Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1421222324

Thread: The One Truth's Lounge Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 344 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    I'm not sure whether I've already posted this one before, but this was one of my favorite songs when I was in college — well, when I was on my first round in college anyway.

The International Geophysical Year spanned from July 1957 until December 1958, and the song dates back to 1982. Not much has come true of this hopeful vision for the then-imagined future, though — 90 minutes from New York to Paris by way of an underseas train? A wheel in space? Nah, war is better for business, they said.

Loved that song! - Still do!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NotAPretender For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th October 2017), Dreamtimer (13th October 2017), Elen (13th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 344 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    This one's simply because I consider it one of the most epic anti-establishment anthems of the last three decades.

And with it, we shall express our undying hope that one day, one of those people who put videos with lyrics up on YouTube will be doing it without getting the lyrics wrong and/or misspelling anything — it's "Some of those that were forces", not "Some of those that wear forces."

I think that's the first time I've heard that song... Not exactly heavy on the lyricism ...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NotAPretender For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th October 2017), Dreamtimer (13th October 2017), Elen (13th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 31,968 Times in 8,198 Posts
    Even though this song is in fact a cover version of a song originally written and performed by Shuggie Otis, having heard both versions, I still prefer this one. Maybe it's because this was the first version I ever heard — I only discovered the Shuggie Otis version about ten years ago or so — or maybe it's because the original version has more of a folk-like rhythm instead of the funk/soul rhythm applied by the Brothers Johnson. Or maybe it's just a combination of both.

I first discovered this song when listening to the BBC Top-20 on a Sunday evening on long wave radio back in 1977 — I was only 14 years old — and I instantly took a liking to this song, and especially because of the harp-like keyboard sounds and the "cosmic" guitar solo. This finger-breaking guitar solo — with two electric guitars playing in close harmony — was actually performed for the studio recording by renowned session guitarist and jazz virtuoso Lee Ritenour, but the original version of the song by Shuggie Otis had Shuggie performing the solo himself on an acoustic guitar, without any delay effects.

The song was never a great success for the Brothers Johnson over here in Belgium — it did much better in the UK — while they did on the other hand score a big hit with their next single, "Stomp!" However, the song was featured on the soundtrack of the year 2000 remake of the movie "Shaft", which brought it a renewed popularity.

Maybe it's just my autistic mind, but I distinctly remember a dream I had when I was 14, in which I was on board of a spaceship, together with a girl I was in love with at the time, and we were both wearing a kind of uniform comprised of pristine white trousers, a white sweater, rubbery boots and a black waist belt. It was a very enjoyable dream — probably because of the presence of the girl I was in love with, but the setting of the spaceship was also very much to my liking — and every time I heard this song, those keyboard parts and that guitar solo would remind me of that dream. Later on, another factor would augment my liking of this song, i.e. the Gibson S-1 guitar played by the singer in this video — I was 14-15 years old when I started developing my interest in electric guitars, and I really liked the looks of that Gibson S-1.

Sadly enough, in the video recording here-below, Lee Ritenour's epic solo has been abridged — the actual recording of the song is 4 minutes and 57 seconds, but the video clip is only 3 minutes and 29 seconds — as it's a video excerpt from Toppop, a weekly music chart program on Dutch television. Back in those days, the Dutch media would often shorten songs for the radio and television broadcasts of the pop charts by cutting out certain instrumental passages — or even an entire refrain — so as to be able to squeeze more music into a shorter program.

= DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (13th October 2017), Elen (13th October 2017), NotAPretender (13th October 2017), Wind (13th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 31,968 Times in 8,198 Posts
    A little flashback to the 1980s, when selfies were still made with Polaroid cameras. The guitar solo in this song is a killer, by the way.

= DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (14th October 2017), Elen (14th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 44,754 Times in 9,377 Posts
    Tag a mate and say nothing lol

No one person can ever change the truth, but the truth, once learned, can and will change the person

You must be the change you wish to see in the world when you are through changing, you are through

theonetruth forum status

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The One For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th October 2017), Dreamtimer (15th October 2017), Elen (15th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,056 Posts
    People pay to hear this music?? or is this like Fake News..............Fake Music

Quote Originally Posted by The One View Post
    Tag a mate and say nothing lol

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sandy For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th October 2017), Elen (16th October 2017), The One (16th October 2017)