Page 49 of 205 FirstFirst ... 39464748495051525999149 ... LastLast

Thread: The One Truth's Lounge Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th July 2018), Aragorn (2nd July 2018), Dreamtimer (2nd July 2018), Elen (2nd July 2018), Kathy (3rd July 2018), Wind (2nd July 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Here's a real switcho chango...This is probably my all time favorite 'soul' song. 2 of them.

Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 2nd July 2018 at 00:36.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th July 2018), Aragorn (2nd July 2018), Dreamtimer (2nd July 2018), Elen (2nd July 2018), Kathy (3rd July 2018), Wind (2nd July 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    An older Toto song with a somewhat sad video. There's a cookie for whoever is first in naming the actor who plays the fugitive. But no cheating, please — you must name him right after watching the video, without consulting YouTube, Wikipedia or any other sources.

Hint: There's a bit of a clue within this very post somewhere.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th July 2018), Dreamtimer (3rd July 2018), Elen (3rd July 2018), Emil El Zapato (3rd July 2018), Kathy (3rd July 2018), modwiz (3rd July 2018)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Dude who played Worm Tongue. Can't recall his name. I saw the bulgy eyes and I had to look again, then I remembered.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th July 2018), Aragorn (3rd July 2018), Elen (3rd July 2018), Emil El Zapato (3rd July 2018), Kathy (3rd July 2018), modwiz (3rd July 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Dude who played Worm Tongue. Can't recall his name. I saw the bulgy eyes and I had to look again, then I remembered.
    Brad Doureff is his name, if memory serves me correctly. He was also in the Dune movie.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th July 2018), Aragorn (3rd July 2018), Dreamtimer (3rd July 2018), Elen (3rd July 2018), Kathy (3rd July 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    Brad Doureff is his name, if memory serves me correctly. He was also in the Dune movie.
    More correctly spelled, it's Brad Dourif, and yes, he played Grima Wormtongue, as well as (the spirit who possessed) Chuckie, and several other bad guys.

The cookie goes to our sister Dreamtimer, although she may want to share it with Radagast, so I'll make it an extra big one.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th July 2018), Dreamtimer (3rd July 2018), Elen (3rd July 2018), Kathy (3rd July 2018), modwiz (3rd July 2018)

Thanks
    Is it a lembas cookie? The whole forum could share...

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th July 2018), Aragorn (3rd July 2018), Elen (3rd July 2018), Kathy (3rd July 2018), modwiz (3rd July 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    More correctly spelled, it's Brad Dourif, and yes, he played Grima Wormtongue, as well as (the spirit who possessed) Chuckie, and several other bad guys.
    Thank you. Something felt 'off', as if the recall was too easy.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th July 2018), Aragorn (3rd July 2018), Dreamtimer (3rd July 2018), Elen (3rd July 2018), Kathy (3rd July 2018)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,106 Times in 484 Posts
    I love this! Unique, fearless...Maggie Rogers submits a song she wrote just 8 days before presenting it to the Masterclass and Pharrell Williams in this video...

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Melidae For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th July 2018), Aragorn (3rd July 2018), Dreamtimer (3rd July 2018), Elen (4th July 2018), modwiz (3rd July 2018)

Thanks
    This is Toto's latest single, from their "40 Trips Around The Sun" album. Joseph William's vocals are really great on this track — he sounds just like he did in the late 1980s, before he completely lost his voice due to an interaction between the flu and his cocaine habit at the time. He's definitely made a great comeback. Lukather's solo is brilliant too.

This song gives me goosebumps, because it partly reflects my life right now.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlFU8fPGezk

I woke up Sunday morning
    Another twenty years gone by
    Pulled myself out of my bed
    It's getting harder every time

Grabbed my phone but there's no messages at all
    Then I realized there's no one left to call

Woah woah
    Seems like things ain't what they used to be
    Woah woah
    Can't cry anymore
    I'm alone
    Woah woah
    Where did everyone go?

