Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work Harder Than You Can

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 297 Posts

Work Harder Than You Can

This is a realization that I have been working on for some time now, that I would like to share.

I am on the fence as far as whether anyone can really change things, and I am disinterested in arguing that point. Whether individuals, groups, etc. are actually capable of changing what is into what will be or whether they assist what will be in manifesting - both in my estimation - whatever will be, if it can be said to be an emergence will come of a potentiation.

Potentiate is among my favorite of words; it means a meeting of potential which involves a development beyond existing limitations and an expansion of capability to surpass previous achievement/ability.

The maintenance of existing ability - a stagnation depending on one's perspective - is antithetical to the concept of potentiation. Whether mental, physical, or spiritual, there is a refinement, growth, or evolution that comes amidst potentiation, and it does not come idly or easily; it comes of doing one's best, and specifically by doing more than one's perception of their best.

I phrase the idea - as with the title - thusly:

Work harder than you can.

To phrase it so, I am directly referencing that the conscious mind will and does regularly place limitations, expectations, and obstacles in front of what an individual is actually capable of, and that the most effective potentiation comes of disregarding those perceived limitations, etc.

Allow me to dissect:

Work

The idea of working does not necessarily mean physically, though if possible this should be included. Work involves and incorporates some form of exertion, an expenditure - or investment if you will - of energy and time.

Hard

Hard is synonymous in this case of with 'vigor', 'intent', 'fortitude', as well as a near-endless list of qualifiers. The general idea is that there is an intensity, a lack of reservation that is observable, detectable, and potentially quantifiable.

Hard-er Than

Not only is there an expenditure, and not only is there an emphasis, but that expenditure and emphasis is greater than previous. It is 'as compared to', 'developing from' as well as 'progressing beyond'.

You Can

This element addresses perceptions and the understandings that surround one's self. It focuses on previous expression while incorporating a developing understanding of potential. Let's bring it back together.

Work Harder Than You Can.

Exert yourself in the chosen field, specialty, subject, or manner;

To a greater capacity, expression, or degree;

Beyond your expectations, previous depictions, and calculated prognoses;

Seizing and manifesting the real levels of potential that exist beyond your wildest dreams.

In weight lifting, one of the purposes of a 'spotter' is to encourage and push one's self beyond the stopping point which they might otherwise entertain to achieve something beyond that level. This mentality - I am certain - is essential in an emergent philosophy and in an emergent society (the one individual, the other collective).

I'm not particularly convinced of the viability of communism for example, but I am certain that such an economic system could only be perpetuated by a prevalence of this ideology. Aristotle is credited with the phrase:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence therefore is not an act, but a habit."

Emergence, potentiation, or by whatever name one prefers to call it is not simply an achievement, it is an achieve-able pattern - a status if you will - that can be accomplished and maintained. This accomplishment is beyond what/where you think this is, and only you can find out how far.

So, I would entreat all who are reading to embrace the idea, not just for their own benefit but also for the collective benefit that can be achieved. One's best is far better than 'less-than' one's best, but one can always achieve more-than if they are truly invested in doing so.
    Last edited by Shezbeth, 15th February 2015 at 11:03.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Shezbeth For This Useful Post:

777 (17th February 2015), Altaira (19th February 2015), Calabash (16th February 2015), Catsquotl (19th February 2015), Curt (15th February 2015), GCS1103 (15th February 2015), modwiz (15th February 2015), Ria (15th February 2015), sandy (15th February 2015), Sooz (17th February 2015), That Guy (16th February 2015), Tribe (15th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    In my professional and personal experience, I find countless examples of individuals - young and old, seasoned and 'fresh' - with a predisposed idea of just 'how much' they are capable of; to a woman, man, or child I have also found that they are capable of far more than they have convinced themselves they are capable of. As an individual, I can readily comprehend why such limitations are placed on one's disposition. Professional environments are especially easy to grasp, as one tends to 'make the same' (re: hourly wages) regardless the intensity one applies; indeed one can be seen to be short-changing themselves by working harder/faster, as their 'bottom line' doesn't effectively change.

Not only is this readily not the case, but is an example of some of the more insidious agreements that one can make in their strategy of interacting with the world.

It is true that when one works an hourly job, they are earning the same wage/hour if they complete a task in 2 hours as they do if they complete it in 4. In a self-oriented perspective, one could assert that they benefit more from the decreased intensity that is met with equal earnings, indeed their output/input is more favorable if analyzed simply from the standpoint of work input to incentivized output.

Allow me to suggest that this mentality - while easy to comprehend - is horses hit.

