile looking out at you all from the grain of the stone! I took it to see about having the eroded area filled but everyone that looks at it wants to own it so I just keep it now locked up all the time. I am not totally sure of the stone but its a hard rock I know that.

Thanks
    I have no items or info regarding those who made me. I was told they were "very young". Perhaps I have many siblings or half-siblings.