Thread: Mindblowing archery skills; Lars Andersen: a new level of archery

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,882 Times in 3,290 Posts

Mindblowing archery skills; Lars Andersen: a new level of archery

You will never see archery on the big screen the same after this !

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk

DO I HIT EVERYHING?
    I use a LOT of time practicing, and every time I set out to learn a new skill, a new trick or how to handle a new type of bow or arrow, it takes a long time, with plenty of misses. When I got the idea of grabbing an arrow in flight and firing before I landed, it took me months to learn. For a long time, arrows flew everywhere!
    But there's no trick in the video that I haven't done many times (except for splitting the arrow in flight – after I'd done that once I finished the video). The one with hitting the blade I've only done three times, though. All that running hurt my knees. ;-)

THE BACK QUIVER
    Hollywood of course did not invent the back quiver, but they spread the myth it was proper archery!
    Many asked why I do not use a back quiver and that is why I am showing my own experience, how bad it is in motion.
    There are many different historical variatoner of back quiver and they have of course been used, but presumably belt quiver was more common and some archers did not use quiver.

TARGET PLATES
    Past archers obvious used fixed targets, but not the modern round divided two dimensional.

ON MY BOWS AND POWER
    Many people talk about how what I do is only possible because I use bows that are less powerful than English longbows. They are correct. I'm 50 years old, and have been doing archery for only ten years. I'll never be able to shoot really fast with 100 lbs+ war bows. I tried, but it just produced injuries. Had I started at age 10, it would have been a different story. ;-)

There is also a tendency from critics to assume that bows were always fired against plate armour (as at Crecy in 1346 and Agincourt in 1415). This was very much the exception. Many opponents had little or no armour at all, and Stone Age findings show that many animals were taken down by multiple shots. Also, in 1923 Saxton T Pope examined a number of historical museum bows from around the world. His conclusion was that most only had a tensile strength of 45-50 pounds.

THE CHAINMAIL TEST
    Around 04:22 I penetrate chainmail. The arrows had bodkin tips, and the chainmail is riveted. However, while the gambeson is thick, it's not as thick as some I've seen elsewhere. But one reason the arrows penetrate is that I sharpen not only the tip itself, but also the edges of the bodkin tip.

SHOOTING ON THE RIGHT SIDE
    There are archery traditions alive today which shoot the arrow on the right side of the bow, as I do. However, the places where most people come into contact with archery (Hollywood, The Olympics, archery clubs) do it left around the bow.

THE THREE LEVELS OF ARROW HANDLING
    It is obvious much more complicated, We can not know what the first archers did, some of the earliest pictures show arrows in the bow hand, but the arrow is much older than the bow so the quiver may be used and it is impossible entirely exclude that the first archer held his shafts in the draw hand.
    In some parts of history is progress gone in the 3 levels, but other times the opposite has happened. Some archers are gone from arrows in the draw hand to the avancerde rapid fire quiver that was developed just before war archery disappeared.

THE ULTIMATE TRICK TOOK 14 TAKES

At first, I didn't think it was possible. You don't have time to aim or think, but can only do it if your reactions are completely instinctive. First of all, you need to be convinced that you WILL hit it, so you can “feel” the incoming arrow and fire at it instead of just flinching away.

I was also in doubt whether it was smart to show this, because I don't want anyone to get hurt trying to copy the trick. I trained for years with soft boffer arrows and spent a LONG time before I tried it even the first time. And the arrow fired at me was not fired with a very powerful bow, though it was definitely dangerous enough!

It was a light bamboo arrow with a metal tip, and the arrow I shot back was a heavier aluminum arrow. That the arrow split was just pure luck, and I'm not certain I could repeat it without first training for a long time. I believe it split because it hit just behind the head and made the shafts fluctuate against each other, causing the bamboo shaft to split lengthwise.

I hope to try it again using a proper high-speed camera!

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Useful Post:

Breeze (3rd February 2015), Calabash (3rd February 2015), Calz (3rd February 2015), dianna (3rd February 2015), Highland1 (3rd February 2015), jimmer (3rd February 2015), monk (3rd February 2015), ronin (3rd February 2015), sandancer (3rd February 2015), sandy (4th February 2015), Scary Monster (19th May 2015), Sebastion (3rd February 2015), Terra (3rd February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,470 Times in 981 Posts
    Wow, what an awesome and also refreshing find Spiral!

To even imagine there were superior archers than Lars is mind blowing.
    I found myself imagining a battle scene with archers using these deadly skills whilst watching the video!
    If this had been in an action movie, one would have believed special effects would have been applied to achieve these lightning fast skills but clearly Lars is the real deal!
    Makes shooting an apple off someones head look lame! lol

Thanks Spiral.

Russ

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Highland1 For This Useful Post:

Breeze (3rd February 2015), jimmer (3rd February 2015), monk (3rd February 2015), ronin (3rd February 2015), sandancer (3rd February 2015), sandy (4th February 2015), Spiral (3rd February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,484 Times in 364 Posts
    OMG that is absolutely amazing!!! I absolutely agree with what this man has discovered going through old history accounts, true warrior archers had to be exceptionally flexible and fast in the heat of combat.

I have done archery myself, but rather as a discipline of concentrated willful focus, while blindfolded. BEcoming one with the arrow and the target. Such engagement with the bow brought back re-rememberances of past lives of when I was an archer. The OP link does the same and reminds me of what skills have been lost along the way in the passage of Time.

Thank you for sharing this masterful link. I know many friends to forward this onto who will be just as wooowed as I am.
    Last edited by Breeze, 3rd February 2015 at 13:33. Reason: grammar

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Breeze For This Useful Post:

Highland1 (3rd February 2015), jimmer (3rd February 2015), monk (3rd February 2015), ronin (3rd February 2015), sandancer (3rd February 2015), sandy (4th February 2015), Spiral (3rd February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 319 Posts
    This just pushed the awesometer past 11.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to monk For This Useful Post:

Breeze (3rd February 2015), Highland1 (3rd February 2015), jimmer (3rd February 2015), sandancer (3rd February 2015), sandy (4th February 2015), Spiral (3rd February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,116 Times in 3,777 Posts
    is he some sort of savant?
    what reflexes and coordination.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jimmer For This Useful Post:

Breeze (3rd February 2015), Highland1 (3rd February 2015), sandy (4th February 2015), Spiral (3rd February 2015)

Senior Member England
    Thanks
    Thanks Spiral, that is some talent, and good for him for practicing so hard.

Wish I had seen this when I was a kid... am a bit old to ask my brother to play cowboys and indians now.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Terra For This Useful Post:

Breeze (3rd February 2015), Highland1 (3rd February 2015), sandy (4th February 2015), Spiral (3rd February 2015)