Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: herbalist-nutritionist help wanted

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,007 Times in 1,526 Posts

herbalist-nutritionist help wanted

My Grandfather had bad knee problems an had to have artificial knees put in later in his life. For the last few weeks my knees always ache. I'm having other health issues as well. My eye doctor said possible glaucoma and have to get tested again soon. Also my blood pressure is still a little higher than normal. I was always so healthy. I like the idea of using nutrition and listened to Dr Joel Wallach on the recent coast to coast episode, but his supplements are really expensive. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by mojo, 14th May 2015 at 02:38.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Useful Post:

bsbray (14th May 2015), Cearna (15th May 2015), Ciauzar (15th May 2015), Frances (14th May 2015), GCS1103 (15th May 2015), lookbeyond (14th May 2015), MaryMay (14th May 2015), modwiz (14th May 2015), sandancer (14th May 2015)

(account terminated) United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,648 Times in 2,895 Posts
    I wouldn't be surprised if all of these conditions are connected in way you're living from day to day. I'm not sure where you live, mojo, or if you ever get out of the country, but there are some forms of traditional Chinese medicine that I would trust for these things. Since you ask for herbalist advice I guess you realize that the only thing western medicine will offer you is pills.

I had pain in my knee too and I went to a doctor and he gave me pills that increased my risk of heart disease. I never took the first damned pill, did my own research and found that inflamed knees (which is what I had -- inflammation in the knee) and all inflammation in general is often caused by an improper ratio of different kinds of fats to each other. It can also be caused by a lack of magnesium (critical to most metabolic processes), or a few other imbalances or missing nutrients. So I started taking omega-9 supplements (fish oil -- which I would not recommend) and it didn't do anything miraculous. I stopped taking those too and then just gradually changed my eating habits over the years and my knee doesn't bother me now. My girlfriend is from Brazil and has me eating all kinds of green things I normally would never eat, plus a lot more broccoli and mushrooms and rice.

She tells me of doctors in Brazil too, in Brasilia, that are trained in Chinese medicine and could tell her amazingly personal things about herself just by looking at various signs on her body, and they prescribe herbs, changes in lifestyle and other non-invasive and non-pill treatments. This kind of stuff is kind of pushed out of the US and probably a lot of other westernized countries, but those are the kinds of doctors I would recommend, if you can find one.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to bsbray For This Useful Post:

All is One (16th May 2015), Cearna (15th May 2015), Ciauzar (15th May 2015), Frances (15th May 2015), GCS1103 (15th May 2015), MaryMay (14th May 2015), modwiz (14th May 2015), mojo (14th May 2015), sandancer (14th May 2015), sandy (14th May 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thank you for sharing. This is pretty similar to what Dr Wallach was saying on coast.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Useful Post:

bsbray (14th May 2015), Cearna (15th May 2015), Ciauzar (15th May 2015), Frances (15th May 2015), GCS1103 (15th May 2015), modwiz (14th May 2015), sandancer (14th May 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,583 Times in 325 Posts
    Achy knees are a classic symptom of lyme disease, that's one of the first symptoms my daughter and I had...........

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ERK For This Useful Post:

bsbray (14th May 2015), Cearna (15th May 2015), Ciauzar (15th May 2015), Frances (15th May 2015), mojo (14th May 2015)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by mojo View Post
    My Grandfather had bad knee problems an had to have artificial knees put in later in his life. For the last few weeks my knees always ache. ....... My eye doctor said possible glaucoma and have to get tested again soon. Also my blood pressure is still a little higher than normal. .......
    Hi Mojo, Just sharing what I know and have experienced, and use it if it's useful and of course, toss it out if it isn't..... I agree with the commenters who are talking about diet and supplements. We know refined sugar causes inflammation and that inflammation is then related to all kinds of other things that you wouldn't necessarily think of, like achey muscles and high blood pressure. Of course, stay as far away from high fructose corn syrup as you can, also.

I swim laps and walk and do the elliptical at the gym several times a week, which strengthens my knees (I've had arthritis in my knees since age 30, but the swimming keeps it very much under control and I don't think about it for sometimes months at a time)....General strengthening of muscles around the knees is very good, in general.

I also have had elevated eye pressure (glaucoma-like situation) for a number of years. My ophthalmologist happens to be my cousin so I have had very good eye exams and lots of advice and attention about it. I've put together things that he has told me as well as researched it on my own....

