Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: herbalist-nutritionist help wanted

Retired Member UK
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,600 Times in 1,366 Posts
    Must admit, Modwiz is right about keeping hydration levels up.
    Dehydration can lead to episodes of gout.
    A very painful inflammatory situation of the joints.

Good water flushing of the body system is helpful and important. More so, if on medication.
    People can be put off drinking extra water due to the need for the toilet.
    It's a balance that has to be considered and taken into account.
    The flushing of the body system is quite important.
    Getting older it is a thing I remind myself about.
    Frances.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frances For This Useful Post:

bsbray (15th May 2015), Cearna (15th May 2015), GCS1103 (15th May 2015), MaryMay (15th May 2015), modwiz (15th May 2015), mojo (15th May 2015)

(account terminated)
    Thanks
    I have always been in good health so when I started having some achy knees and arms I had to come to the realization that like everybody else I am getting on in the years. For my knees, because if I sit for long periods of time my knees kind of freeze up and it's hard to get going. This is what I have done, I started doing yoga more regularly to help with the stiffness and for the pain I will put magnesium oil on my knees and arms plus I Take turmeric/ginger powders to my smoothies. I also take Glucosamine/Chondrotitin must be sulfate find a good quality source.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Collidescope For This Useful Post:

bsbray (15th May 2015), Cearna (15th May 2015), GCS1103 (15th May 2015), MaryMay (15th May 2015), modwiz (15th May 2015), mojo (15th May 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Collidescope View Post
    I have always been in good health so when I started having some achy knees and arms I had to come to the realization that like everybody else I am getting on in the years. For my knees, because if I sit for long periods of time my knees kind of freeze up and it's hard to get going. This is what I have done, I started doing yoga more regularly to help with the stiffness and for the pain I will put magnesium oil on my knees and arms plus I Take turmeric/ginger powders to my smoothies. I also take Glucosamine/Chondrotitin must be sulfate find a good quality source.
    Much stiffness is the result of hydration. Think of the difference between a moist, supple sponge and a dry, stiff sponge. True sponges are organic material like the connective tissue in our joints and respond similarly to hydration of lack of it.

There is more money to be made on supplements than drinking sufficient water so they are offered as primary solutions too often. How much water? Let your body guide you. Conceptually think of a sponge, well squeezed so it does not drip any water. Nice and flexible that way. It will dry out faster than a wetter sponge. So think moist instead of wet and hydrate moderately and frequently for best result if urination is a concern.

Good call in mentioning sulfur (sulfate) for joints. Sulfur is a huge part of our body and it is why burning flesh and hair stink the way they do. Broccoli, a high sulfur veggie, stinks like flesh when it goes bad. Sulfur is a very important mineral for connective tissue.
    Last edited by modwiz, 15th May 2015 at 01:19.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

bsbray (15th May 2015), Cearna (15th May 2015), GCS1103 (15th May 2015), MaryMay (15th May 2015), mojo (15th May 2015)

Retired Member Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by mojo View Post
    My Grandfather had bad knee problems an had to have artificial knees put in later in his life. For the last few weeks my knees always ache. I'm having other health issues as well. My eye doctor said possible glaucoma and have to get tested again soon. Also my blood pressure is still a little higher than normal. I was always so healthy. I like the idea of using nutrition and listened to Dr Joel Wallach on the recent coast to coast episode, but his supplements are really expensive. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Many people have had tremendous over-all health success with a vegan diet - especially a raw vegan diet. This is not say that you have to stay vegan, but consider some kind of routine like one month vegan, one month not - or six months vegan, six months not. I think you may be surprised at your results. But, you'd have to stick with it and not cheat when passing a McDonald's lol

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wild Child For This Useful Post:

bsbray (25th May 2015), Cearna (18th May 2015), MaryMay (19th May 2015), mojo (19th May 2015)

Retired Member Canada
    Thanks
    Oh, and someone mentioned sulfur - very, very important. Asparagus if very high in sulfur, but the best is to buy organic sulfur in powder form and make sulfur water from it. There's a method explained on cancertutor.com for making it (just Google 'cancertutor sulfur water' and you should find it). If you can find a pure MSM powder, that would work too, and it's much cheaper than the straight organic sulfur. You can get the pure MSM at msm-msm.com. The stuff tastes horrible, but it works not only for arthritis, but some claim for hair loss too! Most notably, people have used it effectively for cancer treatment. Couldn't hurt. Best of luck! And keep us informed about your progress.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wild Child For This Useful Post:

bsbray (25th May 2015), Cearna (18th May 2015), MaryMay (19th May 2015), mojo (18th May 2015)

In Memoriam United States
    Thanks
    Heck, nobody says their age and it makes a difference. I suffered for several years before I got a knee replacement in my late sixites. I am glad that I don't suffer that pain anymore. I can still sit cross legged but I can't get down on my replacement knee to garden.

