Page 62 of 205 FirstFirst ... 12525960616263646572112162 ... LastLast

Thread: The One Truth's Lounge Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 80,974 Times in 20,256 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    I dedicate the song here-below to all those people who hate me — you know who you are...

[...]
    And this one too.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_0LUWOniQM

YOU... SHALL... NOT... BASS!!!
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (3rd March 2019), Elen (1st March 2019), Emil El Zapato (4th March 2019)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 434 Posts
    Mickey Newbury... one of my all-time fav singer songwriters and always will be. A singer songwriter's singer songwriter actually. Word was when artists got together to do what they used to call guitar pulls, when it came Mickey's turn everybody set their instruments down and never picked 'em up again. All they wanted to do was listen to Mickey. He was operatin' from a whole other layer.

He could take a subject and write about the down side. Then turn right around and write one about the upside. Then marry those words with melody and that incredibly powerful tenor voice of his to produce...

ménage à trois...

Threesomes usually don't work out between people. But left to our own devices we all manage to become skilled in the art of living with a menagerie within.

In both cases, up or down, he achieved dimension in a way that it touches every fiber of my being and every aspect of that menagerie inside me. His work has a way of grounding me in a way I cant really explain. It's exists in a reality beyond words. I can only feel it... but somehow, that's enough. Plenty enough.

A consistent theme woven throughout the totality of his work was... memories.

On the upside...

Sweet Memories...

She slipped into the silence, of my dreams last night
    wandering from room to room, turning on each light
    Her laughter spills like water falls, from the river to the sea
    I'm swept away from sadness, clinging to her memory

Google the song and you'll find covers by willie, andy williams, ray charles, roy orbison, brook benton, everly brothers and more. But you won't find Mickey unless you add his name to the search.

On the downside...

Some Memories Are Better Left Alone...

All the smoke from burnin' bridges, makes it hard to catch my breath
    But the precious love I'm missin', Is chokin' me to death
    Oh you're still my strongest weakness, and I'll love you 'til I'm gone
    But I'll have to remember, some things are better left alone

Nights When I Am Sane is another one. I used that song to grieve my brother after he killed himself because he couldn't stand the hurt any more.... or... so it is my take in the matter. Then I wrote about it here. I often wonder had I done that grieving ahead of time, he might still be here. Had we grieved together the hurt we shared in common growing up, maybe he'd still be alive. Then again, given the nature of some of that pain, maybe he's the lucky one...

I'm just one man sometimes I wish I was three
    I could take a 44 pistol to me
    put one in my brain for her memory
    one more in my heart and I will be free

And then there are songs that stand alone. The one linked below is one of those. A dirge to a whore and the pimp who owns her. A sinister requiem for a patriarchy gone mad. Makes me wonder... how far back does this story go? Is there an original cause event? If we rolled this movie back would it take us all the way back to the original godhead???

I once wrote this somewhere here on TOT...

god said...
    I am not perfect
    palooka sez...
    oh, but creation is
    god said...
    oh, I see you've met my wife

Now, that's a comforting acknowledgement... kinda adds a whole new dimension to the party too, eh?

BUT... did he really accept her as such back then???

BANG...

Last edited by palooka's revenge, 3rd March 2019 at 05:39.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to palooka's revenge For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (3rd March 2019), Dreamtimer (3rd March 2019), Elen (3rd March 2019), Emil El Zapato (4th March 2019), Kathy (5th March 2019)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    R.I.P. your brother, Palooka. That was beautiful and heartfelt. Thank you for sharing that!

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (3rd March 2019), Dreamtimer (3rd March 2019), Emil El Zapato (4th March 2019), Kathy (5th March 2019), palooka's revenge (3rd March 2019)

Thanks
    I discovered this song through the movie "The Prophecy" in 1995, even though it ─ the song ─ was originally released in 1959. It was later covered by many other bands, among whom The Shadows. And given that I can't seem to sleep for longer than two hours these days...

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (4th March 2019), Elen (4th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (4th March 2019), Gio (4th March 2019), Kathy (5th March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 37,157 Times in 7,350 Posts
    Ah ...

The mesmerizing Santo & Johnny 'Sleep Walk' ...

Whenever hearing it always beckons me back to another era ...

I remember as a boy listening to this repeatedly (at my Aunt Annie & Uncle Nick's truck stop diner) back in early 1960 ... I would sit on a counter stool up against their giant dining room Wurlitzer jukebox ... The seemingly live sound/vibrations stirring from the huge lower console speaker of this original - Strum my soul with its simplistic but ever driving beat ... A classic rendition forever etched upon a young mind ...