When one makes regular practice of working under a lesser intensity, they are making a practice of doing so; they are beginning and/or maintaining the practice of 'doing less', from which predisposition originates. A preference toward 'doing less' develops, and over time the individual can be observed - relied on even - to 'do less' than their capability, from which expectations (both internal and external) begin to form. These expectations become enmeshed with quantum potential, and the individual becomes entrained to produce 'less'. Allow me to reiterate; I don't mean 'less' in the sense that what is produced is somehow inadequate, I am simply referring to the idea that what is produced is noticeably less than the potential output.

In a collective environment - as contributed by psychological and sociological aspects such as group/peer influence, reward/consequence issuance (in a hierarchy), etc. - the 'average' output decreases over time, as participants gradually learn new and effective measures to produce the same output with less effort. This can be said to be an increase in efficiency, except that the immediate beneficiaries are the individuals themselves as opposed to the collective of individuals.

When one is fixated on 'working harder', they condition themselves and apply innovation and learning toward the process of doing more, as opposed to the process of doing less. Doing more involves taking on new and larger tasks, whether it means the refinement and evolution of existing methods or developing new methods and approaches. The more one does - and the more one consistently does more - the more they acclimate themselves toward doing more, which has a comprehensive effect. When one pushes their own boundaries and thresholds, they develop (physiologically AND mentally) faster, and the gains that are achieved are reinvested toward doing more. In short, one's potential can be seen to magnify as opposed to plateau.

In summary, it boils down to which is preferable; on the one hand there is the perception of 'Good Enough' and on the other hand there is the perception of 'Getting Better'. There is nothing wrong with 'Good Enough', and it has a definitively viable place in one's cognition and strategy. Equally, there is nothing wrong with 'Getting Better', and can be said/observed to be constructive if properly applied. Both concepts have their time and place, yet between the two one is particularly more conducive toward both personal and collective evolution. 'Good Enough' is quite literally good enough, but it can always get better, and I would encourage, advise, posit, and promote the idea of 'Getting Better' as - if nothing else - the thing that overwhelmingly get's better in that event is you.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Shezbeth For This Useful Post:

777 (17th February 2015), Altaira (19th February 2015), Calabash (16th February 2015), Catsquotl (19th February 2015), modwiz (18th February 2015), PurpleLama (17th February 2015), Sooz (17th February 2015)

Retired Member Haiti
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,813 Times in 895 Posts
    I take my hat off to you Shezbeth.

It was quite late in life (my 30's) that I discovered - through the utmost hardship and desperation just how resourceful, adapable and capable I could be. However, when things picked up financially my more creative side dropped, not completely, but I guess my more indolent side resurfaced.

I think that in the face of adversity we all come into our own and draw deep into that unfathomable indefinable something that you seem to be able to tap into at will.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calabash For This Useful Post:

Altaira (19th February 2015), Catsquotl (19th February 2015), Shezbeth (16th February 2015), Sooz (17th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    I thank you for your appreciation and acknowledgement. ^_^

Allow me offer a literal example. In my profession, I feed (read: operate, oversee) a saw that splits boards laterally from 2"x6" into two 1"x6" boards (of whatever length, which varies). This process requires a 'piler', or a person at the outfeed of the machine to take the boards and stack them in a reasonably (read: not perfect, but suitably) neat pile to be moved into storage by a forklift.

In this process, I regularly 'go through' pilers; when a 'new' (to the operation) piler starts, I set the machine at 1.5 linear feet/second. The new piler will quickly (if they're suitable) acclimate themselves to the workload and speed, and a full day of production will ensue. The next day, I set the machine at 1.6 f/s, then 1.7 f/s, and so on, so forth. Over a span of 2 weeks or so (most people 'top out' at 2 f/s) individuals who - at the outset - are perfectly comfortable with the speed and production level will express (emphasis on the perception and iteration) that the increasing level is beyond their capability.

On the one hand, I sympathize; it is gruelling to constantly and consistently operate to an increasing demand, and to those not otherwise predisposed to engage an increasing intensity it can seem quite unreasonable and unnecessary. It doesn't help that I'm among the smaller individuals in my profession, yet despite this I can easily operate at over 2.5 f/s (from the piler position). As far as company standards/expectations are concerned, this is well above the prescribed 'daily output' (in fact, 1.5 f/s is expressly sufficient). While this level would satisfy expectations, I am not content to simply 'satisfy expectations'; it has nothing to do with satisfying external expectations, it is about surpassing internal potential and capability. In context, it doesn't matter that the company doesn't demand more, it only matters to me that I'm capable of more, and I'm all-but dying to see what quantities can be achieved by that otherwise undisclosed value of 'more'.

Just a few days ago, my piler stated in no uncertain terms "You need to turn the machine down" (with expletives). After a bit of back and forth, I was successful in getting him to amend his stance to "I want you to turn the machine down", from "I can't go that fast" to "I haven't figured out how to go that fast yet".