My cousin the ophthalmologist always recommends exercise because one of the biggest things for keeping the optic nerve healthy is continual flushing out of the fluids there -- general exercise accomplishes this by moving the fluids through.

Keeping weight down and general blood pressure down is also important for eye pressure. But: Even if you have high eye pressure, if you keep the fluids moving and flushed out, the high pressure does not do significant damage to the optic nerve -- which is what causes glaucoma. So -- as I mentioned in the paragraph above, do exercise!

Eating asparagus "may help" he has also always told me..that there is a little bit of medical evidence to support this...perhaps it is due to the diuretic effects of asparagus -- asparagus helps to flush out the system.

Also: sleep with your head elevated by a pillow... When you sleep "flat" without your head elevated, this tends to raise eye pressure.

More and more I think that eating a very raw, unrefined non-GMO food, high in green leafies and vitamin A (bright colored veggies) and vitamin C is always very good and solves all kinds of things that one doesn't usually think of.

The website below is also very good I think... you can check out what all these six unconventional doctors have to say ...they have very good websites....

https://medium.com/@Frodonomics2015/...n-6579c3960eee
    Last edited by Gretchen, 14th May 2015 at 03:47.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Gretchen For This Useful Post:

bsbray (14th May 2015), Cearna (15th May 2015), Ciauzar (15th May 2015), Frances (15th May 2015), GCS1103 (15th May 2015), MaryMay (14th May 2015), mojo (14th May 2015), sandancer (14th May 2015), sandy (14th May 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thank you I was worried hearing the prognosis especially after she took a while looking at the back of the eye. It is the eye pressure that you mention. My knees are so achey right now, exercise is awesome but with the soreness even when walking I feel it. It would be nice to lesson that before activity. I have heard of condriton or glucosomine (sp?) before and maybe that would be something? Sorry to dwell on the issues...

PS ALSO thanks about thinking Lyme disease we have that in Oregon but I watch good for them
    Last edited by mojo, 14th May 2015 at 04:09.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Useful Post:

bsbray (14th May 2015), Cearna (15th May 2015), Ciauzar (15th May 2015), Frances (15th May 2015), GCS1103 (15th May 2015), sandancer (14th May 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,583 Times in 325 Posts
    Glucosamine can help, enzymes like boluoke or Vitalzym which break down deposits, nano curcumin for inflammation, boswellia for pain/inflammation..........are good for issues like that. An alkaline plant diet is always good, for the eyes there are nutrients like bilberry, lutein astaxanthin..........list goes on. I get eye pressure in my right eye which is actually just lyme in my eye/ Lyme is all over and bioengineered. I never had a tick on me BTW- it can be transferred from flea, flies and other vectors.

Edited to add- Coleus forskohlii can reverse glaucoma.

And make sure you are getting good oils in your diet (hemp, dark pumpkinseed, etc)
    Last edited by ERK, 14th May 2015 at 04:43.

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ERK For This Useful Post:

bsbray (14th May 2015), Cearna (15th May 2015), Ciauzar (15th May 2015), Frances (15th May 2015), GCS1103 (15th May 2015), MaryMay (14th May 2015), mojo (14th May 2015), onelove (14th May 2015), pointessa (15th May 2015), sandancer (14th May 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    mojo--

I encourage you (and everyone else) to watch this video by Jerry Tennant.

It gives info regarding the importance of magnesium to our electrical system, which is the bottom line basis of our health.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo54c4Nsi9I

Peace Love Joy & Harmony,
    genevieve

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to genevieve For This Useful Post:

bsbray (14th May 2015), Cearna (15th May 2015), Ciauzar (15th May 2015), Frances (15th May 2015), GCS1103 (15th May 2015), LizM (25th May 2015), MaryMay (14th May 2015), mojo (14th May 2015)

Thanks
    HI, great advice everyone!
    All I would add is that glucosamine and chrondrotin are not that great to take, they're big pills and some people cant digest them. Also it contains shellfish, if youre allergic, I am.

A nutritionist would ask you to make a food diary. You can do this for yourself. For some it helps to look at the list. Then it can be more obvious whats missing.. Like wow I didnt eat veggies for 4 days! lol.

For a budget version, you could try smoothies with green powder ( I look for whats on sale or wait) or add whatever you can to the smoothie. Thie idea is to eat nutrient dense foods.
    Oils are also good. Like avocados, yum! fish oil, flax oil..

