Thread: A Hoax Warning, Don't Panic

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,646 Times in 1,886 Posts

A Hoax Warning, Don't Panic

Edit 777: Ria this is a hoax!

VERY URGENT PLEASE CIRCULATE

In the coming days, DO NOT open any message regardless of who sent it to you with an attachment called:

BLACK MUSLIM IN THE WHITE HOUSE.

It is a virus that opens an Olympics torch that burns the whole hard disk of your computer.

Directions: You should send this message to all of your contacts.

It is better to receive this e-mail 2 dozen times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive a message called BLACK MUSLIM IN THE WHITE HOUSE even if sent by a friend, do not open and shut down your machine immediately.

It is the worst virus ever announced by CNN. it has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever.

This virus was discovered yesterday afternoon by McAfee. There is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus destroys the Zero Sector of your hard disk, where vital information function is stored.
    Last edited by 777, 20th February 2015 at 10:19. Reason: Hoax

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ria For This Useful Post:

Altaira (20th February 2015), Sooz (20th February 2015), Stoat muldoon (20th February 2015)

(account terminated)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,245 Times in 554 Posts
    thankfully i dont run my terminal with a hard drive ... nothing to erase .. nothing to lose.

come get me

N

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NANUXII For This Useful Post:

Altaira (20th February 2015), Ria (20th February 2015), Stoat muldoon (20th February 2015)

Senior Member Togo Stoat muldoon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,719 Times in 436 Posts
    Thanks Ria , but this could be information for the World to see and is a bluff so you won't open it . I have an old computer , I don't care if it gets fried . So if I receive it I'll open it on there to see what happens , if anything . I suggest anyone else doesn't open it , just in case .

PS , do you have a link where the info came from please Ria ?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoat muldoon For This Useful Post:

Altaira (20th February 2015), Ria (20th February 2015), Sooz (20th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,402 Times in 1,356 Posts
    Looks like a hoax

Virus: "Black in the White House" (aka "Black Muslim in the White House")

image: http://www.snopes.com/images/content-divider.gif

HOAX

Example:

[Collected via e-mail, July 2010]

URGENT!!! PLEASE CIRCULATE to your friends, family and contacts.

In the coming days, DO NOT open any message with an attachment called: BLACK MUSLIM IN THE WHITE HOUSE, regardless of who sent it to you. It is a virus that opens an Olympics torch that burns the whole hard disk C of your computer.

This virus comes from a known person who you have in your list.

Directions: You should send this message to all of your contacts.
    It is better to receive this e-mail 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.
    If you receive a message called BLACK MUSLIM IN THE WHITE HOUSE even if sent by a friend, do not open, and shut down your machine immediately.
    It is the worst virus announced by CNN.
    This new virus has been discovered recently it has been classified by Microsoft as the virus most destructive ever.
    This virus was discovered yesterday afternoon by McAfee..
    There is no repair yet for this kind of virus.
    This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the hard disk, where vital information function is held

Origins: The 'Black [Muslim] in the White House' virus warning is yet another variant of the same basic computer virus hoax that has been circulating in various languages since at least 2000, with occasional changes along the way. The original form of this virus hoax was its incarnation as the
    "[Virtual] Card for You" hoax, then in time for the 2006 Winter Olympics someone dusted it off and reintroduced it as an "Olympic Torch" virus warning (also known as the "Invitation virus").

After the inauguration of Barack Obama in 2009, the same hoax was repackaged as a warning about a non-existent virus called "Black in the White House" (since modified to "Black Muslim in the White House"). In 2010, the same hoax was circulated yet again, this time with a tongue-in-cheek notice that virus mailings were accompanied by pictures of Gordon Brown (then the UK's Prime Minister) "actually smiling."

The bottom line is that no matter what the title du jour might be, this warning is pure hoax: No such (incurable) virus like the one described in this warning exists, has been identified by McAfee, or was reported on by CNN.

http://home.mcafee.com/VirusInfo/Vir...aspx?key=98893 A Virtual Card for You Hoax
    (McAfee)

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus...dqJKrkdC8wu.99
    BLACK MUSLIM IN THE WHITE HOUSE - Hoax Warning

Hoaxes and Fake Email WarningsHere's a variation on a hoax email that has been around for some years

Subject: Virus Notification Random Name

Content of Email:

URGENT!!! PLEASE CIRCULATE to your friends, family and contacts.

In the coming days, DO NOT open any message with an attachment called: BLACK MUSLIM IN THE WHITE HOUSE, regardless of who sent it to you. It is a virus that opens an Olympics torch that burns the whole hard disk C of your computer. This virus comes from a known person who you have in your list.

Directions: You should send this message to all of your contacts. It is better to receive this e-mail 25 times than to receive the virus and open it. If you receive a message called BLACK MUSLIM IN THE WHITE HOUSE even if sent by a friend, do not open, and shut down your machine immediately. It is the worst virus announced by CNN. This new virus has been discovered recently it has been classified by Microsoft as the virus most destructive ever.
    This virus was discovered yesterday afternoon by McAfee.. There is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the hard disk, where vital information functions are stored.