This change in perception goes along with what I am describing/advocating. When one recognizes that their own thoughts and perceptions are directly responsible for their actual/perceived limitations and then begins the process of casting off these beliefs, their potential can grow at a rate and degree that is limited only by the intensity to which the person applies themselves.

Faith - quite simply - can move mountains, especially when the mountain is the self.
    Last edited by Shezbeth, 16th February 2015 at 23:24.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shezbeth For This Useful Post:

Altaira (19th February 2015), Calabash (17th February 2015), Catsquotl (19th February 2015), PurpleLama (17th February 2015), Sooz (17th February 2015)

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,398 Times in 3,150 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Calabash View Post
    I take my hat off to you Shezbeth.

It was quite late in life (my 30's) that I discovered - through the utmost hardship and desperation just how resourceful, adapable and capable I could be. However, when things picked up financially my more creative side dropped, not completely, but I guess my more indolent side resurfaced.

I think that in the face of adversity we all come into our own and draw deep into that unfathomable indefinable something that you seem to be able to tap into at will.
    I can certainly relate to that Calabash. When the going gets tough, the tough get going. You have no other choice. It's then when you realise what you are capable of, especially with children involved. Mind you in saying that, I'm glad it happened in my younger years, I don't know if I could physically do that now. Lol....

Thanks for the post Shezbeth.

Edit: I am glad I'm not a piler for you.
    Last edited by Sooz, 17th February 2015 at 07:12.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

Calabash (17th February 2015), Catsquotl (19th February 2015), Shezbeth (17th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    <bows> I am a bit on the merciless side, but I'm also the kind of merciless basstard who will sing the praises of and bend over backward for those who can 'hang'. I freely admit (to myself and to the management) that I am deliberately pushing people well beyond what the level desires as 'required minimal', and I openly advocate on behalf of those who can/will so progress.

On the other hand, I've got no time/patience for grousers. I haven't yet, but soon I am going to pay to have a 16"x24" poster made up,....

Name:  tissue.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  17.6 KB
    Last edited by Shezbeth, 17th February 2015 at 08:16.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shezbeth For This Useful Post:

Altaira (19th February 2015), Catsquotl (17th February 2015), modwiz (18th February 2015), Sooz (17th February 2015)

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Have you considered a career in the army?

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

Altaira (19th February 2015), Calabash (17th February 2015), Catsquotl (19th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    I tried; medical disqualification. Too bad too, I got a 95 on the ASVAB.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shezbeth For This Useful Post:

Altaira (19th February 2015), Calabash (17th February 2015), Catsquotl (19th February 2015), Sooz (17th February 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,564 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Shezbeth View Post
    <bows> I am a bit on the merciless side, but I'm also the kind of merciless basstard who will sing the praises of and bend over backward for those who can 'hang'. I freely admit (to myself and to the management) that I am deliberately pushing people well beyond what the level desires as 'required minimal', and I openly advocate on behalf of those who can/will so progress.

On the other hand, I've got no time/patience for grousers. I haven't yet, but soon I am going to pay to have a 16"x24" poster made up,....

Name:  tissue.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  17.6 KB
    Well I guess I'm glad i'm no colleague of yours.
    If I had a colleague like that, I'd ask for a transfer or change jobs. It's bad enough as it is to have to do slave labor to survive life on this planet, let alone deal with an overly eager colleague that feels i should push myself harder in a field I'm not interested in. Maybe if life's were at stake i'd comply, but no way for the profits of some corporation.

With Love
    Eelco
    Have a great day today

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Useful Post:

777 (20th February 2015), Altaira (19th February 2015), Calabash (17th February 2015), Shezbeth (17th February 2015), Sooz (17th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 319 Posts
    Sounds like you are in the wrong profession. Lol

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to monk For This Useful Post:

Altaira (19th February 2015), Calabash (17th February 2015), Catsquotl (19th February 2015), modwiz (18th February 2015), Shezbeth (17th February 2015), Sooz (17th February 2015)

Retired Member Haiti
    Thanks
    You'll have to watch that side of yourself when you have children Shezbeth as you could make someone very unhappy. On the other hand, the old gene pool might just land somebody who's got more of that gene than you . . . in which case HAVE SOME ! :P

Last edited by Calabash, 17th February 2015 at 12:29.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calabash For This Useful Post:

Altaira (19th February 2015), Catsquotl (19th February 2015), Shezbeth (17th February 2015), Sooz (18th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Oh, no children for me.

I am not want to suffer a child of my loins unto this world of perdition.

I could expound on that if you like.

Beyond that, understand that I'm not pushing people to work harder than they're capable, I push people to work harder than they think they're capable, which is harder than they want to be capable. I really doubt (though I could be surprised) that there are many here who would contest that there is an observable degree of complacency, laziness, and lack of initiative that is readily found in or around most professions.

