Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: What is consciousness

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    We're alive in these bodies but we're not always constrained by them. We leave the bounds of the physical when we travel astrally, dream, and other ways. We expand and experience and are unbound by space and time. We can't always recall. Maybe it's too much. Maybe it's too distracting. Honestly, if I could really recall my full spirit/soul knowledge and experience, this life and time here would be seen from a relative perspective and maybe I might decide I really don't need to come back, that there are bigger things to see or do. But I believe we're here for a reason and so we must experience this as our primary existence rather than the station stop that it is. So there's a veil. We don't always recall our full consciousness. We get reminders in dreams, visions, etc.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd April 2015), Cup (23rd April 2015), InCiDeR (24th April 2015), Sebastion (23rd April 2015), Wind (23rd April 2015)

In Memoriam
    Thanks
    Allow me to continue to expand upon my last post from my own experiences directly.

Anthony Robbins used to say that it took 21 days for anything to become a habit. He also freely admitted that he did not know why that was the case. I was extremely curious myself as to just why that was until I overheard a neurosurgeon state that it took neurons, neural networks, etc. 21 days to come up and active again after surgery. There is your first major clue.

Guerdjieff stated that when you unite the intent of the mind (masculine) with the intent of the heart(feminine), a third energy is produced. To become united within yourself regarding intent is, in my experience, the most powerful thing one can do for oneself because it produces results magnificently. You become united within your own beingness. Now let's suppose your intent is to make connections with your own higher mind and you are very passionate about it. That energy of pure intent will begin producing a neural network within the brain which will come online at the particular frequency necessary to access that area of awareness within the great light which surrounds your head. I have been working with that knowledge for over 30 years, off and on.

I was pleased to happen upon Dr Joe Dispenza's books last year and was very well pleased with what he has to say regarding neurons, neural networks, etc. as he confirmed my knowledge regarding that subject. You might want to check out what he has to say, for me it was good reading and an excellent source of knowledge for understanding what I am attempting to explain.

Please be advised that one has to be totally committed as this is not a race but a marathon. It is as Yoda has stated: Do or do not, there is no try.

You already have within you all the answers to whatever questions you have. The way to access that knowledge is to develop the neural networks which will allow you access to that knowledge by the use of pure intent to know.

Quote Originally posted by Eelco View Post
    So does consciousness exist outside our awareness?
    If we are tuned to a specific frequency of consciousness, are we then conscious of only that frequency?

By what definition does the whole of consciousness go, and what should we call that what we as individuals van become conscious of.

taken that consciousness is One. are we then part conscious. can we become fully conscious. If so how.
    Is it possible from within a 3d body.

Obviously some say it can, at the same time the early enlightened ones did make a distinction between various functions and modes of consciousness.

With Love
    Eelco
    Last edited by Sebastion, 23rd April 2015 at 14:43.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sebastion For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd April 2015), Breeze (23rd April 2015), Catsquotl (23rd April 2015), InCiDeR (24th April 2015), PurpleLama (23rd April 2015), Spiral of Light (23rd April 2015), Wind (23rd April 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Eelco View Post
    So does consciousness exist outside our awareness?
    If we are tuned to a specific frequency of consciousness, are we then conscious of only that frequency?

By what definition does the whole of consciousness go, and what should we call that what we as individuals van become conscious of.

taken that consciousness is One. are we then part conscious. can we become fully conscious. If so how.
    Is it possible from within a 3d body.

Obviously some say it can, at the same time the early enlightened ones did make a distinction between various functions and modes of consciousness.

With Love
    Eelco
    As they say, your mileage may vary, but I maintain that consciousness itself is merely the ability of something to accept information from something else -- as in "the ability to observe" -- and that, thus, consciousness itself is nothing other than life, or existence itself.

That which is being spoken about in the last couple of posts to this thread is not consciousness, but the mind, and that is quite a different thing. The mind is the interface between consciousness and the soul/spirit. It overlaps on both. And that is also why we have awareness. Awareness is more or less the focusing lens of the mind. So you cannot "raise your consciousness", but you can raise your awareness.

Putting it in computer jargon, consciousness is the primary input system, the soul is the operating system, the mind is the CPU and the memory chips, and the body is another input system, which also doubles as output, because here in this reality, we need our bodies to bring our actions into materialization.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Catsquotl (23rd April 2015), Cup (23rd April 2015), InCiDeR (24th April 2015), Sebastion (23rd April 2015), Spiral of Light (23rd April 2015), Wind (23rd April 2015)

Thanks
    Aragorn, I really like that and if I was a computer person I'd like it even more. I've definitely been talking about the mind and states of mind. Existence is. So, Consciousness is.

