Thread: My friend and inspiration, and his grassroots project

Thanks
    Thanked 6,020 Times in 1,226 Posts

My friend and inspiration, and his grassroots project

Chris Cotter has always been my favorite musician to watch live. He’s played in numerous bands as we grew through our adult life (college years) in Newark (University of Delaware for me, he was/is a local of the West Chester, PA area and came down to perform and he has many friends in the area). As a drummer, he elevates the level of everyone playing with him, but my favorite was always watching him by himself on his 90+ drum kit he had in a buddy’s basement—listening to him jam was better than most concerts.

His current band is called WaveRadio, if you are in the West Chester/Phily area and have a chance, they do a sick “Shine on Your Crazy Diamond” and “Hey, Hey What Can I do?”, among other covers and spectacular originals. I have posted some of his songs around here before, this is my favorite:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvLR5q8kO24

While it is inspirational to know he makes his living doing what he loves, producing music (his studio in West Chester is called TribeSound, does private lessons, and performs whenever he can), his humility and outlook on life set him apart. I knew he was loving and kind to others, and every time we crossed paths and had opportunity to chat he’d surprise with what he did in his free time, often visiting Africa or South American 3rd world areas and immersing himself in the culture.

He’d tell of adventures in Africa, and how he spent December 21, 2012 camping on Mayan ruins, all sorts of unusual and enriching things. So I was super impressed (though not at all surprised) to see this on this the Facebook:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poawWDTIPQU

I’m not trying to push his Kickstarter campaign, just thought it was super inspiring what he created, how he spends his time. I am proud to call him a friend (though if he ever sees this, hopes he doesn’t out what I waste my free time doing), and think what he stumbled into and is bringing awareness may be appropriate and of interest here.
    What is the purpose of your presence?

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to donk For This Useful Post:

1inMany (28th January 2015), 777 (28th January 2015), Calz (28th January 2015), Dreamtimer (12th August 2015), modwiz (28th January 2015), sandy (28th January 2015), ZShawn (11th August 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,020 Times in 1,226 Posts
    My friend's movie premiered this weekend, fun little "red carpet" event in West Chester (PA, U.S.)...he did a really good job with it. It's really wild watching him go to the refugee camps...heart wrenching what these people are going through...one dude calls him out, something like: people have been here before, just like you...then they go and they forget about us, we're still here.

Will be interesting to see what he does with it, both his movie (which was really well produced, on very little budget) and his spreading of awareness of the plight of these people. Funny part was I saw it with my babe's friend I'd never met...he was really impressed with the movie and Chris' courage for doing it and going there, but at dinner he was like: it's worse in my country (Syria)...

I wish I could remember the number he gave but Cotter's Eritrea numbers was pushing (or maybe over) 100k just in the 3 camps he visited in Ethiopia, and I want to say (but might be lying) my new Syrian friend mentioned 800k

Check it out if you get a chance:

http://www.theeritreanexodus.com/
    What is the purpose of your presence?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to donk For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (12th August 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    talented bunch thanks for the links.

mans inhumanity to man continues unabated

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ZShawn For This Useful Post:

donk (11th August 2015)