Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What is your best alternative medicine?

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,449 Times in 494 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Sooz View Post
    Oh Goody! That's handy to know, I'll give it a go then, lol.

Did you know that during the depression (my Mother grew up as a teenager in the depression), the ladies used beetroot juice as a stain on their lips for lipstick, and just a little on their cheeks instead of rouge. Mum said they didn't have stockings either, so they used a fake tan kind of thing on their legs (don't know what they used as fake tan wasn't around then) and used an eyebrow pencil to draw a stocking seam from the back of the ankle to above the knee. Voila! Instant stockings!

See? I am such a useful font of useless information, lol....
    useless? no...priceless

you would think some organic skin care producer would put this to use..i.e. sqeeze beets' juice into small vials with suitable applicators.
    i'd much rather use beet juice instead of lipsticks.
    Last edited by Elbie, 5th February 2015 at 08:40.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elbie For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), Altaira (12th February 2015), sandy (12th February 2015), Sooz (5th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,402 Times in 1,356 Posts
    I read somewhere, can't remember now that if you apply turmeric paste on your skin is extremely beneficial. Especially if you use it for some skin problems because it not just tackle the problem directly on the spot but also it is absorbed through the skin and works internally as well. However I am still hesitating to try it on my son's eczema patches. I am afraid he will stain everything around .

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Altaira For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), Curt (12th February 2015), sandy (12th February 2015), Sooz (12th February 2015)

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,398 Times in 3,150 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Altaira View Post
    I read somewhere, can't remember now that if you apply turmeric paste on your skin is extremely beneficial. Especially if you use it for some skin problems because it not just tackle the problem directly on the spot but also it is absorbed through the skin and works internally as well. However I am still hesitating to try it on my son's eczema patches. I am afraid he will stain everything around .
    Yes Altaira, it does stain everything, so one must be careful. I gave my teeth and gums a good, but gentle, turmeric scrub last night. (It whitens the teeth and is very good for gum health). Had to use a plastic hand glove and scrub the sink down with a scourer.

I also used the turmeric/honey face mask last weekend. It did NOT leave my face looking like a Tandoori chicken, lol. Although my face cloth is the worse for wear. If you use this as a face mask, have a special wash cloth that you don't mind being stained as you wipe it off.

All that being said, I will always use turmeric, (topically and internally), just be mindful of the stains, prepare - wear an old shirt and scour up stains immediately in the bathroom. It does come off with elbow grease.

It is very beneficial for any skin condition - paste it on as a glue like paste with water or mix with regular honey.

As always, use organic turmeric powder.
    Last edited by Sooz, 12th February 2015 at 10:28.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), Altaira (12th February 2015), Curt (12th February 2015), sandy (12th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanks Sooz, very sound advice, I'll have to think and plan before put it on my 6 yo son and how to wash it off afterwards.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Altaira For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), sandy (12th February 2015), Sooz (12th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Ayahuasca. Nothing touches it.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KINGSTON FRIZZ For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), Altaira (12th February 2015), sandy (12th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by KINGSTON FRIZZ View Post
    Ayahuasca. Nothing touches it.

LOL. . . . .Ayahuasca is not an alternative medicine.

What illness or ailment would it be an “alternative medicine” for or in other words, what pharma drug would Ayahuasca replace?

Ayahuasca is not something (I would recommend) that should be ingested on a regular or often basis.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blufire For This Useful Post:

Altaira (12th February 2015), KINGSTON FRIZZ (12th February 2015), sandy (12th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by foxfire View Post
    LOL. . . . .Ayahuasca is not an alternative medicine.
    Ayahuasca is commonly referred to as a medicine. Google it.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KINGSTON FRIZZ For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), Altaira (12th February 2015), sandy (12th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks

What illness or ailment would it be an “alternative medicine” for or in other words,

Cancer, Hepatitis C, asthma, migraine, gastritis, tinnitus, depression, and alcohol & drug addiction.