Also recognize that the expected 'minimum threshold' has been set by years of that very same complacency and lack of initiative. It isn't overnight that the expectations dropped so low, it took years of feet-dragging and buck-passing by a given set of individuals. Those same complacent individuals are very quick to bitch and moan about lack of raises, benefits, etc. in a similar 'for the profits of corporations' mindset; there are a few problems with that though.

1. When one so particularly reserves 'their all' for rare and specific circumstances, 'their all' as an intense expression doesn't get better. In fact, I would argue that - to quote an old japanese phrase - the sword that remains undrawn will rust in its sheath. In order to expand one's abilities and capacities - including their 'all or nothing' disposition - one should practice; a person doesn't just get up one day and run a marathon, they should practice in advance else their all isn't likely to be 'all that much', not to mention the probability that they're going to hurt themselves.

2. Not all corporations are run by Ebenezer Scrooge. If one wishes for a company to invest in them, they must likewise invest in the company (and I'm not talking about stocks). On a regular basis I hear from jaded multi-year employees about how 'they haven't gotten enough raises'. Yet, these same individuals are applying themselves at the same level of intensity as when they started with the company. Moreover - and I touched on this in another thread - these same individuals expect that if they keep on doing just what is expected that eventually it will be 'their turn' and they'll get a decent promotion, wage increase, etc.

That's not how the world works. If a person wants an opportunity, they would do well to earn it, or better yet, create it. And, it isn't just me who thinks so,... but all the individuals who agree have been recognized and promoted within the company to areas of greater responsibility and are not called upon to pile, instead they run machines and such. ^_~

Folks, I'm a little behind on the Ambassador videos, but I get the impression that this is the same dynamic that is being discussed; it is not enough for someone else to do the work for us or anyone, we have to be willing to do it for ourselves. We're talking about different contexts, but the onus is the same. This whole mentality of 'getting away with doing less' really needs to be addressed by one and all.

P.S. Feeding is alot harder than piling, so don't think for a moment I'm 'barking orders from on high and leaving all the grunt work for the peons' or any such,....
    Last edited by Shezbeth, 17th February 2015 at 18:45.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shezbeth For This Useful Post:

Altaira (19th February 2015), Calabash (18th February 2015), Catsquotl (19th February 2015), modwiz (18th February 2015), Sooz (19th February 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,564 Times in 1,372 Posts
    That's not how the world works. If a person wants an opportunity, they would do well to earn it, or better yet, create it.
    I am not arguing your intentions or your choices. Like anyone you have my best wishes to complete pursue them.
    But what about the Piler that wants the machine set to 1.5. comes in on time every day. Does what he is asked to do for an honest wage. (e.g one he agrees with and can provide his needs with) And doesn't want a promotion or become the best Piler he is capable of. Maybe he just want to have a steady paced rythem so his can let his mind wander whilst still being able to do what is expected of him, without his colleague's hinting at the perceived laziness he may be showing. One mens laziness is an other mans life.
    I think if I ever was to become a Piler i'd be that kind of worker.

Have you heard for instance off the Belbin team role's?
    In my work i am often considered lazy. having the role of a plant. However from that role there isn't much i don't notice. Next to the fact i do tend to think a lot about what we do, how we do it and where we overdo things. From that position I am able to offer wise suggestions. And they apparently are wise because my manager is paying for a series of mandatory meetings where some of those suggestions are talked about multi-disciplinary.

Now only a few years ago when we did the Belbin tests as a team The consensus was that someone like me was almost useless. Plants don't act often, stay in the background , hardly contribute and do just enough.

Read about the teamroles here..
    Its a dutch site but the roles are explained in english
    http://www.werkenmetteamrollen.nl/We...p#.VOOaeC7vc_g

With Love
    Eelco
    Have a great day today

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Useful Post:

Altaira (19th February 2015), Calabash (18th February 2015), Sooz (18th February 2015)

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Ah, as an ex corporate person in senior management, there is much to be said for being a plant. Much to be said for not saying too much, observing and weighing things up and giving suggestions.

I'm sitting in the middle here. I admire both Shezzy's views and also Eelco's. Perhaps my age has a lot to do with agreeing with both.

Perhaps that sounds non-sensical. But it's not really. Both are right.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

Altaira (19th February 2015), Calabash (18th February 2015), Catsquotl (19th February 2015)

Retired Member Haiti
    Thanks
    Oh, no children for me.

I am not want to suffer a child of my loins unto this world of perdition.

I could expound on that if you like.
    Please do . . .

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calabash For This Useful Post:

Altaira (19th February 2015), Catsquotl (19th February 2015)