Thread: How to build a fictional world - Kate Messner

Retired Member United States
    Thanks

Lightbulb How to build a fictional world - Kate Messner

Narratives,Narratives,Narratives...

I believe this helps build your world around you by using "depth of vision", and also spot worlds and stories built for you!

Whos story are you manifesting?

Why is J.R.R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings trilogy so compelling? How about The Matrix or Harry Potter? What makes these disparate worlds come alive are clear, consistent rules for how people, societies -- and even the laws of physics -- function in these fictional universes. Author Kate Messner offers a few tricks for you, too, to create a world worth exploring in your own words.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JByas For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (25th October 2015), bsbray (25th October 2015), Craig (26th October 2015), Dreamtimer (25th October 2015), Elen (26th October 2015), Frances (25th October 2015), jimmer (26th October 2015), Joanna (10th November 2015), pointessa (26th October 2015)

(account terminated) United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,648 Times in 2,895 Posts
    I might as well throw out here, since this video reminded me, that I have a programmer buddy in Israel, actually a student there going through a degree program for programming, and he's been wanting to create a 3rd party RPG for Linux for a while but of course can't do it alone. I think some artists are needed more than anything. Since on Linux everything is free, you just open the software manager and go to "games" and that's where it would be listed. I think it's a cool idea, a very intensely artistic endeavor really, to create a convincing fictional world for an RPG, and if anyone is interested they should contact me on Skype.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bsbray For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (26th October 2015), Elen (10th November 2015), jimmer (26th October 2015), Joanna (10th November 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,690 Times in 607 Posts
    Tolkien maintained that he built Middle Earth for his 'secret vice' - which was inventing languages. He said that for him the languages came first, and he then needed a world to put them in, and characters/peoples to speak them, and that from there he created the 'history of Middle Earth', projecting his languages through time, places and events that shaped and morphed them, like real world languages do. So his world building came from a total abiding passion; I read that he wrote some 3000 pages of words and language notes!
    I studied his Quenya (high elven) a bit - always found it exceptionally beautiful. It is actually listed as the second most spoken invented language in the world, after Esperanto. Tolkien would surely have been amazed that the languages he created for his own private enjoyment would one day be spoken in countries as far flung as Poland, Spain, Japan, Australia, South Korea, the US, Russia. Quenya is classified as an 'art language', and is indeed beautiful to write poetry in, and I've heard people from different countries say they could express emotions in it that they couldn't in their own languages....btw, Tolkien said he based Quenya on Finnish, ancient Greek, Latin and Hebrew...intuitively, I have long felt other resonances in it too...

I had the first three novels in a fantasy quartet published (the last book wasn't released, as the publishing house, in the US, unfortunately closed down early this year). The storyworld of those novels began when I was 8 years old...I had recurring dreams of the world, started drawing it, then writing at about 12, so it grew over decades, with characters coming into it, and their stories. I still love it to bits, and also realize in hindsight that it was the most wonderful 'self-training' for holding and sculpting a vision of the world we're living in here and now as joyful, peaceful, healed, multidimensionally unfolded etc...and to keep that vision very clear, detailed and steady in my heart...because, after all, that's what I did with a fictional world for decades!

Enjoy your worldbuilding, JByas...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joanna For This Useful Post:

bsbray (10th November 2015), Dreamtimer (10th November 2015), Elen (10th November 2015)