Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: History of Time

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,244 Times in 922 Posts
    How did you notice 26 or 27 hour cycles Aragorn?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lcam88 For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th July 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by lcam88 View Post
    How did you notice 26 or 27 hour cycles Aragorn?
    Well, because I will eventually have trouble catching sleep, and then I also wake up later. As such, my circadian rhythms shifts over time, i.e. I keep going to bed later, and I also keep on waking up later.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

lcam88 (7th July 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Well, because I will eventually have trouble catching sleep, and then I also wake up later. As such, my circadian rhythms shifts over time, i.e. I keep going to bed later, and I also keep on waking up later.
    Do you also eat lunch and dinner later and later? Have you woken up at 5 or 6 PM in the "morning" at some point? Do you maintain your normal rhythms in other aspects of your waking hours?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lcam88 For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th July 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadian_rhythm

A circadian rhythm /sɜrˈkeɪdiən/ is any biological process that displays an endogenous, entrainable oscillation of about 24 hours. These 24-hour rhythms are driven by a circadian clock, and they have been widely observed in plants, animals, fungi, and cyanobacteria.[1]
    The term circadian comes from the Latin circa, meaning "around" (or "approximately"), and diēs, meaning "day". The formal study of biological temporal rhythms, such as daily, tidal, weekly, seasonal, and annual rhythms, is called chronobiology.
    Although circadian rhythms are endogenous ("built-in", self-sustained), they are adjusted (entrained) to the local environment by external cues called zeitgebers (from German, "time giver"), which include light, temperature and redox cycles

I wish everyone could experience firsthand of being in rhythm with this type of ‘time’.

Many times I disconnect all electronic devices and shut the electric breakers to the house and will go for days listening to nothing but peace and quiet and Mother Earth.

I posted in another thread this morning that if I could be ruler for a day I would pass an edict that everyone has to live 7 years in the wilderness in a very small group without any technology and in very humble shelters and learn to be self-reliant and sustainable while learning to be a part of a group of which your life literally depends.

To become unified and melded with the planet and each other’s uniqueness

Mother Nature is a very excellent teacher.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blufire For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th July 2015), Dreamtimer (9th July 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by foxfire View Post
    I wish everyone could experience firsthand of being in rhythm with this type of ‘time’.

Many times I disconnect all electronic devices and shut the electric breakers to the house and will go for days listening to nothing but peace and quiet and Mother Earth.
    I grew up in Alaska, on a 2.5 acre plot of land with my house right in the middle. I remember quite well, many a midwinter afternoon sitting before huge triple panes picture windows, looking at a snow covered landscape of pine and birch trees lightly covered with snow, no wind, no sound no movement. Absolute still stricken beauty.

People can get depressed there, with 18 hours of darkness and no noise. They turn to the bottle or other substance sometimes. If they can't find themselves.

Also, till this day, I hardly ever use an alarm clock. I get up around 5:30 or 6:00 am on almost every weekday morning without assistance, to make coffee.

I posted in another thread this morning that if I could be ruler for a day I would pass an edict that everyone has to live 7 years in the wilderness in a very small group without any technology and in very humble shelters and learn to be self-reliant and sustainable while learning to be a part of a group of which your life literally depends.
    While I would applaud your efforts... maybe that experience is something best left as a suggestion though; some people don't like impositions.

To become unified and melded with the planet and each other’s uniqueness
    Sounds like heaven. I mean that literally; ever contemplate how it would be to be the sun?

Mother Nature is a very excellent teacher.
    +1

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lcam88 For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th July 2015)

Thanks
    Do you also eat lunch and dinner later and later?
    Well, I normally -- with emphasis, as there are exceptions -- eat only one meal per day, but the exact moment in time -- clockwise -- when I consume that meal may indeed differ, although not necessarily in sync with my circadian rhythm itself, given that, to a certain extent, I still depend upon available logistics.

