Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nick Bostrom - The Simulation Argument

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,367 Times in 1,410 Posts

Nick Bostrom - The Simulation Argument

Are we living inside of a computer simulation?

http://www.simulation-argument.com/simulation.html

ABSTRACT. This paper argues that at least one of the following propositions is true: (1) the human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a "posthuman" stage; (2) any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or variations thereof); (3) we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation. It follows that the belief that there is a significant chance that we will one day become posthumans who run ancestor-simulations is false, unless we are currently living in a simulation. A number of other consequences of this result are also discussed.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnl6nY8YKHs

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Church For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th May 2015), bsbray (19th May 2015), Ciauzar (18th May 2015), idigress (28th August 2015), MaryMay (19th May 2015), modwiz (18th May 2015), pointessa (13th September 2016), RikkiTikkiTavi (15th September 2015), Verum (18th May 2015), Zebowho (18th May 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    The organic world is a hologram. It is real because holograms are how physical reality works. Organic holograms are the living interactive way we conduct spiritual business within the construct of physical reality. I get into this subject in one of my videos.

Last edited by modwiz, 18th May 2015 at 18:05.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

4. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th May 2015), bsbray (19th May 2015), Church (18th May 2015), Ciauzar (18th May 2015), Dracon (18th May 2015), Dreamtimer (5th July 2015), ERK (19th May 2015), idigress (28th August 2015), jonsnow (18th May 2015), MaryMay (19th May 2015), mojo (19th May 2015), pointessa (13th September 2016), Rebel&Rocket (19th May 2015), RikkiTikkiTavi (15th September 2015), Zebowho (18th May 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,701 Times in 325 Posts
    well yes and well no

yes well we live in God's dream were every decision happens you can do be or become anything there are no limitations but what ones you give yourself .

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jonsnow For This Useful Post:

bsbray (19th May 2015), Ciauzar (18th May 2015), RikkiTikkiTavi (15th September 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by jonsnow View Post
    well yes and well no

yes well we live in God's dream were every decision happens you can do be or become anything there are no limitations but what ones you give yourself .
    Thanks for sharing your understanding with us.

Yes, your one sentence should provide clarity to this deep subject.
    Last edited by modwiz, 18th May 2015 at 18:22.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

bsbray (19th May 2015), Church (18th May 2015), Ciauzar (18th May 2015), jonsnow (18th May 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Yeah the explanation as given by jonsnow doesn't seem to really hold up in the context of this theory. If this theory is true, there is no God... there is only a programmer. And chances are the programmer would be nothing more than program code from a larger simulation, and so on. In fact, the idea that anyone would believe they can be or do anything they want would have been programmed into the code by the programmer. It doesn't really offer any meta explanations.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Church For This Useful Post:

bsbray (19th May 2015), Ciauzar (18th May 2015), jonsnow (18th May 2015), modwiz (18th May 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,701 Times in 325 Posts
    church you are the programmer god is only a observer he rarely helps lol ( ie help yourself )

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jonsnow For This Useful Post:

bsbray (19th May 2015), Church (18th May 2015), Ciauzar (19th May 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,406 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Theories, assumptions, illusions, philosophizing, guesses, intellectualizing, etc.....................Who...... KNOWS ???

Not I and actually that is probably a good thing, as I think I might not be having this experience if I had the answers. Could be, I may end up being the programmer and or even God.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sandy For This Useful Post:

bsbray (19th May 2015), Church (18th May 2015), Ciauzar (19th May 2015), idigress (28th August 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 234 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by sandy View Post
    Theories, assumptions, illusions, philosophizing ... I may end up being the programmer and [/] or even God.
    Agreed ... but if not ... "God" should beg our forgiveness ...

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dianna For This Useful Post:

bsbray (19th May 2015), Church (18th May 2015), Ciauzar (19th May 2015), Dracon (18th May 2015), sandy (18th May 2015)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Oh! There was this movie on Tv recently, or within the year. It was a three day show only. Man I want to remember the name! But it showed a group of people in a simulation., where they thought they were in a spaceship and had somewhere great to go. The time frame of the show was the 50's or so..
    One guy escaped and had a mental breakdown realizing that wasnt 'real'.
    I think the people who did it wanted to see what would happen in that scenario. Then! there was this young girl born who had special abilities. they tried to make them go away with injections. Anyways, your post brought me to this memory.

