Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTF!!! Torrent Trackers Ban Windows 10 Over Privacy Concerns

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Outlander View Post
    [...]

If you don’t wish to share any data whatsoever with Microsoft, you should not install these updates.
    More correct would be to say, "If you don't wish to share any data whatsoever with Microsoft, then you should never use any Microsoft products, including but not limited to any version of Microsoft Windows."

The same is true for Google, by the way.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Elen (12th November 2015), enjoy being (18th September 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,685 Times in 2,094 Posts
    I still recall one of the news reports floating about during the 9/11 (I'm making the effort to call it 12/9 though, as seen in the re-occurring numbers thread! lol) ...during the 12/9 "first few days". The report was one of those ones that suddenly died off. Initially it was regards a call by government to insure there was a backdoor system released by Microsoft to enable investigators to access the computers of any suspects of terrorism in the future. The call was repeated or entertained for a very short while..
    Well I just remember it coming up again, and the response, however it was worded was sort of like a mumbling of "There already is one" and then the topic never got mentioned again.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th September 2015)

Retired Member Netherlands
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,496 Times in 1,190 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Nothing View Post
    I still recall one of the news reports floating about during the 9/11 (I'm making the effort to call it 12/9 though, as seen in the re-occurring numbers thread! lol)
    Well, I'm absolutely sure that it was 11/9 where I live (Amsterdam) 'cos the next day - 12/9 - was/is my birthday and due to the 11/9 'incident' everybody had forgotten about that.

Which makes me in a way an indirect 9/11 victim...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Outlander For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th September 2015), Elen (12th November 2015), enjoy being (18th September 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Nothing View Post
    I still recall one of the news reports floating about during the 9/11 (I'm making the effort to call it 12/9 though, as seen in the re-occurring numbers thread! lol) ...during the 12/9 "first few days". The report was one of those ones that suddenly died off. Initially it was regards a call by government to insure there was a backdoor system released by Microsoft to enable investigators to access the computers of any suspects of terrorism in the future. The call was repeated or entertained for a very short while..
    Well I just remember it coming up again, and the response, however it was worded was sort of like a mumbling of "There already is one" and then the topic never got mentioned again.
    That is correct. All Windows versions based upon the NT kernel — i.e. Windows NT 3.x, NT 4.0, 2000 (NT 5.0), XP (NT 5.1), Vista (NT 6.0), 7 (NT 6.1), 8 (NT 6.2), 8.1 (NT 6.3) and 10 (NT 6.4, now re-versioned to NT 10.0) — have two backdoors built-in. One is for the NSA (to allow them to remotely take over your system in the name of national security — read: use your computer as part of a botnet for fighting cyber-wars), and one is for Microsoft itself (so that they can remotely push updates to your system or remove software from your system without your consent).

In addition to that, all Windows versions from XP onward do indeed send weekly reports to Microsoft regarding your usage of the machine that you paid for with your own money. The reports include (among other things) your IP address, the software you've got installed, the websites you regularly visit, and the hardware that your machine is made up of. The latter information concerns the amount of RAM in the machine, the brand and type of CPU, the brand and type of graphics adapter, the serial number of the motherboard, and the serial numbers of the hard disks and of the optical drive. The official explanation is that all of this is necessary so as to make sure that you're not running a pirated version of Windows or that you would be porting a Windows installation from an older machine to a new machine.

Apple isn't as bad as Microsoft in that regard, but they're not exactly innocent either. OS X also contains at least one known backdoor, which also allows Apple to push updates to your system without your consent. Furthermore, it also deserves to be mentioned that the installation of updates to an operating system requires what is called Administrator privileges in Windows, or root (superuser) privileges in a UNIX-style operating system. In other words, if Microsoft or Apple have the ability to install updates to your system without your consent, then they effectively have superuser control over the very machine that you paid for with your own money. Furthermore, you are not legally allowed to modify the software in order to prevent this from happening — even if you could, because the software is proprietary and comes in binary form only — because that would be a violation of the EULA ("end-user license agreement"), given that the software itself is still the property of respectively Microsoft or Apple. All that you own in that regard — and what you paid for when you bought your copy of Windows, MS-Office or whatever — is a license to use the software, as per the terms in the EULA. (The same is true for any other kind of proprietary software, e.g. Adobe Photoshop.)
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

enjoy being (18th September 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,685 Times in 2,094 Posts
    Yeah, I live in New Zealand, so we are one of the few countries where the event happened on the 12th of September because we are so close to the international date line.. Like right now it is 1.28 am on the 19th of September. The event in 2001 started at about 12.40 am on the 12th, so just made it to the 12th by 40 mins or so.

My condolences on your birthday theft!

Another weird thing which happened, or which I have only just noted, and it is I think probably just a personal anomaly, is that at time of the event in 2001 I was working on a TV movie production here in NZ and the title of it (well at least the working title) was called E-Team.
    Which I found in among the Israeli Artist material where the OTHER group of artists did the windows lit up in the WTC to spell E-Team.. in the section of windows/wall where the 1st plane hit? think it was the first plane.

The E-Team TV movie, I don't really know the plot, but the scene I was working on was where the E-Team, a crack secret soldier spy group were hiding out in some mountain cave that they had pitched a few tents in and made a big tech/lab base. There was some sort of prop device that had a fancy looking crystal in it. It was like some high tech black budget technology thing. All part of some fictitious movie plot... but I was pretty amazed to see E-Team a few days back when examining the Israeli Artist material.
    Not sure what happened to that film, I note there is a 2014 doco called E-Team, but the one I worked on was definitely before during and after the date of 12/9/01.
    Sorry, this is totally now in the wrong thread!
    Last edited by enjoy being, 18th September 2015 at 14:08.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th September 2015), Dreamtimer (13th October 2015)

Retired Member Netherlands
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,496 Times in 1,190 Posts
    Windows 10 Worst Features Installed 'Again' On Windows 7 And Windows 8
    Don’t want Windows 10 because of its excessive privacy invasions? Well those reasons have now disappeared but only because Microsoft is trying to bring them to Windows 7 and Windows 8 – for a second time…

Yes, in a quite bizarre move Infoworld spotted Microsoft has simultaneously reissued no less than four controversial user tracking patches for Windows 7 and Windows 8. Stranger still in an attempt to get them onto more computers, Microsoft has even reclassified one as ‘Important’ so it will now install automatically on any PCs and laptops running default Windows Update settings (read: the vast majority).

MS, it seems, is persisting in installing these updates. Makes no sense to me considering the outcry of 'privacy issues' with most recent OS.

KB 2952664 - a secret snooping patch first pushed to Windows 7 back in April. Officially described as merely a “compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7″, Infoworld discovered it actually adds a program to the Windows Task Scheduler called ‘DoScheduledTelemetryRun’ which sends usage information to Microsoft even for those who have specifically opted out of the Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP).

MS, it seems, is persisting in installing these updates. Makes no sense to me considering the outcry of 'privacy issues' with most recent OS.

CONTINUE: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...hootix&ref=yfp

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Outlander For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (13th October 2015), Dreamtimer (13th October 2015), Elen (12th November 2015), Zebowho (13th October 2015)