Thanked 37,163 Times in 7,350 Posts

Lightbulb

Daylight Saving Time Is Absolutely the Worst - The Jim Jefferies Show

"Jim has had it up to here with daylight saving time."

Comedy Central
    Published on Mar 5, 2019

3:21 minutes

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th March 2019), Dreamtimer (6th March 2019), Elen (6th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (5th March 2019), Kathy (6th March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    ... I will, and I suppose that is a legitimate admonition. The context in which it is offered is a little askew though. A rejection of 'apparent' evil can be a 'wise' choice emanating from a place to see and do good from a human perspective...We can call it 'humanistic', 'secular', or 'spiritual'.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th March 2019), Dreamtimer (6th March 2019), Elen (6th March 2019), Kathy (6th March 2019)

Thanks

LOL

Memories of ...

Sammy Hagar

Rock The Nation

Montrose

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th March 2019), Dreamtimer (6th March 2019), Elen (6th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (5th March 2019), Kathy (6th March 2019)

Thanks
    Chickenfoot - HighwayStar

2012 sees the 40th anniversary of the release of this landmark album and in recognition of the influence of the band, and that of "Machine Head" in particular, some of rock music's biggest names have each contributed a version of their favourite track on the album to create "Re-Machined -- A Tribute To Deep Purple's Machine Head".

A Tribute To Deep Purple's Machine Head". A "Re-Machined" highlights is this specially recorded live performance of 'Highway Star' by Chickenfoot, an American rock supergroup consisting of former Van Halen members Sammy Hagar (vocals) and Michael Anthony (bass), solo artist Joe Satriani (guitar) and Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith.'

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th March 2019), Dreamtimer (6th March 2019), Elen (6th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (6th March 2019), Kathy (6th March 2019)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 434 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post

And this is because the US far right, as ultraconservatives, have a very unhealthy fixation on and obsession with other people's sex life.
    I might say U don't know how right U are... but... I know better... cuz I know U know...

It is something they've taken over from the CIA, who were the first to start deploying that tactic, and for that matter, even as early as the 1960s. The conservative wing in the United States of America identifies with masculinity and machismo ─ hence the American desire to be the ruler of the world, and of course, this is once again an ostensible property of all fascist regimes. It also ties in with the American glorification of the military, and especially of the US Marine Corps.
    Well... i'd argue the see-eye-eh were far from the 1st but that just goes off on a tangent. The roots of this go waaaay back.... but, yeah, the reflections have taken to quite intimidating forms since the end of the war to end all wars. The one where the bomb showed up and went... BANG...

It's no accident that the majority of ultraconservatives in the U.S. are also religious fanatics of one stripe or another, and to one degree of fanaticism or another... but... are, predominately christian.... of one stripe or another. But there are glaring commonalities and it is to these that we need to look to begin to see the unseen.

One of the most glaring is what I call the Die To Live imprint. Modeled by their poster child for mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa... the christ, hisself... who gave his life in crucifixion upon a cross to atone for our sins and that we may have life everlasting... after we die first a'course... or... so the story goes... and such as the price is. This plays out in many forms from the grunts in the military willing to die for U 'n me 'n freedom to the born agains to the evans and on and on.

Admittedly, it's not limited to christians... but... they happen to have it in spades.

Its one of the most glaring flim flams ever, I tell ya!! But hardly anybody recognizes it for what it is... the ultimate, denial of self.

And let us least not forget... who's the bad guy??? ...well... that's not really a fair way to ask... cuz he's really a she... u know, the one with the apple. And just what does that apple represent???

… DESIRE...

For HER a'course.

Especially...

SEXUALLY!!

Just ask the Al Pachino character in Scent of a Woman... now there's a guy who had a healthy appreciation for... well, HER. He knew she made the world go round for the man that he was and he both respected and honored her for it. She drips with sweet essence and he was both crazy for it and humbled by it.

How do the conservative christians see her? Well, the catholics are so down on her and what she represents to them that their clergy makes a vow of chastity. Oh, they acknowledge her... BUT... only as a VIRGIN. Which means what???

...no sex had by the blessed one...

What about the rest that aren't catholic? Anybody see Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ? I can't think of a christian denomination that doesn't buy into the passion narrative in one way or another. I don't think Gibson was conscious at all of what I saw him portraying in the opening scenes...

It's late in the evening after the supper. The opening scene is in the garden - an irony in itself but we don't need to get off on a tangent, not when there are more chilling ironies about to unfold.

