Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: sElection Chaos Proceeds as Planned

Thanks
    Thanked 35,452 Times in 10,162 Posts

sElection Chaos Proceeds as Planned

Somewhere for the differing Movie narratives regards 2020 results, likely to roll into 2021 >

sElection Chaos Proceeds as Planned

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Bottom line, Aianawa, is that they will drag him out when they need to. Trump is insane and based on your posts possibly what is what i've thought every since he entered my consciousness, at worst a demonic force at best a satan worshipper. He's losing ground in the world of power. Natch!
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Elen (11th November 2020), Justjane (11th November 2020), Octopus Garden (11th November 2020)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    As planned by Trump, yes. He announced that he would accept the results, 'If I win'. Pretty clear. Pretty straightforward.

So far all cases have been thrown out by his stacked courts because he doesn't have any evidence. This has been observed by Governor Christie, my Governor Hogan, and others.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Trump has jack shite.

And apparently Republicans have no shame. They are either utterly corrupt or utterly lost. They will ruin our Democratic institutions rather than admit defeat. They will spend years failing to do their job, see McConnell, rather than admit defeat.

I am supremely embarrassed and ever so grateful my parents are no longer with us to witness this shame.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

donk (21st November 2020), Elen (11th November 2020), Emil El Zapato (10th November 2020), Justjane (11th November 2020), Octopus Garden (11th November 2020), Wind (10th November 2020)

Thanks
    He's nuts DT, truly nothing matters to him but him. Otherwise known as malignant narcissism. He will bring down the entire country and not give a whit. He may escape all legal claims against him by simply using an insanity defense.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (10th November 2020), Elen (11th November 2020), Justjane (11th November 2020), Octopus Garden (11th November 2020), Wind (10th November 2020)

Thanks
    The 25th Amendment remains in play if Trump gets too cray-cray.

Biden was in the White House for eight years and witnessed Republican obstruction first-hand. He's been planning for months.

Republicans won't be so happy now that they've pushed the idea of Unitary Executive so hard. They've inadvertently given Biden the tools that he needs. Yeah, they'll bitch about Executive orders, just like they did with Obama, just like they did not at all with Trump, because....double standards. Hypocrisy. Hubris. The usual tools.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th November 2020), Elen (11th November 2020), Emil El Zapato (10th November 2020), Justjane (11th November 2020), Octopus Garden (11th November 2020), Wind (10th November 2020)

Thanks
    Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger responded in a statement Monday saying he would not resign, and defended his office's handling of the election. He said the election was a "resounding success" from an administration perspective. He highlighted his office's briefings and updates to argue that they had conducted the process with transparency. ✄

He also took a shot at Perdue and Loeffler for their criticism: "As a Republican, I am concerned about Republicans keeping the U.S. Senate. I recommend that Senators Loeffler and Perdue start focusing on that."
    They can't see the forest for the trees.

The saddest thing of all is that if Trump had just a basic level of competence and ability to listen to advisors he would have easily won. He's his own worst enemy. And this nation is ill. (in more ways than one)

Utah's Governor knows this:

Faced with more than 2,000 new daily COVID-19 cases in his state and hospitals at capacity, Utah's outgoing Gov. Gary Herbert has declared a state of emergency and issued a mandate for all residents to wear masks in public until further notice. ✄

"Masks do not negatively affect our economy, and wearing them is the easiest way to slow the spread of the virus," said Herbert, who did not seek reelection after serving two terms and will leave office Jan. 4. ✄

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Elen (11th November 2020), Emil El Zapato (10th November 2020), Justjane (11th November 2020), Octopus Garden (11th November 2020), Wind (10th November 2020)

Thanks
    This is nice and concise.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Elen (11th November 2020), Emil El Zapato (10th November 2020), Justjane (11th November 2020), Octopus Garden (11th November 2020), Wind (10th November 2020)

Thanks
    Sean lives in Greensboro, NC. He served in his State House. "I have never seen the type of unmitigated attack..." "These allegations are baseless."