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (4th March 2019), Dreamtimer (4th March 2019), Elen (4th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (4th March 2019), Kathy (5th March 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by giovonni View Post
    Ah ...

The mesmerizing Santo & Johnny 'Sleep Walk' ...

Whenever hearing it always beckons me back to another era ...
    Me too, Brother. It puts me right back in the 1950s, even though I wasn't even born yet at that time. But I do still vividly remember my days as a young boy, visiting my maternal grandmother, who lived right next to the local soccer club's clubhouse café, and they had a jukebox there that would be playing all day long. It was so loud (and clear) that it almost sounded like it was sitting right there in my grandmother's living room. Anything that was popular in those days was in that jukebox, but also some older stuff, like Buddy Holly's "Oh Boy" and "Peggy Sue", and Neil Diamond's "Cracklin' Rosie".

Likewise, when we went on our annual summer vacation to the coast ─ always at the same holiday resort ─ the cafeteria there also had a jukebox that would virtually be playing all day long, and the biggest hits there were "Apache" by The Shadows, "Sugar Baby Love" by The Rubettes, "Diana" by Paul Anka, "Oh Carol" by Neil Sedaka and "Queen For Tonight" by Helen Shapiro.

Ahhh, the days of innocence, when I was still blissfully ignorant of life's ugliness.

Quote Originally posted by giovonni View Post
    I remember as a boy listening to this repeatedly (at my Aunt Annie & Uncle Nick's truck stop diner) back in early 1960 ... I would sit on a counter stool up against their giant dining room Wurlitzer jukebox ... The seemingly live sound/vibrations stirring from the huge lower console speaker of this original - Strum my soul with its simplistic but ever driving beat ... A classic rendition forever etched upon a young mind ...
    One of the reasons why those old Wurlitzers sounded so great was that they still used valve/tube amplification. The vacuum tubes add considerably to the harmonic content, creating a louder, richer and overall much warmer sound, and with lots of headroom too. That's why most electric guitarists today still prefer playing through a tube amplifier.

I still have my parents' old tube-driven radio sitting somewhere in my garage. I'm not sure on the exact vintage, but it's probably from the very early 1960s. It was already there in the old black & white photos from when I was still a baby, so they couldn't have bought it any later than the (northern) spring of 1963, which is when I was born. One of my mom's cousins had an electronics shop at the time, so they may have bought it from him.

I took that radio with me when my brother and I cleaned out our parents' house after they had both passed away, and it was still fully functional at that point. It does need some time to warm up, though, and it's got one of those "green eye" things to help you tune into a station, as well as separate bass and treble controls and big, fat pushbuttons to select long wave, medium wave, short wave or FM. I'm not sure on the brand, but I think it may be a Philips.

Like I said, Bro, the days of innocence and blissful ignorance.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (4th March 2019), Elen (4th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (4th March 2019), Gio (4th March 2019), Kathy (5th March 2019)

(account terminated) England
    Thanks
    It is lovely to see people here who are so apparently unscathed , despite suffering the most appalling music experiences when young .
    Life can be so cruel -- so sad .
    But congratulations for not having committed suicide -- such memories would irreparably scar most souls for eternity .
    Paul Anka and Helen Shapiro --- used by the CIA to extract quick confessions when played at max volume . The Shadows were used in North Vietnam and are the main reason the Americans lost .

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Christopher For This Useful Post:

Kathy (5th March 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Christopher View Post
    It is lovely to see people here who are so apparently unscathed , despite suffering the most appalling music experiences when young .
    Thou hast no taste. But to each his own, I guess.

Life can be so cruel -- so sad .
    Then why make it even crueler by being so cynical ─ and with glee, to boot?

But congratulations for not having committed suicide -- such memories would irreparably scar most souls for eternity .
    Quod erat demonstrandum. And just for the record, having had to live the life I've lived and am still living, it is indeed remarkable that I haven't committed suicide. But if I had, then it wouldn't have been because of the music.

Paul Anka and Helen Shapiro --- used by the CIA to extract quick confessions when played at max volume .
    When using sound at maximum volume as a means of torture, it doesn't really matter all that much what that sound is.