Also I have avoided this topic of 'Oh we live in a simulation or hologram" because I just couldnt grok it.

The organic world is a hologram. It is real because holograms are how physical reality works. Organic holograms are the living interactive way we conduct spiritual business within the construct of physical reality. I get into this subject in one of my videos.

Then hearing your post about Organic holograms is natural that is SOO great to hear! Im starting to get it now..

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaryMay For This Useful Post:

bsbray (19th May 2015), Ciauzar (19th May 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 35,468 Times in 10,173 Posts
    Ok, so when princess Diana died, there were many people who disliked her, some even hated her, they cried tears of sadness, of pain etc, the programme sucked them in as such ?.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

bsbray (19th May 2015)

(account terminated)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,366 Times in 282 Posts
    So who wrote the program that is used by the programmers?

Turtles all the way down, right?

there is another proposition that he conveniently leaves out.

#4. We don't live in a computer simulation.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hermit For This Useful Post:

bsbray (19th May 2015), Church (19th May 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,290 Times in 688 Posts
    For those with Eyes to see....check this out:

Laird Scranton discovered what he thought was quantum strings in Ancient Egyptian texts

I who have studied Ancient Egyptian Texts for a VERY long time remembered this:

This had interested me for days then I saw it...

The crown

The goddess Neith (left) and Nephthys (crown; "inverted" throne with Neb) before dual images of Osiris

The approach used to calculate all the quantities of interest in the theory remains old-fashioned perturbation theory, which assumes a reasonable starting point and then tries to home in on the correct result by adding an infinite series of corrections. In quantum electrodynamics, these perturbation corrections were represented by Feynman diagrams, and, on summing up infinite numbers of terms, results of surprising accuracy were achieved. On the other hand, when it came to gravity, the perturbation series failed totally to represent a curved space-time by adding a finite number of corrections to an initially flat space-time. Perturbation theory is often plagued with infinity, and infinite sum (when the coupling constant is not small). Superstrings are supposed to be a theory about gravity and matter. Yet physicists continue to treat them as if they exist in a flat background space-time, a picture they hope will be corrected by using a perturbation series. Clearly this whole approach is inadequate and obscures the power of the superstrings themselves.

M-theory and duality were introduced to overcome the difficulty. Although this approach have yet to give us definitive information about four-dimensional vacua, they have already clarified much of the nonperturbative nature of string theory in 10, 8, and even 6 dimensions, giving us a complex web of dualities between different string compactifications.

http://universe-review.ca/R15-18-string06.htm

In mathematics, a duality, generally speaking, translates concepts, theorems or mathematical structures into other concepts, theorems or structures, in a one-to-one fashion, often (but not always) by means of an involution operation: if the dual of A is B, then the dual of B is A. Such involutions sometimes have fixed points, so that the dual of A is A itself. For example, Desargues' theorem in projective geometry is self-dual in this sense.

Many mathematical dualities between objects of two types correspond to pairings, bilinear functions from an object of one type and another object of the second type to some family of scalars. For instance, linear algebra duality corresponds in this way to bilinear maps from pairs of vector spaces to scalars, the duality between distributions and the associated test functions corresponds to the pairing in which one integrates a distribution against a test function, and Poincaré duality corresponds similarly to intersection number, viewed as a pairing between submanifolds of a given manifold.

Duality can also be seen as a functor, at least in the realm of vector spaces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duality_%28mathematics%29

NOW:

Look at the glyph I posted once again....

Neith: Her name also may be interpreted as meaning water.

Nephthys: goddess of rivers...Flow/Action

HINT:

The secret is in the throne....look at it closely.

In linear algebra terms, the dual code is the annihilator of C with respect to the bilinear form <,>. The dimension of C and its dual always add up to the length n:

\dim C + \dim C^\perp = n.

A generator matrix for the dual code is a parity-check matrix for the original code and vice versa. The dual of the dual code is always the original code.

A self-dual code is one which is its own dual. This implies that n is even and dim C = n/2. If a self-dual code is such that each codeword's weight is a multiple of some constant c > 1, then it is of one of the following four types:

Type I codes are binary self-dual codes which are not doubly even.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_code

"Doubly-even self-dual linear binary error-correcting block code"

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1LCVknKUJ4

Type I codes are binary self-dual codes which are not doubly even.