Action: Do NOT circulate this email - Delete it

- See more at: http://easykey.uk/hoaxes-and-bogus-w....cOua0kcY.dpuf
    http://jacksonville.com/reason/fact-...-your-computer

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Altaira For This Useful Post:

Curt (20th February 2015), Ria (20th February 2015), Sooz (20th February 2015), Stoat muldoon (20th February 2015)

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,398 Times in 3,150 Posts
    These things usually are hoaxes, but you can never be sure.

I am reminded of the boy who cried wolf.

What better way to get the message out that 'there is a black muslim in the white house', than to send a hoax/danger message that goes viral. If you get my drift.

Thanks Ria, I will remain vigilant anyway.
    Last edited by Sooz, 20th February 2015 at 10:31.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

Curt (20th February 2015), Ria (20th February 2015), Stoat muldoon (20th February 2015)

Senior Member Togo Stoat muldoon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,719 Times in 436 Posts
    Not telling grandma how to suck eggs , but you shouldn't open an attachment unless you know who it's from . I was talking to someone yesterday , she didn't know you could get a virus through emails , so not everyone knows how we get these bugs .

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stoat muldoon For This Useful Post:

Curt (20th February 2015), KosmicKat (20th February 2015), Ria (20th February 2015), Sooz (20th February 2015)

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,398 Times in 3,150 Posts
    A bit off topic, however, I get hoax emails from paypal asking me to verify my credit card because 'my last purchase was rejected'.

They look very authentic. One thing is, Paypal always addresses you by name, never 'dear client'. Never click on a link from paypal or from a bank. They NEVER send emails like this asking you to verify information.

Secondly, I rarely use Paypal, but when I do, I always delete my credit card after I've made the purchase. Tedious, but well worth the effort.

I know all of us know this here, but it is the older people who are new to the internet I worry about. I have a lot of them as my clients. They want to embrace the new tech and be close to their children and grandchildren, but are not aware of the dangers.

Always helps to pass any info along.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

KosmicKat (20th February 2015), Ria (20th February 2015), Stoat muldoon (20th February 2015), Tribe (20th February 2015)

(account terminated)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,245 Times in 554 Posts
    Phishing Emails are very common. They propogate depending on your friends who happen to open them , this uploads a thing called a " worm " which finds your email contacts list and sends the virus to their in boxes.

What they do is commonly have a link or a photo. The Photo is loaded with a macro reader to take your ip address and send it back to the owner of the hoax email. Once they have that its a matter of hacking in and installing trojans and key stroke readers. They then profile you and get yoru personal and bank details. Because of all the personal details we keep on our on line computers this is very easy. If you are foolish enough to open the link then you have uploaded the code for the virus.

Backing up a tad , to identify a virus in an email you need to firstly be present when you open your email client and scan the headers for suspicious and un related emails , things that dont look right , even if they are from a friend. They often hijack friends emails to seem legitimate, the same thing applies, it will be a loure like " have you seen the size of it " then a link ..

if you have foolishly opened the email and read it theres a chance they have your ip. Before you open it just delete it and be done. Thats all you have to do , but if you are curious .. then enjoy the virus ! they are very tricky little buggers.

Best to have a dedicated lap top for all your on line browsing and email , if you really want to take it a step further get a cheap Linus program disk on line , cost about 5 bucks, get a second hand lap top , preferrably pre 2007 , whip the hard drive out ( i mean physically remove it ) , then put your liunux disk in , i have the linux mint 17.1 .. its a decent basic operating system.

When you start up the lap top go into the configuration settings and choose CD disk start up boot as first option.

Then when you boot up the operating system on board with work with the disk.

It takes a bit longer to boot up .. maybe 2 to 3 mins instead of 30 seconds..

When you are ready you need to do a few things before you can browse.

1 : go into system files and open your TMP folder as Root. Then click view and show " hidden files "
    2 ; go to home directory and open then view " hidden files "
    3 ; Delete all temp files
    4 : delete all home files with a . before them eg " .ibus "
    5 : go to general settings and un check Looking Glass cinnamon connection and change setting to " Normal "
    6 : go to Preferences in start up menue and un check Desk Top Sharing .

And now youre good to go. System will work un believeably fast , no delays , no fuss , just fun safe browsing.

At the end disconnect yorur wifi connection and go into temp and delete then delete the home folders again. EG in just a 30 min surf on line these folders remembered up to 4000 files .. this completely tracks everything you do .. once you delete them they are permanently lost because you dont have a hard drive and because you own the operating system you can over ride programs that try to lock you out of your own PC functionality.

Hugs

N

Best

N

16. The Following User Says Thank You to NANUXII For This Useful Post:

Ria (20th February 2015)