Best!

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MaryMay For This Useful Post:

bsbray (14th May 2015), Cearna (15th May 2015), Ciauzar (15th May 2015), Frances (15th May 2015), GCS1103 (15th May 2015), mojo (14th May 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    When it comes to aging and joints, making sure one is properly hydrated cannot be emphasized enough. Muscles and tendons need lots of moisture to stay supple. When connective tissue dries out it hardens and the nerve cells that "live" in that tissue report back unhappiness with their environment. Also, less hydration means less blood volume and the cells do not nourish and flush toxins as efficiently. All of this leads to pain/discomfort.

If not applicable, then disregard.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

bsbray (15th May 2015), Cearna (15th May 2015), Ciauzar (15th May 2015), Frances (15th May 2015), GCS1103 (15th May 2015), JByas (14th May 2015), MaryMay (14th May 2015), mojo (14th May 2015), pointessa (15th May 2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    When it comes to aging and joints, making sure one is properly hydrated cannot be emphasized enough. Muscles and tendons need lots of moisture to stay supple. When connective tissue dries out it hardens and the nerve cells that "live" in that tissue report back unhappiness with their environment. Also, less hydration means less blood volume and the cells do not nourish and flush toxins as efficiently. All of this leads to pain/discomfort.

If not applicable, then disregard.

Currently composing my reply and that's #1 on my list!

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JByas For This Useful Post:

bsbray (15th May 2015), Cearna (15th May 2015), Frances (15th May 2015), GCS1103 (15th May 2015), modwiz (14th May 2015), mojo (14th May 2015)

Thanks

Lightbulb Eat to Live

I work 18 hours a day mostly on my feet climbing ladders fixing/mounting things and such, so the things I suggest aren't hypothesis.
    sidenote: an ex girlfriend is a personal trainer

1. Water is most important!
    Joint and muscle health has alot to do with how much water you consume.
    I had alot of aches and pains until I read a similar article and now I make sure to consume at least 100 fl. oz of water or more daily

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/behar12.htm

2.Get a nutribullet! I take my nutribullet everywhere I go, and I use it everyday! E-V-E-R-Y-DAY!
    You're just not gonna be able to consume all the veggies and fruits your body needs a day, so it helps

https://nutribullet.com/?gclid=CPbEz...FYNDaQodmZ4A9A

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVJ2i-owUCY

Now of course you're still not gonna want to chop alot of veggies/fruits and it can be quite expensive to purchase organic at whole foods...
    so I purchase frozen fruit bags or go to the fresh fruits already cut.

The important thing is to get the most and best nutrition in your system!

Anti-Inflammatory Blast

All of the ingredients in this recipe are anti-inflammatory superstars! Pineapple is known for its inflammation-reducing enzyme bromelain and celery and cucumber help 'cool' your system, relieving inflammed areas, while helping you feel better all over. It's refreshingly tasty, too!

https://www.nutriliving.com/recipes/...ammatory-blast

my brother has bad knees so he adds ginger root to his blast

http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-ginger-root.html

Ok so... alot of the best things for your body arent available in our region , I recommend Z natural Foods

I get all my blast additives on this site, they carry the top organic freeze dried nutrients in the world!
    Best of all you can do research based on "health concern"

http://www.znaturalfoods.com/Shop-By-Health-Concern

My top additives are for my blasts are...

Red Reishi
    http://www.znaturalfoods.com/Red-Rei...Extract-Powder

Side note: Really helps my joint pain/arthritis IMO

Chaga
    http://www.znaturalfoods.com/Chaga-Mushroom-Powder

Schizandra Berry
    http://www.znaturalfoods.com/Schizan...Powder-Organic

Ultimate Superfood Fusion
    http://www.znaturalfoods.com/Ultimate-Superfood-Fusion

I add other things for protein and such... but I dont wanna write a book!
    Hope you find these things helpful!
    Last edited by JByas, 14th May 2015 at 21:33.

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JByas For This Useful Post:

bsbray (15th May 2015), Ciauzar (15th May 2015), Dreamtimer (15th May 2015), Frances (15th May 2015), GCS1103 (15th May 2015), modwiz (14th May 2015), mojo (14th May 2015), pointessa (15th May 2015)

Thanks
    Just ordered some more Amla (Amalaki) Powder... Z Natural is so addictive! But in a good way!

