Thread: Elena docu-drama movie very touching

In Memoriam United States
    Thanks

Elena docu-drama movie very touching

A documentary that plays more like a drama, the director returns to NY two decades later to find out the fate of her sister. She rediscovers her life and pain in a trove of letters, tapes and letters.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/784992

Somehow it helps with one's own pain
    Oh, it is available for six days for free.

After a good cry, this will pick you up

Last edited by grannyfranny, 26th May 2015 at 03:49.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grannyfranny For This Useful Post:

bsbray (26th May 2015), Frances (26th May 2015), sandy (26th May 2015)

(account terminated) United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,648 Times in 2,895 Posts
    Thank you for posting this granny. Not only is the documentary powerfully haunting, but your whole post is so synchronous for me that I have to feel like we're on some journey in this moment together.

The woman I've been dating for about two years is from Brasilia, not far from Minas Gerais, where these girls' mother was from in the documentary. Because of that I've learned some about that area recently, that it seems I'd never even heard of prior to this, and also enough about the country's history to understand how sad this period was. The US was doing very terrible things in South America, not only murdering people with mercenary armies and overthrowing governments, but in the process helping to keep millions of people poor and uneducated and feeling powerless in their own countries.

The other synchronous thing for me is with the music. Bossa Nova with French lyrics. Not only a mix of two cultures that I love, but I loved the music itself enough to go download the album to listen to later.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bsbray For This Useful Post:

Frances (26th May 2015), grannyfranny (26th May 2015)

In Memoriam United States
    Thanks
    bsbray, powerfully haunting is a perfect description for the narrative and the film was painted like a canvas. I was first attracted to Brasil in fifth grade, met an elegant Brasilian of Italian decent in my early twenties and won a summer European travel fellowship for which I requested Brasil as the destination in my late twenties. I traveled to many places including Brasilia which only had a few buildings then. It was quite an adventure filled with golden memories. People everywhere were so kind to me. I was able to return for a week during my early thirties. That was about forty years ago. Saudades has French, Spanish, Portuguese and English lyrics and I still have "saudades" for Brasil.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grannyfranny For This Useful Post:

bsbray (26th May 2015), Frances (26th May 2015)