The christ is in extreme anguish. He knows what's about to go down. There's a short interchange between the christ and the apostles, all of whom he has found sleeping... for which he feels abandoned... but there's an even bigger abandonment about to come.

In the meantime, the betrayal. The scene cuts to Judus and the deal to give up the christ by revealing where he is for 30 pieces of silver.

The scene then cuts back to the garden and the christ, in his agony, beseeching...

Hear me Father
    Rise up, defend me
    Save me from the traps they set for me

Then a new character, a veiled character wearing a floor length gown that could pass for male or female. appears and sez to him...

Do U really believe
    that one man can bear the full burden of sin?

With eyes raised to the heavens, he sez...

Shelter me, O lord
    I trust in you
    In you I take refuge

The veiled one sez...

No man can carry this burden, I tell you.
    It is far too heavy.
    Saving their souls is too costly.
    No one, ever
    No
    Never

Him, again, with head raised, arms reaching upwards, he begs...

Father, You can do all things
    If it is possible, let this chalice pass from me
    But let Your Will be done, NOT MINE

He collapses to the ground...

The veiled one peers down upon him. Asks..

Who is your father?
    Who are you?

He rises... slowly, painfully to his knees in anguish. He is speaking in Hebrew as he and the veiled one have been all along. Captions roll across the bottom of the screen, interpreting in English for us.

But not this time. As he speaks in Hebrew there is no translation. The camera closes in on the face of the veiled one and slowly begins to pan downward until it reaches the bare feet, barely visible just beneath the gown. The head of a serpent, tongue flicking, slowly appears from under the gown and slithers across the ground to the christ.

The camera follows. Then... pan to the veiled one who watches intently.

Pan back to the serpent which crawls onto the hands of the christ, clenched in the dirt, who is still speaking in Hebrew. Raises itself toward his face. He becomes aware of the serpent and begins to rise, fists clenched, eyes portraying a terrified rage.

Pan back to the veiled one who watches in anticipation. Which way will he go? What will he choose to do?

Pan back to the christ. Gone is the terror. Only the rage remains in his eyes, on his face, taking over his entire body and demeanor. It intensifies. He looks down upon the serpent, quickly raises a sandaled foot and stomps down hard, smashing the serpent's head with a final, crushing sound.

The camera pans back to where the veiled one was only to find no one there.

That's far enough. You all know the rest of the narrative.

And now I'm gonna tell you what I saw... and I can assure, such was NOT Gibson's conscious intent to portray...

The veiled one is female. Might say the same one in that other garden that came before. I'll even go so far as to say she mighta been the christ's Will. His Feminine. (Yeah, I know, that's quite a stretch and begs unpackin' at the very least. But for now... hey... I'm an old man... so... humor me.)

Where did that serpent come from? From up there, maybe... about half way up, under that gown? And what temptation does it represent? Could it be that same ole apple from the first garden?

Right here is where sex is thrown outside of love.
    And guess where the christ got it from?

Oh, but there's more...

But let your Will be done, NOT MINE.

Name me one christian who doesn't subscribe to exactly that!!

There's this thing in the Big Book of the brother and sisterhood of the empty chalice called the 3rd step prayer. It's not the 3rd step. It's a prayer that goes something like...

God, I offer myself to Thee to do with me as Thou wilt
    Releive me of the bondage of self so that I may better do Your Will
    Take away my difficulties that victory over them may bear witness
    to Your Will, Your power, and to Your way of life
    May I do Your Will always

I adopted that prayer as a mantra. Said it regular... and in between, whenever life got dicey, i'd say it. And it helped. Then suddenly, yet, slowly, I began to feel uncomfortable saying it. Vague at first but increasing in intensity. Every time i'd say the mantra i'd get this uncomfortable feeling. Like something was bad wrong. This went on for weeks. Finely, one day... the question hit me...

Maybe... just maybe... God's Will is for me to do my Will?

I felt a whole lot better after that and i've never once repeated that mantra again. I attribute this particular epiphany to saving my life. That along with the works of Alice Miller who I cited just recently here on TOT.

There were others that came before that, that had led directly to getting sober in one night in the back of my truck after 27 years of being trapped in the prison of the obsession of having to have alcohol available to me 24/7.

And there were others that came later. Most significantly,, I came upon a book titled Right Use of
    Will
    . It contained passages like this one on pg i of the intro...