But before you're reduced to your grandpa or a granny franny solution, check your shoes. Is bottom heel worn evenly across or only on the inner edge or outer edge? If so, see a foot doctor, you may have one leg shorter than another and this will grind up your hips and knees faster. By the time I found out my one inch difference....well, you get the idea. Custom insoles and high quality uncool shoes like SAS might help. So check out any structural problems first.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to grannyfranny For This Useful Post:

bsbray (25th May 2015), Cearna (18th May 2015), MaryMay (19th May 2015), mojo (18th May 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,042 Times in 1,040 Posts
    I used to have sore knees, from arthritis and sore hands as well. I went to the doctor and got progressively more intense pain killers of the addictive kind. Eventually, I said NO MORE (this is one of my favourite phrases) stopped the pain killers and the glusamimine and chondroutin and went cold turkey - guess what no more painful knees, Like you gf I have trouble getting up and down ( I am now 76), but am still pushing the wheelbarrow full of wood uphill on a bad slope - don't wont to , but my husband says he can't, so I'll just have to (he is 56). Yes, I get inflamed knees, and no doubt half of that is because I get angst at having to do the extra work now, having to do what he used to do as well as my own chores, but mostly, if it really hurts I use an ointment, called fisiocrem (used for muscle and joint pain, which is an Australian product, an ointment containing arnica, hypericum, calendula and melaleuca. If I think I need an antibiotic I buy a natural one called ArmaForce which contains Andrographis, olive leaf and Echinacea, or colloidal silver and I'm sure Sooz would offer the advice to try Manuka honey in its highest form that you can procure.

Also, if you can find a body worker like a Bowen therapist or some remedial massager, might be able to put both legs back to the same length. The lady I went to, kept bringing both my legs back to the same length, but after that you must be careful that when you get out of bed you put both feet on the ground first, then get up, not from one leg, and always be aware that you stand always on both legs, not going from one leg to the other, and don't dance using any steps that put all your balance onto one leg at a time. I kept making one leg shorter than the other by doing one or more of these things, often.

Oh!!!!!! and either use Reiki with your hands to put enough energy into the parts that pain, so that you have enough energy to heal that spot or if you like ask me in a pm about being given free energies to use for yourself or others.
    Last edited by Cearna, 18th May 2015 at 09:18.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cearna For This Useful Post:

bsbray (25th May 2015), grannyfranny (18th May 2015), MaryMay (19th May 2015), mojo (25th May 2015), sandancer (18th May 2015)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Grannyfranny, good advice re leg length. I have a friend, in his 40s, who has had chronic back pain and calcification and arthritic issues. It was just discovered last year that one of his legs is longer than the other. This was the source of his problems. If he hadn't discovered that, he may have ended up unable to walk.

I thought it was standard procedure to check that in a child's physical.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

bsbray (25th May 2015), Cearna (19th May 2015), grannyfranny (18th May 2015), MaryMay (19th May 2015), mojo (18th May 2015)

In Memoriam United States
    Thanks
    Dreamtimer, I don't know if it is standard or not or if it can change length any time. I lived with chronic foot and low back pain from about third or fourth grade. In my twenties and thirties I tried lots of modalities traditional and otherwise; nobody considered it. Before I had back fusion, I did all the alternatives therapies recommended by the government and none of the physical therapists check either. During back rehab, they couldn't take me to completion until I had knee surgery. It was the knee surgeon who told me. It was over 50 years that I explored so many options both insured and noninsured practitioners. That is why I suggested a foot doctor. Fifty years ago, a foot doctor didn't notice it but I think they would these days.

I think there are many possibilities that others have suggested. I will just hope for the best for others and it is hard to know what will help. I just think that structural problems should be ruled out.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grannyfranny For This Useful Post:

bsbray (25th May 2015), Cearna (19th May 2015), mojo (18th May 2015)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Hi, Just to add to all the good replies.. Msm can be taken in a capsule. I have that. Jarrow brand is reasonable priced. I think they meant its better in powder form, but whats better is just getting it in our bodies! lol

Also if the legs are different length, it could be from the hips being misaligned. Mine were. I found a chiro that adjusts them occasionally. My leg length goes back to normal then one goes up. It just takes time and persistence!
    best

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MaryMay For This Useful Post:

bsbray (25th May 2015), Cearna (19th May 2015), mojo (19th May 2015)

Retired Member Canada
    Thanks
    Yes, the MSM powder/crystal (bought in bulk) is a much more powerful form than what you'd be getting over the counter in pill/capsule form. You add the MSM (or sulfur) crystals to distilled water (or any water void of chlorine - since chlorine neutralizes MSM). It's my understanding that what you get in a bottle (caps/pill form) is compromised with several "fillers" and additives. So in essence, you're not getting enough per cap/pill/bottle.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wild Child For This Useful Post:

bsbray (25th May 2015), Cearna (19th May 2015), LizM (25th May 2015), mojo (25th May 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Hi Mojo
    Once you have possible dehydration taken care of I would suggest ZEOLITE WITH EDTA to remove heavy metals from your system. It can be found on eBay for a decent price. Also YouTube has home made foot detox bath that's very easy to follow. For $50 this helps circulate blood flow and removes toxins from your pores instead of your kidneys and liver working over time. I have chronic pain and the electric pulses relieves my pain. Plus you use sea salt with it and there's your magnesium. Any q let me know.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LizM For This Useful Post:

bsbray (25th May 2015), Cearna (26th May 2015), mojo (25th May 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,007 Times in 1,526 Posts
    just wanted to report that the ache has subsided after a week wih magnesium suppliment and more hydraton.Thank you all for the added knowledge of other possible alternatives...

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Useful Post:

bsbray (25th May 2015), Cearna (26th May 2015)