~
    NOW....Again....

Count the lines in the throne.

~

"Doubly-even self-dual linear binary error-correcting block code"

supersymmetry (SUSY)

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc5c608C9RY

I think, I think I am, therefore I am, I think.

Of course you are my bright little star, I've miles And miles Of files Pretty files of your forefather's fruit and now to suit our great computer, You're magnetic ink.

I'm more than that, I know I am, at least, I think I must be.

There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles And piles Of trials With smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave And keep on thinking free.

Last edited by Shadowself, 19th May 2015 at 14:03.

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Shadowself For This Useful Post:

bsbray (19th May 2015), Church (19th May 2015), Dreamtimer (5th July 2015), idigress (28th August 2015), jonsnow (19th May 2015), lcam88 (6th July 2015), MaryMay (19th May 2015), modwiz (19th May 2015), RikkiTikkiTavi (5th July 2015)

Thanks
    A game?

Our Universe may be a Matrix-Like Computer Game Designed by Aliens, says NASA Scientist:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypegmGRLoRM

WELCOME to The Matrix. You've lived here all your life.

Everything you have ever done or will do could simply be the product of a highly-advanced computer code.

Every relationship, every sentiment, every memory could have been generated by banks of supercomputers.

This was the terrifying theory first proposed by British philosopher Nick Bostrom.

The shocking hypothesis was penned four years after Andrew and Lana Wachowski wrote and directed The Matrix, a film set in a dystopian future in which humans are subdued by a simulated reality.

In his paper, Dr Bostrom suggested a race of far-evolved descendants could be behind our digital imprisonment.

The futuristic beings – human or otherwise – could be using virtual reality to simulate a time in the past or recreate how their remote ancestors lived.

Sound crazy? Well, it turns out NASA thinks Dr Bostrom might be right.

Rich Terrile, director of the Centre for Evolutionary Computation and Automated Design at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, has spoken out about the digital simulation.

"Right now the fastest NASA supercomputers are cranking away at about double the speed of the human brain," the NASA scientist told Vice.

"If you make a simple calculation using Moore's Law [which roughly claims computers double in power every two years], you'll find that these supercomputers, inside of a decade, will have the ability to compute an entire human lifetime of 80 years – including every thought ever conceived during that lifetime – in the span of a month.

"In quantum mechanics, particles do not have a definite state unless they're being observed.

"Many theorists have spent a lot of time trying to figure out how you explain this.

"One explanation is that we're living within a simulation, seeing what we need to see when we need to see it.

"What I find inspiring is that, even if we are in a simulation or many orders of magnitude down in levels of simulation, somewhere along the line something escaped the primordial ooze to become us and to result in simulations that made us – and that's cool."

The idea that our Universe is a fiction generated by computer code solves a number of inconsistencies and mysteries about the cosmos.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...NASA-Scientist

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/is-...s-the-evidence

http://yournewswire.com/universe-a-m...iens-say-nasa/

VALIS

Vast Active Living Intelligence System
    Last edited by Shadowself, 19th May 2015 at 17:49.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shadowself For This Useful Post:

Church (19th May 2015), Dreamtimer (5th July 2015), idigress (28th August 2015), RikkiTikkiTavi (5th July 2015), sandy (19th May 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Shadowself, that is awesome supplemental info. Thank you for adding! I swear if I can find more time I will add more here as well...

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Church For This Useful Post:

Shadowself (20th May 2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Church View Post
    Shadowself, that is awesome supplemental info. Thank you for adding! I swear if I can find more time I will add more here as well...
    Good morning Church and interested parties!

Thank you Church. I have some more interesting adds to this but no time today as I have a very busy work schedule. Perhaps over the weekend I'll show you some things that absolutely floored me along these lines. Things from the Ancient civilizations that lean in this direction in a BIG way.

It's a crazy idea....but is it crazy enough to be true?

What truth can be derived from an acronym? I don't know....you tell me?

A computer is composed of logic gates of a basic.... YES AND NOT Correct?

check it:

Micro Array of Yes And Not ~ MAYAN

Nah!!!! Couldn't be....huh?

DNA computing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAYA-II

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_computing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic_gate

Last edited by Shadowself, 20th May 2015 at 15:07.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shadowself For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (11th July 2015), RikkiTikkiTavi (15th September 2015)