This is a good book too: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...cancer&f=false
    Last edited by KINGSTON FRIZZ, 12th February 2015 at 14:53.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KINGSTON FRIZZ For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), sandy (12th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks

Ayahuasca is not something (I would recommend) that should be ingested on a regular or often basis.
    I agree.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KINGSTON FRIZZ For This Useful Post:

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Ayahuasca is commonly referred to as a medicine. Google it.
    Agree this is one of the applications.
    Last edited by Altaira, 13th February 2015 at 10:42.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Altaira For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), KINGSTON FRIZZ (12th February 2015), sandy (12th February 2015)

(account terminated)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,245 Times in 554 Posts
    I agree.
    i second that ...

i did it properly in Cuzco with the local inca shaman .. wow ... i went through a serious healing ... it was something out of this world

N

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NANUXII For This Useful Post:

Retired Member
    Thanks
    This is a good book too: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...cancer&f=false

The Therapeutic Use of Ayahuasca (Google eBook)
    Beatriz Caiuby Labate, Clancy Cavnar

This book presents a series of perspectives on the therapeutic potential of the ritual and clinical use of the Amazonian hallucinogenic brew ayahuasca in the treatment and management of various diseases and ailments, especially its role in psychological well-being and substance dependence. Biomedical and anthropological data on the use of ayahuasca for treating depression, PTSD, and substance dependence in different settings, such as indigenous contexts, neo-shamanic rituals, contemporary therapeutic circles, and in ayahuasca religions, in both South and North America, are presented and critiqued. Though multiple anecdotal reports on the therapeutic use of ayahuasca exist, there has been no systematic and dense reflection on the topic thus far. The book brings the therapeutic use of ayahuasca to a new level of public examination and academic debate. The texts in this volume stimulate discussion on methodological, ethical, and political aspects of research and will enhance the development of this emergent field of studies.
    This does look like a very interesting book, but I think if you read carefully on what this book is about you will find it is not a book that definitively says Ayahuasca will ‘cure’ the ailments you mentioned. This book, it seems from the ‘blurb’, is concentrating on bringing possible ‘therapeutic uses to a new level of public examination and academic debate’ and that the ‘texts in this volume stimulate discussion on methodological, ethical, and political aspects of research and will enhance the development of this emergent field of studies’. In short this looks like a book that hopes to stimulate further research and study.

I am a credentialed medicinal herbalist and have practiced the last 15 years (or so). I studied to acquire an RN (registered nurse) degree while I was formally studying to become a clinical medicinal herbalist.

All my life I have been ‘schooled’ by my grandmother and especially my great-grandmother to use the natural medicine that grows in abundance here in the Appalachian Mountains.
    There are far more effective natural cures for the diseases/ailments you mentioned
    Cancer, Hepatitis C, asthma, migraine, gastritis, tinnitus, depression, and alcohol & drug addiction
    than using Ayahuasca.

Natural medicine is such an incredible resource for everyone no matter your income level, where you live or so many other factors that with conventional medicine where the majority are highly limited.
    The major problem I see (and scary one) is there is so much erroneous and downright false information on the internet.

I like threads like this one because it is such a good introduction to the wonderful world of plants and herbs and Mother Nature’s medicine cabinet.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blufire For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), gardener (22nd April 2015), sandy (12th February 2015), Sooz (12th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,882 Times in 3,290 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Altaira View Post
    What about applying it for periods of say an hour & either lightly bandage over it or dedicate a piece of old clothing to it, like a long sleeve T shirt or something, depending on where it is of course, then washing it off for bed / school etc

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Useful Post:

Altaira (12th February 2015), sandy (12th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    There are far more effective natural cures for the diseases/ailments you mentione dthan using Ayahuasca.

I don't doubt it. I was just answering your question:

what illness or ailment would it be an “alternative medicine” for

with some examples of what is has been used for.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KINGSTON FRIZZ For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), blufire (12th February 2015), sandy (12th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Spiral View Post
    What about applying it for periods of say an hour & either lightly bandage over it or dedicate a piece of old clothing to it, like a long sleeve T shirt or something, depending on where it is of course, then washing it off for bed / school etc
    Yes this is what I think to do Spiral although it is on the inner side of his elbows so whatever you put it will be hard to stay there especially little boy who can't stay still even while sleeping .

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altaira For This Useful Post: