Thread: Essential oils

Retired Member United States
    Thanks

Essential oils

I use essential oils recipes found on the net for many things. I am recently trying to formulate that perfect bug spray. There are so many companies it's impossible to find who's reputable without ripping you off. Can anyone recommend a great company?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anastasia For This Useful Post:

bsbray (11th July 2015), Hugh Mann (11th July 2015)

Thanks
    Also looking for a high quality Catnip essential oil.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anastasia For This Useful Post:

bsbray (11th July 2015), Juniper (12th July 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Anastasia View Post
    I use essential oils recipes found on the net for many things. I am recently trying to formulate that perfect bug spray. There are so many companies it's impossible to find who's reputable without ripping you off. Can anyone recommend a great company?
    Bug spray? To kill? Or, do you refer to an insect repellant?
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Repellent for skeeters, fleas, etc. and for the skin. I found an awesome one I like but I'm trying to make it myself since company sells it in little 1/3 ounce bottles and I need a lot.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anastasia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Repellent for skeeters, fleas, etc. and for the skin. I found an awesome one I like but I'm trying to make it myself since company sells it in little 1/3 ounce bottles and I need a lot.
    I have had an excellent formula for years. Citronella is best but cloying as an odor. This is fixed by mixing it 50/50 with eucalyptus. The globulus variety is a little heavy and it is better to use lighter ones like radiata or even USP grade Eucalyptus 80/85. Blend this into rubbing alcohol. At least 10% of volume should be the the blend of E.O.'s. Put his into spray bottle and you have what you need. Apply as needed. I keep a 1 oz. bottle with me when going outdoors. I refill it often because of people asking to use it. The scent is pleasant. A four ounce bottle is a good family size.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Anastasia (11th July 2015), bsbray (11th July 2015), Dreamtimer (12th July 2015), Elen (12th July 2015), GCS1103 (11th July 2015), Juniper (12th July 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    I saw a recipe for mosquito repellent using lemon, tea-tree and eucalyptus oil. I haven't tried it yet and doubt I will because the oils are very expensive and you get a small amount. IMO, it's not really cost effective.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugh Mann For This Useful Post:

(account terminated) United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,648 Times in 2,895 Posts
    I know it's not what the OP is asking but for keeping bugs off of plants mix Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds with neem oil, 50/50, and spray it from a spray bottle onto your plants.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bsbray For This Useful Post:

Anastasia (11th July 2015), Elen (12th July 2015), Juniper (12th July 2015), Kitsune (13th July 2015), modwiz (11th July 2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Hugh Mann View Post
    I saw a recipe for mosquito repellent using lemon, tea-tree and eucalyptus oil. I haven't tried it yet and doubt I will because the oils are very expensive and you get a small amount. IMO, it's not really cost effective.
    Citronella is one of the cheaper oils and USP Eucalyptus is a bargain also. Buy them in 4 oz bottles and then mix them together. Put 1/2 Oz or 15 mils into 4 oz of rubbing alcohol for a blend that is 12.5 % E.O's. You will have years worth of inexpensive blend to mix into rubbing alcohol. I prefer ethyl to isopropyl.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Bob (12th July 2015), bsbray (12th July 2015), Dreamtimer (12th July 2015), GCS1103 (11th July 2015), genevieve (12th July 2015), Hugh Mann (12th July 2015), Juniper (12th July 2015)

Thanks
    I have been using Citronella, Eucalyptus, lemongrass, Cedar, tea tree, lavender, etc. I have a collection. I work with animals so I mix spray bottles to protect me and clothing from uninvited guests. Recently I came across one that is oil based that is awesome and I'm trying to replicate it. I just need a few oils I'm having problems finding. Catnip oil was found to work like deet. I took a walk last night with my dog into bug hell and it repelled everything. Birds and bats all around me feasting. For my dog I use herbal collars and commercial mixes for dogs and cats.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anastasia For This Useful Post:

bsbray (12th July 2015), Elen (12th July 2015), Juniper (12th July 2015)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    Found this on the Raw Family Newsletter:

Home remedies for mosquitoes
    Despite the abundance of industrial fumigators, folk remedies against mosquitoes and black flies are still better, safer, and more economical. There are many simple ways to combat mosquitoes and other insects that are completely natural, and hence are safe, which is especially important for young children, pregnant women and people with allergies. Below is a selection of several simple and effective folk remedies for mosquitoes.

Tomato
    Mosquitoes can not stand the smell of tomato plants. Therefore, it makes sense to have beds with tomatoes directly outside your home or tomato plants in pots on your windowsills.

Basil
    Mosquitoes also do not like basil. Plant this elegant and compact plant in a pot close to the windows and doors.

Eucalyptus oil
    Eucalyptus essential oil is an excellent folk remedy for mosquitoes. If you are going outdoors, it can be used applied directly to skin to ward off these pesky bugs. Eucalyptus oil can also be used against mosquitoes at home. Simply drip a few drops of eucalyptus oil into an aroma lamp, or put a little oil on a cotton ball and place the ball on a nearby table and the mosquitoes will disappear.

Camphor oil
    Camphor oil is a natural insect repellant. You can simply leave a piece of cloth soaked in camphor oil in the open to drive the insects away.

Cedar oil
    Cedar oil is an excellent natural fumigator. You can grease the exposed skin with cedar oil and boldly go in nature.

Peppermint Oil
    If you find that you already have some mosquito bites that itch like crazy, simply put a few drops of peppermint oil on the bites, and this will stop itching in its tracks.

Hope you find this helpful as well.
    Elen

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th July 2015), Anastasia (13th July 2015), Binah (13th July 2015), bsbray (12th July 2015), Herbert (13th July 2015), Hugh Mann (12th July 2015), JByas (14th July 2015), Juniper (12th July 2015), Kitsune (13th July 2015)

Thanks
    Feel free anyone to share great essential oil recipes for anything.

Still hoping for a great company recommendation though.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Anastasia For This Useful Post:

Elen (20th July 2015)

Thanks

I have done business with this company since the mid 1990's. They have even quietly been a supplier for Young Living oils when they needed certain ones.
    http://www.gritman.com/

24. The Following User Says Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Elen (20th July 2015)

Thanks

I have done business with this company since the mid 1990's. They have even quietly been a supplier for Young Living oils when they needed certain ones.
    http://www.gritman.com/

26. The Following User Says Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Elen (20th July 2015)