Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your best alternative medicine?

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,398 Times in 3,150 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by lookbeyond View Post
    Hi Heyokah, could i ask please approximately how much tumeric/ day you suggest eg 1 teaspoon?

I use organic Pure Food Essentials for spices, i would like to ask does anyone think this is not a good brand?

Thanks, lb
    Hi LB,

I know you are an Ozzy, so here is a site where I get all my organic goodies here in Oz.

https://santostrading.com.au/

As far as turmeric goes, I take a teaspoon in my morning smoothy. I also sprinkle it on everything I eat, eggs, veggies, meat, anything at all. So all up, I suppose I take about 2 teaspoons a day.

That's just an intuitive 'guestimate' from me of what is good for the average person who have no health issues. A naturopath may say you should take more if you have specific health issues.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), Altaira (4th February 2015), Curt (4th February 2015), heyokah (5th February 2015), lookbeyond (4th February 2015), Ria (4th February 2015), sandy (5th February 2015), Seikou-Kishi (4th February 2015)

Retired Member UK
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,328 Times in 1,589 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by gardener View Post
    Where can I get gum turpentine in UK?
    here you go Gardner....

http://www.mylands.co.uk/wood-finish...ntine-374.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mylands-Pure.../dp/B00ECBPAPS

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ronin For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), gardener (22nd April 2015), Ria (4th February 2015), sandy (5th February 2015), Sooz (4th February 2015)

(account terminated)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,366 Times in 282 Posts
    I started juice plus last year. So far, the house I live in has been through flu and colds about six times. I haven't got sick this year.

To boot? The allergic reactions I used to get during the year have either minimized or disappeared.

PS: I'm planting a medicinal garden as part of my back-yard revamp project, sort of going back into traditional european plants as well as many of the local medicinals. There is nothing, nothing, more engaging and exciting than walking through the countryside with an elder who points out traditional plants and their medicinal uses. If you ever get the opportunity, take it.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hermit For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), Altaira (12th February 2015), gardener (22nd April 2015), heyokah (5th February 2015), Ria (4th February 2015), sandy (5th February 2015), Tribe (4th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,405 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Milneman View Post
    I started juice plus last year. So far, the house I live in has been through flu and colds about six times. I haven't got sick this year.

To boot? The allergic reactions I used to get during the year have either minimized or disappeared.

PS: I'm planting a medicinal garden as part of my back-yard revamp project, sort of going back into traditional european plants as well as many of the local medicinals. There is nothing, nothing, more engaging and exciting than walking through the countryside with an elder who points out traditional plants and their medicinal uses. If you ever get the opportunity, take it.
    my father is 76 years old and his diet was awful i put him on juice plus and the change in his energy levels were amazing ! its easier for him to take this as he can't prep healthier foods the way that is needed , so yep its all good xx

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tribe For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), Altaira (12th February 2015), Hermit (4th February 2015), sandy (5th February 2015)

(account terminated)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,366 Times in 282 Posts
    It's SCAREY how awesome this stuff is Tribe (no, I'm not trying to sell it lol)....although I am giving up red meat for lent, hopefully the start of something amazing grows from that!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hermit For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), Altaira (12th February 2015), sandy (5th February 2015), Tribe (4th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,564 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Sooz View Post
    Hi LB,

I know you are an Ozzy, so here is a site where I get all my organic goodies here in Oz.

https://santostrading.com.au/

As far as turmeric goes, I take a teaspoon in my morning smoothy. I also sprinkle it on everything I eat, eggs, veggies, meat, anything at all. So all up, I suppose I take about 2 teaspoons a day.

That's just an intuitive 'guestimate' from me of what is good for the average person who have no health issues. A naturopath may say you should take more if you have specific health issues.
    Do you like the taste of turmeric? It seems to taste of chalk to me. It's certainly beneficial, but I find it has to be swamped out with other spices to be palatable. Is it an acquired taste?

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Seikou-Kishi For This Useful Post:

Altaira (12th February 2015), lookbeyond (5th February 2015), sandy (5th February 2015), Sooz (5th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,684 Times in 1,382 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Seikou-Kishi View Post
    Do you like the taste of turmeric? It seems to taste of chalk to me. It's certainly beneficial, but I find it has to be swamped out with other spices to be palatable. Is it an acquired taste?
    I would think, in a smoothie, it doesn't matter much because you can swig it down without 'touching the sides'.

I'd like to ask sooz how she makes smoothies. Which gadget should I buy?

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), Altaira (12th February 2015), sandy (5th February 2015), Seikou-Kishi (5th February 2015), Sooz (5th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,564 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by norman View Post
    I would think, in a smoothie, it doesn't matter much because you can swig it down without 'touching the sides'.

I'd like to ask sooz how she makes smoothies. Which gadget should I buy?
    It doesn't taste so bad in golden milk, which is the only drink I've ever tried with turmeric. I don't take it with honey, though, and I know sweetness would mask the bitterness of the turmeric. I've never been sorry to see the glass emptied, though lol. I find it's not so bad in curry, amongst all the other spices, and it is hardly a hardship to have a little curry :-)

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Seikou-Kishi For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), Altaira (12th February 2015), sandy (5th February 2015), Sooz (5th February 2015)

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    I actually like the taste of it sprinkled on food. I don't taste it in my smoothy because of so many other things I put in it.

