Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Movies That Have Stretched My Horizons And Have Stimulated Deep Thoughts About My Perceptions

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I happened to see some of an episode of The Magicians last night. I don't watch a lot of TV. It looks like a good one to watch with my sister-in-law when I go visit her.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,020 Times in 1,226 Posts
    Along with the 13th Floor, I missed this classic until recently:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt9HkO-cGGo

Also, this one was pretty good, and I like the show that spun off....to me, it seems to be same story/different vision than Cris Carter's X-Files and JJ Abrahms' Fringe...they seem to the progression of the same ideas, I'd even throw Alias in there...super secret special unit of some agency seeking/utilizing "occult" tech/"fringe" science):

What is the purpose of your presence?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donk For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (8th April 2016), RikkiTikkiTavi (8th April 2016)

Thanks
    Dark City looks good. (They all look so young!) I missed it, but that was when my son was little.

Didn't see Limitless or the one with Scarlett Johannson. Couldn't Bradley's character make the drug once he became limitless?

Thanks
    ***SPOILER ALERT***

He had an enzyme created (at great expense of time and $$) to manage the side effects of withdrawal (including blackouts that tended to lead to murder, followed by horrid, painful death), and mentioned tweaking the drug so that it's effect becomes permanent, so he therefore doesn't need to take the pills (so he says) when you meet him in the show.

The premise of the show is the star slacker dude is his tool cuz he gets the enzyme from Sen Morra (Bradley Cooper), who inserts him in the FBI who uses him on the drug while (presumably...they never really show him in a lab/medical setting) studying him to understand "why he's immune". His Dad is the head dude from Alias, and mom is Nina Sharp from Fringe. Good stuff
    Last edited by donk, 8th April 2016 at 18:31.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to donk For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (9th April 2016)

Thanks
    You spoil me, donk.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

donk (9th April 2016)

Thanks
    I just re-started Alias, since I finished round 3 of Fringe last night (Peter's pose at the end reaching his arms out for his young daughter is bizarre and creepy as ever, little taint on the final episode). Bradley Cooper is in that one too

Thanks
    Thanked 7,661 Times in 1,264 Posts
    Frank Capra is one of my favorite film makers.
    The Bitter Tea of General Yen
    Directed by Frank Capra
    The United States of America

There is an old Chinese saying that goes, “May you live in an interesting time.” This seemingly innocuous statement is not a blessing, but a curse. In a society that so values balance and stability, to live in a time of change and upheaval is to live in a time of great loss and hardship. As a character in Frank Capra’s forgotten The Bitter Tea of General Yen explains, “Life is cheap in China.” Set against the backdrop of the Chinese Civil War in the early 1930s, such is the situation that the characters in Capra’s film find themselves thrust into. But The Bitter Tea of General Yen does not limit itself to being set in a time of great upheaval. In fact, the film itself represented a monumental paradigm shift in the way that Hollywood approached interracial relationships. As one of the first films to depict interracial sexual attraction, it originally tanked at the box office. The public was not ready, or not willing, to entertain the idea that people of different races could fall in love, or lust. Since its release, Capra would go on to direct many great American classics, such as It Happened One Night (1934) and It’s a Wonderful Life (1946). But to those who know, The Bitter Tea of General Yen is one of Capra best, and most daring, films.
    I found it here I have an ad block so am not sure if there are ads......

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maggie For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (22nd May 2016), Elen (22nd May 2016), sandy (22nd May 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,406 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Nope>>no Ads>>thanks Maggie The Movie was quite poignant, I ejoyed it!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sandy For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (22nd May 2016), Elen (22nd May 2016)

(account terminated)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 359 Posts
    Sorry no movie but:

Otto Reuter 1870 - 1931