Page 22 of 205 FirstFirst ... 12192021222324253272122 ... LastLast

Thread: The One Truth's Lounge Thread

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Here's some Sunday morning drums and bagpipes for you. This venue is one of my favorite places to go. People also don't limit themselves to renaissance when they dress up. I can count on seeing barbarian stormtroopers in kilts and steampunk something or other...

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSWe6uodOMI

There's belly dancing at the end, too.
    Last edited by Dreamtimer, 30th July 2017 at 12:46.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th July 2017), Dumpster Diver (31st July 2017), Elen (30th July 2017), Gio (31st July 2017), modwiz (31st July 2017), pointessa (2nd August 2017), sandy (31st July 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 2,620 Posts
    medieval steampunk...or vikings in steam-powered longships? the mind reels...

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (31st July 2017), Dreamtimer (31st July 2017), Elen (1st August 2017), modwiz (31st July 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    With thanks to Sam Hunter for bringing this gem to my attention again.

= DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (3rd August 2017), Elen (3rd August 2017), modwiz (2nd August 2017), sandy (11th August 2017)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    With thanks to Sam Hunter for bringing this gem to my attention again.

Mmmm my kind of music...

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (3rd August 2017), Dreamtimer (3rd August 2017), modwiz (11th August 2017)

Thanks
    A song that has always been appropriate on this planet, and it still is today. This literally gives me goosebumps every single time I hear it.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Chester (11th August 2017), Dreamtimer (11th August 2017), Elen (11th August 2017), modwiz (11th August 2017), sandy (11th August 2017)

Thanks
    Sorry if this is a repost, but in spite of the relatively simple chord progression, this song from back in 1991 remains a rock-solid work of art even today, from the very intrinsic orchestral arrangement all the way over to the intense energy dripping from the very frugally shot video. You really have to take this in and digest it.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWmrfgj0MZI

I know that I've been mad in love before
    And how it could be with you
    Really hurt me baby, really cut me baby
    How can you have a day without a night
    You're the book that I have opened
    And now I've got to know much more

The curiousness of your potential kiss
    Has got my mind and body aching
    Really hurt me baby, really cut me baby
    How can you have a day without a night
    You're the book that I have opened
    And now I've got to know much more

Like a soul without a mind
    In a body without a heart
    I'm missing every part

Like a soul without a mind
    In a body without a heart
    I'm missing every part

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (27th August 2017), Elen (27th August 2017)

Thanks
    Good stuff. Thanks!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th August 2017), Elen (28th August 2017), modwiz (8th September 2017)

Thanks
    Another one of my favorite bands, because of their understated, highly melodic and well-produced quality songs, and their introspective lyrics with an underlying brutal but childlike honesty. This one's from their "Steve McQueen" album.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWRgHVamt7g

I spend the days of my vanity

I'm lost in heaven and I'm lost to earth
    Didn't give you minutes, not even moments
    All my life in a tower of foil
    Shaded feelings, I don't believe you

When you were there before my eyes
    No one planned it, took it for granted

I count the hours since you slipped away
    I count the hours that I lie awake
    I count the minutes and the seconds too
    All I stole and I took from you

But Bonny, don't live at home
    Bonny, don't live at home

Words don't hold you, broken soldiers

All my silence and my strained respect
    Missed chances and the same regrets
    Kiss the thief and you save the rest
    All my insights from retrospect

I count the hours since you slipped away
    I count the hours that I lie awake
    I count the minutes and the seconds too
    All I stole and I took from you

Bonny, don't live at...

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Elen (8th September 2017), modwiz (8th September 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Prefab Sprout ... sweet.

I'm sure you're familiar with London Grammar. Very beautiful music I think. I don't know if they've done anything recently.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QQcj4A_DlbA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I can never figure out how to do this...this video is very very cool.

Is this the one? ...Elen

Last edited by Elen, 8th September 2017 at 06:24. Reason: Found a video

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (8th September 2017), Dreamtimer (15th September 2017), Elen (8th September 2017), modwiz (8th September 2017)

Thanks
    An oldie but a goodie...

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (15th September 2017), Elen (16th September 2017), Emil El Zapato (15th September 2017)

Thanks
    Steely Dan is high on my list of all time favorites...

Joe Satriani: All time best guitar solo. This guy is possessed by a demon...

Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 15th September 2017 at 20:51.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th September 2017), Dreamtimer (15th September 2017), Elen (16th September 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    Steely Dan is high on my list of all time favorites...