I might continue to say consciousness in lieu of awareness and, now that I'm more acutely aware, I may not.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd April 2015), InCiDeR (24th April 2015), Sebastion (23rd April 2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Aragorn, I really like that and if I was a computer person I'd like it even more. I've definitely been talking about the mind and states of mind. Existence is. So, Consciousness is.

I might continue to say consciousness in lieu of awareness and, now that I'm more acutely aware, I may not.
    Yes, it's the vernacular which gets us into trouble all the time, isn't it? People like tossing all these fancy words around, even if those words do not actually mean what people are trying to convey. And unfortunately, we see a lot of that here within the so-called alternative community as well -- perhaps even more so than anywhere else, and it's all part of the mis- and disinformation.

Take the word "dimension" for instance. Many people still believe that a dimension is "a place", as in "They are beings from another dimension." Kerry Cassidy is one of those people who gratuitously throw that word around, probably because "it sounds cool", but in doing that, she is totally misrepresenting things, and for someone who professes that they want to bring out The Truth™, that is a very grave mistake to make. In persisting at using the incorrect vernacular, she only contributes to the noise and the misconceptions.

I've tried to get her to understand that, but she has never replied to a single e-mail I sent her. And why should she? I wasn't a Looking Glass whistle-blower or someone with information on "the Annunaki". And that's another word she keeps on misappropriating. The Annunaki are not a species or a particular off-wold civilization. The word "annunaki" is Sumerian and simply means "those who come from the heavens".

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Cup (23rd April 2015), InCiDeR (24th April 2015), Spiral of Light (23rd April 2015), Wind (23rd April 2015)

Thanks
    Words are tricky. I watched the vid about words on Outlander's thread. Gotye did a great video w/ words.

Confederation is different than Federation.

I wish 'rationalize' didn't sound so close to 'rational'.

So, if Annunaki are those who come from the heavens, is there a general word for us? i.e. earthlings, terrans, grounders (made that up), or something?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd April 2015), InCiDeR (24th April 2015), Spiral of Light (23rd April 2015)

Thanks
    I have a friend who says cognitive instead of cognizant. Different kinds of awareness.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd April 2015), InCiDeR (24th April 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,564 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Kybalion: All is mind,
    It also explains that all the phenomenal world or universe is simply a Mental Creation of THE ALL
    Buddha(dhammapada verse 1): All mental phenomena have mind as their forerunner; they have mind as their chief; they are mind-made.

To end with my favorite quote Ian xel lungold:
    "Whatever we turn our attention to is what we become conscious of"

With Love
    Eelco
    Have a great day today

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th April 2015), InCiDeR (24th April 2015), Sebastion (24th April 2015)

Retired Member Nepal
    Thanks
    As some of you already so nicely put it. Words can be tricky. Even so the concept of existence. I wrote this in a thread regarding if time is an illusion or not.

However it touches the concepts of words, existence, exists and also consciousness.

Because consciousness to me is intertwined with thought.

...so I guess I am not totally off topic here:

---

- How long is a thought?

...or the time inbetween thoughts?
    Do all my thoughts regarding a matter occur simultaneously?
    That would probably give me a nice little jacket with the arms wrapped around my back

But maybe they happen simultaneously

I have a conscious thought here
    in this perceived reality
    meanwhile
    another version of me
    have a different thought
    at the same time

If you believe in infinity and multiverses
    that means I have infinite numbers of thoughts
    at the present moment
    In a way, I already thought about everything

so relax

But if they do not happen simultaneously
    there will be a time frame between two thoughts
    So even if the perceived reality is an illusion
    and therefore the concept of time in that reality
    also would be an illusion
    we still have to answer my first question.

- How long is a thought?

Maybe the perceived reality changes in entanglement with my thoughts
    When the conscious thought moves in time
    so does the perceived reality
    meaning no time have passed per se....
    or...
    has it?

---

I guess it all comes down to definitions
    the very core of the language
    the essence of communication and understanding
    and finally conscioussness, existence and to be... or not to be (pun intended)

Words.... what are they?

The definition of words I figured is not only about the definitions in itself.
    Many times it also have a cultural value.
    I mean USA probably means something different to a person living in USA
    than a person living elsewhere.

And even the most simplest words are hard to explain ... really explain... to another person.

For example the word subway (or metro in some countries)

Full Definition of SUBWAY

: an underground way: as
    a : a passage under a street (as for pedestrians, power cables, or water or gas mains)
    b : a usually electric underground railway
    c : underpass
    — subway intransitive verb
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/subway

Did you picture that definition before your eyes when I wrote subway the first time?

I didn't. I saw the train itself.

When I lived in the countryside. We had no subway.
    Therefore the word subway had a different meaning or I had a different personal definition.
    I just pictured the train in an underground tunnel in my mind.

