Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your best alternative medicine?

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,406 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi Altaira,

I bump my Vitamin D up to 10,000 in the winter months and then back down to 5,000 when the sun and I are outside much more This has been my regime for the past 5 years and so far so good. I have researched Vitamin D a fair amount and one can get as much as 20,000 units from the sun in less than 15 minutes out in the direct sun thus the reason I bump it back down in the warmer months.

I swear by Vitamin D more than any other supplement due to the fact that is has also kept my Fibromyalgia at bay as well. Initially I only took Vitamin D and added the other supplements a few years later. This was the alternative I went to when I first weaned myself off all drug related therapies and it may be all in my head but I remain drug free at the age of 67 and feel great.

Thank you for your concern and wisdom which I do not doubt by the way and value your contributions always.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sandy For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), Altaira (2nd February 2015), Cearna (3rd February 2015), Chickadee (3rd February 2015), Elbie (3rd February 2015), gardener (22nd April 2015), heyokah (3rd February 2015), Lee (4th April 2015), lookbeyond (4th February 2015), modwiz (3rd February 2015), pointessa (12th April 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,402 Times in 1,356 Posts
    Thanks Sandy, Its good to know it from first hand experience.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Altaira For This Useful Post:

Cearna (3rd February 2015), Chickadee (3rd February 2015), gardener (22nd April 2015), lookbeyond (4th February 2015), sandy (3rd February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,564 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Lavender oil has countless uses. Shamanseeker has a thread on it.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Seikou-Kishi For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), Altaira (3rd February 2015), Cearna (3rd February 2015), Chickadee (3rd February 2015), gardener (22nd April 2015), heyokah (3rd February 2015), lookbeyond (4th February 2015), modwiz (3rd February 2015), sandy (3rd February 2015), Sooz (4th February 2015)

Thanks
    For me Curcumin (turmeric) and Bakingsoda are two real 'life elixers'.

Curcumin is a miracle nutrient that prevents and treats a wide variety of serious disease conditions.

There are "10 Proven Health Benefits of Turmeric and Curcumin".

1. Turmeric Contains Bioactive Compounds With Powerful Medicinal Properties
    2. Curcumin is a Natural Anti-Inflammatory Compound
    3. Turmeric Dramatically Increases The Antioxidant Capacity of The Body
    4. Curcumin Boosts Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor, Linked to Improved Brain Function and a Lower Risk of Brain Diseases
    5. Curcumin Leads to Various Improvements That Should Lower Your Risk of Heart Disease
    6. Turmeric Can Help Prevent (And Perhaps Even Treat) Cancer
    7. Curcumin May be Useful in Preventing and Treating Alzheimer’s Disease
    8. Arthritis Patients Respond Very Well to Curcumin Supplementation
    9. Studies Show That Curcumin Has Incredible Benefits Against Depression
    10. Curcumin May Help Delay Ageing and Fight Age-Related Chronic Diseases

http://authoritynutrition.com/top-10...s-of-turmeric/
    I use it in my yoghurt and smoothies.
    In soup, stews, or anything I fry or bake, I put it in the pan together with the (coconut)oil, salt and black pepper.
    Your eggs will look yellow as sunshine

And then dear old Bakingsoda, or sodium bicarbonate NaHCO3.
    Too many uses and benefits to mention them all.

"51 Fantastic Uses for Baking Soda"
    http://www.care2.com/greenliving/51-...jWrMDTxxBRXg==
    I never travel without these two ingredients.
    Oh well... I take some other ones as well.....
    Last edited by heyokah, 3rd February 2015 at 02:46.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to heyokah For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), Altaira (3rd February 2015), Cearna (3rd February 2015), lookbeyond (4th February 2015), modwiz (3rd February 2015), norman (3rd February 2015), sandy (3rd February 2015), Seikou-Kishi (3rd February 2015), Sooz (3rd February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,684 Times in 1,382 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by heyokah View Post

6. Use as an Antacid

Baking soda is a safe and effective antacid to relieve heartburn, sour stomach and/or acid indigestion. Refer to baking soda package for instructions.

Here's what I've heard about using alkaline substances as 'antacid'.

Our stomach is supposed to be the most acid part of the body to function properly. If it has enough acidity and enough probiotics it can deal with anything within reason.