I try to walk every morning
    And no one looks me in the eye
    It feels like love just left the world
    And I can't help but wonder why

I have that dream again where I begin to fall
    And on the way down like the meaning of it all

Woah woah
    No things ain't what they used to be
    Woah woah
    Can't cry anymore
    I'm alone
    Woah woah
    Where did everyone go?

I fell asleep last night and woke up in the fall
    Turned my head and blinked and now there stands a wall

Woah woah
    Seems like things ain't what they used to be
    Woah woah
    I can't cry anymore
    I'm alone
    Woah woah
    Where did everyone go?
    Woah woah
    Where did everyone go?

(Lyrics by AZlyrics)

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th July 2018), Dreamtimer (3rd July 2018), Elen (4th July 2018), modwiz (3rd July 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Melidae View Post
    I love this! Unique, fearless...Maggie Rogers submits a song she wrote just 8 days before presenting it to the Masterclass and Pharrell Williams in this video...

I have a friend who's from the Eastern Shore. I wonder if his family knows this woman.

Pharrell looks pleased.
    Last edited by Dreamtimer, 3rd July 2018 at 22:31.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th July 2018), Aragorn (3rd July 2018), Elen (4th July 2018), Melidae (4th July 2018), modwiz (3rd July 2018)

Thanks
    Wow, Joseph's voice does sound really good. I didn't know about his problems. Those lyrics are kinda sad, although the song doesn't have a very sad feel to it.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th July 2018), Aragorn (3rd July 2018), Elen (4th July 2018)

Thanks

Lightbulb

Just a quick heads-up, guys... When you're replying to a post with more than one video in it, then you must delete the videos from the quoted portion of your reply, because this version of vBulletin has a nasty bug, which causes your own reply to appear inside the quotes if the quotes contain more than one video.

As a bonus, removing the videos from the quotes also makes the page load (much) faster in your browser, because you have to keep into account that for every video embedded here, your browser must contact YouTube and several other Google-owned servers multiple times in order to pull in the video thumbnails and park the whole video stream itself inside its cache — or at least, insofar as the video's file size fits inside the cache — so that it would be ready for immediate playback.

Your browser cache itself physically lives on your hard disk (or solid state disk), but your operating system maintains its own cache in RAM of the most frequently and/or recently used data on your hard disk (or solid state disk) at any given point, given that RAM access is always going to be significantly faster than accessing anything directly from a hard disk (or solid state disk). But your computer's RAM is of course far more limited in size than your hard disk (or solid state disk), and so the operating system has to be careful about what it keeps in its cache and what not.

By consequence — and as an additional consideration — if a thread page here on the forum with many videos is loaded into your browser cache, then the RAM-based cache of the operating system for this browser cache data will quickly be depleted, which means that the data from the RAM-based cache will have to be synchronized with the physical storage on the hard disk (or solid state disk).

It is possible to delay this process through the technique of swapping out the contents of your RAM in order to free up more RAM — in UNIX systems (macOS included), by writing the contents of the RAM to the swap partition, and in Microsoft Windows, by writing to the swap file — but the end-result for the user is essentially the same. This means that your system will have to perform a lot of disk I/O to first write that data to the disk and then, when selecting a video to be played, it must swap out some more of the data in RAM in order to free up even more RAM for loading the originally swapped out data back into memory as needed. This causes a lot of overhead for the operating system on your computer, and by consequence, your computer will be slowing down significantly.

Strictly speaking, your quotes should only contain what is necessary for anyone reading your posts to know what exactly you are replying to, and you can always use placeholders like "[...]" or "[video removed]" where needed. And so now, with my technical explanation above, you have two (very good) reasons for trimming your quotes.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th July 2018), Dreamtimer (3rd July 2018), Elen (4th July 2018), Melidae (4th July 2018), modwiz (3rd July 2018)

Thanks
    Wow, Joseph's voice does sound really good. I didn't know about his problems.
    Yeah, Toto hasn't been very lucky with their singers — and not just with that. Their original singer and co-founder, Bobby Kimball, was arrested on drug charges in an FBI sting operation in the early 1980s, and although the charges were later on dropped, Kimball was facing trial for a while. So they needed a new singer, and then they hired Dennis "Fergie" Fredriksen, with whom they did the "Isolation" album. Fredriksen also contributed to their next album, "Stranger In Town", but eventually Toto fired him because they felt that they didn't mesh well with him in the studio. (Fredriksen died of cancer in 2014, by the way.)