Most people on Earth have made a separation between their Spirit and their Will. They have believed their own Will was not acceptable and that to love in the way that God loves, they must eliminate their own feelings and opinions and do what they have imagined to be the Will of God. An understanding is needed here: The Will of God is not in opposition to the Will of the individual.

So, yeah, what Aragorn said is dead on from where I'm lookin....
    Last edited by palooka's revenge, 6th March 2019 at 13:15.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to palooka's revenge For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th March 2019), Dreamtimer (6th March 2019), Elen (6th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (6th March 2019), Kathy (6th March 2019), starry night (15th March 2019)

Thanks
    Truth can be only a matter of faith, Palooka. That's where I coming from. I need to take that Leap of Faith because any translation through a human is suspect and can't be fully relied upon.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th March 2019), Dreamtimer (6th March 2019), Elen (6th March 2019), Kathy (15th March 2019), palooka's revenge (6th March 2019)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    Truth can be only a matter of faith, Palooka. That's where I coming from. I need to take that Leap of Faith because any translation through a human is suspect and can't be fully relied upon.
    absolutely!!

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to palooka's revenge For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th March 2019), Dreamtimer (6th March 2019), Elen (6th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (6th March 2019), Kathy (15th March 2019)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Wow, palooka. I haven't actually see that movie so thank you for playing that scene out. Well done. And I really appreciate your insight.

My mom tried late in life to press the idea of "Thy will, not mine" with me. I was confused because my parents had raised me to think for myself and be responsible for myself, my words, my actions and my beliefs. Now, suddenly, there was this.

My mother had personal struggles which she could not overcome on her own and thus this was useful to her. But it wasn't to me.

In fact, if I was ever 'angry' at God it would be for taking away peoples' will. I eventually realized it was the people giving up their will.

It's sooooo much easier to commit acts you would never normally do if you can just give credit to God. So easy.

But in the end, I think folks will find it's not the God they thought it was.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th March 2019), Elen (6th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (6th March 2019), Kathy (15th March 2019), palooka's revenge (6th March 2019)

Thanks
    Hi DT,

yes, I agree...I saw the movie and later discussed it with a co-worker that had seen it also. We discussed if we would let our children see it. He said, yes and I said no.

The movie was brutal...I could barely watch it.

I was taking a philosophy/religion class and during one session (our Jesuit professor) asked the class to imagine ourselves as 'Christ on the Cross'. I nearly cried...it was embarrasing as hell, but there you have it.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th March 2019), Dreamtimer (6th March 2019), Elen (6th March 2019), Kathy (15th March 2019), palooka's revenge (6th March 2019)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Wow, palooka. I haven't actually see that movie so thank you for playing that scene out. Well done. And I really appreciate your insight.

My mom tried late in life to press the idea of "Thy will, not mine" with me. I was confused because my parents had raised me to think for myself and be responsible for myself, my words, my actions and my beliefs. Now, suddenly, there was this.

My mother had personal struggles which she could not overcome on her own and thus this was useful to her. But it wasn't to me.

In fact, if I was ever 'angry' at God it would be for taking away peoples' will. I eventually realized it was the people giving up their will.

It's sooooo much easier to commit acts you would never normally do if you can just give credit to God. So easy.

But in the end, I think folks will find it's not the God they thought it was.

I eventually realized it was the people giving up their will.
    bingo...

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to palooka's revenge For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th March 2019), Dreamtimer (7th March 2019), Elen (6th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (6th March 2019), Kathy (15th March 2019)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts

Michael Jackson - Billie Jean (30th Anniversary Celebration) (Remastered Widescreen)

Wow a sideways moonwalk.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th March 2019), Dreamtimer (11th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (13th March 2019), Kathy (15th March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,975 Times in 20,256 Posts
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (14th March 2019), Elen (13th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (14th March 2019), Kathy (15th March 2019)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    UMBP Publishing sez no way jack...

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to palooka's revenge For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (13th March 2019), Dreamtimer (14th March 2019), Elen (14th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (13th March 2019)

Thanks
    my brother is still mad at me about liking Kansas equal to the Eagles...he won't let it go...

I know it ain't cool to be a Michael Jackson fan and it hasn't been for a very long time...but he ranks with the all time greats:

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (14th March 2019), Dreamtimer (14th March 2019), Elen (14th March 2019), Kathy (15th March 2019)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Michael is being smeared even though he's in the grave. It's sad.

This is for the doers:

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (14th March 2019), Elen (15th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (14th March 2019), Kathy (15th March 2019)