Thread: 'The World in 2015' The Economist

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,402 Times in 1,356 Posts

'The World in 2015' The Economist

The cover of the Economist is indeed bizarre, I usually don't pay much attention on the MSM media but this one speaks a lot. There is a lot information about this on the net.

here is an very comprehensive article on the topic

http://vigilantcitizen.com/vigilantr.../#!prettyPhoto

and a video examining this particular cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nijclfE5ok4

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Altaira For This Useful Post:

Curt (4th February 2015), Ria (4th February 2015), Sooz (4th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Very interesting that Alice (in Wonderland) is watching the whole scene from the front. She's the solo spectator... and 'our' stand-in within the picture.

There are even a couple of arrows lodged at her feet...with 11.5, and 11.3 written on them. Could be dates, May 11th, March 11th.
    Last edited by Curt, 4th February 2015 at 10:32.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Curt For This Useful Post:

Altaira (4th February 2015), Ria (4th February 2015), Sooz (4th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,449 Times in 494 Posts
    portrait of cecilia by da vinci right behind a pile of sand..whatever they meant..

wonder why da vinci's cecilia? i 'll see if i can find any clues later on

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elbie For This Useful Post:

Altaira (4th February 2015), Ria (4th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Elbie this is La belle Ferroniere

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Altaira For This Useful Post:

Ria (4th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    altaira, this lady was sitting for his other portraits . the portraits have descriptive names as in this one: la belle Ferroniere, where ferroniere is that thing on her forehead. but her name was cecilia. da vinci appreciated highly this type of beauty. you can check and search and look and look and it will tell you this.

Ferroniere : A jewel held to the forehead by a chain worn by women in France and Italy in the 16th century to hide the marks of syphilis. The ferronière returned in the 19th century all called other things one of which is: lady with an ermine..it's the same person her name was cecilia as in...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elbie For This Useful Post:

Ria (4th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    My research showed this :

La Belle Ferroniere.
    A portrait of Lucrezia Crivelli?

Although I have seen several reproductions and countless versions of the image in books over the years, I had not seen La Belle Ferroniere in the flesh until January 2012. Even in rooms dedicated to Leonardo’s paintings it radiates from the gallery walls. This along with the Lady with an Ermine strikes me as being one of the greatest portraits of all time, it is stunningly beautiful. The painting is reported to be a portrait of Ludovico Sforza's mistress Lucrezia Crivelli, however the identity of the sitter is by no means certain.

La Belle Ferroniere was the nickname of a mistress of Henry II of France, and it is possible that the painting could be Isabella of Aragon. Ludovico’s consort Beatrice d’ Este is also a candidate for the identity of the sitter.

However it is known that Leonardo painted a portrait of Lucrezia Crivelli and it is likely that this is that picture.

The sitter gazes out from a dark almost black background. Only her head and shoulders are illuminated by a light from the front, she is almost lit by the viewer’s eyes. Her head turns with a twisting motion to her left and her eyes also gaze to the left complementing the sense of movement within the picture. The features are wonderfully proportioned, Leonardo has achieved an astonishing smoothness of finish in the facial tones. She wears a Spanish costume, popular at the time, and a decoration of beads around her neck. The lower part of the figure is concealed by a parapet, this gives the sitter a little extra depth.

The vitality and beauty that Leonardo has achieved with this portrait was acclaimed at the time when it was first created, the painting’s power to astonish and delight the viewer has remained unabated for more than 500 years.
    http://www.italian-renaissance-art.c...erroniere.html

The painting enjoys a mysterious title: "The Lady With an Ermine." or the lady with two faces. But historians now feel confident that she is Cecilia Gallerani, a beautiful and talented young woman whose father served at Ludovico's court. The lady is Cecilia Gallerani,

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Altaira For This Useful Post:

Ria (4th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Altaira View Post
    My research showed this :

http://www.italian-renaissance-art.c...erroniere.html

The painting enjoys a mysterious title: "The Lady With an Ermine." or the lady with two faces. But historians now feel confident that she is Cecilia Gallerani, a beautiful and talented young woman whose father served at Ludovico's court. The lady is Cecilia Gallerani,

not that this is so important for the flow of this thread, but if you are specially interested in this period of history of art, practically ALL information stems fron ONE source: GIORGIO VASARI's " biographies" if you studied histrory of rennnaisence you wiil surely remember the book.
    and frankly i have no idea who the author of the text behind that link is, or (not named or i missed it) where h/she drew the info from. odd.

again not that there are many sources from that time. it's just Vasari .other than inscriptions on paintings such as dates etc.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elbie For This Useful Post:

Altaira (4th February 2015), Ria (4th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Elbie View Post
    not that this is so important for the flow of this thread, but if you are specially interested in this period of history of art, practically ALL information stems fron ONE source: GIORGIO VASARI's " biographies" if you studied histrory of rennnaisence you wiil surely remember the book.
    and frankly i have no idea who the author of the text behind that link is, or (not named or i missed it) where h/she drew the info from. odd.

again not that there are many sources from that time. it's just Vasari .other than inscriptions on paintings such as dates etc.
    YOu are right this is not the topic, I just tried to clarify the name of the painting and the name of the woman. I am not familiar with the art history, I just came across two paintings one is the above posted as La belle Ferroniere and the woman is beleived to be Lucrezia Crivelli, while the one you called cecilia is the picture The Lady With an Ermine."

The aouthor of the article is the author of the website so you can check his credentials if you want, but still this is not the point as I saw similar information on several other wesites which are in my browing history but there is no point digging them up again. I always check my info several times before posting it.

So I think I am confused lol, who is who? I know it goes off topic.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Altaira For This Useful Post:

Ria (4th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Altaira View Post
    YOu are right this is not the topic, I just tried to clarify the name of the painting and the name of the woman. I am not familiar with the art history, I just came across two paintings one is the above posted as La belle Ferroniere and the woman is beleived to be Lucrezia Crivelli, while the one you called cecilia is the picture The Lady With an Ermine."

The aouthor of the article is the author of the website so you can check his credentials if you want, but still this is not the point as I saw similar information on several other wesites which are in my browing history but there is no point digging them up again. I always check my info several times before posting it.

So I think I am confused lol, who is who? I know it goes off topic.
    you are right in that we should be concetrating on many other details in this picture.

i did not explain it very well earlier, so it seems. thse 2 paintings are paintings with a different names but of the same lady , ceclilia galerini .. according to Giorgio Vasari..

there are not so many source books on this period, basically it is vasari's writings ...who at the same time was a painter master himself and contemporary.

wonderful book

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Elbie For This Useful Post:

Ria (4th February 2015)