Then they hired Joseph Williams — who is the son of film composer John Williams, known from (among others) the Star Wars theme. Joseph was one of their high school buddies. But then that mix of having the flu in combination with his cocaine habit completely killed his voice and he couldn't sing anymore.

Needing to replace Joe, Toto wanted to reunite with Bobby Kimball, but their record company insisted that they instead hire South-African singer Jean-Michel Byron, with whom they released the single "All Out Of Love" and did a tour. However, Byron is gay, and his exaggerated diva-like stage antics didn't sit well with the band. They felt that it hurt their reputation. So then Byron was relegated to the role of backing vocalist for a while, while Steve Lukather chose to become the full-time lead singer for the next album.

After that, the band went through some significant changes, starting with the death of drummer and co-founder Jeff Porcaro — the story as published by Toto themselves was that he had inhaled pesticides when spraying his garden, but the official coroner's report states the cause of death as arterial hardening as the result of cocaine abuse. The band was about to fall apart, but at the request of the Porcaro family — with Steve Porcaro having left the band earlier to pursue a career in composing movie music and Mike Porcaro having taken over the bass guitar from Toto's original bassist David Hungate — Steve Lukather took over leadership of the band, and they hired British session drummer Simon Phillips as a permanent replacement for Jeff Porcaro.

Then, even though Bobby Kimball eventually returned as lead singer, keyboard player and co-founder David Paich was forced to refrain from touring with the band in order to spend more time with a very ill family member, and bass player Mike Porcaro was diagnosed with ALS. That's when Steve Lukather officially disbanded Toto, saying that "With Paich gone and without at least one Porcaro in the band, I can't go on stage and play "Hold The Line" with a straight face anymore. It's not Toto anymore."

However, with some convincing from the other members and with Steve Porcaro returning to the band, Toto was brought back together for a reunion tour, with Joseph Williams returning to the band and replacing Bobby Kimball. Although both singers have their strengths, Steve Lukather felt that Joseph's voice carries a bigger punch, and he wanted to have that power back at the front stage that Toto had in the late 1980s, when Joseph Williams sang such Toto success hits as "Can't Stop Loving You", "Pamela", "Mushanga" and "Home Of The Brave". As a replacement for Mike Porcaro — who was by now nearing the end of his life — they hired session bass player Nathan East.

Drummer Simon Phillips has in the meantime left the band again after more than 20 years in order to further his solo career. He was initially replaced by Shannon Forrest on tour, but for their latest album, Toto hired veteran session drummer Vinnie Colaiuta, who has toured with (among others) Jeff Beck, Chick Corea and Herbie Hancock. Original Toto bassist David Hungate has also returned for the new album, but I don't know whether he plans on sticking around, given that he initially left the band because the touring was taking him away from his family too long. Of course, that was a long time ago, and priorities change, as does life itself.

Those lyrics are kinda sad, although the song doesn't have a very sad feel to it.
    Well, I guess that's a matter of perspective. Personally I do find the song to have a quite dramatic vibe to it, both in terms of chord progressions and melody, and in terms of the synthesizer and guitar arrangements.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th July 2018), Elen (4th July 2018), Melidae (4th July 2018), modwiz (4th July 2018)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Just a quick heads-up, guys... When you're replying to a post with more than one video in it, then you must delete the videos from the quoted portion of your reply, because this version of vBulletin has a nasty bug, which causes your own reply to appear inside the quotes if the quotes contain more than one video.

Strictly speaking, your quotes should only contain what is necessary for anyone reading your posts to know what exactly you are replying to, and you can always use placeholders like "[...]" or "[video removed]" where needed. And so now, with my technical explanation above, you have two (very good) reasons for trimming your quotes.
    Thanks...now it's all making sense to me, and thanks for taking the time to find that out Aragorn!

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th July 2018), Aragorn (4th July 2018), Melidae (4th July 2018)