Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Syriza wins elections in Greece

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,449 Times in 494 Posts

Syriza wins elections in Greece

"The results of the exit polls were announced right after polling stations across the country closed at 1700 GMT".

------------------

rt has just carried the news.

http://rt.com/news/226119-greece-ele...esults-syriza/

Syriza is a left wing, anti-austerity party who's preisident wants to drive EU. out of Greece, which in itself has many implications..

interesting times.. good luck greece!

Last edited by Elbie, 25th January 2015 at 19:49.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Elbie For This Useful Post:

Altaira (25th January 2015), bsbray (29th January 2015), Calz (28th January 2015), Curt (28th January 2015), modwiz (25th January 2015), Ria (25th January 2015), sandy (25th January 2015), Seikou-Kishi (25th January 2015), Sooz (26th January 2015), Woody (25th January 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,564 Times in 1,218 Posts
    This seems like very good news. Good luck Greece indeed

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Seikou-Kishi For This Useful Post:

Altaira (25th January 2015), Calz (28th January 2015), Curt (28th January 2015), Elbie (25th January 2015), modwiz (25th January 2015), sandy (25th January 2015), Woody (25th January 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    greeks likely to send europa back - as undeliverable

*" Europa (yoo-ROH-pa). Phoenician princess abducted to Crete by Zeus. Europa was gathering wildflowers in a seaside meadow when she came upon a beautiful white bull. This bull was uncommonly gentle and did not inspire fear. Decking its horns with flowers, Europa was at length emboldened to climb upon its back. Whereupon the bull - actually the god Zeus in disguise - took off at a trot and dove into the sea. Europa was carried off to the island of Crete, where she became the mother of King Minos."

The abduction of Europa, from a tinted lithograph of the
    original in the Uffizi Palace, Florence.
    Last edited by Elbie, 25th January 2015 at 20:04.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elbie For This Useful Post:

Altaira (25th January 2015), Curt (28th January 2015), modwiz (25th January 2015), sandy (25th January 2015), Seikou-Kishi (25th January 2015), Woody (25th January 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,402 Times in 1,356 Posts
    This is going to be very interesting. If Greeks leave the EU that will be a revolution, but as I see this is not going to happen they don't intend to leave the EU and openly say they want to milk the EU, I'm not sure Merkel will agree.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Altaira For This Useful Post:

Elbie (25th January 2015), sandy (25th January 2015), Woody (25th January 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Altaira View Post
    This is going to be very interesting. If Greeks leave the EU that will be a revolution, but as I see this is not going to happen they don't intend to leave the EU and openly say they want to milk the EU, I'm not sure Merkel will agree.
    nigel farage of the uk's ukip must be delighted by the development.

if nige wins the election in may, anything is possible..ie. bye bye EU conunion

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elbie For This Useful Post:

Altaira (25th January 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Elbie View Post
    nigel farage of the uk's ukip must be delighted by the development.

if nige wins the election in may, anything is possible..ie. bye bye EU conunion
    Nigel only spits bugs to be elected just like the Greek nationalists did, wait and see what will happen in a few months. I will be surprise if they change something in Greece.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Altaira For This Useful Post:

Elbie (25th January 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Altaira View Post
    Nigel only spits bugs to be elected just like the Greek nationalists did, wait and see what will happen in a few months. I will be surprise if they change something in Greece.
    you are painting a bleak picture altaira. i don't suppose people in greece might give a toss if you and/or other cynicals do get surprised some months down the line.
    Last edited by Elbie, 25th January 2015 at 23:39. Reason: changed cynics to cynicals to meet sensitivities

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Elbie View Post
    you are painting a bleak picture altaira. i don't suppose anyone in greece might give a toss if you and/or other cynics do get surprised some months down the line.
    Just because you disagree doesn't mean I am a cynic. I suppose everyone is entitled to opinion without being labeled.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Altaira For This Useful Post:

Retired Member
    Thanks
    altaira: Just because you disagree doesn't mean I am a cynic. I suppose everyone is entitled to opinion without being labeled.
    no offence was intended.

if you passed a cynical opinion, it's not to say you are a cynic

peace

Retired Member
    Thanks
    I probably misinterpreted it it, sorry Elbie.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Altaira For This Useful Post:

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Perhaps this is not surprise for anyone.

OPERATION GLADIO: A Warning to Syriza and Greece?

It has not been an easy first day in office for Greece’s newly elected anti-austerity party Syriza.

Two Greeks and eight French were killed when a “Greek F16 fighter jet crashed at Albacete airbase in central Spain”. The jet was taking part in a training exercise in a “Tactical Leadership Programme of NATO”.