If either of these drop, the stomach has to work harder to digest food. It does this partly by increasing the amount of squeezing and mixing of it's contents. During this increased activity, some of the contents escape upwards and cause a burning sensation that people usually treat with an 'antacid'. The immediate sensation of relief from the burning convinces people that they are doing the right thing.

It's true that the baking soda has neutralized the acid burning in the area just outside the stomach. It hasn't actually treated the problem though.

The treatment required is more stomach acid and more stomach probiotics so that it can 'relax' a bit and get back to normal behavior.

Where do you buy your turmeric ? Is the stuff in the supermarkets ok? I understand all herbs and spices are irradiated before they reach the shops. I therefore tend to assume that any biotic goodness in them will be well dead and gone.

Thanks for the links.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), Altaira (3rd February 2015), Cearna (3rd February 2015), heyokah (3rd February 2015), lookbeyond (4th February 2015), modwiz (3rd February 2015), sandy (3rd February 2015), Seikou-Kishi (3rd February 2015), Sooz (3rd February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,564 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by norman View Post
    6. Use as an Antacid

Baking soda is a safe and effective antacid to relieve heartburn, sour stomach and/or acid indigestion. Refer to baking soda package for instructions.

Here's what I've heard about using alkaline substances as 'antacid'.

Our stomach is supposed to be the most acid part of the body to function properly. If it has enough acidity and enough probiotics it can deal with anything within reason.

If either of these drop, the stomach has to work harder to digest food. It does this partly by increasing the amount of squeezing and mixing of it's contents. During this increased activity, some of the contents escape upwards and cause a burning sensation that people usually treat with an 'antacid'. The immediate sensation of relief from the burning convinces people that they are doing the right thing.

It's true that the baking soda has neutralized the acid burning in the area just outside the stomach. It hasn't actually treated the problem though.

The treatment required is more stomach acid and more stomach probiotics so that it can 'relax' a bit and get back to normal behavior.

Where do you buy your turmeric ? Is the stuff in the supermarkets ok? I understand all herbs and spices are irradiated before they reach the shops. I therefore tend to assume that any biotic goodness in them will be well dead and gone.

Thanks for the links.
    This is correct. It seems to be counter-intuitive until we have the information you have shared, but an acidic liquid like vinegar or lemon juice has an antacid effect in the stomach by aiding digestion. Cow's milk works in this way too, as it's slightly acidic, while the fats in the milk coat the oesophagous, easing and preventing chemical burns caused by indigestion. Other antacids, which work differently, include mint teas and oils.
    Last edited by Seikou-Kishi, 3rd February 2015 at 04:16.

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Seikou-Kishi For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), Altaira (3rd February 2015), Cearna (3rd February 2015), heyokah (3rd February 2015), lookbeyond (4th February 2015), modwiz (3rd February 2015), norman (3rd February 2015), sandy (3rd February 2015), Sooz (3rd February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,558 Times in 346 Posts
    Hello everyone this is very interesting I love this thread, Russ helped me with a lot of information on cancer, from there I did some research and I am feeling better now than I have in years, not only thatbut many ofmy friends have noticed a big difference in me, I have felt a big difference in me, I use iodine (lugols solution)Himalayan salt, my favourite is bicarbonate soda, and I use many Asian foods and natural medicine which I purchase at the Asian supermarket, and as someone here just said I am a great believer now in cayenne pepper, I have taken note on the things recommended by all of you thank you so much. PS has anybody watched the interwiew about the Italian doctor that cures cancer with bicarbonate soda? many thanks everyone regards gardener x

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to gardener For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), Altaira (3rd February 2015), Cearna (3rd February 2015), heyokah (3rd February 2015), Highland1 (4th February 2015), lookbeyond (4th February 2015), sandy (4th February 2015), Seikou-Kishi (3rd February 2015), Sooz (3rd February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,684 Times in 1,382 Posts
    Hi gardener, I can tell from your recent posts that you feel much better.

Last edited by norman, 3rd February 2015 at 06:34.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), Altaira (3rd February 2015), Cearna (3rd February 2015), Hermit (4th February 2015), heyokah (3rd February 2015), Highland1 (4th February 2015), lookbeyond (4th February 2015), sandy (4th February 2015), Sooz (3rd February 2015)

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,398 Times in 3,150 Posts
    This my response from another thread.

(I also take a product called 'Vital Greens' here in Oz and add, turmeric, cinnamon, cayenne, honey, olive oil, black cumin seed, in either rice milk or a veggie juice. Been doing this the last 4/5 years. No health problems whatsoever. Prevention is the best cure.)

http://jandeane81.com/threads/4306-T...lth-Revolution
    See my post, #10.