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Elen (11th November 2020), Emil El Zapato (10th November 2020), Justjane (11th November 2020), Octopus Garden (11th November 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    It actually took a massive pandemic to bring Trump down. What does it tell about the state of affairs in your country?

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

donk (21st November 2020), Emil El Zapato (10th November 2020), Fred Steeves (10th November 2020), Gio (10th November 2020), Justjane (11th November 2020), Octopus Garden (11th November 2020)

Thanks
    ... I'm curious about how global commonality impacts individual cultures. The less educated are generally more fearful of change because of the insular lives they tend to lead. Having no exposure to 'difference' it is just frightening for them ... those that have negative personalties in any case, even the most educated can still harbor that fear but it is far more prevalent in rural communities in the U.S. As a general rule to survive in rural America doesn't take a lot of education, just experience which, of course, is invaluable but by default is limited in its application. And that is where we find the hardest lines between us and them.

Are their similarities in your world?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Justjane (11th November 2020), Octopus Garden (11th November 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,015 Times in 2,615 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    It actually took a massive pandemic to bring Trump down.
    Ain't that the truth! Without Covid, Captain Chaos easily defeats Empty Suit, and glides on in for another 4.

Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    What does it tell about the state of affairs in your country?
    I think both of those sorry ass candidates tell us a lot about the state of our affairs. It tells a very sad story indeed. These were our best and brightest up on display to choose from? Pffffttttt...

It seems to always go back to Carlin:

When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.
    And what a freak show we continue to witness up close and personal like. How's the view from the cheap seats?
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

donk (21st November 2020), Elen (11th November 2020), Gio (10th November 2020), Justjane (11th November 2020), Octopus Garden (11th November 2020), Wind (12th November 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 37,150 Times in 7,345 Posts

Statement

In a nutshell ...

Who Formally Declares the Winner of the U.S. Presidential Election?

"The unusual and complicated presidential election certification process in the U.S. entwines all 50 states and the District of Columbia, the Senate, House of Representatives, the National Archives and the Office of the Federal Register.

With the U.S. presidential election rapidly approaching at a time of extraordinary political and social disruption, the possibility of an unclear or contested result is coming under scrutiny.

Unlike many other countries, where the president or prime minister is chosen by direct popular vote, in the U.S., a candidate may win the popular vote and still not be elected to the nation’s highest office. The U.S. also differs from most other democracies in that it has no independent electoral commission to certify the final vote count.

So who actually confirms the winner?

Step #1: Before Election Day

American democracy has many elected officials – state, local and national – and many processes for getting into office.

I have been working on election campaigns since I was eight years old, when my dad ran for school board and I went door to door asking people to vote for him. I’ve also worked on local, congressional, senate and presidential races and now direct an academic research center on politics.

What’s striking is that every race is different, from deadlines and filing process to certification. Here, I’ll focus here on the presidential race.

The unusual and complicated presidential election certification process in the U.S. entwines all 50 states and the District of Columbia, the Senate, House of Representatives, the National Archives and the Office of the Federal Register. It also involves the Electoral College – a uniquely American institution that convenes in 51 separate locations once every four years to pick the president.

This four-month process was custom designed as a compromise by the Founding Fathers, who did not believe the American people should directly choose the president and vice president but did not want to give Congress the power of selection, either.

The Constitution declares that American presidential elections occur on the first Tuesday in November, every four years. But the federal election process actually begins in October, when the Archivist of the United States – a presidential appointee responsible for maintaining the government’s most important official documents – sends a letter to the governor of each state.

The document outlines their responsibilities regarding the Electoral College, which is not a place but a process by which electors – people who are chosen by their party – vote for their party’s presidential candidate.

The machinery of the Electoral College is complicated, but in short Americans vote for electors and the electors vote for the president. Then, the winner is declared – right?

Step #2: After Election Day

Not quite.

