Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Let's Get Into It: Trump

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,244 Times in 922 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by jimmer
    yes, trump was chummy with lots of high ranking libs in NEW YORK.

he's a business guy and got along with all of them to succeed, for him, his family and business.
    Some types, the powers that be mostly, don't compromise.

They expect to be served and their members are rewarded "handsomely" for doing their biddings. The difference being that those in service do as they are told, they have no place negotiating terms even suggesting alternatives. Perhaps that is the fundamental reason why the law is depicted to be unyielding and absolute; an extension of this underlying philosophy exactly in place so that an orthodoxy can be established and/or strengthened.

Clearly ambiguity or vagueness in law [or biddings of the powers that be], are open to interpretations that render more options to those that are there to serve. And they know who's interest to keep in mind first and foremost. I don't expect Trump to be very different; he is not one of the powers that be. If he is not already within the ranks, he will figure out what he needs to do.

Being clever with the interpretation of some verbatim is a mind game some people play their whole life. As far as I know, the entire law profession engages in this game to some extent. Certainly religious followings do as well, in their interpretations of their scriptures. Generally, the more members are encouraged to find meanings for themselves, the less oppressed they are. Criticism of a prophet or god-like figure may have you decapitated in one level where in another it is part of a meaningful dialectic that renders new ways of interpreting other prerequisite verbatim.

But being clever is sometimes not such a good thing. Obama defied his handlers at least once; there was a news article where an armed individual is caught on the White House lawn or in one of the rooms or in an event and was caught by sheer luck. The intruder may even have access authentic secret service paperwork that could not have easily been forged. Behind the scenes: "of course that intruder person will do what he is told, to harm someone or to do something suspicious to get caught... There are many more lined up and waiting." The next question is whether he [Mr President] is also willing to do what is needed.

Between religion, social norms and how one engages their day to day life, one can draw a map that may permit them to know where they are in the grand pyramid of this order.

There are even jokes: "I want to be beautiful, rich and everyone to love me." Jinni then turns the wisher into a Magnum Ice Cream bar.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lcam88 For This Useful Post:

Dumpster Diver (24th December 2015), jimmer (24th December 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,116 Times in 3,777 Posts
    I'm sorry, do you believe those white house 'fence jumpers' were actually sent to assassinate or intimidate Obama?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimmer For This Useful Post:

Dumpster Diver (24th December 2015), lcam88 (24th December 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Believe is a terrible word. It implies the acceptance without actual solid evidence.

There is no solid evidence to suggest that the "fence jumpers" fit into a more sinister plot. But that does not mean that such a sinister plot does not actually exist. The fact is we can't know.

And likewise, we can't actually determine that the "fence jumpers" are part of a larger coordination of efforts. But we can't really discart the possibility either.

So I'm left with either accepting it as a random coincidence, a "face saving play" on my part to continue believing that things are as they appear, or exploring what I find to be more plausible: that there are no "random coincidences", and things are _not_ actually as they appear.

In that sense, it is not really a belief. It is just a logical conclusion or proposition based on very limited evidence.

There is quite a bit of evidence to suggest that initiation routines for some club memberships requires a demonstration of willingness and aptitude to do what is necessary, even in the face of great opposition.

And to suppose that "fence jumping" is an initiation routine of some kind is plausible. To then ignore using the opportunity is to waste an opportunity; in every disaster or tragedy there is also opportunity right?.

I think it would be quite interesting indeed to know what became of the jumper, what happened to the prosecution against him and where he stands now. That is something I'm going to look into. It certainly is evidence that we can ponder over in regards to this exchange.

Thanks the for the interesting question.

PS the original thesis that the "fence jumpers" was part of a larger coordination is not an idea originally of my contemplations. The idea was introduced to me by someone I follow online.

ADDENDUM

A 15 year suspended sentence followed by 10 years probation (which is nothing actually). Then 17 months in jail followed by the normal probation and "surrender your weapons" routine.

He starts his good behavior routine with a public apology and disappears from the radar of wikipedia.
    Last edited by lcam88, 24th December 2015 at 20:36. Reason: ADDENDUM

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lcam88 For This Useful Post:

Dumpster Diver (24th December 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,116 Times in 3,777 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by lcam88 View Post
    Believe is a terrible word. It implies the acceptance without actual solid evidence.

There is no solid evidence to suggest that the "fence jumpers" fit into a more sinister plot. But that does not mean that such a sinister plot does not actually exist. The fact is we can't know..
    thank you for your clarification.
    354 words to say, 'I don't know' ; )

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Has anyone read the recent Rolling Stone article on politics and the dynamics leading up to where we are now?

Based on my observations over the last couple decades, most conservatives don't have the cojones to admit how far astray their team has gone.

Trump's rhetoric may be refreshing to some. He'd make a terrible leader. He doesn't unite. He doesn't inspire (except for liberal haters).

That's about the last thing we need.

The idea of a 'permanent Republican majority' is inherently UnAmerican. Yet that was a major driving force among conservatives. Do we really want people like Bachman, Palin or Trump 'investigating Congress to see who's a real American"? That's the kind of crap they were championing.

Remember how speaking out against Bush's Iraq policies was called treasonous? Again, UnAmerican.

We don't need any more of this crap.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Elen (26th December 2015), lcam88 (26th December 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer
    Trump's rhetoric may be refreshing to some. He'd make a terrible leader. He doesn't unite.
    He polarizes.

Quote Originally posted by jimmer View Post
    thank you for your clarification.
    354 words to say, 'I don't know' ; )
    To say, it is not unreasonable to think so. And more to the point, it is more unreasonable not to think so.