Thread: In praise of Manuka Honey

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,908 Times in 1,858 Posts

In praise of Manuka Honey

It is very rare that one comes across a genuine miracle cure for a number of ailments, but I have to put Manuka Honey in that category.

The ancients used honey as a potent disinfectant and antibiotic, however, Manuka Honey, from New Zealand, is unique in that it has extremely potent healing properties even in cases where traditional medicine might be of no help.

My flatmate in Singapore suffered from Gastroenteritis and stomach ulcers and was fully healed by taking a teaspoonful of Manuka Honey every night, even though he was scheduled for surgery.

I have been suffering from various IBS symptoms for the past 2 years, which I first thought was just dairy intolerance, but it got progressively worse and included bloating, stomach cramps, frequent diarrhoea, difficulty sleeping and a constant urge to pass stool, all the time.

I went to a number of doctors and naturopaths to get help, but nothing seemed to work. Either they alleviated the symptoms only, or provided temporary relief at best. My stool was checked for bacteria, but nothing could be found and nothing came up via blood tests or ultrasound either.

The only thing that helped was several courses of antibiotics, but the effect wore off after a week or two. Due to this, I suspected my symptoms were caused by gut bacteria that I might have picked up years ago, during my travels in the tropics, but it took time to express itself in a more serious manner, due to a weakened immune system as a result of undiagnosed diabetes and latterly a hospitalisation with covid.

A few months ago, I decided to try Manuka Honey, although it is generally recommended for stomach issues, such as ulcers, not necessarily for lower digestive tract issues. Since I also started suffering from persistent heartburn and excess stomach acid, I thought it might help at least with that.

Taking Manuka honey provided immediate relief, but I had to take it several times a day. I usually took a spoonful before meals, one before going to bed and if I was feeling particularly crap in the evening I had manuka honey on bread or toast for dinner. Every time I did the latter, I felt much better the day after.

I've been doing this for about two months now, and used up about a kilo of honey in the process, which is really expensive, but nothing else seems to have helped. There are various grades and strengths which you can try, if you need it specifically for healing, the stronger grades are recommended. Most companies that sell Manuka Honey online will provide a chart as to the recommended grades, depending on the severity of your symptoms.

The strongest grades cost hundreds of dollars/euros/pounds , but can be used to heal wounds, boils, ulcers and will even affect cancerous growth. Anecdotally, some people have been healed from stomach cancer by taking Manuka Honey.

Medical studies have only been done on rats, but its effect on treating stomach ulcers has been proven.

So, if you are suffering from IBS, ulcers, gastroenteritis, Chron's disease, bloating, reflux or any other digestive issues, you may want to try Manuka Honey to see if it works for you. At the very least, it should alleviate your symptoms and provide some relief.

One effect I noticed, is that every time I was suffering from an inflamed abdomen, taking the honey reduced the inflammation immediately and allowed me to sleep much better, so if you have difficulty sleeping due to your IBS, this will really help.

I can't say that I'm fully healed, but I've been pretty much symptom-free (in remission) for the past week or so, which never happened before.

Keep in mind, for the past two years I had to take Immodium, Degasin twice daily and active carbon tablets before going to bed, just to get any sleep at all (Usually 3-4 hours at best) and to be able to work, but even then I took about a dozen trips to the toilet during the day and 3-4 during the night. For the past week, this has not been the case, which is a huge relief.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th February 2022), Aragorn (23rd February 2022), Dreamtimer (23rd February 2022), Emil El Zapato (23rd February 2022), Wind (23rd February 2022)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I'm relieved for you, Chris. Thanks for the information. I've been getting raw and local honey when possible. I'll look into Manuka honey.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th February 2022), Aragorn (23rd February 2022), Chris (23rd February 2022), Emil El Zapato (23rd February 2022), Wind (23rd February 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,303 Times in 7,219 Posts
    I should try this sometime as stomach issues have been a persistent problem for me.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th February 2022), Aragorn (23rd February 2022), Chris (24th February 2022), Dreamtimer (23rd February 2022), Emil El Zapato (23rd February 2022)