But when I moved to a big city the definition changed
    It grow and became so much more than a definition
    that could be put into a simple sentence.

The personal definition became littered with memories, expectations, emotions, feelings.
    The simple word subway lived by itself as an organic entity
    Something I realised I could not fully explain to someone else.

Not even to the person sharing the same seat in the train
    because that persons definition would probably be different...
    a composition of his/hers whole history and relation to the word.

---

Time again
    to go back in time
    to the word time

How do we personally define the word time and its concept.
    You will probably get a different answer depending if you ask a scientist, theolog, spiritualist or...
    anyone else.

Time seems to be correlated and intertwined with
    both the concept of reality and the concept of existence.

I wrote this about existence in another thread:
    The limits of the language and use of words collapse the discussion of Solipsism into itself.

Philosophy explanation: The theory that only the self exists, or can be proved to exist.

This explanation use the word self. By using the word self in the explanation, the explanation insinuates that something exists that is not self. Otherwise would not the word self exists.

Does "existence" exist?

In some statements, existence is implied without being mentioned. The statement "A bridge crosses the Thames at Hammersmith" cannot just be about a bridge, the Thames, and Hammersmith. It must be about "existence" as well.

On the other hand, the statement "A bridge crosses the Styx at Limbo" has the same form, but while in the first case we understand a real bridge in the real world made of stone or brick, what "existence" would mean in the second case is less clear.

Does exist exists?

Do I exist just because there "exists" a word in our language - Exist - that I/we agreed upon?

In so, if the word "Exist" exists there must be a common sense of "exist" in my/our body/mind/spirit complex otherwise the word "Exist" and the common sense of it have no meaning and therefore does not exist.

---

Pof... InCiDeR cease to exist in a logical quantum cloud loop that might or might not exist
    so.... would time exist without an existence of a consciousness?
    Will a consciousness arise in any system within time
    so time in itself can be discovered and defined?
    or vice verse?

That is why I wrote:

Time is

where it ought to be

not so much

elsewhere

it in itself

hasn't got the time....

the time of illusion.

But the question remains

- How long is a thought?
    Last edited by InCiDeR, 24th April 2015 at 10:16. Reason: grammar

18. The Following User Says Thank You to InCiDeR For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th April 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,564 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by InCiDeR View Post

- How long is a thought?
    Instantaneous. every moment again and again.
    Sometimes the same one rises and passes again and again giving the illusion of some permanence or progression in time.

There is no progression. Just NOW

With Love
    Eelco
    Have a great day today

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th April 2015), InCiDeR (24th April 2015)

Thanks
    "How long is a thought?" Ever awakened from a whole dream about a sound that you're still hearing upon waking? A whole dream in the blink of an eye. There's not time for that. The brain can't transmit that fast. Can it? Thoughts and experience can't be measured with time. Consciousness isn't bound by time. We can measure brain chemistry, but that's not the same thing. And time is often a matter of perspective.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

In Memoriam
    Thanks
    Since we are defining words, I would be curious Aragorn, what your definition for dimension vs the word density is. I freely admit never once having any thoughts regarding whether a particular dimension was a place or not.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sebastion For This Useful Post:

Retired Member Netherlands
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,496 Times in 1,190 Posts
    Your thoughts are the essence of your 'being' - your soul, so to say.

When you die your thoughts continue, therefor your confronted not so much with 'God' but with yourself.

You have to face yourself - look at yourself in a 'mirror'.

Those with a clear/clean conscious can 'jump' through the mirror into the universe and escape the matrix.

Those with a burdened conscious can't and are drawn into the tunnel of light, where after they're reborn, remembering their previous life but unable to speak, as babies can't talk.

By the time you can express your thoughts, you have forgotten your past life, as happens with dreams you forget - sometimes instantly.

Make no mistake: dying is only pleasant when your conscious is not burdened by matters you can blame yourself for.

Murder, Treason, Disloyalty and Deceit are true sins.

Therefor the ultimate goal of the so called 'illuminated' (Illuminati) is to find the secret of eternal life, so they don't have to face the risk/punishment of being born again as a 'nobody'.

One of the worst condemnations you can put upon those who willfully and purposely deceit/betray honest faith, is put upon them that (s)he will remember you when (s)he dies.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Outlander For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th April 2015), InCiDeR (24th April 2015), Tribe (24th April 2015)

Thanks
    ...Jump through the mirror into the universe... I really like that. I had an interesting dream not too long ago where a mirror was a window.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Sebastion View Post
    Since we are defining words, I would be curious Aragorn, what your definition for dimension vs the word density is. I freely admit never once having any thoughts regarding whether a particular dimension was a place or not.
    Well, I prefer to maintain the scientific definition of what a dimension is, i.e. a vector in a coordinate system. So for instance, in a three-dimensional vector space, you've got three such dimensions: width, height and depth. But of course, the space-time continuum actually has four dimensions: width, height, depth and time, and in this manifold, the properties of the time dimension make it a bit different from the other three dimensions, in that we can physically freely roam about in those three other dimensions, while time only allows moving in one direction -- i.e. forward -- and that we are also constantly moving forward through time.