Syriza’s election represents a direct attack on Anglo-American and NATO aims for the world; as their anti-austerity policies reject the financial oligarchy’s IMF. A definitive analysis has been assembled detailing how Hollande’s recent change in rhetoric, refusing to demonize Putin in particular, could have posed a strong motive for the recent attack in Paris.

Such a theory is not beyond the realms of possibility. One only needs to look towards Operation Gladio, a NATO stay-behind operation during the Cold War that sought to ensure Communism was never able to gain a foothold in Europe; by supporting radical right-wing groups to suppress, through acts of terrorism, any attempts of Communist groups to acquire power.

This historical context, combined with the rise of anti-Western financial oligarchy Syriza party in Greece, makes this jet crash “accident” a story that could potentially just be the tip of an approaching iceberg. Is this Operation Gladio back in action once again; sending a message to Greece that their policy direction needs to remain in favour of Western financial interests? Unfortunately for NATO, it is not only the Greeks they have to deal with as the world begins to turn on Western oligarchy.
    http://21stcenturywire.com/2015/01/2...za-and-greece/

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Altaira For This Useful Post:

Bob (27th January 2015), Elbie (28th January 2015), Ria (28th January 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks

The new far-left government in Greece dropped a bombshell on its first day in office by abjuring an EU statement on Russia.

It said in a press communique on Tuesday (27 January): “the aforementioned statement was released without the prescribed procedure to obtain consent by the member states and particularly without ensuring the consent of Greece”.

“In this context, it is underlined that Greece does not consent to this statement”.

It added that its new PM, Alexis Tsipras, expressed “discontent” in a phone call to EU foreign relations chief Federica Mogherini.

The EU statement on Russia, published on Tuesday morning, claimed all 28 leaders had agreed Russia bears “responsibility” for a rocket attack on the Ukrainian city of Mariupol, which killed 30 people.

It also called on foreign ministers to “consider any appropriate action” - further sanctions on Russia.

It was drafted by the cabinet of EU Council chief Donald Tusk, a Russia-critical Pole, on Monday evening.

His people say he phoned Tsipras and that they contacted all the capitals' “sherpas” - senior officials dealing with EU issues in each leader's private office.

They also say no one on the Greek side voiced objections until Tuesday morning.

They then suggested adding a footnote to the statement, but “as Greece did not want such a footnote, it was clear to us that we could publish the statement as agreed in the evening”.

For its part, the Greek embassy to the EU is playing down the fiasco as confusion linked to the hand-over of power in Athens.

But one EU diplomat told this website Greece had tried to remove the line blaming Russia for the Mariupol killing.

He said Austria, Hungary, and Slovakia also tried, and failed, to “water down” the communique.

Meanwhile, an EU Council official said the situation - a retroactive abjuration of an EU line - has “never happened before”.

“I guess this means it’s now a statement of 27 EU heads of state or government instead of 28 and we will have to add the footnote”
    , he said.

“But it’s not a legally binding document anyway, so it doesn’t become invalid in that sense”.

more at the link

https://euobserver.com/foreign/127393

---

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elbie For This Useful Post:

Altaira (28th January 2015), modwiz (28th January 2015), Ria (28th January 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,684 Times in 1,382 Posts
    Hmmmmm.........

Iceland and Greeceland....... I think I see a too slippery to catch theme developing.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Useful Post:

Altaira (28th January 2015), Elbie (28th January 2015), modwiz (28th January 2015), Ria (28th January 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 41,242 Times in 6,698 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by norman View Post
    Hmmmmm.........

Iceland and Greeceland....... I think I see a too slippery to catch theme developing.
    The Earth is moving. It will be breathtaking.
    "To learn who rules over you simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -- Voltaire

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Misery loves company. Wisdom has to look for it." -- Anonymous

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to modwiz For This Useful Post:

Altaira (28th January 2015), bsbray (29th January 2015), Elbie (28th January 2015), Ria (28th January 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,684 Times in 1,382 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by modwiz View Post
    The Earth is moving. It will be breathtaking.

Maybe that's why it's currently a raging blizzard outside my house right now. It's so phenomenal that it's frightening ( breathtaking ). And the daft thing is, unless it snows down south where all the media talking heads and producers live, we hardly hear a squeak about winter weather. I haven't had snow like this fall out of the sky on me since 1963 in Wales, as a child. Even more concerning, the weather forecast for next week is for things to get even more 'dire'. I have food to live comfortably for a week maybe, then things will get interesting rapidly.

edit: if I disappear for a while, it'll be because my internet connection has died.

Last edited by norman, 28th January 2015 at 19:55.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Useful Post:

Altaira (28th January 2015), Bob (28th January 2015), Elbie (28th January 2015)