Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: History of Time

Thanks
    Thanked 6,020 Times in 1,226 Posts

History of Time

Anyone have a good resource for the “history of time”?

When was the first day? What time did the clock we use start? There had to be an original point, a decision made that determined why it is now 11:11am my time 7/6/15...anyone have any idea how that played out?
    What is the purpose of your presence?

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to donk For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th July 2015), boja (6th July 2015), Liberty (11th July 2015), RUSirius (17th July 2015), The One (6th July 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Well, "a day" is a human-created term quantifying the duration of a 360° degree rotation of a celestial body around its (roughly geometric) North-South axis. So when was "the first day"? Given that it's a human term conceived here on Earth, I'd say it was probably when Earth itself was formed. As for "when time begun", that's somewhat of a self-contradictory question -- the word "when" in the question denotes a point in time, and thus assumes that time already existed "when time begun".

Time manifests to us as a progression from one event to another event, but at the physics level, time is one of the dimensions of the space-time continuum, and there are multiple parallel time lines and thus also multiple parallel realities -- i.e. multiple space-time continua. The latter however is still contested by most mainstream physicists, as the consensus is that there is only one space-time continuum within this universe, and only one universe. As such, "the moment when time begun" would lie within the Big Bang, which is the accepted mainstream view on Creation, when -- again, according to mainstream science -- the wave function of the ultimate quantum singularity collapsed.

Now, as for why everything played out so that when you're looking at your clock, you see the special "11:11" time stamp, it gets more convoluted. First of all, there's the fact that the measurement of time in hours, minutes, seconds, et al is a human concept, and that this measurement scale is specific to Earth. Secondly, time -- in the sense of how fast or how slow it elapses between two events witnessed by a single observer -- is subjective to that observer, and in two very distinct ways:

• It depends on the observer's frame of reference. Velocity and acceleration -- which includes gravity -- both influence the passing of time, and thus time passes slower for someone here on Earth than for someone on board a spaceship out in deep space. Various tests have already been conducted with synchronized atomic clocks -- different altitudes, stationary versus travelling at high speed, et al -- and all show that the phenomenon of time dilation as predicted by Albert Einstein does indeed exist.

• The sensation of how much time has elapsed also depends on neurological and psychological factors. We all know the saying, "Time flies when you're having fun." This, too, makes the progression of time a very subjective matter, and this is especially the case when you're all alone, without anyone else there to bounce your perception of reality off of.

However, the question as to why you saw "11:11" on your clock doesn't necessarily have anything to do with time. The number "11:11" has a special significance -- it is a number symbolizing the cosmos, among other things -- and so the question should more appropriately be asked as "Why did I look at the clock when it was showing that particular time?" Well, it could be that your inner self decided to look at the clock at that particular point in your subjective time, or it could be that (something in) Creation -- a "spirit guide", the cosmos itself, you name it -- decided to nudge you into looking at your clock by firing a few neurons in your brain.

Therefore, ultimately, the concept of time is irrelevant in this regard, because the real significance of the event you've just described is that you were somehow meant to notice that number, "11:11". And that, is a message that you yourself will have to interpret, because it was quite obviously meant for your eyes.
    Last edited by Aragorn, 7th July 2015 at 14:49. Reason: typographical correction
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

donk (6th July 2015), Liberty (11th July 2015), The One (6th July 2015), Wind (6th July 2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Well, "a day" is a human-created term quantifying the duration of a 360° degree rotation of a celestial body around its (roughly geometric) North-South axis. So when was "the first day"? Given that it's a human term conceived here on Earth, I'd say it was probably when Earth itself was formed. As for "when time begun", that's somewhat of a self-contradictory question -- the word "when" in the question denotes a point in time, and thus assumes that time already existed "when time begun".

Time manifests to us as a progression from one event to another event, but at the physics level, time is one of the dimensions of the space-time continuum, and there are multiple parallel time lines and thus also multiple parallel realities -- i.e. multiple space-time continua. The latter however is still contested by most mainstream physicists, as the consensus is that there is only one space-time continuum within this universe, and only one universe. As such, "the moment when time begun" would lie within the Big Bang, which is the accepted mainstream view on Creation, when -- again, according to mainstream science -- the wave function of the ultimate quantum singularity collapsed.