Sooz

PS: And cacao (magnesium), hempseed in my morning smoothy when I can afford it.
    Last edited by Sooz, 3rd February 2015 at 06:56.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sooz For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), Altaira (3rd February 2015), Cearna (3rd February 2015), heyokah (3rd February 2015), lookbeyond (4th February 2015), sandy (4th February 2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by norman View Post

Thanks for the links.
    Where to Get Pure Turmeric Powder in Organic Quality?

Source: http://www.healwithfood.org/where-to...er-organic.php

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to heyokah For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), Altaira (3rd February 2015), lookbeyond (4th February 2015), norman (3rd February 2015), Sooz (3rd February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,406 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Fantastic Gardener...............so happy for you and way to take charge of your dis ease!!

Quote Originally posted by gardener View Post
    Hello everyone this is very interesting I love this thread, Russ helped me with a lot of information on cancer, from there I did some research and I am feeling better now than I have in years, not only thatbut many ofmy friends have noticed a big difference in me, I have felt a big difference in me, I use iodine (lugols solution)Himalayan salt, my favourite is bicarbonate soda, and I use many Asian foods and natural medicine which I purchase at the Asian supermarket, and as someone here just said I am a great believer now in cayenne pepper, I have taken note on the things recommended by all of you thank you so much. PS has anybody watched the interwiew about the Italian doctor that cures cancer with bicarbonate soda? many thanks everyone regards gardener x

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sandy For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), Altaira (4th February 2015), lookbeyond (4th February 2015), Sooz (4th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,133 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by heyokah View Post
    For me Curcumin (turmeric) and Bakingsoda are two real 'life elixers'.

Curcumin is a miracle nutrient that prevents and treats a wide variety of serious disease conditions.

There are "10 Proven Health Benefits of Turmeric and Curcumin".

1. Turmeric Contains Bioactive Compounds With Powerful Medicinal Properties
    2. Curcumin is a Natural Anti-Inflammatory Compound
    3. Turmeric Dramatically Increases The Antioxidant Capacity of The Body
    4. Curcumin Boosts Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor, Linked to Improved Brain Function and a Lower Risk of Brain Diseases
    5. Curcumin Leads to Various Improvements That Should Lower Your Risk of Heart Disease
    6. Turmeric Can Help Prevent (And Perhaps Even Treat) Cancer
    7. Curcumin May be Useful in Preventing and Treating Alzheimer’s Disease
    8. Arthritis Patients Respond Very Well to Curcumin Supplementation
    9. Studies Show That Curcumin Has Incredible Benefits Against Depression
    10. Curcumin May Help Delay Ageing and Fight Age-Related Chronic Diseases

http://authoritynutrition.com/top-10...s-of-turmeric/
    I use it in my yoghurt and smoothies.
    In soup, stews, or anything I fry or bake, I put it in the pan together with the (coconut)oil, salt and black pepper.
    Your eggs will look yellow as sunshine

And then dear old Bakingsoda, or sodium bicarbonate NaHCO3.
    Too many uses and benefits to mention them all.

I never travel without these two ingredients.
    Oh well... I take some other ones as well.....
    Hi Heyokah, could i ask please approximately how much tumeric/ day you suggest eg 1 teaspoon?

I use organic Pure Food Essentials for spices, i would like to ask does anyone think this is not a good brand?

Thanks, lb

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lookbeyond For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), Altaira (4th February 2015), sandy (5th February 2015)

Retired Member UK
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,328 Times in 1,589 Posts
    two pints of lager and a packet of crisp does wonders

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ronin For This Useful Post:

Altaira (4th February 2015), Hermit (4th February 2015), lookbeyond (4th February 2015), sandy (5th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,402 Times in 1,356 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by ronin View Post
    two pints of lager and a packet of crisp does wonders
    This is how my hubby supplements his nutritional deficiencies. Made me rethink why we get ill in the first place. Whether it is bad nutrition or our attitude to life. He is extremely positive person.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Altaira For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), heyokah (5th February 2015), lookbeyond (4th February 2015), ronin (4th February 2015), sandy (5th February 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,558 Times in 346 Posts
    Where can I get gum turpentine in UK?

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gardener For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th April 2015), Altaira (4th February 2015), sandy (5th February 2015)