Joe Satriani: All time best guitar solo. This guy is possessed by a demon...

Being a six-stringer myself, I actually used to be quite a fan of ol' Satch. I've seen him live — promoting his "The Extremist" album, back in 1993 — and I've got several of his albums. They taught me quite a few things with regard to tapping, whammy bar techniques, odd-meter rhythms and the use of modes.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (15th September 2017), Elen (16th September 2017), Emil El Zapato (15th September 2017)

Thanks
    very cool... I've never seen him in concert but that is surely on my list of must do's.

I've seen Santana and in a very small venue a guy that was somewhat obscure beyond having been rated in the top 10 in the world in one magazine. To me, it was like, How does a human being do that? ...

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th September 2017), Dreamtimer (15th September 2017), Elen (16th September 2017)

Thanks
    Music is magic. There's nothing like seeing amazing musicians up close.

Anyone like banjos?

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zazrDVeczbA

We are in love with these guys from Galway.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th September 2017), Elen (16th September 2017), Emil El Zapato (16th September 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Being a six-stringer myself, I actually used to be quite a fan of ol' Satch. I've seen him live — promoting his "The Extremist" album, back in 1993 — and I've got several of his albums. They taught me quite a few things with regard to tapping, whammy bar techniques, odd-meter rhythms and the use of modes.
    Speaking of modes, this one here is perhaps one of the most obvious demonstrations of Lydian mode.

The song is for most part — albeit not entirely — written in C Major, but the scale he's playing is comprised of the tones C, D, E, F#, G, A and B. In other words, it is identical to the C Major scale except for that raised fourth — F# instead of F. Or otherwise put still, they are actually the tones making up for the scale of G Major.

So when you play a G Major scale over a progression centered around a C root note, then that is Lydian mode. It has a kind of enigmatic tension to it, and likewise, each of the other modes adds a another type of tension to the music, which you cannot create by strictly adhering to the standard diatonic scale of the key you're playing in. This standard major scale itself is also a mode, i.e. Ionian mode.

Every major scale also always has a natural minor scale to go with it, which is comprised of the exact same tones, but the minor scale starts counting at a different point of the ladder, i.e. a minor third down from the root note of the corresponding major scale. By consequence, the C Major scale — or in modal terms, C in Ionian mode — has its counterpart in the natural A Minor scale, which in modal terms corresponds to A in Aeolian mode. Likewise, you can transpose this to other keys. If for instance you are playing in the key of G Major and you are playing the G Ionian scale — which is the standard G Major scale — then its natural minor counterpart would be E Minor, or in modal terms, E Aeolian.

Another popular mode in progressive rock and jazz for instance is Dorian mode, which is a minor scale — it has a minor third — with a diminished seventh. When playing in C Dorian — i.e. the root note is a C — you would then be playing the tones C, D, D#, F, G, A, A#, or otherwise put, you are actually playing the tones of the A# Major scale. It shares C, D, F, G and A with the C Major scale, but the third is a D# instead of E (and thus: a minor third) and the seventh is an A# instead of B (and thus: a diminished seventh).

As a result of the third and the seventh both having been dropped by a half step in relation to the normal major scale (or Ionian mode), Dorian mode begets a somewhat medieval vibe. And that shouldn't be a surprise, because quite a lot of medieval music was composed in Dorian mode. Back in those days, musicians were not using the concept of major or minor scales and keys yet as we do today. They only knew the concept of modes, which owe their names to certain regions in Greece where the individual modes were popular. So instead of saying "This is a song in D Minor (or F Major)", they would say "This is a song in D Aeolian (or F Ionian)." Or at least, that is to say, sort of, because that's not exactly correct either.

You see, the alphabetic naming of tones is something that only appeared much later. Instead, people in the middle ages were using different names for the tones, i.e. (for the tones comprising the C Major scale) do, re, mi, fa, so (or "sol"), la and ti (or "si"). Over here on the European mainland, we still use those names for the individual tones, and we use the alphabetic designations for chords. So we talk of the C chord, which is comprised of the tones do, mi and so(l).

Explaining music theory isn't really the scope of this thread — although on the other hand, I don't really see why not — so I'll just defer those interested in the subject toward the Wonkypedia article.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Chester (3rd October 2017), Dreamtimer (16th September 2017), Elen (16th September 2017), Emil El Zapato (16th September 2017)