The Shadows were used in North Vietnam and are the main reason the Americans lost .
    You can't possibly believe that nonsense. The Americans lost the Vietnam War because they had no business being there in the first place, and because they were so arrogant that they thought they could defeat the Dirty Commies™ in their own backyard, plus that the Vietnamese people were themselves fighting for their sovereignty with all they had alongside of the official North Vietnamese Army, and they were willing to do whatever it took, including using their own children as living bombs.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (4th March 2019), Elen (5th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (4th March 2019), Kathy (5th March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    He could take a subject and write about the down side. Then turn right around and write one about the upside. Then marry those words with melody and that incredibly powerful tenor voice of his to produce...

We ain't in Kansas no mo'

Quite a classic... Sleep Walk
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (4th March 2019), Elen (5th March 2019), Kathy (5th March 2019)

Thanks
    Wurlitzer...One Christmas I bought my dad a replica that played CD's. He was the hit of his group of friends. I think it was one of his favorite gifts ever. My dad use to sing, dance, and play the guitar. I really think he was a frustrated performer as he never made it to the big time. His singing voice could fill a hall where most people required a microphone.

His favorite music to listen to was his own...yes, he was a narcissist.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This guy was just weird enough to be fascinating...

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

(account terminated) England
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    ------
    You can't possibly believe that nonsense. The Americans lost the Vietnam War because they had no business being there in the first place, and because they were so arrogant that they thought they could defeat the Dirty Commies™ in their own backyard, plus that the Vietnamese people were themselves fighting for their sovereignty with all they had alongside of the official North Vietnamese Army, and they were willing to do whatever it took, including using their own children as living bombs.
    My mistake was assuming you were British and would immediately recognise our humour and respond in kind .
    Now I am wondering if the US did use The Shadows in the way I hinted , given that you even imagined I might be serious .

On reflection it would have worked -- just the thought of Harry Webb turning up as well and opening his mouth would have sent the Gooks screaming back to Hanoi .

Thanks
    My mistake was assuming you were British and would immediately recognise our humour and respond in kind .
    I am neither British nor Irish, nor US American, nor Canadian, nor Australian, nor New Zealander. I am Belgian, from the northern, Dutch-speaking part of the country, called the Flanders. I was born and raised here, and I still reside here, although I do not identify with my country, nor with its politics or its colonial past. In fact, there are times when I do not even identify with the human species.

Now I am wondering if the US did use The Shadows in the way I hinted , given that you even imagined I might be serious .
    The thing is that within this so-called alternative community, there's virtually no limit as to what some people will believe and proclaim to be the truth ─ against all better judgment and/or proven scientific facts ─ especially so if some talking head on YouTube has launched the nonsense first. I am therefore quite used to seeing that kind of ridiculous claims being taken seriously within this so-called alternative community.

There are after all people who believe that Earth would be flat, and/or that Michelle Obama would be a transvestite or a transgender ─ something you yourself have also alluded to on another thread today. We've actually got a thread about that particular nonsense under the Proven Hoaxes & Misinformation category ─ I'm sure you'd be able to find it if you were to look for it. As the matter of fact, this forum contains lots of embarrassing threads like that, from ex-members who used to believe every tabloid they had ever laid eyes on, so long as it had to do with satanic pedophiles, reptilian Illuminaughties and other such drama.

On reflection it would have worked -- just the thought of Harry Webb turning up as well and opening his mouth would have sent the Gooks screaming back to Hanoi .
    I seem to remember that Harry Webb would be the real name of Cliff Richard, for whom The Shadows were the backing band for a while. You are fully entitled to your opinion of him, but the other staff members and I would appreciate it if you were to refrain from using any racial slurs here. The word "gook" has been used as a racial slur for an Asian ─ and specifically, a Vietnamese person ─ ever since the Vietnam War began.

Racism and/or any other form of discrimination based upon ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, political preferences, language or whatever other property that distinguishes one human being from another, are strictly forbidden at The One Truth. I recommend that you read and familiarize yourself with The One Truth's Forum Rules.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Elen (5th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (4th March 2019), Kathy (5th March 2019)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts

Aqua - Barbie Girl

Music video by Aqua performing Barbie Girl. (C) 1997 Universal Music (Denmark) A/S

I couldn't believe what I heard when this came out in the 90's. Plastic parties!

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th March 2019), Emil El Zapato (5th March 2019), Kathy (5th March 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Elen View Post
    Music video by Aqua performing Barbie Girl. (C) 1997 Universal Music (Denmark) A/S

I couldn't believe what I heard when this came out in the 90's. Plastic parties!

wow, that's out there...

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th March 2019), Elen (5th March 2019), Kathy (5th March 2019)