Once a final tally of voters’ in-person, mail-in and provisional ballots has been concluded, all 50 governors prepare their state’s Certificate of Ascertainment, a document listing their electors for the competing candidates.

Each state completes that process at its own rate. This year, because of the pandemic, finalizing the electoral vote count will likely take a lot longer. Once completed, copies of the Certificate of Ascertainment are then submitted to the U.S. Archivist.

After the governor submits names to the Archivist, each state’s Electoral College electors meet in the state capital – D.C.‘s meet in D.C. – to formally cast their votes for president and vice president on the first Monday after the second Wednesday in December. This year, that’s Dec. 14, 2020.

In ways that vary state by state, each state’s electors then prepares six Certificates of Vote, which are sent by registered mail to the President of the U.S. Senate and the Archivist of the United States. The remaining four certificates are sent to state officials.

That fulfills the Electoral College’s duties until the next presidential election.

Step #3: Congress meets

On Jan. 6, Congress convenes to count the electoral votes and certify the winner of the election.

Because the sitting vice president also serves as president of the Senate, Mike Pence will preside over this count in 2021, just as Vice President Joe Biden did in January 2017 when Donald Trump officially became president-elect. Each state, called upon in alphabetical order, files its votes.

This process is in some respects ceremonial, because by January the media has declared a winner and usually a concession speech has been given. But, officially, it is the moment of truth.

At the end of the Senate’s electoral vote count, the vice president announces the results and asks if there are any objections. In 2001 Democratic House representatives tried for 20 minutes to block Florida’s highly contested electoral votes for George W. Bush.

That effort failed, because objections must be signed by both a member of the House and the Senate before being voted on by both chambers of Congress. It fell to Vice President Al Gore, as president of the Senate, to declare Bush – his Republican opponent – the winner of the 2000 election.

After the Senate certifies the election results, all the Certificates of Ascertainment and Certificates of Vote then become available for public review at the Office of the Federal Registrar for one year, then transferred to the National Archives for the permanent record. Those who question the outcome of a U.S. election, in other words, can actually double-check the tabulations themselves.

In the extraordinary event that no candidate wins in the Electoral College, the House of Representatives meets to elect the next president. This is how John Quincy Adams became president in 1824.

Established almost 250 years ago, this complex process is a foundation of American democracy. Many have questioned whether this antiquated system truly represents the will of the people in modern America.

But for 2020, it remains the process that will decide the presidential race."

The Conversation
    Source/reference page

Of course there's always this optional alternative process ...
    used just once so far...

Last edited by Gio, 10th November 2020 at 19:03.
    Presenting an alternative to the alternative community.

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th November 2020), Elen (11th November 2020), Emil El Zapato (10th November 2020), Justjane (11th November 2020), Octopus Garden (11th November 2020), Wind (12th November 2020)

Thanks
    was just over => and saw this and was wondering if anyone knows what I don't about the membership: T Smith (Today), TargeT (Today),

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Elen (11th November 2020), Octopus Garden (11th November 2020), Wind (12th November 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    was just over => and saw this and was wondering if anyone knows what I don't about the membership: T Smith (Today), TargeT (Today),
    They're not the same person, if that is what you're inquiring about.

In T Smith 's case, the "T" is just the initial for his first name. TargeT is also a member here, and he has even been in a couple of the round-table videos that Gio and modwiz did together. He's with the US Coast Guard.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Elen (11th November 2020), Emil El Zapato (10th November 2020), Octopus Garden (11th November 2020), Wind (12th November 2020)

Thanks
    ok, I think I always assumed that it was the same name. Yeah, that's what I figured. I'll leave it at that... ok, i won't. Not one of my favorite personas. Pretty much a wannabe without a clue.

I've discovered a new therapy ... do a nasty post and then delete it. No harm, no foul! Unless, of course, Aragorn, you advise me otherwise.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th November 2020), Elen (11th November 2020), Justjane (11th November 2020), Octopus Garden (11th November 2020)