Norman, I don't have a gadget, I just use a large container that has a screw top on it - and just shake it all up to combine the ingredients, because they are all powders. If I was going to add chopped up fruit, I would use my blender. But I am not a big fan of fruit anyway. I'm a veggie girl!

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), Altaira (12th February 2015), norman (5th February 2015), sandy (5th February 2015), Seikou-Kishi (5th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,133 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Seikou-Kishi View Post
    It doesn't taste so bad in golden milk, which is the only drink I've ever tried with turmeric. I don't take it with honey, though, and I know sweetness would mask the bitterness of the turmeric. I've never been sorry to see the glass emptied, though lol. I find it's not so bad in curry, amongst all the other spices, and it is hardly a hardship to have a little curry :-)
    This will freak you out SK, my kids sprinkle tumeric and coriander seeds (whole) on their dinner a couple times/week

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lookbeyond For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), Altaira (12th February 2015), sandy (5th February 2015), Seikou-Kishi (5th February 2015), Sooz (5th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,406 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hmmmmmm. possibly what may grow from that is lent ils

Quote Originally posted by Milneman View Post
    It's SCAREY how awesome this stuff is Tribe (no, I'm not trying to sell it lol)....although I am giving up red meat for lent, hopefully the start of something amazing grows from that!

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sandy For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), Altaira (12th February 2015), Hermit (5th February 2015), Seikou-Kishi (5th February 2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by lookbeyond View Post
    Hi Heyokah, could i ask please approximately how much tumeric/ day you suggest eg 1 teaspoon?

Thanks, lb
    I think I use between half to one teaspoon a day. It just depends on my menu.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to heyokah For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), Altaira (12th February 2015), lookbeyond (5th February 2015), Sooz (5th February 2015)

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    I received an email today and accidentally deleted it. But the essence of it was this, from memory:

For a face mask mix quarter teaspoon of turmeric with half teaspoon of manuka honey and a teaspoon of warm plain yoghurt or water, spread over your face and leave on for 10 minutes, then rinse off.

Apparently it leaves your skin glowing. I've not tried this before, so not sure if the turmeric is going to make me look like a tandoori curry or not! I read this is what Indian brides and grooms do as a ritual before getting married. But they have dark skin. And I am whitey white. Not sure if I am game, lol...

I guess you can always leave out the turmeric and just use manuka honey and warm yoghurt - that's the safer option I'm thinking.

I'll try it on the weekend and let you know...

Edit: Also in the same email, they said using sauerkraut or kimchi on your face as a mask was good also. Makes sense, as it's a probiotic with all those lovely enzymes.
    Last edited by Sooz, 5th February 2015 at 08:19.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

Altaira (12th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,449 Times in 494 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Sooz View Post
    I received an email today and accidentally deleted it. But the essence of it was this, from memory:

For a face mask mix quarter teaspoon of turmeric with half teaspoon of manuka honey and a teaspoon of warm plain yoghurt or water, spread over your face and leave on for 10 minutes, then rinse off.

Apparently it leaves your skin glowing. I've not tried this before, so not sure if the turmeric is going to make me look like a tandoori curry or not! I read this is what Indian brides and grooms do as a ritual before getting married. But they have dark skin. And I am whitey white. Not sure if I am game, lol...

I guess you can always leave out the turmeric and just use manuka honey and warm yoghurt - that's the safer option I'm thinking.

I'll try it on the weekend and let you know...
    it won't stain you skin. i tried the mask according to the mx you describe, only instead of yogurth, i put organic milk..it does feel lovely afterwords.
    i had exactly the same concern as you, but thought what the hell i'd just use my scrub up cleanser if i turn orange..but no.

i wouldn't apply beetroot on my face

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elbie For This Useful Post:

Altaira (12th February 2015), heyokah (5th February 2015), Sooz (5th February 2015)

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Elbie View Post
    it won't stain you skin. i tried the mask according to the mx you describe, only instead of yogurth, i put organic milk..it does feel lovely afterwords.
    i had exactly the same concern as you, but thought what the hell i'd just use my scrub up cleanser if i turn orange..but no.

i wouldn't apply beetroot on my face
    Oh Goody! That's handy to know, I'll give it a go then, lol.

Did you know that during the depression (my Mother grew up as a teenager in the depression), the ladies used beetroot juice as a stain on their lips for lipstick, and just a little on their cheeks instead of rouge. Mum said they didn't have stockings either, so they used a fake tan kind of thing on their legs (don't know what they used as fake tan wasn't around then) and used an eyebrow pencil to draw a stocking seam from the back of the ankle to above the knee. Voila! Instant stockings!

See? I am such a useful font* of useless information, lol....

Edit: *Font or Fount? (Can't be arsed to look it up.)
    Last edited by Sooz, 5th February 2015 at 08:50.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

Altaira (12th February 2015), Elbie (5th February 2015), heyokah (5th February 2015)