Now, as for why everything played out so that when you're looking at your clock, you see the special "11:11" time stamp, it gets more convoluted. First of all, there's the fact that the measurement of time in hours, minutes, seconds, et al is a human concept, and that this measurement scale is specific to Earth. Secondly, time -- in the sense of how fast or how slow it elapses between two events witnessed by a single observer -- is subjective to that observer, and in two very distinct ways:

• It depends on the observer's frame of reference. Velocity and acceleration -- which includes gravity -- both influence the passing of time, and thus time passes slower for someone here on Earth than for someone on board a spaceship out in deep space. Various tests have already been conducted with synchronized atomic clocks -- different altitudes, stationary versus travelling at high speed, et al -- and all show that the phenomenon of time dilation as predicted by Albert Einstein does indeed exist.

• The sensation of how much time has elapsed also depends on neurological and psychological factors. We all know the saying, "Time flies when you're having fun." This, too, makes the progression of time a very subjective manner, and this is especially the case when you're all alone, without anyone else there to bounce your perception of reality off of.

However, the question as to why you saw "11:11" on your clock doesn't necessarily have anything to do with time. The number "11:11" has a special significance -- it is a number symbolizing the cosmos, among other things -- and so the question should more appropriately be asked as "Why did I look at the clock when it was showing that particular time?" Well, it could be that your inner self decided to look at the clock at that particular point in your subjective time, or it could be that (something in) Creation -- a "spirit guide", the cosmos itself, you name it -- decided to nudge you into looking at your clock by firing a few neurons in your brain.

Therefore, ultimately, the concept of time is irrelevant in this regard, because the real significance of the event you've just described is that you were somehow meant to notice that number, "11:11". And that, is a message that you yourself will have to interpret, because it was quite obviously meant for your eyes.
    I'm talking about the measurement time that we use and mostly agree upon, not the actual construct itself but our measure of it.

Who was it that decided which science would determine day zero (making this objectively the sixth of July to everyone sharing my reality)? What was the date it was decided? Was the time the decision became official noted? Where was the first clock recognized?

I was looking for an answer like: King John Clock of the then British empire on June 6th of the CE year 6 convened a council of the smartest of his minions and decreed that it is now the 6th hour of the 6 month of the 6th year of our Lord, at precisely 5:47pm (adjusted for leap seconds and all)...and so it was. He held up the new invention he dubbed the "clock", and history has rolled on according to that ever since....(accept with actual historical instead of crap I just made up)
    Last edited by donk, 6th July 2015 at 16:29.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to donk For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th July 2015), Liberty (11th July 2015), RUSirius (17th July 2015), The One (6th July 2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by donk View Post
    I'm talking about the measurement time that we use and mostly agree upon, not the actual construct itself but our measure of it.

Who was it that decided which science would determine day zero (making this objectively the sixth of July to everyone sharing my reality)? What was the date it was decided? Was the time the decision became official noted? Where was the first clock recognized?

I was looking for an answer like: King John Clock of the then British empire on June 6th of the CE year 6 convened a council of the smartest of his minions and decreed that it is now the 6th hour of the 6 month of the 6th year of our Lord, at precisely 5:47pm (adjusted for leap seconds and all)...and so it was. He held up the new invention he dubbed the "clock", and history has rolled on according to that ever since....(accept with actual historical instead of crap I just made up)
    And you never thought of consulting Wikipedia, the Source Of All Misinformation™?

Well, here you go then.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

boja (6th July 2015), donk (7th July 2015), Liberty (11th July 2015), RUSirius (17th July 2015), The One (6th July 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts

I liked this. Not only did you get the 666 part in but, even the time selected reduces to 6 in numerology.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th July 2015), blufire (7th July 2015), donk (6th July 2015), RUSirius (17th July 2015), The One (6th July 2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    And you never thought of consulting Wikipedia, the Source Of All Misinformation™?

Well, here you go then.
    I wasn't curious enough to do actual research, but I do appreciate the variation on BR's favorite joke (the old "let me google that for you")....very funny. I was actually more interested in seeing anyone here not only was curious about the same thing AND had actually done the leg work, and found some information and/or sources in addition to the obvious.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to donk For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th July 2015), Liberty (11th July 2015), RUSirius (17th July 2015), The One (6th July 2015)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Anyone have a good resource for the “history of time”?

When was the first day? What time did the clock we use start? There had to be an original point, a decision made that determined why it is now 11:11am my time 7/6/15...anyone have any idea how that played out?
    Many believed our time was suppose to expire December 21, 2012.

We're all still here: July 6, 2015.

Timeline was reset.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AscensionQuest For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th July 2015), Liberty (11th July 2015), The One (6th July 2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by AscensionQuest View Post
    Many believed our time was suppose to expire December 21, 2012.

We're all still here: July 6, 2015.