You can stay perfectly still in the spacial dimensions -- well, more or less, because in practice we are of course living on a planet which is zipping through space-time, and general relativity dictates that space-time itself does not have any absolute coordinates -- but you cannot halt your progression through time, or at least, not without circumventing general relativity. You can however change the progression of your own time in relation to the progression of time for everybody else around you, by moving out of the influence of Earth's gravity, and/or moving and/or accelerating so rapidly that there arises a time dilation effect. In general relativity, we call this "a frame of reference".

That is not to say that time travel does not exist, but rather that time travel involves hyper-dimensional physics, and the concept of time is also bound to one's individual perception -- or otherwise put, one's individual consciousness. We are all on the same time line here on Earth, but each and every individual entity also has their own individual time line, and their individual perception of the progression of time. So if you were to travel "back in time", then you are doing this in relation to the time line of Earth, not in relation to your own individual time line. As such, when you travel back to the past, your own time line keeps progressing forward.

As a practical example, say that you are wearing a watch which is perfectly synchronized with a wall clock in a room with a time machine. Say that you get into the time machine at exactly 10:00 in the morning, and that you set the controls in the time machine to travel back two hours in time, to 08:00. Now, say -- just for the sake of illustration -- that the trip to the past takes exactly two minutes. So, you press the button on the control panel inside the time machine, and after two minutes, you step out of the machine again. The wall clock will now show the local time to be 08:00, but when looking at your watch, you will see that it says "10:02".

Now, this becomes even more complicated when you engage the "grandfather paradox" situation. Say that you go back to the past, to the time before your grandfather meets your grandmother, and you kill your grandfather. According to accepted mainstream physics, that would be impossible, because by killing your grandfather, you are supposedly creating a situation where you would never be born, and as such in this theoretical model, you could never have gone back to the past to kill your grandfather. This is what mainstream science considers as solid evidence of how time travel would be impossible.

There is however a flaw in this theory, because it presumes that there would be only one time line. So in fact, what would really happen in this scenario is that by killing your grandfather (or otherwise preventing that you would be born), you would actually be branching off the time line and creating a new time line, in which your present tense is a moment in the past of the time line that you left from by way of your time machine, and the only thing that would be different on your original time line after you left for the trip to the past in which you sought to prevent your own birth, is that you would have stepped into a mysterious machine, only to never come out of it again. You would probably end up declared officially dead after a while. Maybe they'll give you a nice funeral service.

So even if you were to travel forward in time again after killing your grandfather, you would never be able to go back to the same space-time coordinates as from whence you left when you decided to travel to the past, because you would be traveling forward in time on the time line that you've created by killing your grandfather and thus, changing the course of history. So when traveling to the same space-time coordinates again as from whence you left, you will now find yourself in a wholly different reality. In addition to that, traveling to the future always means "traveling to a potential future", because "the future" is not written in stone due to the principles of Free Will -- i.e. what the future will condense into depends on the choices we all make, and not just our choices on an individual level.

From the dimensional point of view, you have thus not traveled back to the past, but you will in fact have created a whole new space-time manifold, and thus, a parallel reality, with the same four dimensions as before -- i.e. width, height, depth, and time -- but where things are significantly different because of the butterfly effect, i.e. the ripple you caused when you changed the course of history by killing the man who was to be your grandfather before he met the woman who was to be your grandmother. After all, that man signified a lot more to the world around him than the mere fact that he was to be your grandfather. He had a job, he may have had siblings, he probably would have had friends, et al. So his unexpected death will have changed the world around him to a certain extent. Also, the woman he was supposed to have married and who was supposed to then become your grandmother, will now be leading a different life. She may have married someone else and may now have children who would never have been born if she had married the man you killed. And those children will themselves probably also have gotten married and have children, etc.

And what this means from the point of view of consciousness, is that the very concept of what we call reality is subjective. You do, in fact, exist inside a reality bubble, and you yourself are at the center of it, because the whole of reality around you is only a projection by the mind in cooperation with your consciousness and the knowledge that you possess within your (so-called) higher self.

And that beautifully brings me back on topic for this thread, doesn't it? Am I a genius or what?

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Catsquotl (25th April 2015), InCiDeR (24th April 2015), Wind (24th April 2015)