Have you woken up at 5 or 6 PM in the "morning" at some point?
    That happens quite regularly, depending on when I go to sleep. There are days when I go to sleep at, say, 16:00, and then I might wake up at midnight. It's perpetually shifting forward in time, albeit that it's neither consistent nor gradual. One time it may be shifting by a few hours over the course of only a few days, and other times it may only shift by, say, half an hour over the course of a week.

Do you maintain your normal rhythms in other aspects of your waking hours?
    Well, it's a trade-off. Certain things have to be done by the rhythm of society, so I have to keep that into account when it comes to planning my interactions with mainstream society.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (9th July 2015), lcam88 (7th July 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Aragorn:

And you find it very difficult to fix an hour to one aspect of your life, say what time you go to bed?

When I disregard bed time, I find my circadian rhythm pushes me later and later, but normally like 20 or 30 minutes at a time.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to lcam88 For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th July 2015)

Thanks
    Aragorn:

And you find it very difficult to fix an hour to one aspect of your life, say what time you go to bed?
    Yes, unless I completely submerge myself into the rhythm that society imposes on me. But then I would actually need that alarm clock.

When I disregard bed time, I find my circadian rhythm pushes me later and later, but normally like 20 or 30 minutes at a time.
    Well, I haven't exactly been keeping track of the precise difference in minutes, but as I wrote higher up, there are times when it only shifts by about 30 minutes for an entire week, and there are times when it shifts by several hours over the course of only a couple of days. So it's rather irregular, but this is probably a consequence of my still having to deal with certain "static" aspects of my interaction with mainstream society.

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Aragorn:

I only think 20 or 30 minutes because after a couple of weeks, I'll be waking up at 10AM, it's mostly a guess rather than a calculation. I normally can't get up later than that unless I start letting myself go to bed after 3AM.

I find I am sensitive to the level of light, if I cover the curtains completely, I'll easily sleep more. And it's quite a bit more difficult to wake up before sunrise. That seems pretty human to me.

I think to actually form an experiment that may suggest something means something off-world, you would need to deny yourself to an alarm clock as well as day/night time indicators like light levels, and then in a controlled lab type environment, examine how your natural cycles emerge.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to lcam88 For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th July 2015)

Thanks
    I think to actually form an experiment that may suggest something means something off-world, you would need to deny yourself to an alarm clock as well as day/night time indicators like light levels, and then in a controlled lab type environment, examine how your natural cycles emerge.
    Well, such an experiment would then have its merits to you personally, my friend, because the experiment has already been conducted in a scientific context, with a number of cave explorers, who were completely cut off from the outside world for an extended period of time. They had watches, but they didn't have an alarm clock, and all the light they ever saw came from their torches and flashlights.

They did indeed find that the human circadian rhythm needs more than 24 hours to come full circle. I'm not sure on the exact numbers anymore, but I believe that after six weeks or so in that cave, they found their circadian rhythm to center around 29 hours or whereabouts.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

blufire (7th July 2015), lcam88 (7th July 2015), modwiz (7th July 2015), Wind (8th July 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    For me, as a 56 year old woman, I have become in sync with the seasons and my sleep and awake patterns increase and decrease with the amount of sunlight . . . . . I sleep less during the spring and summer and much more in the winter. My eating patterns also change. Where I live there are very defined 4 seasons of the year.

I also find my rhythms ebb and flow with the phases of the moon in conjunction with the seasons. Although not as erratically as when I was still menstruating (sorry guys)

I very much like being an older post-menopausal woman . . . . .

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blufire For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (7th July 2015), Dreamtimer (9th July 2015), modwiz (7th July 2015)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Aragorn, I recall many years ago reading about a study where people lived in controlled environments where they didn't see sunrise or sunset, they turned the lights on and off as they wished, and their natural rhythms stretched out to 26 or 27 hours.

We were just on vacation and easily lost track of time. Which is a good thing.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (9th July 2015)

Thanks
    I stopped wearing a watch over a year ago, cover the clock when I go to bed at night so when I wake up I do not have time on my mind. It's always a surprise when I do look at my phone for any calls and see the time

Liberty

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Liberty For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th July 2015)