Timeline was reset.
    No, the time line wasn't "reset", because time is just how we perceive that particular dimension of the space-time continuum which represents causality.

What happened, concretely, was that certain uninformed people -- yes, that's a euphemism -- were under the impression that the world would magically come to an end somehow when the Mayan calendar ended its previous baktun, and all kinds of doom scenarios were thought up to lend credence to the fear-mongering, the infamous myth of the so-called return of Planet X (alias Nibiru) and its claimed collision with Earth being one of them. But when the 21st of December 2012 arrived, all that really happened was that the Mayan calendar simply started a new baktun. It was nothing other than fear-mongering.

Time is an essential component in Creation, in that it expresses the process of evolution from one event to the next. As I've also explained in post #2 of this thread, awareness of the progress of time is highly subjective, both because of the laws of physics -- cfr. Einstein's Theory of Relativity, both the General and Special variants -- and because of neurological factors. By consequence, there is no cosmic clock anywhere that needs to be (or can be) reset.
    Last edited by Aragorn, 6th July 2015 at 20:07. Reason: typographical correction

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Liberty (11th July 2015), The One (6th July 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,244 Times in 922 Posts
    If you use a computer, you obviously know about UTC (not Greenwich Mean Time ), the count started on 01/01/1970 00:00:00, the moment referred to as epoch, and it is a running count of seconds elapsed since then.

On Sun Feb 7 04:28:15 2106 counter will passed the 32 bit mark and theoretically reset; but as it happens, computers evolved fast enough that the number is already expanded to 64 bits and we won't run out of seconds until when the sun is about to go nova (or thereabouts). Anyway, it continues to count approaching the next value one second at a time.

The current value is 1436212541. (Mon Jul 6 16:55:41 2015)
    Last edited by lcam88, 7th July 2015 at 15:11. Reason: corrections

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lcam88 For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th July 2015), donk (7th July 2015), RikkiTikkiTavi (11th July 2015), The One (6th July 2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by lcam88 View Post
    If you use a computer, you obviously know about Greenwich Mean Time, the count started on 01/01/1970. and it is a running count of seconds elapsed since then. [...]
    Actually, that's not entirely correct, my friend. That which started on the 1st of January 1970 -- a date which is commonly referred to in information technology as "the epoch" -- was UTC (Universal Time, Coordinated), and UTC is considered equivalent to GMT (Greenwich Mean Time), but GMT was established a lot earlier already.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

lcam88 (6th July 2015), Liberty (11th July 2015), The One (6th July 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,244 Times in 922 Posts
    I stand corrected. Thanks.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lcam88 For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th July 2015), Liberty (11th July 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 35,452 Times in 10,162 Posts
    This site may help you > http://lawoftime.org/ < imo as time is of the mind, then it would be experienced dimensionalllly, as for ourselves on Earth I would say nature is time as such.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th July 2015), Liberty (11th July 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Time . . . . .quirky little phenomenon.

Since leaving the rat race and living alone in the mountains I find myself going for days without acknowledging ‘time’ or even what day it may be. I have found my ‘biological clock’ has kicked in full force.

I believe clocks and ‘measuring time’ and calendars were created merely as an organizational tool and should not be taken as an actuality.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blufire For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th July 2015), Liberty (11th July 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,290 Times in 688 Posts
    Please don't shoot the messenger here but........Wikipedia has a pretty good account of that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_calendars

Where was the first clock recognized?

As for clocks here is another wikipedia...sorry....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...eeping_devices

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Shadowself For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th July 2015), donk (7th July 2015), Dreamtimer (9th July 2015), lcam88 (7th July 2015), Liberty (11th July 2015), RUSirius (17th July 2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by foxfire View Post
    Time . . . . .quirky little phenomenon.

Since leaving the rat race and living alone in the mountains I find myself going for days without acknowledging ‘time’ or even what day it may be. I have found my ‘biological clock’ has kicked in full force.
    Well, I don't live out in the mountains, but I've been pretty disconnected from The Rat Race™ for years already, and I have found that my circadian rhythm doesn't actually correspond to a 24-hour cycle. More like 26 or 27 hours.

Quote Originally posted by foxfire View Post
    I believe clocks and ‘measuring time’ and calendars were created merely as an organizational tool and should not be taken as an actuality.

ALARM CLOCK:

A device commonly owned by people who wish to be reminded of the fact that someone else is in control of their life.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (9th July 2015), Greenbarry (14th July 2015), lcam88 (7th July 2015), Liberty (11th July 2015)