● Increasing blood flow & circulation even to your smallest capillaries
    ● Supporting healthy cholesterol levels
    ● Strong antioxidant properties
    ● May reduce clot-causing fibrin levels
    ● May prevent premature grey hair
    ● Acting as a body coolant
    ● Flushing out toxins
    ● Nourishing the brain & may improve mental functions
    ● Fortifying for the liver, spleen & lungs
    ● Excellent full body rejuvenator
    ● Preventing oxidant-induced thickening of vessel walls
    ● Improving muscle tone
    ● Helping the urinary system
    ● May reduce total cholesterol & LDL in animal studies
    ● May support a healthy heart
    ● May improve blood vessel flexibility
    ● Supporting healthy cardiovascular system
    ● Increasing vitality
    ● May reduce blood sugar in diabetic laboratory animals
    ● Antibacterial
    ● Enhancing cellular regeneration
    ● Preventing inflammatory blood cells from “sticking” to endothelial linings
    ● May strengthen the bones & teeth
    ● May improve digestion
    ● Curbing free-radical oxidation of cholesterol in your heart & arteries
    ● Regulating elimination
    ● Reducing serum & tissue lipid levels in animals by mechanisms similar to those of the statin drugs - but without detectable adverse effects
    ● May lower your C-reactive protein
    ● May Reduce both systolic & diastolic
    ● Enhancing fertility
    ● Shielding you against cardiovascular inflammation
    ● Causing hair & nails to grow
    ● May strengthen & improving eyesight
    ● Containing ellagic acid, gallic acid, emblicanin A+B, superoxide dismutase (SOD), glutathione peroxidase & catalase

https://www.znaturalfoods.com/Amla-A...Powder-Organic

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JByas For This Useful Post:

bsbray (15th May 2015), Ciauzar (15th May 2015), Frances (15th May 2015), GCS1103 (15th May 2015), modwiz (14th May 2015), mojo (14th May 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info and links JByas...

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Useful Post:

bsbray (15th May 2015), Cearna (15th May 2015), Frances (15th May 2015), JByas (15th May 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,133 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by mojo View Post
    My Grandfather had bad knee problems an had to have artificial knees put in later in his life. For the last few weeks my knees always ache. I'm having other health issues as well. My eye doctor said possible glaucoma and have to get tested again soon. Also my blood pressure is still a little higher than normal. I was always so healthy. I like the idea of using nutrition and listened to Dr Joel Wallach on the recent coast to coast episode, but his supplements are really expensive. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Dear Mojo, this is what has helped me. Ive gone from waking in the night with aching knees and hips to occasional knee pain usually associated with too much stationary bike riding whilst i stargaze
    Now if you are vegetarian this may not be an option.

When i was investigating how to help my childrens teeth remineralise, i decided to put them on a largely Weston-Price diet regime. This includes regular bone broth, which i make using a variety of bones from grass fed organic bred cows. I went to local farmers market and found some really overpriced meat sellers and then fortunately came across a couple who believe healthy meat should be the same price as the supermarket variety to allow all to afford it- Bless them.

I add bone broth to my main meals a few times/week now, however when we started last year it was almost daily, for several months. I was nervous about it at first and my husband was worried about any extra fat re his cholesterol however when it cools i remove it from the top and dont use any oil at all to cook with, basically cooking the meat/veg in the bone broth instead.It is the gelatine and cartilage and minerals from the bones which supposedly help with the healing of our bodies not only teeth but joints and importantly also our gut.

Mojo, i also incorporate tumeric into our meals most days, i went thru a stage last year where it was tumeric on avacado on toast of a morning every day for many weeks, it is not an expensive spice even organic and can be bought in bulk as in 1kg reasonably- i consider it a treatment and preventative- same with fresh ginger ( tea with teaspoon coconut extra virgin org coconut oil).

My motto with food has become quality over indulgence, eg we dont eat out ( maybe couple times/year) except for family gathering), i dont drink alcohol, or smoke so that is a saving i use on healthy alternatives. I always check if organic is on sale, some fruit and veg always buy organic eg brocoli. So with reguard to expense, its also about discernment- what makes sense and is a priority to you and in my case- what doesnt push my husband (asleep in the matrix) -too far.

Hope this helps, love lb

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lookbeyond For This Useful Post:

bsbray (15th May 2015), Cearna (15th May 2015), Ciauzar (15th May 2015), Frances (15th May 2015), GCS1103 (15th May 2015), mojo (15th May 2015)